October 24, 2014 | 1632 users online

Pressed Powders - Urban Decay - De-Slick Mattifying Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2012 5:35:00 PM More reviews by eeeee

Definitely one of the top mattifying powders that I've tried. The powder is a light purple color that is completely translucent on my tan skin. I always apply it with a brush so that I can easily just get rid of the excess. It works, but it's not a miracle product, my skin is just too oily and I have to use several blotting sheets a day. It'll keep my skin matte for a little while, but the oil will eventually seep through.

The fact that this doesn't come in a skin tone color is a plus, because those that I've tried and worked were never REALLY translucent. Also, it doesn't break me out which is always great.

Bottom line, I would repurchase because it's completely translucent, doesn't break me out and works for a short while. However, because it doesn't last as long as I would like, I don't think the price is justifiable, so I will continue my search.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2012 10:20:00 AM More reviews by applecour

I have very oily sensitive skin and this stuff works WONDERS!

I put it on over top of my tinted moisturizer & powder & it doesn't change the color at all. Just sucks up all the sebum & DOESN'T BREAK ME OUT! HOORAYYYY!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by tammyfayeFOTD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is actually pretty great. I've had it in my collection unused for quite a while, but today I decided to put it on over my regular cream foundation. All I can say is wow! The difference is definitely noticeable. As a translucent powder that's white in the pan and goes on white but can be blended out sheerly, it's perfect. I will definitely repurchase if I run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2012 9:49:00 PM More reviews by mooidness

My face is slickest than the shiniest oil pit, and those stupid oil blotting sheets were expensive and useless considering how many of them I went through in a day. I also don't wear makeup because my skin freaks out in unsightly reactions when exposed to most foreign substances. After a bit of research, I concluded that I needed a gentle transparent powder that was as close to unscented as I could hope for, and I stumbled upon the newly released Urband Decay Mattifying Powder. It was a couple bucks cheaper back then, I think, and to me, something under $30 sounds more enticing than a product waffling in the 30 dollar range.

Anyway, a bit pricey, but the cost was worth shine-free skin. When I first started using it, I thought it was the best freaking thing since sliced bread because it managed to keep the oil at bay for a couple of hours. I thought this was the definition of succes and was absolutely overjoyed. Also, it didn't seem to irritate my skin too terribly after the first week, the scent was fairly light and neutral, and the powder was completely transparent. I also thought the case fairly pretty, hefty, and sturdy--until it broke a couple of weeks later.

A fluke, right? Nope. The next one I purchased also broke in a similar fashion--around the plastic hinges near the screws. Then another after that. Then the one after that. Then, because I hadn't learned my lesson yet and southern humidity was creating a mirror effect on my face, the one after that. It breaks, I bandage it up with some tape, and curse the stupid overpriced flashy case. And before someone gets the wrong idea, I'm not abusing the case or throwing it around carelessly. I very gingerly place it in the most undisturbed portion of my purse or leave it on my dresser if I'm not going out. Inevitably, though, it breaks. OH, and once you reach the point where a little bit of the bottom metal plate shows through because you've used it for so long, the powder cracks and crumbles, leaving you with a mess of perfectly good powder that you feel awful wasting because of those hard-earned dollars you invested in it and so, you don't and deal with the mess instead.

To summarize: the couple hours of oil-free skin is not worth the cost and awful packaging that can render it useless if you don't have the patience to handle it with utmost care. I certainly don't anymore. I'll leave the rating at 3 stars though, since the actual powder itself isn't completely useless. If you don't have to carry it around with you or the company has updated the design in any way for durability, then you'll probably really like this powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by makeup8maniac

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

WOW. I have extremely oily skin, (and I mean I have to blot about 7 times a day - Two sheets on both sides) Yet with this powder on, my retouching has been reduced to just ONCE through the whole day after i first apply it in the morning! And even then, that's only if I'm going out after work.

APPLICATION: Many people are saying the sponge is rubbish, but I actually use it. When I first put it on in the morning I pat and roll it over my entire face as I find this seals on my makeup. After this I do carry a small powder brush in case of emergency touch ups, should I need them/one! as the sponge would apply too much for that.

COLOUR: It may look quite scary in the pictures and/ or the compact it comes in as to me, it does look bright white not a 'lavender' colour but you shouldn’t be deterred by that. If you are worried, give it a go with the powder brush first so you get less product on.

TEXTURE: Although I do have very oily skin, I don't enjoy looking overly powdered. Unless you applied LOADS of this, you shouldn't get that look! :-) My skin looks matte but matte as in 'my skin is 'normal' and not shin rather than 'my skin is not shiny as I have so much powder make up on'...If that makes sense. You honestly could not tell I have powder on.

PRICE: I paid £20. This is high end to me but tbh, I would pay £40 for this little gem! (Although I hope Urban decay don't see this! lol)
You may think it's expensive but cost per wear it works out as pittance! Think how much you would pay for a party dress for example, and you might only wear that a few times a year. I will wear this product every day and I’m sure it will last me months maybe even a year!

For shiny ladies who would rather not be so, yet still want a natural look, I cannot recommend this highly enough!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 11:21:00 PM More reviews by PterodactylStyle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

This is a great product. It has long-lasting oil-control and is transparent. It just blends into my makeup or my bare skin without any chalkiness or amplifying any dryness in my skin, I have been a long time user of MAC's Blot Powder and I really like this a lot more. The packaging is great, too! I'd definitely buy it again, it's a little more expensive than MAC but I think it's worth it since I won't use it nearly as much as the Blot powder which I'd have to reapply every 2 hours or so, whereas with De-Slick I seem to never really *need* to reapply. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2011 8:29:00 PM More reviews by mpshouse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

UD De-Slick is one of my favorite powders.For reference, I'm currently dry and about NW 10-15, with that bluish kind of undertone. The powder has a pale lavender tint in the compact, but goes on colorless ( remember- pale and bluish here) when applied lightly. Though the ingredients would make it seem completely matte, I find that over ss, bare skin, or TM, De-Slick has a very natural finish, with almost a glow. At the same time, it takes off the shine. The sponge which comes with it is useless - thin and cheap-feeling. I apply a small amount with a fluffy powder brush to get a very pretty, natural look, which usually needs no touch-up during the day. In warm weather, I may touch up my nose with just a dab of De-Slick powder on my fingertip. The compact is well-made and weighty. It is a lovely translucent purple, with what are supposed to be edgy designs. They simply look like scrollwork unless one looks closely, so this compact is adult-looking but eye-catching when whipped out of a purse. It took me almost a year to use it up. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2011 10:08:00 AM More reviews by COCO792

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Urban Decay is one of those brands that just doesn't work for me. everything I tried: gloss(too much colour), foundation(yellow as hell), and bronzer(drag queen-esque) was just a nightmare.

this is the only product along with 24/7 concealer pencil from UD that is actually worth talking about, and boy is this powder worth talking about. it's amazing!

this is for glowy foundations that often go greasy, this brings down the bad kind of shine while still letting the "glow" through. this doesn't make you matte, it just stops shine and brings luminous foundations down to a natural finish. and for keeping your makeup in place on a night out when you makeup starts to slide a bit.

my foundation lasts longer with this. I don't need to re-touch during the day. you will only need to re-touch once during the day, and that's only if you want to have no shine through whatsoever. that's why I love this so much, because I don't like matte foundations(they are dull) and use luminous foundation but sometimes need a little grease control over my T-zone.

you only need to use the tiniest amount of product( I've had mine for 2years+). anymore than two dabs into the pan will show white-cast over foundation.

the only problem I have with it though is that it's not completely transparent. it is white with a very slight lavender tinge. this was launched way before UD's re-vamp, so was back when UD was on the gothic side of "edgy makeup". because the only way you can try to look natural with stark white foundation, is if it has a blue/purple tinge. (and even then it doesn't look natural) so that's probably why this has the lavendar shade in, to try and make a natural colour over white.

I went to a picnic yesterday in warm humid weather for around 4hours. I had Maybelline dream matte mousse on which started to melt a bit and go greasy after 1hour. I dabbed a little bit of this on my T-zone and cheeks and I was good for the rest of the day.

the only time I've gone greasy with this on was on holiday sunbathing in nearly 30°C weather in Tenerife. which is obvious as nothing can keep your sun cream sliding off in such hot weather. so there you heard if from me - it takes nearly 30°C weather for this baby to go greasy.

this is discontinued in the UK :( I'm nearly down to the bottom of the compact and I'll be sad to see it go.

BEWARE MATTE LOVERS: this doesn't work on matte foundation. because you will be matte already, this can't make you any more matte so will just sit on top of matte foundation leaving a white-cast. but if you must stay absolutley matte, you can dab a little bit of this over areas of the face that go shiny after a few hours. and only when your shine comes through or like I said it will leave a white cast.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2011 2:22:00 PM More reviews by samthemoose

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I loved it! I have super oily skin and I've been looking for a proper oil control product forever! None of them unfortunetely have seemed to work :(
Well until I found this one. At first I thought it wasn't working for me because I was swiping it across my face with my little Bobby Brown kabuki face brush but it turns out you're supposed to dab it on. That's when I realized how great this product really is. My face is so oily to the point where I have to blot and touch up my make-up every hour but with this little gem, it's gone down to three hours. That in my book is a win because no other product have ever done that before. For those with less oily skin it will probably have even longer lasting results. I also love the little purple compact it comes in, so cute! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2011 5:23:00 PM More reviews by ElishiaMarie6682

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

LOVE this! I have super oily skin and this stuff is a lifesaver. It goes on a little light so you have to blend it. 4 lippies due to price!