August 2, 2014 | 1594 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 5:09:00 AM More reviews by jootje

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a tester of this stuff in my search for the perfect daily sunscreen. I have an oily skin so I really want something that mattifies or at least doesn't make my skin more oily. This stuff did the trick. It didn't leave a white residue at all and it didn't make my face more oily. It worked great under make-up. Very good product.

I didn't end up buying this product though because of the steep competition (Clarins UV plus, Lancome DNA guard face fluid). I put this one on one side of my face and Clarins UV plus on the other side and left it like that all day. I saw no difference between the two in regards of white residue and shine, but the Clarins did hide my pores a bit better (only in the beginning of the day, later there was no difference) and it felt a bit lighter on the skin. The difference was absolutely minimal though and I don't think it would have mattered which one I bought, but I had to choose one. The lighter feeling of Clarins was the deciding factor for me, but Chanel has a higher SPF so it really depends on what you think is important. I think the Chanel and the Lancome (which I was using for years before and which I looove aswell) are also really similar. For now I chose the Clarins, but who knows I might try the Chanel next time (or go back to lancome). They're all great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2010 6:21:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the newest incarnation of Chanel's facial sunblock, now in SPF 50 instead of SPF 30. UV Essentiel Multi-Protection Daily UV Care SPF 50 is a thin, milky white sunscreen with the active ingredients Octinoxate 7.5%, Titanium Dioxide 2% and Zinc Oxide 17.1%.

According to the Chanel website, "Skinís guardian angel provides invisible daily protection against environmental aggressors. A free-radical and anti-pollution shield with a Vitamin E derivative and plant extracts empowers this oil-free, lightweight formula to safeguard skin against environmental pollutants. Licorice Root Extract and a highly effective combination of UVA and UVB filters help diminish and prevent the appearance of dark spots and signs of premature aging."

According to the ingredients list, the licorice root extract is included in very small quantity, as are any other antioxidants, but at least the zinc oxide percentage is quite high. Even with the zinc oxide content, this sunscreen does not leave a white cast (at least on my fair skin) on dry down...even compared to the relatively clear Clarins UV Plus, and even when applied at the proper rate of 1/4 teaspoon for the face and 1/4 teaspoon for the neck. It does apply as a sheer white, but upon drying (which it does remarkably fast), it gives a soft matte finish and blurs imperfections. I have found that it can double as a makeup primer for my clear, normal/combo skin. It wears beautifully throughout the day without getting shiny. Makeup applies well over it without pilling. As with all Chanel products, there is a fragrance to it, so be aware if you are sensitive or averse. However, application is so pleasant and easy, and the finish is so lovely, I can overlook the fragrance. I have yet to find another facial sunscreen that is as cosmetically elegant as this one, and I've tried many, many, many products. The fact that it is primarily a physical block is also a plus in my book.

Of course, being Chanel, the price tag is obscene at $52 for 1 oz. I don't recommend skimping on the product, either. Although a very small amount will cover your face due to the thin and easily spreadable texture, you still need 1/4 teaspoon to get adequate sunscreen coverage or you are essentially just wasting product. Because of the cost, I will probably use it exclusively on my face and use one of my much less expensive sunscreens on my neck and chest. However, in my opinion, this one is well worth the cost for the ultimate payoff...a clear, smooth, matte finish that can double as a primer and offers superb, high-level protection. I feel this may very well be my HG sunscreen (finally!) and I plan to repurchase!

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2010 4:10:00 AM More reviews by blackholes

I decided to go in for this product after very high recommendations by one of the Chanel SAs. She told me that one bottle would go a long, long way, and trust me, it has. I was initially apprehensive because when you take a drop of this liquid on your finger, you can feel the oil content in it. But after application, it spreads very smoothly, and does not feel oily at all. I have an oily/combination skin, and this sunscreen has been working out extremely well.This has been my staple sunscreen under my foundation. I purchased this product around 6 months back, and I have still about half the bottle remaining.

Be sure to shake the bottle thoroughly before applying. It would also be advisable to apply mosturiser before applying this product, which then spreads like a dream. 3-4 drops is enough to cover the entire face and neck region. The only drawback would be its exorbitant price[ given the small size of the bottle], but considering how long it lasts, I'd say its worth it. I would definitely be repurchasing again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2009 3:10:00 PM More reviews by greentea420

This is probably the best sunscreen in the entire world for FOr ALL ETERNITY for people with combo/oily skin. It's in a really small bottle so you feel kinda guilty paying $50 dollars for it. But it does last a good while, and oohhh....is it worth it. You shake the bottle, and you only need a little bit like a dime size or less and it just smooths over your skin and it leaves a matte soft feeling. There's absolutely nooo stickiness, no gross oil slick shine. and the best thing of all....it doesn't break you out. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it~ I'm on my second bottle

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2009 3:06:00 PM More reviews by melliecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my HG sunscreen! I am very particular about protecting my skin, and I wear a high SPF even in winter. My constant problem? Every high-level sunscreen before this left my face super-shiny, no matter what I put on top of it. Finally I went to makeupalley.com and discovered this - and decided that I had to try it. Don't get me wrong, it IS expensive - but the gorgeous coverage makes it worth it. I would rather spend $$$ on something that I absolutely love, and which does what I really want it to, rather than use a cheaper product that requires more effort to cover up the super-shinies. I wear Chanel matte lumiere liquid foundation over this, and the combination is absolutely perfect. I have truly discovered my HG combination! I'm curious to see how long it lasts, since it is such a ridiculously small bottle - but I'm on month number two and so far so good.
EDIT: Again, a year later and this is still my HG sunscreen. I've tried numerous other brands and nothing has ever compared to this. The only problem is that it is SO expensive! I am now alternating this with La Roche-Posay ultra light SPF 50 sunscreen, which is half the price, and although it's not as good as my beloved Chanel, it's a fairly close second. For days when I really want to protect my skin but still look matte and gorgeous, I will always reach for my Chanel.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2009 2:12:00 PM More reviews by shooby11

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent product. I'm very particular about sticky stuff on my face but I didn't mind this sunscreen at all. I've been avoiding a separate sunscreen and opting for some SPF in a tinted moisturizer instead - but those products never have a high enough protection factor.

I tried this sunscreen on the advice of the reviews here, and they were right. I went to the department store and sampled Shiseido and Lancome while I was there as well - Chanel was by far the superior product. I ended up buying the Chanel for my vacation and it was very effective and didn't bother me at all. The texture is velvety and it glides on smoothly. I have combination skin and like a little bit of coverage so I applied a lightweight coverup over it (Prescriptives Traceless) - it worked like a charm. I hardly noticed it on at all.

It is pricey, but well worth it. I will be repurchasing when the little bottle runs out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2009 6:38:00 PM More reviews by trigforner

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm actually not a user of this product but I still think it's amazing. I borrowed this from my sister and I must say it's an excellent sunscreen because of its consistency. It doesn't have that thick, oily consistency that most sunscreens do. As a matter of fact, it was so lightweight that it felt like I was putting WATER on my face. It was amazing, and couldn't believe it was SPF30. I don't use it because I'm lazy and I like using a moisturizer with SPF in it already (for reference, I use Lancome's bienfait multi-vital SPF 30, HG) instead of putting on a moisturizer and then SPF. But if I weren't lazy, this would definitely be my HG :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2009 4:46:00 PM More reviews by poonamkaur

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For years, I was using Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 45 for my daily facial sunscreen, and not once did I think that it was contributing to occasional breakouts until I suddenly stopped using it and started using UV Essentiel. I paid $57 CAD (+tax) for 1 ounce of this stuff, which was extreme in the moment but I'm pretty thrilled that I did! It's a very light, non-greasy, milky fluid that glides on and leave no whitish cast on my skin at all (I'm East Indian, NC35, so this is pretty awesome). It sinks in with incredible ease and works beautifully under make-up. A little goes a long way, so the fact that this bottle is only an ounce doesn't bother me all that much. Furthermore, I have been breakout-free since I switched to this product. I am most definitely repurchasing once I run out! It's my HG!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2009 1:10:00 PM More reviews by ombre39

i have extremely oily skin that goes shiny after 30 mins but this is the only sunscreen i've tried so far that doesnt make me shiny!

it is very light & actually brightens my skin a bit by leaving a slight whit film on my face. however,im beginning to think this sunscreen is also the reson why my pores are getting blocked more often these days...im not 100% sure yet but usually around dinner time my face feels quite uncomfortable. when i gently run my nails on my face there seems to be 'black' dirty stuff left in my fingernails...if feels like all the dead skin cells,oil & dirt stuck together. when i used dr hauschka sunscreen i didnthave the same problem but i had a very oily face. I guess no product is perfect since this sunscreen has oil absorbing properties. my face is very protected from the sun from the high spf & although the bottle is tiny but it last a very long time.

if i can find an alternative that is equally as good minus the pore blocking i will change my sunscreen but for now,....i will still stick to this sunscreen ^^

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2009 8:08:00 PM More reviews by valentina555

this is super-concentrated, and feels like NOTHING on your face. holy grail.