MAC Matte2 - Typographic

4.8

on 4/29/2009 5:06:00 PM

Great crease color or outer v. I use this with almost any eyeshadow colors, it is very versatile. I use it with Milani sun goddess as a lid color and typographic in the crease. It goes great with mac ricepaper too.

on 4/10/2009 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

MAC Typographic was part of the Matte 2 collection. It's a very dark charcoal that borders on being black. I typically *hate* matte eyeshadows ... but this one gets nothing but love from me! I can't say that it's particularly unique in terms of color .. I mean .. a charcoal eyeshadow isn't exactly hard to find in the cosmetic world .. I think what I adore about this aside from the super sultry color this morphs into on my eye .. is that it is SO pigmented, and blends beautifully! It's so easy to work with Typographic. I have an absolute ton of eyeshadows, this baby is one of the few however that actually has a noticeable dip in it! Another winner from MAC!!

on 3/27/2009 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I love this color! I usually use it as an eyeliner or when I do dark smokey eyes.

on 3/26/2009 7:06:00 PM

Greatest crease color ever! Not quite as dramatic as Carbon, but has the same effect - I actually like it better. It's great for a smokey eye, adding depth to a crease, darkening a color, or an eyeliner etc. I even bought a backup!

on 3/25/2009 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I have decided that Matte2 shadows are officially the bomb. Typographic is basically an almost black, or off black. If you want to do a smokey eye without the harshness of a true black, then this one is for you. The color payoff is exceptional, the texture is to die for, and its a must for a soft smokey eye. I wore this with sushi flower, gorgeous.

on 3/18/2009 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love this color! It is so rich. Works great as a liner because it is so rich, but also blends wonderfully in the crease.

on 2/17/2009 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is very highly rated. I wanted a semi charcoal shade with a matte finish that is soft and can be smoked easily. I think that's exactly what I got. This can be worked in layers, very soft focus layers to build coverage. Amazing matte shadow, and matte is so in season. I'd like to try more matte 2 shades. This is like silk, and incredible pigment. It just glides on.

This is a must for smoky eyes, it blends well and is very close to black. I do find that it tends to crease though. If you have very dark hair like me, you can also use as an eye brow filler.

This blends very well and is comparable to carbon if you aren't looking for a true black. Works for me.

on 12/19/2008 11:04:00 AM

Like many other reviewers, I primarily use Typographic to do a smokey eye. But before I discovered Typographic, I've had to settle with Howzat (the greyish-black colour, satin, in one of the quads from MAC's Fafi collection). The colour pay-off wasn't up to my expectations and so I decided to get a new black shadow. Having scoured through the many reviews on MUA, I discovered something- at this very moment, Typographic is the only black eye shadow from MAC that has been reviewed by a fair number of reviewers (16) and still boasts of a 100% repurchase rate.
Ratings aside, Typographic is described by MAC to be asphalt black which in any case means pretty damn black. It's not as dark as Carbon, meaning that it is much more user-friendly because you can gradually build up to the desired intensity. In fact, the colour pay-off is just right for me- lightly dabbing at the eyeshadow with a MAC 239 gathers enough colour to deliver an admirable intensity without much need of building up. Also, being a Matte2, the texture is undoubtedly much smoother and finer than a regular matte (Carbon) therefore making it much easier to blend out. Typographic lacks glitter and shimmer, which in my opinion, provides a good anchor for a smokey eye- I just don't think that it's particularly qualifies as smokey if everything is shimmery.
I've never liked matte shadows because I've always thought that they were drying (that's what I generally think of matte products), dull and difficult to work with. Yet, Typographic is an exception. I wouldn't know if this holds true for the rest of the Matte2 collection. I do, however, know that Typographic is versatile in that it could serve as an eyeliner (but so can every other eyeshadow), it could be used to intensify or smoke up lighter eyeshadows, the application is efficient due to the richness in colour and it gives you a bold yet not overly-harsh look, which is too easy to achieve with something as true to absolute black as Carbon is. I would definitely repurchase Typographic and I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to perfect their smokey eye. I just wouldn't recommend it to anybody in my life though. Typographic is my dirty little secret and I'm not so keen on being outdone in the smokey eye department. ;-)