December 21, 2014 | 947 users online

Powder - Sephora - Matifying Powder Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2010 3:53:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really liked this foundation; I used it for 3 +years. I am fair skinned and wore D20, which matched my skin perfectly. This foundation has a wide selection of shades and tones; it would be hard for someone to not find a match. It blended seamlessly and left my skin looking almost flawless. It is a natural-looking medium coverage and never left skin looking chalky or dry. Lasts very well, only need to touch-up once usually throughout the work day. Doesn't get cakey with touch-ups. Word of warning though: May not be good for sensitive or break-out prone skin due to talc and other irritating ingredients.

Other drawbacks: You have to get a new compact every month if you use it everyday and at $20 a pop, it gets a little pricey. Since it is Sephora brand, you have to go to (or order from) Sephora to get it, which is a bit annoying.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 1:46:00 PM More reviews by sumansaran

Since I rarely use face makeup, I may not be the best expert on this particular product. That said, I have tried a few to nail down an everyday basic for myself, and this is the only one I'm happy with. Reason #1 - the color match. In my opinion, Sephora does a great job with shades that match those in-between skin tones, particular various shades of tan. Even more high-end brands haven't achieved this. I have D32 for winter when my skin is paler, and it is perfect for my medium-tan (and rather yellow) Indian complexion. I plan to get D34 or D35 for the summer when I'm darker. Reason #2 - it does what a pressed powder/foundation should do. Some decent light to medium coverage, and not all drying even on my winter skin. Reason #3 - Blends easily and I can barely feel it. Very smooth, fine-milled formula that doesn't highlight any blemishes or imperfections by caking over them. Supposedly, this works dry or wet, but I prefer dry for now. Very simple but worth the minimal effort. In terms of price, a great compromise between over-priced high-end products, and also over-priced drugstore products (think of the similar new product from Neutrogena which retails for about $15). I would stock up since earlier this fall, they were sold out of D35 for MONTHS (not just at stores, but from the manufacturer itself).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2010 10:50:00 PM More reviews by peoplerpeople

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

D33 is my shade (NC42). I don't like this alone as a foundation because it looks cakey. I *do* like this product applied very lightly as a powder finish over my BBrown Skin Foundation. Not only do I like the finish, but the subtle variation between the two shades (D33 and BB Honey) adds dimension to my face and keeps my face from looking, I don't know, flat. I miss a mirror and old-school puff applicator, but I'll buy this potentially versatile product again (good color matches are hard to find - I can't turn my back on this).
UPDATE: Finally figured out that this compact does, in fact, come equipped with a sponge and mirror. A tip from another reviewer sent me to the compact with an unfolded paper clip. Seventeen seconds later, I found them. The lateness of the discovery doesn't say much for the product design, but whatever.
UPDATE: Having tried other brands and products since writing this review, I declare this the winner. I wear this as a setting powder over what is essentially a tinted moisturizer with SPF. The color is absolutely perfect and the coverage is sorta buildable. My worry now is whether I can trust Sephora to keep the supply coming. Should I stockpile?
(FINAL UPDATE: Abandoned BBrown foundation as overkill; now using this Sephora dbl mattifying powder over a little Almay Smart Shade Smart Balance (applied over moisturizer/spf) with great results.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2010 1:19:00 AM More reviews by auricblaze4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

A lady at my local Sephora matched me up to a D50. I was very pleased with how close this powder foundation was to my skintone as I have trouble matching colors and have thus wasted money on products. In fact, the match is so close, most people can't even tell I am wearing makeup! This is used just about daily by me because it is very easy and quick to apply and blend into the skin. There are a wide variety of shades, so I don't think anyone would have problems finding a match--just ask someone who works there! For the quality, this product is relatively cheap ($20) and is definitely worth buying again.

The only problem is that with my combination skin the powder is not completely mattifying. I have an oily T-zone, and sometimes I need to blot my face in order to maintain a matte look. The lasting power is relatively decent--it should last you an 8 hour day.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2010 5:33:00 PM More reviews by priscillawong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have this product in D25 (warm natural), and it works really well for me. Not so bad for $20 USD. Very light coverage and gives my face a flawless finish. My only complaint is that the mirror is beneath the foundation, so you have to flip back and forth from foundation to mirror. Also, I liked their old packaging for this product. I haven't found any other powder foundation that works better than this one (yet). I will definitely repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/19/2009 1:19:00 AM More reviews by peachiieeness

I bought this product along with the sephora hydrating and smoothing foundation to set my foundation. It does make your face matte, but it's feels really heavy and it can look cakey if you apply too much. After many tries with this product, I found out my skin does not react well to these products. I would recommend this for those who has oily skin but not sensitive skin because it might break you out.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2009 2:40:00 PM More reviews by sbrie011

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I really like this product, I used this a lot throughout school, and at times this would be all i would wear. It's nice, good coverage without feeling too heavy and the price isn't too shabby for how long it last!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2009 5:22:00 PM More reviews by keia1113

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this foundation. It is really hard for me to find a matching foundation because my skintone is really yellow.The closest I could find before was Mac NC42 which is a bit dark and turns very orange & greasy on me.

I use the color D33(if make had a color between NC 40 & nc42 this would be it) and it matches perfectly and doesnt oxidize and change colors. I also have very oily skin and this does a wonderful job of absorbing the oil/shine, however if you have any dry or flaky spots this will emphasize them.

It doesnt cause breakouts, the color matches, and I get a decent coverage so this is a keeper. I wish it would last longer so I wouldnt have to reapply thoroughout the day. Another problem is the damn packaging. The compact is cheap and if your not gentle the mirror will break off. I now just depot the powder into a mac studio fix compact.

Besides that I really like this foundation better than anyother brand and ive tried alot ( Loreal, revlon, covergirl, Iman, Mac, bare minerals, Stila, Estee Lauder)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2009 3:26:00 AM More reviews by olelala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I cannot comment on this product as a foundation, because I bought it and use it only as a contour powder. I am NC40, and have been searching for a contour all my life! I tried NARS Laguna, and while it was pretty, something in those darn formulations breaks me out. So for a while my round face was without a contour, until I saw this! After some careful swatching on my hand, I bought D40 which is 2 shades darker than my skin tone. The powder feels silky smooth going on, is super finely milled and is truly mattifying. One dab with my angled blush brush and a quick swipe on the sides of my nose and under my cheekbones, and I am miraculously more defined!! Subtle perfection! Very easy to travel with too, and it doesn't come with a sponge which is a bonus for me because I never use sponges in compacts and it just becomes a waste of space.

All in all, I LOVE this powder, I have nothing negative to say about it at all. I am normally not even close to a fan of Sephora mu products, because I find them extremely lacking in quality, but this one is comparable to the h/e powders. I can even imagine that it being in your skin shade, it would be an excellent powder foundation, giving buildable, smooth coverage. Especially because you can pick and choose your perfect shade since after all it is a foundation. Just as a tip, D means warm tones and R means cool tones. Had to figure it out for a moment at the store. ;)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2009 2:36:00 PM More reviews by makeupchic70

No frills. Great product.