November 26, 2014 | 1597 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2010 10:27:00 PM More reviews by Donnz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Such a mixed review for this one. Sunscreen is such an important part of anyone's skincare whether its in the hopes of stopping aging in its tracks or preventing skin cancer.

When it comes to my face my requirements are thus:

Shine free
Does not migrate into the eyes
Contains extra goodies in the form of antioxidants or ahas
No obvious white cast
Don't break the bank!

In terms of the first, Chanel is the best I have come across (I've tried more than I've cared to review!) Even my nose was shine free for over four hours, impressive stuff when I have the most shiny nose! However here's the cloud for that silver lining - as with anything that mattifies, it shows up every little flake on your face, especially around the eyes. You must make sure you are using a fab moisturisor underneath and exfoliate! I am currently loving St Ives firming scrub - see review) which is very gentle for the face but removes all the flakes from my Roc and Aha'd to hell and back face!

Next - It does not migrate into the eyes - joy! You do not have to purchase an extra eye sunscreen - looking at you Aveeno 30+ !! Grr.

It contains loads of extra goodies for the face and has helped to keep damage at bay as my face is super sensitive as I'm trying to get rid of my melasma from two pregnancies.

It does leave a white cast but it absorbs within 30 minutes or so.

And the final downer - I'm lucky I have a very understanding husband who smiles at my purchases instead of turning red. At $71 NZ for a teeny tiny bottle, it makes you gulp before you hand over your money that is for sure. I only use it for my face, not neck and for days I'm wearing makeup, if I'm at home I'm going to put on the Aveeno and blink furiously hoping that my eyes will stop stinging soon!

I am going to say that, no, I will not purchase again as I want to try ego's matte sunscreen with the purple stripe going across the bottle and then maybe some other higher end brands like 'to save face' spf 30+ which also dries to a matte finish but also has moisturising properties before I fold and go back to this one again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2010 3:49:00 AM More reviews by lolita80

Very thin liquid with high degree of protection. A bit similar to La Roche Posay (fluid extreme). You also need to shake a bottle before application. Less shiny than most of the sunscreens (inclusive of the Fluid Extreme by LRP), but leaves my face just slightly white\humid, thus not particularly ideal. Still it is ideally fixed with a dust of powder. But I have oily, problem skin and for me finding a skincare that actually absorbs 100% is difficult. In comparison with many others I`ve tried - this one is a winner.

When buying it I had a chance to compare it with another high-end sunscreen - from La Mer, with 30 spf, which was much thinner and absolutely invisible, but it was even higher priced and I was not psychologically prepared to buying it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2010 8:37:00 PM More reviews by moonchopin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First, do not listen to reviews that say all you need are a few drops. You are not using sunscreen effectively then. You need to use at least a teaspoon (depending on which derm u speak with) on your face and reapply every couple of hours. Except 1 ounce equals 6 teaspoons. If u use the 1/4 teaspoon method, then there are only 24 applications in this bottle. Clearly this is super expensive and should not last u more than a month if u use it every day then. It works like other japanese fluid SS I have used but it appears to be way more expensive. I like shiseido more. But this is good too. But REALLY expensive.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2010 8:24:00 PM More reviews by fanaticfringer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great sunscreen. Protects very well.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2010 4:49:00 AM More reviews by doublemintduck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

IF YOU CAN AFFORD THIS SUNSCREEN, BUY IT.

That first statement pretty much sums up my feeling for this sunscreen. $50+ for a tiny bottle might be extremely expensive for a sunscreen, but if you have the dough, do it. This will be the best sunscreen you will ever use. I use about a dime size to cover my entire face every morning after the rest of my skincare routine. It goes on extremely smoothly, and after a little bit, the slightly opaque layer will dry clear and matte. Its beautiful.

Btw, for all your products, including this one, I recommend you buy it at places with a great return policy such as any bigger department stores. If you don't like it, return it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 5:09:00 AM More reviews by jootje

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a tester of this stuff in my search for the perfect daily sunscreen. I have an oily skin so I really want something that mattifies or at least doesn't make my skin more oily. This stuff did the trick. It didn't leave a white residue at all and it didn't make my face more oily. It worked great under make-up. Very good product.

I didn't end up buying this product though because of the steep competition (Clarins UV plus, Lancome DNA guard face fluid). I put this one on one side of my face and Clarins UV plus on the other side and left it like that all day. I saw no difference between the two in regards of white residue and shine, but the Clarins did hide my pores a bit better (only in the beginning of the day, later there was no difference) and it felt a bit lighter on the skin. The difference was absolutely minimal though and I don't think it would have mattered which one I bought, but I had to choose one. The lighter feeling of Clarins was the deciding factor for me, but Chanel has a higher SPF so it really depends on what you think is important. I think the Chanel and the Lancome (which I was using for years before and which I looove aswell) are also really similar. For now I chose the Clarins, but who knows I might try the Chanel next time (or go back to lancome). They're all great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2010 6:21:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the newest incarnation of Chanel's facial sunblock, now in SPF 50 instead of SPF 30. UV Essentiel Multi-Protection Daily UV Care SPF 50 is a thin, milky white sunscreen with the active ingredients Octinoxate 7.5%, Titanium Dioxide 2% and Zinc Oxide 17.1%.

According to the Chanel website, "Skinís guardian angel provides invisible daily protection against environmental aggressors. A free-radical and anti-pollution shield with a Vitamin E derivative and plant extracts empowers this oil-free, lightweight formula to safeguard skin against environmental pollutants. Licorice Root Extract and a highly effective combination of UVA and UVB filters help diminish and prevent the appearance of dark spots and signs of premature aging."

According to the ingredients list, the licorice root extract is included in very small quantity, as are any other antioxidants, but at least the zinc oxide percentage is quite high. Even with the zinc oxide content, this sunscreen does not leave a white cast (at least on my fair skin) on dry down...even compared to the relatively clear Clarins UV Plus, and even when applied at the proper rate of 1/4 teaspoon for the face and 1/4 teaspoon for the neck. It does apply as a sheer white, but upon drying (which it does remarkably fast), it gives a soft matte finish and blurs imperfections. I have found that it can double as a makeup primer for my clear, normal/combo skin. It wears beautifully throughout the day without getting shiny. Makeup applies well over it without pilling. As with all Chanel products, there is a fragrance to it, so be aware if you are sensitive or averse. However, application is so pleasant and easy, and the finish is so lovely, I can overlook the fragrance. I have yet to find another facial sunscreen that is as cosmetically elegant as this one, and I've tried many, many, many products. The fact that it is primarily a physical block is also a plus in my book.

Of course, being Chanel, the price tag is obscene at $52 for 1 oz. I don't recommend skimping on the product, either. Although a very small amount will cover your face due to the thin and easily spreadable texture, you still need 1/4 teaspoon to get adequate sunscreen coverage or you are essentially just wasting product. Because of the cost, I will probably use it exclusively on my face and use one of my much less expensive sunscreens on my neck and chest. However, in my opinion, this one is well worth the cost for the ultimate payoff...a clear, smooth, matte finish that can double as a primer and offers superb, high-level protection. I feel this may very well be my HG sunscreen (finally!) and I plan to repurchase!

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2010 4:10:00 AM More reviews by blackholes

I decided to go in for this product after very high recommendations by one of the Chanel SAs. She told me that one bottle would go a long, long way, and trust me, it has. I was initially apprehensive because when you take a drop of this liquid on your finger, you can feel the oil content in it. But after application, it spreads very smoothly, and does not feel oily at all. I have an oily/combination skin, and this sunscreen has been working out extremely well.This has been my staple sunscreen under my foundation. I purchased this product around 6 months back, and I have still about half the bottle remaining.

Be sure to shake the bottle thoroughly before applying. It would also be advisable to apply mosturiser before applying this product, which then spreads like a dream. 3-4 drops is enough to cover the entire face and neck region. The only drawback would be its exorbitant price[ given the small size of the bottle], but considering how long it lasts, I'd say its worth it. I would definitely be repurchasing again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2009 3:10:00 PM More reviews by greentea420

This is probably the best sunscreen in the entire world for FOr ALL ETERNITY for people with combo/oily skin. It's in a really small bottle so you feel kinda guilty paying $50 dollars for it. But it does last a good while, and oohhh....is it worth it. You shake the bottle, and you only need a little bit like a dime size or less and it just smooths over your skin and it leaves a matte soft feeling. There's absolutely nooo stickiness, no gross oil slick shine. and the best thing of all....it doesn't break you out. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it~ I'm on my second bottle

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2009 3:06:00 PM More reviews by melliecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my HG sunscreen! I am very particular about protecting my skin, and I wear a high SPF even in winter. My constant problem? Every high-level sunscreen before this left my face super-shiny, no matter what I put on top of it. Finally I went to makeupalley.com and discovered this - and decided that I had to try it. Don't get me wrong, it IS expensive - but the gorgeous coverage makes it worth it. I would rather spend $$$ on something that I absolutely love, and which does what I really want it to, rather than use a cheaper product that requires more effort to cover up the super-shinies. I wear Chanel matte lumiere liquid foundation over this, and the combination is absolutely perfect. I have truly discovered my HG combination! I'm curious to see how long it lasts, since it is such a ridiculously small bottle - but I'm on month number two and so far so good.
EDIT: Again, a year later and this is still my HG sunscreen. I've tried numerous other brands and nothing has ever compared to this. The only problem is that it is SO expensive! I am now alternating this with La Roche-Posay ultra light SPF 50 sunscreen, which is half the price, and although it's not as good as my beloved Chanel, it's a fairly close second. For days when I really want to protect my skin but still look matte and gorgeous, I will always reach for my Chanel.