Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge

4.1

Sponge

on 7/9/2010 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this sponge. I love the finish it gives my face. And the pointy-ish end is so great for around your eyes and nose. The only downside to this sponge is that it seems like I use alot of product when using it. You have to clean it pretty often. But using alot of product and having to clean it often doesn't keep me from using it! As of right now this is the ONLY way I apply my foundation.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

great sponge. can't really compare it to the beauty blender sponge since they both have great features. this is much more dense so it's less bouncy and i can move it over my face a lot faster. it also has a wider, flatter surface so i can cover larger areas at once. the beauty blender is great though for a softer feel and the extra bounce provides slightly better coverage. i have both and i use them interchangeably. they're both great for coverage.

on 6/24/2010 7:20:00 AM

I was looking for a beauty blender-type sponge because the actual BB sponge is not readily available in my area (Montreal Can.) I checked out the one at Sephora but it was 22$...a little steep IMO. Fortunately, I live 1 hour away from a US town with a Target and ended up buying this SK sponge which IIRC, is about 10USD. Nice packaging, and I liked the price, especially when I am about to try something new.

I specifically bought the sponge to try with thicker foundations like Revlon CS or Nars SG. I am on the quest to get a flawless face and I am struggling with elements to get to my goal such color match,even finish and application method. I have been using fingers, regular wedge sponges and 187.

My first attempt was with my SG (in Mont Blanc) and OMG what a difference this sponge makes. I wet the sponge, dabbed it into a blob of SG from the back of my hand and stippled it onto my face. This application method was fast,even and very easy to apply. The sponge is very ergomic so it is easy to hold especially when bouncing off your face. It is contoured so that you can get into the nooks and crannies.

Well, all that being said, I love this product. I will repurchase again. I'm not sure how long it will last but I think I will get much more life out of it than a regular wedge sponge. Two cons, I have to travel and hour away to get it and it doesn't wash completely clean, which irritates me a bit but that's just me.
Cheers!

on 6/18/2010 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Then after reading reviews and asking for a cheaper alternative of the beauty blender. MUAers recommended me the the Sonia Kashuk blending sponge. I got it for $8.99 at Target (luckily, they had it on sale that day). I have both the beauty blender and ths SK sponge, but I prefer this one. The SK is more firmer.

I don't like liquid foundations before, due to being "streaky", and I need to blend / buff it well w/ a brush. I don't have that much time just doing my makeup. Now, I switched to powder to liquid because of this sponge. It it very easy to use, it blends my makeup well by just doing "the bouncing motion", saves me time putting my foundation.

Just clean this sponge every after using to avoid bacteria harboring, that causes break out.

on 6/11/2010 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This sponge has to be LOVE! It's $10 dollars at my Target and it's SO CUTE! I have the purple one. I usually dampen the sponge then dip it in my foundation and start stippling/bouncing it on my face. Airbrush finish! <3

THOW ALL YOUR FOUNDATION BRUSHES AWAY!!! This is seriously the greatest little sponge EVER!! I get soooo many compliments on how flawless my face looks. Really gives you that airbrushed natural look. Despite what everyone says, I really find myself using less product on my face....

***Make sure you use it damp!

on 5/25/2010 2:12:00 AM

I purchased the purple version about a week ago. The first time I used it, I was super impressed. It left my makeup with a nice finish after applying liquid foundation. The next day, it wasn't as amazing, but I thought it was just me being lazy or something. Well the NEXT day, I knew for sure it wasn't me. It wasn't blending as well, because even after I wiped it down with mkup remover, it had residue it had soaked up. I tried to clean it, and boyyy was that a pain. It still isn't clean! I sprayed it with my mkup remover, wiped, rinsed, soaped up, rinsed, rubbed, squished, rinsed! OMG!!! It still isn't clean!!! A bunch of makeup soaked up into the thing! (What a waste of foundation btw) Mainly on the main end (wider part). I could feel the foundation (Photoready) kinda just sitting on top of it. Grr. And I guess even with being super gentle, it still wasn't durable enough during cleansing. It has two small rips and a chunk missing!??? This was expensive for a sponge first off, and it's not even durable. I didn't even get to use it for a week without it getting...ruined I guess. I'm super bummed :/ Maybe it's just me not knowing how to clean it :( But I think it wasn't worth it anyway :p WOULD NOT REPURCHASE. I'll look for another sponge. meh. :(

on 5/19/2010 3:28:00 PM

I used to apply my foundation with the ELF Powder Brush or a regular makeup wedge sponge. I bought this thinking it was a cheaper alternative to the Beauty Blender, which I was too cheap to try. I liked this the first time I used it, but that was it. Mine was the purple one, not the blue as pictured. It is dense, impossible to clean, and doesn't absorb water and expand. Therefore, it doesn't apply my makeup well. I threw it away this morning and ordered the Beauty Blender. Hopefully I'll have better results with that! In the meantime, it's back to wedge sponges and my ELF brush.

UPDATE: I just received my Beauty Blender in the mail yesterday and used it this morning. NOTHING like the Sonia Kashuk sponge. The Beauty Blender gets huge when you moisten it and does a wonderful job buffing out my Colorstay foundation. I should have just saved my money on the Sonia Kashuk sponge and splurged for a Beauty Blender in the first place. There is no comparison.

on 4/26/2010 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I read about this sponge in a magazine, and I thought it was really neat! I mean, it's just a cool looking sponge, and blending make-up isn't that hard to do without a fancy blending tool, but it was still cool. Then I saw how much it was-$10. ten bucks for a SPONGE?! I thought it was crazy. But something told me to look at the reviews for it. When I did, and I saw all the reviews were great, I talked myself into buying it. So I did, and I love it!
The shape really contours to the shape of your face and does a great job blending.
two thumbs up for the expensive cool sponge!

on 4/3/2010 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I use Bare Minerals makeup. I have always used the BE brushes to apply & found that my dry skin could use something more hydrating. Not wanting to give up the makeup I use, I use this to apply my foundation, bronzer, blush & highlighter. It gives a soft, dewey finish even with mineral makeup. I like that I'm forced to wash it after each daily use because it's nice to use a clean sponge everyday. I have not tried the Beauty Blender because of the price & this alternative. I pat or bounce the sponge on my face & it leaves no marks or streaks. It's fantastic! I have the blue one rather than the purple & have had no issues with it falling apart or ripping. I use my Bare Escentuals brush cleanser to clean it daily. When I use this sponge, I get it wet & wring it out. I don't dry it further on a towel. I prefer it to be very damp when I apply.
EDIT: as of 4/13/10; I have 2 tiny rips in my beauty sponge on the wider tip which is the side I use most. I will probably have to purchase a new one within a week or two since I use it everyday. Still loving it & recently washed all of my face BE brushes & put them away because I really don't use them anymore. I kept my blush brushes out because I do occasionally use those instead of the sponge, I find that it's faster to use the brushes for blush & highlight & especially with the bronzer.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools