L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the worst hair colour I've ever tried. After I finished the application on the roots, I went for the middle-ends and it started to stink REALLY bad. I couldn't breathe! My eyes were watering and my scalp was itchy. I opened the window but it didn't help, I had to go straight into the shower and rinse it off.
I've tried other products by L'Oreal (Healthy Look Creme Gloss) and were fine, but this time, they didn't had my shade at the store, so I had to get this Superior Preference... I would never ever buy it again!

I just tried the new 6AB to boost my already light reddish brown hair to be a bit brighter, and it is now almost black. My hair is beautifully shiney, but that is the only upside that I can really think of. If you can find a colour that looks good on you, go for it with this dye. It's easy to use and makes your hair silky, but if you're not someone who can afford to go dark, don't try anything outside of their blonde line. Sad face!

I used RR04, Intense Dark Red. Well, this was the worst dye I've ever used. First of all, it SMELLS awful. Lung-clogging, eye-watering awful. I had to walk around while trying to apply this stuff. I followed the instructions and wasn't impressed with the color--much, much darker than I anticipated, not very pretty or vibrant. Furthermore, my hair felt really weak after using this. Granted, I know that probably had something to do with my only waiting a month in between colorings, but I was definitely worried at how easily my hair was breaking. It's been a month now and with some keratin conditioner, it's feeling a bit better, but I WILL NOT REPURCHASE ever.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this product! Was using Age Beautiful but the color just wasn't as vibrant or lasting like this is.

Bought #1, Blue Black and wow this is jet black all the way. I haven't really seen any of the blue hues I have heard this has, but I guess I will have someone check out my hair in the sunlight.

I've been dying my hair black for about 9 years and not sure why I never tried this. The color is just amazing. Shiny and brilliant. I use Zoto's Diamond Shine products (shampoo/conditioner) and my hair super fab not drab!

This review is not for the drugstore box kit. It is based on the Beauty Supply (Sally's) bottle of color. I used my leftover 9 volume Age Beautiful developer and it came out without any problems.

The color looks like I had it done at the salon. A bit runny, so next time I plan on using my bowl and brush. It covered the gray that was starting to come in without fail. It happens to be on sale right now at Sally's and is on special every couple of months. Buy 2 get 1 free (developer separate).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this product in the shade Light Ash Blonde 9A. I used it to FIX a professional color job that turned out brassy and a different shade on my roots than the rest of my hair. Though this did not take all the brass out it lightened my hair to the color I wanted (a medium blonde) from my brassy light brown hair with blonde highlighted roots..ew! I first did a test strand and it turned out ok so I threw it on. It's very runny and smells worse than any hair color I've ever used, but I know it's hair color so it's not going to smell like roses. Anyway, it was a lifesaver and turned my orange brassy ugly hair to one shade of medium blonde. I am using shimmering lights to take out any leftover brass or any that may develop. The best advice I can give is not to look at the picture on the front of the box but the ones on the side. Also think about your hair color and the color wheel to see what the outcome may be.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I use this in the shade hollywood 9 which to me is an the ideal blonde not too light that you look grey and not too dark that you look like its light brown,its also a very natural shade without that yellow tone which also gives your hair a lovely shine and the conditioner makes your hair very soft ,it also seems to be gentle on hair and wont cause damage if used the right way,i would recommend this colour to anyone who wants a colour that is shiny and doesnt damage your hair and is my favourite out of all the haircolours.

Used 6BB Light Beige Brown (cooler). I had to give it a 3. It didn't pull super dark on me, it DID come out light brown, and that alone is worth a star or two - most dyes pull dark. I was covering up a lot of warmth and it definited toned it way down, but the cool tones in this dye weren't as strong as I'd hoped for. Then again, I suspect their Light ASH Brown may have done a better job but the store I got it from was out of it.

What I didn't like about this dye is how damaging/drying it felt. I've never had split ends before, just dry hair and frayed ends, but had them after this dye. Because it felt so dry, I slept with deep conditioner on afterward. When I woke up the next morning, it was like I'd never put the deep conditioner on. I expected my hair to feel greasy and full of product since I piled it on, instead my hair felt just as dry. It totally sucked all that moisture in and still wasn't enough. My ends feel like hay. It's really awful, so I definitely won't repurchase. It's a shame because the variety of shades Preference has is quite impressive, and the reason I didn't go with Colorsilk or Natural Instincts, two dyes I liked in the past.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I am really disappointed in this product.It looks awesome for a short time, the orange brassiness. The color fades into brassiness after like 3-7 days. I used Medium Ash Brown and it's happened 3-4 times, so never again. I also tried the Dark Brown which just turned my hair black and then washed out in 3-4 weeks.
The fade and brassiness are ridiculous considering I only shampoo my hair once a week tops.
The packaging is pretty good, it's no more smells than other similarly priced brands and the conditioner it comes with is nice,

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've been using Preference for 3 years now. My natural color is some medium between dark blonde and light brown. I started with blonde and now I'm auburn. The blonde I used for 2 years was Medium Golden Blonde; this one didn't damage my hair that badly despite lightening it, didn't have any problem with roots or anything, and it didn't fade at all.

Then the past summer I used Medium Copper Brown. This turned my hair a nice warm brown with gold-red tones, especially in the sun. Since I dyed over dyed-blonde hair, it faded to a ginger-y color, but when I re-dyed it the next couple of times it stuck.

Then I felt like going a bit redder and darker, so I used Dark Auburn. This is my favorite out of all of them, though my roots are a lighter red than the rest since those were light brown/dark blonde and the rest had already been dyed brown. In normal light, it's a warm reddish brown, and in the sun or in other light it has a beautiful red tone to it. The combination of red and dark looks amazing with my light green eyes.

I'm definitely never leaving this product!

I've been on a red head kick this last year and have tried both RPO6 Intense Red and RPO7 Intense Red Copper from this line. I truly like the intense colour results and decent longevity of wear as red does fade fast. I also like that this product is readily available, often goes on sale and I can find coupons to save additional money. What I don't appreciate about this kit is the ridiculous cheap gloves included and the formula is pretty running. I overcome both obstacles by purchasing my own gloves and I use extra caution when applying the drippy formula then cover my saturated hair with a plastic bag to contain the drips/mess. I personally do like the colour achieved as intense reds I find hard to come by at a drugstore. I do plan on trying a few more options, but I would also repurchase either of these shades again. Just a side note too, I find the Intense Red (RPO6) appears quite dark and almost burgundy for the first week, but does gradually fade into a more reddish toned colour.

Video Reviews & Tutorials