Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Protective Base

3.2

active ingredients: titanium dioxide 6.40% [] zinc oxide 2.00% ingredients: water\aqua\eau [] trioctyldodecyl citrate [] cyclopentasiloxane [] butylene glycol [] c12-15 alkyl benzoate [] steareth-2 [] stearyl dimethicone [] tricaprylyl citrate [] silica [] barium sulfate [] lecithin [] sorbitan tristearate [] aluminum stearate [] sea whip extract [] glyceryl stearate [] tocopheryl acetate [] peg-100 stearate [] sucrose [] pantethine [] caffeine [] octyldodecyl neopentanoate [] ceteth-2 [] peg-40 stearate [] dimethicone [] cetearyl alcohol [] glycosaminoglycans [] peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone [] steareth-20 [] bisabolol [] magnesium ascorbyl phosphate [] polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate [] phytosphingosine [] sodium stearate [] magnesium aluminum silicate [] caprylyl glycol [] isopropyl titanium triisostearate [] stearic acid [] hexylene glycol [] xanthan gum [] citric acid [] disodium edta [] bht [] phenoxyethanol [] iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499) [] chromium hydroxide green (ci 77289)

on 5/29/2009 12:26:00 PM

I started to develop strange red patches on my cheeks and I have a "leftover" from big melasma patch on my forehead that is sometimes almost invilible, sometimes slightly on the reddish side. Plus my face is generally darker than my neck and it irritates me.
I was too tired to put any makeup today as I went shopping with my toddler, but I stopped at the Clinique counter to look at some bronzers and ended up with trying this. It looked scary and caky at the beginning, but as I spread it properly and allowed 1-2 min for it to sink in, i looked in the mirror again and my jaw literally dropped! I just couldn't believe the difference in my skin tone! Even and glowing, ex-melasma patch completely gone, the red on the cheeks toned down to almost non-existent. And best of all, my face looked the same color as my neck!
I spent so much money and time looking for a right foundation to cover and correct all this, but only heavy foundations worked to do the job completely. And I hate heavy foundations. After trying this I decided to give it a time expecting it to fade or change somehow. After an hour I went into The Body Shop and tried a lightest dusting of their mineral powder. Now that amount of powder wouldn't do much for me at all (tried it before), but over Clinique's base it just canceled out any redness that was left on my cheeks. My face looked flawless AND natural for the first time for ages.
I'm going back to Clinique tomorrow, first thing in the morning, to get myself this base. I just don't want to be without it any more, not even for one single day.
If anything changes, I will update.

UPDATE: Well, nothing changed really. I still love it. And the great thing about it is that I need so much less foundation or powder when wearing this, about 1/2 less. And it controls shine on my forehead and nose for several hours.
But there are a few things I'd like to add. This can be somwhat difficult to blend if your skin is not moisturized well or if you have dry skin. I tried to put it without moisturizer underneath and it didn't look good, so I'd recommend this rather for combo or oily skins as it does reduce shine pretty well. You can also try mixing it with your moisturizer.
I was so happy with how this evened out my skin tone and went overboard by applying too much in order to make it even better! (lol) It doesn't work. It will only make you green-white, sick looking. The best amount is a pea-size or little less spread over entire face. But you can add a tiny little more on very red patches like I do on my chin and cheeks. Tap it on and press with your fingers instead of rubbing.
I personally don't rely on this for sun protection when I'm outside a lot because, as I said, I had melasma and need a really high, stable and UVA sunblock.
Overall, very happy to find it and will definitely buy again.
EDIT 26/02/10
I'm still using this every now and then. It still works well if I have some redness or irritation which doesn't happen often any more. It blends with my skin beautifly and doesn't look green at all. I guess it just works for my skin tone (or the tone of my redness). But I can see that, for some people, it can look just plain green or white, totally off. It's hit or miss try (like with many skin care or makeup products). If you can, try a sample first.

on 5/20/2009 5:14:00 PM

Bleh. :P
I didn't like this at all. The green tint did nothing to conceal my redness and made me look ghastly. It also flaked up and settled in weird places so it made a terrible base.
Can't think of anything I liked about it. Returned.

on 4/28/2009 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

YESSSSSS!! I have major redness around the cheek area, and the base totally reduced the visibility of my redness. I know that there are other mint colored makeup bases out there, but nothing worked out this great on my skin. the texture is light, and is very natural on my light medium skin tone, too. I am not sure if it helped me to get rid of my redness or not, but I will definitely repurchase just for the makeup base funtion of this item. I'm in LOVE!!!

I love this stuff! I noticed major improvements in reduction of the redness I had.

on 4/11/2009 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

For some reason I cannot get the tint in this product to work with my skin. I apply it, and even if I do rub it in really well (which you shouldn't with a mineral sunscreen) my face still has a slight green tinge to it which looks absolutely awful.

Aside from the bad tint, within 30 minutes of applying this my face itches badly.

on 3/18/2009 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

UPDATE 5/26/09: I can't use the recommended 1/4 tsp of this without looking green (it doesn't blend) and it started irritating my skin, so I'm dropping it down to a 2. I think my skin doesn't like silicones, and this contains a lot of silicones. I'm currently using Real Purity zinc oxide SS and will review after I have used it for a bit longer.

Although I don't like rest of the redness solutions line, I am liking this physical sunscreen so far. One thing I am concerned about is I don't know if applying it sparingly (which I tend to do to avoid caked up green tint on my face) gives the full SPF15 protection. The green tint does a great job of cancelling out redness and blotchiness and makes my face just a bit pale, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing. It's probably the color my skin would be without rosacea/irritation and is how it looked when I was younger with less sun damage. It makes me appear a little shiny but powder alleviates that easily. I haven't used this in summer yet to see if it does protect from the sun (the freckles don't lie!). But it doesn't irritate my skin and and works well under makeup, so 4 stars for now.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been using this for a week & I am underwhelmed with the redness control and the coverage but it makes a pretty good primer. However, at this price, I think there are better products out there so HG still being sought. I was mad to think I could find good redness control, sunscreen, and primer in one product.

PROs--reduced oilyness, did not clog pores or make me redder, served as a good primer for my MMU foundation, and did not ball up when put over my moisturizer. It wasn't that expensive but it did not have much product in the tube either. Nice packaging and easy to apply. Has SPF which is a plus and probably will help in reducing redness for some.

CONs--Did little to reduce my redness or even minimize the appearance of redness. NO coverage, looked like pale white liquid on my skin and considering how fair I am, that means it was really pale in color. Since that is what I was purchasing it to do, (cover redness and reduce redness) FAIL.

If you want a product that makes a decent primer that reduces oiliness, keeps your MMU on and provides decent sunscreen as well as NOT making your sensitive skin worse--this is a pretty good product with a price in the mid-range.
IF you paid the price for this small tube in the hopes of miraculous red reduction and/or redness correction/coverage; this was a big fail.

EDIT-- I continued trying products like this and came back around to liking this. Given that most products out there slide off my tzone and most sunscreens make me flare, this is actually a rare find. It isn't cheap, but if you can find some at less than regular price, I'd recommend giving it a try. I am certain I will use mine and if I can find some more at a discount, I'd likely stock up again.

on 1/4/2009 11:39:00 AM

This is my new favourite product- not only does it help with the little bit of redness I have from my spots, but it also keeps my makeup on my oily skin all day. I haven't broken out using it which is unusual as I have broken out with both the estee lauder and mac primers!Its really hygienic as it is in a tube and not a pot! I love it and will definitely be using it again!

on 12/30/2008 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I wish I had found this product years ago. I have really fair skin, but persistent redness in my nose, cheeks, chin and have always had to buy yellow foundations to compensate for it. With this product, the redness is alleviated! This stuff works great on it's own, or over my moisturizer (DDMG) without messing up the appearance of my foundation/TM (I use Clinique's Almost Makeup ). This does not ball up like the City Block SPF25 does, so it's an excellent option for those seeking a chemical free SPF. Absorbs easily, and does not leave behind an oily residue (and I have a very oily t-zone). Enough green to even out redness, without making you...well...green! Also very important, this has a non-chemical SPF, making it a sunscreen and primer in one easy step. I might try other products in the Redness Solutions line now, because I love this stuff so much!

on 12/28/2008 7:29:00 PM

This did not work well for me. I have hyperpigmentation in my cheeks and it did not reduce the redness. I am better off with a green tinted concealer.
If you don't have horrible redness this would probably work well.
It also seemed to make my skin look paler.
It isn't that great of a makeup primer for me.