July 30, 2014 | 992 users online

Palettes - Coastal Scents - 88 eyeshadow palette

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2011 10:43:00 PM More reviews by NyVirgo1972

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So yes, not very good quality. We have to admit that. The pigment is not so dense and it blends about as well as crayolas...but if you buy this you are not expecting urban decay or nars quality.

For what it is this palette is perfect. It is a playful palette for experimenting with color and trying new looks. I played arou d with the greens and then went out and bought a few nars and ester lauder green hues.

My only issue with the packaging is that it is a little hard t open...but I am an idiot so maybe that is really a personality flaw on my part. Lol

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2011 9:35:00 AM More reviews by tinytapa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I own both the original and shimmer 88 palettes and, though they may look alike at first glance, they are quite different from one another.

First, the shimmer palette: What I like about this palette is that the colours really do shimmer beautifully, without being glittery or inappropriate for daytime wear. I don't find these colours to be nearly as pigmented as their matte counterparts, so I tend to apply the matte version of a colour first (from my original palette) and then layer the shimmer colour overtop. I get the best payoff this way. I also find that there is more fallout from this palette than the original.

In terms of the original palette, I find the colours to be more pigmented, though this varies considerably. There is less fallout in the original palette, in my opinion, though some colours do seem to have this problem more than others.

Both palettes have issues with chalky and unblendable colours (particularly the lighter shades), but both palette have some beautiful shadows, too. I guess what I'm saying is that there is not a lot of consistency - some are great, some are crap! Regardless of the palette I use, I ALWAYS apply a primer first - this helps with the less pigmented colours, and also increases the staying power by a significant amount. These colours can also be applied wet, which I recommend for less pigmented shades or for a foiled effect.

I DON'T recommend using a brush with white hair on this palette - my MAC 239 brush was used to apply a hot pink shade from the original palette and no amount of deep cleansing will get the stains off. BOO! (The lighter shades probably won't have this problem.)

Finally, I seemed to have scored with some decent quality packaging - I haven't had any shadows come loose. I've travelled considerably with both (30 hour plane trips, across the Pacific with several stopovers) and they haven't sustained any damage. I'm impressed! However, these are not at all practical for daily travel in a handbag - you have to hope that colours won't require touch-ups while you're out!

Overall, these palettes are fun to play with and I've achieved some very cool looks with them. I bought them because I wanted more COLOUR in my life, but wasn't sure which ones I would use the most. To this end, these are fabulous. And, let's face it, the price is right!

I'm not likely to repurchase, and will probably replace the shades I use most with the MAC counterparts, which are more consistent and contain less potentially harmful ingredients. But, you know, I would probably purchase this to give as a gift to a makeup newbie or someone who is keen to experiment. So, who knows?!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2011 10:37:00 PM More reviews by KristaSelene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love having this palette in my collection! I am the type of girl that sticks to neutral eye looks but every now and again, I like a bit of color. I typically wear MAC eyeshadow but I don't want to invest a ton of money on bright or specific colors that I may only touch a few times. This is when Coastal Scents comes in handy. This palette provides most of the colors you could ever need. It's a cost effective way to experiment with colors and looks you otherwise wouldn't have bothered with. When you discover colors that work for you, you can find comparable shades that are bigger and of better quality from higher end brands. Some of the eyeshadows in this palette are better than others but with a good primer/base and a little patience, I have been successful with the majority of them. The palette is a bit fragile and some pans can come loose (I only had one that fell out)- so remember to be careful with it! I highly recommend having this in your collection! The quality is not over the top phenomenal but it's definitely nice enough! I really enjoy working with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2011 12:19:00 PM More reviews by morgs5555

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought one of these palettes and they are great to have in your kit. It is good to have all the pigments and pressed shadows that you love but this is a great backup. It is slim and lightweight and the colors are suprisingly highly pigmented. It is good to have just in case you need a shade that you don't have a full size of.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2011 12:07:00 PM More reviews by xrainbowbarf

I LOVE my palettes. Love. Thing is, you need to buy both the shimmer and the matte palettes because both palettes serve different purposes. They are two totally different palettes and if you buy this product, I really suggest buying both. For 88 different colors at $20/each (even cheaper if you get them on ebay) its totally worth the purchase.

The major downfall with these is that if you're looking for a matte look with absolutely NO shimmer, you will need to use a primer. Primer should be a given no matter the product, but many people do not use it and then complain about the brand's quality.

The quality is wonderful with primer. I use the shimmer shades as a base for whatever look I'm going for and they apply bright, beautifully, smooth and SUPER pigmented. I will then use the matte shades for the rest of the blending, contouring and shading. I have recieved compliments from makeup artists who are shocked when I tell them the brand - I guess amongst pros this brand has a tarnished reputation but imo, its probably by people who need beyond amazing products in order to make their makeup look good. If you are halfway decent at applying makeup, this is a great brand to use. I've also learned that this brand doesn't do too well with brushes but works very well with sponge tip applicators.

Is it MAC quality? Some shades really, truly are. Others not so much but they're still very good. Keep in mind what you're paying for this palette and place your expectations accordingly. It is not high-end quality and it cannot compete with the likes of dior, lancome or anything of that nature, but it is not so incredibly subpar as to not even consider it. For $20/palette, I find the colors and quality to be great and very well worth the purchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by princessglam

i bought this product because of all the hypes ive heard about these CS palettes and everyone seemed to have it so i figured it must be pretty good! When i got this in the mail, I was soooo DISAPPOINTED with the quality! Very cheap quality. Lots of fall out and the colors were not pigmented! Obviously most of the gurus on youtube got this for free and got paid to advertise this. I dnt mind spending on expensive make ups anymore coz its really worth it than buying these crap that doesnt work! Its freakinf chalky and its not even close to be compared to mac e/s!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2011 11:42:00 PM More reviews by reenerneener

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

i have no idea why people buy this from coastal scents, they charge WAY too much considering it's all over eBay for $10ish, if not less. sure, i had to wait about a week or so to receive it from hong kong, but it was way, way less than CS's prices. anyways. these palettes are okay; for the price i paid, i shouldn't whine too much. some colours are just a chalky mess, some are amazing, it's pretty hit or miss. i hate the packaging, though. it smells weird & if you drop this, chances are a couple shades could shatter. i do like that there is a nice colour range which can make blending/transitioning much easier.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2011 5:59:00 PM More reviews by MzSiStarr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm Obsessed with this Palette!!! OMG I've been using it every single day for over a year. Even when I use a different brand of eyeshadow. I always find a way to incorporate a shadow from this palette in my look. I consider myself to be pretty experienced with makeup because I started wearing it in middle school (yup tryna be grown smh) but no matter the level of expertise, everyone should own this! The color pay-off is ridiculously pigmented for $20. I'm a fan of Coastal Scents. I own 3 of their eyeshadow palettes (including the 28 neutrals which is absolutely gorgeous, a staple for work), a blush palette, a concealer palette, and several of their loose glitter powders. Very Satisfied Custy!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2011 3:03:00 AM More reviews by starlesssky386

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I got this for Christmas last year. Sooo excited when I got it! Most of the shadows are great. A few of them are chalky, and some of the shades are so similar they are basically the same thing. But that is maybe 4 of them? Love this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by yvettelovesmakeup

LOVE this palette! The pigmentation of the eyeshadows is so good! I cant wait to buy more coastal scents palettes! Definitely recommend this to everybody!!!!