The Body Shop Olive Body Butter

4.3

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 12/4/2007 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I like this a lot but it can be greasy at times. I live in a humid climate so I don't get to use this as much as I want. I love the Olive scent, it's quite diff. from the other fruity scented creams body shop sells. Packaging is nice too. I will repurchase.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I absolutely LOVE this stuff! I've searched high and low for a body butter that smells good, isnt greasy and makes your skin soft and this is it. The only gripe I have is that it takes longer than I would like for it to soak in the skin. Other than that I would def. purchase again. For $17 it lasts me at least a month which I think is pretty good.

on 11/22/2007 6:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

The Body Shop Body Butters are lovely thick creams for drier skin, luscious texture, and a very good deal compared to market peers. I've used the Body Butters in Brazil Nut, Cocoa, Coconut, Olive, and Shea. All are excellent; they are slightly scented, but not enough to produce allergic reactions. Other versions are available, but are more heavily scented or include some ingredients my skin isn't overly happy with, so I've not used them. The Butters also work well as winter hand- and foot-creams. How to choose amongst them?

The Olive version is intended for normal to dry skin. I found it as moisturizing as the Brazil Nut and Shea versions (though the latter is meant for very dry skin), and reckon that this is the Butter that's lightest, slips onto skin the easiest and absorbs the fastest. So more use through the year, and good to keep to hand for slapping on first thing in the morning. Obviously, there's a lot of natural variation in which ingredients any particular skin responds to best. The Olive and Shea are also the two butters that are the lightest scented, to my nose. Good stuff.

Now, there are many olive-oil based body creams out there, and many are excellent; this comes in at the cheaper end of the spectrum. Not as cheap as basic olive oil - see the many ecstatic reviews elsewhere on MUA - and no replacement for the basic oil, in terms of versatility of use (alone, combined with various bases, range of formulae you can make at home, consequent applications, etc., etc.)

Contains mainly olive oil, shea and cocoa butters, and cyclomethicone (the "less heavy" silicone).

INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water) (Solvent/Diluent), Olea europaea (Olive Oil) (Emollient), Cyclomethicone (Emollient), Butyrospermum parkii (Shea Butter) (Emollient), Theobroma cacao (Cocoa Butter) (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Lanolin Alcohol (Stabiliser/Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Parfum (Fragrance), Methylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Hexyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde (Fragrance Ingredient), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Eugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Caramel (Colour), CI 77288 (Colour). continued >>

on 11/17/2007 1:21:00 PM

This is a fantastic alternative to the foody smelling body butters, like other reviewers have said it's a fresh, green scent that won't interfere with your perfume. I like the body butters for normal-dry skin the best, the others can feel too heavy on my skin, and Olive is no exception- it absorbs really nicely without feeling like it's leaving a residue. Avocado body butter, only available once in a while, is my absolute favorite because it smells so incredible but this is a comparable substitute. Overall I really love The Body Shop's body butters, they're the only body moisturizers that I've found that really seem to agree with my sensitive skin.

on 10/8/2007 6:36:00 AM

I love this body butter! The price is reasonable and it smells divine. It's also incredibly moisturising. The best time to apply the butter is just after you hop out of the shower/bath and it will make your skin supple and super smooth.

The product will last you quite a while, possibly six months to a year if you use it on a daily basis due to the butter's thick consistency which in turn, only requires you to slather a small amount on. Although, I must admit that the product initially feels a tad greasy upon application, however, it sinks in and the greasy feeling vanishes very quickly. The Body Shop's body butter is probably most suitable during Autumn and Winter but that's not to say it can't be used in the warmer times of the year; it really depends on what type of skin you have: dry, normal, oily (I've never heard of anyone with oily body skin though). It's effective for people with all skin types.

Another plus is that The Body Shop body butters aren't just limited to Olive, they have a large range of body butters, each varying in smell and key ingredients - e.g. Coconut Body Butter, Mango Body Butter, Strawberry Body Butter, Olive Body Butter and many more.

The only con I'd like to mention pertains to the packaging. The Body Shop body butters come in wide circular tubs which I am not fond of because using your fingers to scoop cream out can lead to bacterial growth.

Nevertheless, it's a great product and it's well worth the money. Don't hold back =)

on 8/25/2007 1:14:00 AM

I was searching for a good moisturizer - this did not do the job & it was expensive. However, it smells really good on me (i'm really wary of scented products 'cause they usually stink on me) - because of wonderful scent I would buy it again.

This is a great moisturizer. It is marketed as a butter for normal/dry skin but it is really quite moisturizing. If your skin is truly normal and/or you live in a hot or humid climate, I think this will be too heavy for you.

I own several of the body butters and I love the Olive one for its fantastic fresh, green, clean scent. It is very smooth and buttery in texture. It is on the creamy side compared to, for instance, the shea or coconut butters which are almost solid. The ingredients are very good, including olive oil, shea butter and cocoa butter.

In brief, this is a fantastic product that I've enjoyed for a couple of years already and that I keep repurchasing when I am out.

on 7/15/2007 1:02:00 PM

I really love Olive Butter, it's much nicer than the others. It's very buttery and light to apply and it smells soooo nice! I love it.
Some of the other body butters that they do are way too overpowering and heavy and greasy.
This stuff leaves my skin so soft. I will always be looking for THE body lotion but this one is pretty darned nice.

on 7/3/2007 11:27:00 PM

Fantastic!! I haven't used TBS products in a while...but recently, while searching for a new moisturizer, I revisited the famous Body Butter collection. After reading reviews, I decided to go with the Olive - seemed right for my normal/dehydrated skin.

It felt great!! Light and (literally) buttery, this light green balm just melted into my skin. A little goes a long way, but it really feels like it's nourishing the skin - you can almost feel it sinking in. You do need to massage/rub it in a little, but it's worth the slight wait...my skin felt very supple afterwards. I don't know how it happens, but my skin actually looks better?! The smell is also quite pretty - clean, slightly herbal, and fresh. Not overpowering and fortunately not like olives! : ) I really really like this...HG material. I hope TBS never discontinues it.

P.S. I bought the large 200mL size. I use a small spatula to spoon it into a smaller jar, so that I so I'm not dipping my fingers into the large tub every time. Hopefully this will prolong its freshness! continued >>

on 6/27/2007 2:44:00 PM

I just picked this up today and, let em just say, wow! Love this product. Perfect for after-shower moisturizing - and not as greasy as some of the body shop's other body butters. Love the scent, too. I will definitely re-purchase.

Popular Lotions / Creams