December 20, 2014 | 1153 users online

Lotions/ Creams - The Body Shop - Olive Body Butter

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2007 6:20:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

The Body Shop Body Butters are lovely thick creams for drier skin, luscious texture, and a very good deal compared to market peers. I've used the Body Butters in Brazil Nut, Cocoa, Coconut, Olive, and Shea. All are excellent; they are slightly scented, but not enough to produce allergic reactions. Other versions are available, but are more heavily scented or include some ingredients my skin isn't overly happy with, so I've not used them. The Butters also work well as winter hand- and foot-creams. How to choose amongst them?

The Olive version is intended for normal to dry skin. I found it as moisturizing as the Brazil Nut and Shea versions (though the latter is meant for very dry skin), and reckon that this is the Butter that's lightest, slips onto skin the easiest and absorbs the fastest. So more use through the year, and good to keep to hand for slapping on first thing in the morning. Obviously, there's a lot of natural variation in which ingredients any particular skin responds to best. The Olive and Shea are also the two butters that are the lightest scented, to my nose. Good stuff.

Now, there are many olive-oil based body creams out there, and many are excellent; this comes in at the cheaper end of the spectrum. Not as cheap as basic olive oil - see the many ecstatic reviews elsewhere on MUA - and no replacement for the basic oil, in terms of versatility of use (alone, combined with various bases, range of formulae you can make at home, consequent applications, etc., etc.)

Contains mainly olive oil, shea and cocoa butters, and cyclomethicone (the "less heavy" silicone).

INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water) (Solvent/Diluent), Olea europaea (Olive Oil) (Emollient), Cyclomethicone (Emollient), Butyrospermum parkii (Shea Butter) (Emollient), Theobroma cacao (Cocoa Butter) (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Lanolin Alcohol (Stabiliser/Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Parfum (Fragrance), Methylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Hexyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde (Fragrance Ingredient), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Eugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Caramel (Colour), CI 77288 (Colour). continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2007 1:21:00 PM More reviews by technopixie

This is a fantastic alternative to the foody smelling body butters, like other reviewers have said it's a fresh, green scent that won't interfere with your perfume. I like the body butters for normal-dry skin the best, the others can feel too heavy on my skin, and Olive is no exception- it absorbs really nicely without feeling like it's leaving a residue. Avocado body butter, only available once in a while, is my absolute favorite because it smells so incredible but this is a comparable substitute. Overall I really love The Body Shop's body butters, they're the only body moisturizers that I've found that really seem to agree with my sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2007 6:36:00 AM More reviews by babiig1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this body butter! The price is reasonable and it smells divine. It's also incredibly moisturising. The best time to apply the butter is just after you hop out of the shower/bath and it will make your skin supple and super smooth.

The product will last you quite a while, possibly six months to a year if you use it on a daily basis due to the butter's thick consistency which in turn, only requires you to slather a small amount on. Although, I must admit that the product initially feels a tad greasy upon application, however, it sinks in and the greasy feeling vanishes very quickly. The Body Shop's body butter is probably most suitable during Autumn and Winter but that's not to say it can't be used in the warmer times of the year; it really depends on what type of skin you have: dry, normal, oily (I've never heard of anyone with oily body skin though). It's effective for people with all skin types.

Another plus is that The Body Shop body butters aren't just limited to Olive, they have a large range of body butters, each varying in smell and key ingredients - e.g. Coconut Body Butter, Mango Body Butter, Strawberry Body Butter, Olive Body Butter and many more.

The only con I'd like to mention pertains to the packaging. The Body Shop body butters come in wide circular tubs which I am not fond of because using your fingers to scoop cream out can lead to bacterial growth.

Nevertheless, it's a great product and it's well worth the money. Don't hold back =)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2007 1:14:00 AM More reviews by chechi

I was searching for a good moisturizer - this did not do the job & it was expensive. However, it smells really good on me (i'm really wary of scented products 'cause they usually stink on me) - because of wonderful scent I would buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2007 6:15:00 AM More reviews by CurlsExperiment

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great moisturizer. It is marketed as a butter for normal/dry skin but it is really quite moisturizing. If your skin is truly normal and/or you live in a hot or humid climate, I think this will be too heavy for you.

I own several of the body butters and I love the Olive one for its fantastic fresh, green, clean scent. It is very smooth and buttery in texture. It is on the creamy side compared to, for instance, the shea or coconut butters which are almost solid. The ingredients are very good, including olive oil, shea butter and cocoa butter.

In brief, this is a fantastic product that I've enjoyed for a couple of years already and that I keep repurchasing when I am out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2007 1:02:00 PM More reviews by Ammit

I really love Olive Butter, it's much nicer than the others. It's very buttery and light to apply and it smells soooo nice! I love it.
Some of the other body butters that they do are way too overpowering and heavy and greasy.
This stuff leaves my skin so soft. I will always be looking for THE body lotion but this one is pretty darned nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2007 11:27:00 PM More reviews by cloudlight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Fantastic!! I haven't used TBS products in a while...but recently, while searching for a new moisturizer, I revisited the famous Body Butter collection. After reading reviews, I decided to go with the Olive - seemed right for my normal/dehydrated skin.

It felt great!! Light and (literally) buttery, this light green balm just melted into my skin. A little goes a long way, but it really feels like it's nourishing the skin - you can almost feel it sinking in. You do need to massage/rub it in a little, but it's worth the slight wait...my skin felt very supple afterwards. I don't know how it happens, but my skin actually looks better?! The smell is also quite pretty - clean, slightly herbal, and fresh. Not overpowering and fortunately not like olives! : ) I really really like this...HG material. I hope TBS never discontinues it.

P.S. I bought the large 200mL size. I use a small spatula to spoon it into a smaller jar, so that I so I'm not dipping my fingers into the large tub every time. Hopefully this will prolong its freshness! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2007 2:44:00 PM More reviews by mitali79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just picked this up today and, let em just say, wow! Love this product. Perfect for after-shower moisturizing - and not as greasy as some of the body shop's other body butters. Love the scent, too. I will definitely re-purchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2007 8:24:00 PM More reviews by dreamingangel

Update 12/09/2007: Surprisingly, I did finish using this up - mainly as a hand moisturizer, where the smell doesn't get to me too much and it keeps my dried up wrinkly hands well moisturized and even a little glowy. Towards the end I found myself getting used to the scent, but then this still turns weird on me, so definitely no repurchase.
UPDATE: Unfortunately this turns overwhelmingly funky and musty on me for some reason - probably my skin reacts negatively to the fragrance. downgrading to 2 lippies as i can't see myself finishing this now due to the terrible smell. My hubby also says it smells like BO on me, which is a problem I've never had! *** 4 lippies for its moisturizing power, 1 lippie off cos i hate the smell.
*** I picked up two of the olive body butters at a recent TBS sale, and its the first time I'm trying out body products from The Body Shop - strangely enough my first acquaintance was with their face care and makeup products, as I always thought that their body stuff was way overpriced. *** Product Review: The body butter is a pale green colour, and looks like a tub of half-melted margarine. I'm pleasantly surprised that it takes so very little of the product to moisturize a big area, as I normally require 8-10 pumps of body lotion for my whole body. To me, this is an excellent heavy moisturizer - the butter has really changed the appearance and texture of my super-dry feet, legs and arms in less than a week. However I dislike the fact that it takes some time to absorb - at least half an hour or so, and that even after absorption, it remains a little sticky. My husband generally avoids me when I have the butter on - and he can see it from the sheen it leaves on skin. And I don't really get all the raves for its smell - this smells like some kind of cheap room or car freshener to me, and the smell stays on for hours. Definitely a turn-off, and though i'll finish using up both tubs, I doubt I'll be buying this again. If I do buy another body butter from TBS, I'll probably choose another flavour.
*** Final verdict: The olive butter is really great for dry skin in cool weather - although it states that this is for normal to dry skin, i really think that normal skin gals will find this far too greasy, especially if you're stuck in a hot and humid a climate, like where I am right now. (The butter actually turns rancid on the skin if it gets too hot!)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2007 12:41:00 AM More reviews by ellie179

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great stuff. Moisturizes really well without feeling heavy or sticky, even in humid conditions (I'm from Malaysia). Light texture and absorbs really quick too. The olive scent is not a favorite with me (I prefer cocoa butter) but overall I consider it a good purchase. RM55 for 200ml.