August 1, 2014 | 1830 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2010 1:34:00 AM More reviews by AdnarEar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

My HG of facial cleansers. It has made my skin look the best it ever has. My skin tone is so much more even and I am breakout free. One downside is that it does not remove makeup well. However I always have my no brand makeup remover wipes handy, so that's not a big deal! The overall appearance of my skin is completely worth the extra step of removing makeup before hand. It's also super gentle. When working it into my skin for about 40 seconds or so I really feel as though I'm doing my skin good :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2010 3:05:00 PM More reviews by l4b3l

This product isn't very known compared to all branded cleansers. I decided to try this out after breaking out and spending lots of money in other well-known brands (i.e. vichy, lush, ). Guess what ? after maybe 2 or 3 days, my acne minimized a lot. Bad thing is I have acne scars now :( !!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by reallychelseawow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

HG! I use this for everything. Body wash, face wash, shave gel etc.
This is not a makeup remover! It will not remove any long lasting makeup you wear or sunscreen. I don't wear face makeup like foundation, but during the summer I wear a primer with spf 50 and I need to use a different cleanser at night.
Also, please be aware this has dimenthicone (which it clearly states on the bottle!) and other emollients/humectants such as glycerin. If you know these ingredients cause serious breakouts, as they can with some, avoid!

My review:
I have dry, sensitive skin. Not acne prone, but the occasional TOTM blemish (which have subsided since I started Yaz anyway). I try to keep my face washing to twice a day, but I dance and sweat so sometimes it is more. I can wash my face multiple times a day with this, and it doesn't dry out my skin. I still use a moisturizer afterward although someone with normal skin may not have to.
This cleans my skin but doesn't strip it. I don't feel like there's a film on my skin after either which is nice. It's fragrance free and doesn't irritate my skin or eyes. I usually wear blush, mascara (not w/p), maybe eyeshadow and translucent powder. This removes all of those with ease, no scrubbing required. Like I said, it won't remove long lasting & w/p makeup, or sunscreens/primers.
It makes a great body wash and shave gel in a snap. I usually use thick shave creams or oils, but if I notice I missed a spot this will do the trick.
It's great bang for your buck too. I buy the huge econo pump bottle from Costco for $15. It's a massive amount and lasts me for months, even though I use it multiple times a day. The pump is great and the smaller squeeze bottles travel very well. I once had a small bottle explode in my suitcase during travel, and it got all over my clothing. No stains or marks, yay!
I will repurchase over and over.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 8:15:00 PM More reviews by asunta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First of all, this is not a makeup remover, it is a cleanser, a purifier for your skin. it does not strip your skin, it keeps your skin behaving the way it should when its balanced and clean. I use the ocm method at night and then use spectro gel to take away all the oil and then a little witch hazel followed by my beloved estee lauder night repair and moisturizer. Sounds like a long process but well worth it. Skin stays balanced and not tight. Definately great for winter when skin needs more moisture, will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2010 9:37:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

This stuff is heavenly. I've always been a lather girl until I found out that the chemicals that make products lather can be quite irritating, and have no effect on how well a product cleanses....so this slimy gel took some getting used to (I remember hating it years ago) but now I am absolutely in love. It is so gentle and makes my skin feel soft...even when my skin is compltely raw, this stuff never stings. I typically keep it to my morning cleanser bc I don't think it is great for makeup removal...mind you, my makeup is melted off pretty much completely by the end of the day because I like to use minerals so it probably would be fine for night too.

EDIT:

OMG is this discontinued??

EDIT:

Ok I emailed the company and this is NOT discontinued...thank God!! They just now call it "Blemish Prone Skin, Fragrance Free"...same colour label. I tend to stay away from things with geared to acne as I have eczema, not acne (basically the polar opposite) but they assured me it was the same formula. Really great customer service btw :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 1:27:00 PM More reviews by thriftesfai

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

I'm constantly maintaining my skin, so I good cleanser is a must for me. This is my HG. I love it. Period. It's gentle and cleans everything off my face, leaving my skin feeling clean but not tight and stripped of it's oils. I don't care if it doesn't remove makeup because I prefer to remove it with a product that is made for that job beforehand. I've been using this for two years and it has helped my blemishes, the tone and quality of my skin overall. The bottle is huge and lasts you a long flipping time, I've gone through one bottle and the one I'm using now isn't even half way done. It's fantastic, I will keep repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2010 12:46:00 PM More reviews by Bubica70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Right after Easter, I contracted perioral dermatitis. As some of you gals might know, POD is the Bermuda Triangle of skin diseases; noone knows exactly WHAT causes it or how exactly to make it go away. Some ladies claim to have had it for years, and this naturally sent me over the edge. I went to my doctor and got a scrip for Clindasol cream. Though she had initially suggested a round of oral antibiotics, I wanted to exhaust my topical options first. So on April 29th, I began said cream. I also took apple cider vinegar tablets and probiotics. Nothing seemed to be getting better. I bought a micellaire cleanser, but the rubbing made things worse. Ditto with Cetaphil. Then I read a breathless review of Spectro Jel, (written by a lady who worked for Mary Kay) claiming that SpectroJel had "cured" her and her friend, to boot. At first I rolled my eyes, but, after a further week with my red beard, I relented and bought some. I write to you now with the rash 85% improved and getting better every day. What does it do? Is it that it properly preps the skin for topical meds? I don't know, but I don't care! Yes, it comes in an unsexy bottle and yes, it smells like contact cement and yes, it feels like nose goo, but it's been an astonishing find. I'll keep you lot posted!
EDIT: Perioral dermatitis GONE. For two years. This is a fine, gentle, thorough product.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2010 1:38:00 AM More reviews by TheJoey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I fight with my skin a lot. If it is not dry and flaky, I am breaking out. I have tried a bunch of both drug store and department store product and I had yet to find something I was happy with.

Then I found this.

I started using just the cleanser during the winter and went back to my local shoppers the next week to get the companion moisturizer because I loved it so much. It left my dry, dehydrated, winter skin soft and smooth. I only break out now on occasion and even then they are easily cleared up with a spot treatment. Aswell, this cleanser removes makeup like a dream. I am often too lazy to remove all of my make up before I get in the shower at night. This takes everything right off.

I never though I would find something to make my very very sensitive skin happy.

The only down side to this product is the smell. I have the unscented version for sensitive skin and it kind of stinks. It was a little bit alarming and off-putting when I first used it but you quickly get use to it. i really don't notice anything now and it does not linger so you won't smell like that for the rest of the day.

The moisturizer does a really good job my skin use to feel really tight and I haven't had that feeling in months but it can leave my skin a little dehydrated. I try to apply my moisturizer when my face is still wet to help with this or I have another moisture shield that helps too.

I love this product and if you have dry or sensitive skin you really need to check out this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by nicurly

I use this in the winter months to follow up with the OCM. It does not remove makeup well but it does leave my skin feeling soft. I like this better than Cetaphil and like that it is Canadian so I will continue to buy. It does not make me break out or cause irritation. I do not worry about it not removing all my makeup b/c I use MAC's Cleanse Off Oil for DHC's before. I will continue to purchase when it is on sale at SDM.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2010 2:24:00 PM More reviews by creamsoda

Pros: very gentle, doesnt strip natural oils, gets rid of blemishes quicker
Cons: does not remove makeup, does not prevent blemishes

I really wanted to like this product! My skin used to be perfect until I moved across the country to a new climate, so now I break out occasionally around my forehead. Not a big deal, but I didn't like it. I've only ever used noxzema cleansers so I decided to try Spectro Jel. I didn't mind the smell at all, and I liked massaging the gel into my face. I liked the way it made my face feels afterwards. But it doesn't remove make-up, and while my blemishes seems to heal faster, I still get them just as often. I've been using it twice a day for over two months, hoping it would improve, but it hasnt. Once it runs out I'm buying something different.