Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Protective Base

3.2

active ingredients: titanium dioxide 6.40% [] zinc oxide 2.00% ingredients: water\aqua\eau [] trioctyldodecyl citrate [] cyclopentasiloxane [] butylene glycol [] c12-15 alkyl benzoate [] steareth-2 [] stearyl dimethicone [] tricaprylyl citrate [] silica [] barium sulfate [] lecithin [] sorbitan tristearate [] aluminum stearate [] sea whip extract [] glyceryl stearate [] tocopheryl acetate [] peg-100 stearate [] sucrose [] pantethine [] caffeine [] octyldodecyl neopentanoate [] ceteth-2 [] peg-40 stearate [] dimethicone [] cetearyl alcohol [] glycosaminoglycans [] peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone [] steareth-20 [] bisabolol [] magnesium ascorbyl phosphate [] polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate [] phytosphingosine [] sodium stearate [] magnesium aluminum silicate [] caprylyl glycol [] isopropyl titanium triisostearate [] stearic acid [] hexylene glycol [] xanthan gum [] citric acid [] disodium edta [] bht [] phenoxyethanol [] iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499) [] chromium hydroxide green (ci 77289)

I love this stuff! I noticed major improvements in reduction of the redness I had.

on 4/11/2009 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

For some reason I cannot get the tint in this product to work with my skin. I apply it, and even if I do rub it in really well (which you shouldn't with a mineral sunscreen) my face still has a slight green tinge to it which looks absolutely awful.

Aside from the bad tint, within 30 minutes of applying this my face itches badly.

on 3/18/2009 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

UPDATE 5/26/09: I can't use the recommended 1/4 tsp of this without looking green (it doesn't blend) and it started irritating my skin, so I'm dropping it down to a 2. I think my skin doesn't like silicones, and this contains a lot of silicones. I'm currently using Real Purity zinc oxide SS and will review after I have used it for a bit longer.

Although I don't like rest of the redness solutions line, I am liking this physical sunscreen so far. One thing I am concerned about is I don't know if applying it sparingly (which I tend to do to avoid caked up green tint on my face) gives the full SPF15 protection. The green tint does a great job of cancelling out redness and blotchiness and makes my face just a bit pale, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing. It's probably the color my skin would be without rosacea/irritation and is how it looked when I was younger with less sun damage. It makes me appear a little shiny but powder alleviates that easily. I haven't used this in summer yet to see if it does protect from the sun (the freckles don't lie!). But it doesn't irritate my skin and and works well under makeup, so 4 stars for now.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been using this for a week & I am underwhelmed with the redness control and the coverage but it makes a pretty good primer. However, at this price, I think there are better products out there so HG still being sought. I was mad to think I could find good redness control, sunscreen, and primer in one product.

PROs--reduced oilyness, did not clog pores or make me redder, served as a good primer for my MMU foundation, and did not ball up when put over my moisturizer. It wasn't that expensive but it did not have much product in the tube either. Nice packaging and easy to apply. Has SPF which is a plus and probably will help in reducing redness for some.

CONs--Did little to reduce my redness or even minimize the appearance of redness. NO coverage, looked like pale white liquid on my skin and considering how fair I am, that means it was really pale in color. Since that is what I was purchasing it to do, (cover redness and reduce redness) FAIL.

If you want a product that makes a decent primer that reduces oiliness, keeps your MMU on and provides decent sunscreen as well as NOT making your sensitive skin worse--this is a pretty good product with a price in the mid-range.
IF you paid the price for this small tube in the hopes of miraculous red reduction and/or redness correction/coverage; this was a big fail.

EDIT-- I continued trying products like this and came back around to liking this. Given that most products out there slide off my tzone and most sunscreens make me flare, this is actually a rare find. It isn't cheap, but if you can find some at less than regular price, I'd recommend giving it a try. I am certain I will use mine and if I can find some more at a discount, I'd likely stock up again.

on 1/4/2009 11:39:00 AM

This is my new favourite product- not only does it help with the little bit of redness I have from my spots, but it also keeps my makeup on my oily skin all day. I haven't broken out using it which is unusual as I have broken out with both the estee lauder and mac primers!Its really hygienic as it is in a tube and not a pot! I love it and will definitely be using it again!

on 12/30/2008 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I wish I had found this product years ago. I have really fair skin, but persistent redness in my nose, cheeks, chin and have always had to buy yellow foundations to compensate for it. With this product, the redness is alleviated! This stuff works great on it's own, or over my moisturizer (DDMG) without messing up the appearance of my foundation/TM (I use Clinique's Almost Makeup ). This does not ball up like the City Block SPF25 does, so it's an excellent option for those seeking a chemical free SPF. Absorbs easily, and does not leave behind an oily residue (and I have a very oily t-zone). Enough green to even out redness, without making you...well...green! Also very important, this has a non-chemical SPF, making it a sunscreen and primer in one easy step. I might try other products in the Redness Solutions line now, because I love this stuff so much!

on 12/28/2008 7:29:00 PM

This did not work well for me. I have hyperpigmentation in my cheeks and it did not reduce the redness. I am better off with a green tinted concealer.
If you don't have horrible redness this would probably work well.
It also seemed to make my skin look paler.
It isn't that great of a makeup primer for me.

on 7/12/2008 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to love this for so may reasons. I am super pale and my skin can get really red so this was very attractive to me. I am always on the lookout for a new primer that can help control the oil and not break me out. This goes on like a moisturizer than gets super greasy in less than an hour or two. It made me very oily (oiler than usual in fact). It did nothing for the redness. I also didn't like the way it felt on my freshly scrubbed face. When you are oily like me and your skin is nice and clean, you want a fresh matte feeling before putting on make up because you know that the oil will come eventually. Well this looked and felt oily even before I put my foundation on (bad sign).

I was super oily in only a couple of hours and it just felt greasy. I think this might be a nice product for someone with dryer skin. If you are oily, good luck! I don't need a product that only adds to my oil problem and this totally did. I even used a powder over it one day when I was home not wearing any makeup (thinking maybe then it wouldn't get so oily), but my face looked cakey and oily within a couple of hours (and most powders will not do that over other primers I've tried THIS fast). I love that it's in a tube and made by Clinique because their stuff always smells so clinical and fresh, but this product did nothing for me. I can't imagine this working for any oily skins out there, but if it does more power to you. This was a disappointment for me (and whatever you do, if you are oily at all, don't use moisturizer AND this product together or you will be blotting every few minutes)!

on 6/21/2008 10:16:00 AM

I got a sample of this and liked it enough to buy it. I don't have severe redness with my rosacea, so I think my expectations were not reasonable for what it would do for me. I do have to give it about 5 minutes to sink in well before using foundation. I seem to use less foundation and my skin looks fresher and brighter. I have even gotten compliments on my skin when I wear this.

I would recommend it if you don't have severe redness. It isn't a concealer. But it feels good on my skin, seems to help my makeup look better and last longer. I also like the sunscreen, even if it is a little low, it's more than I was using before. So many suncreens just burn.

on 6/12/2008 1:02:00 PM

I have mild rosacea and thread veins around my nose plus a blotchy chin area. While this green base did not sink into my pores, there was no redness reduction. It did not do anything at all for me.