July 29, 2014 | 2047 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Kalahari Duo

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2007 4:42:00 PM More reviews by ziebam

I am surprised at all the positive reviews on this. I found it a little.... lackluster. I saw this and was immediately drawn to. A soft gold with a slight pink undertone to it, and a soft browned taupe with a cool purple undertone to it. Both are super shimmery. Both shades a very pretty. My problem is that both are very light and really need to be layered to be seen on my skintone. I am an nc30 light olive complexion and you can barely see the light shade, unless i apply it wet. the darker shade is also quite light. I still feel like i need a slightly darker shade for my outer v. That being said, its very nuetral and makes a great daytime duo. I did get a compliment on this from one person. she was a pale blond and i think this duo would pop more on her skin tone. I think i may just prefer some darker shades. Still pretty but not everything I hoped.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2007 1:39:00 PM More reviews by maan84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just had to cave in and buy the new Kalahari e/s duo for fall 2007. And let me tell you, I am so glad I did! I am so happy with the colors, the quality... everything about it.
Kalahari consists of a gold confection and a sugared cocoa, according to the NARS website. I find the description to be pretty accurate. The gold color is metallic with a touch of copper.
It is very wearable. I don't have any gold e/s that is similar to this one. It is pretty unique. Great for an all over color or combined with others. The cocoa color is a tad bit darker (light to medium cocoa) and a bit less metallic than the gold one. They are not overly metallic, which makes them very versatile. The two mixed together creates a fabulous look for this fall. The colors are both so beautiful!

The texture is amazing, it is very easy to apply and the colors blend very well together. The pigmentation and lasting power are both fantastic! With UDPP as base my eye MU looked like it was newly applied after 8 plus hours of wear. I would definitely repurchase!! I see myself wearing this duo a lot this fall. If you ask me, NARS did a good job creating this must-have e/s duo.

For reference: I'm a blonde w/ blue eyes, fair skin.

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2007 11:31:00 AM More reviews by beentheredonethat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I find NARS shadows in general to non thrilling for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which tend to be weird unwearable colors for my demographic, an utter lack of staying power and drugstore quality pigment levels. Therefore, I am thrilled to offer my endorsement of Kalahari. The pigment level in both shades is terrific and it wears all day with a primer. The colors are unique, the lighter one is a sort of sand color that flashes pink, and the darker one a mid-tone purpley taupe (sort of like MAC Satin Taupe, but prettier.) The texture of these shadows is alot nicer than most other NARS I've tried as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2007 6:53:00 PM More reviews by sheilaKL

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Most of my other NARS duos I swapped, I kept AAE and now this one will be a keeper as well. The texture is excellent, soft but pigmented. They have a metallic finish that is just beautiful, and again I have to say I am very surprised at the pigment of this duo given my experiences with other NARS shadows. I agree with the reviewer below who compares the shades to a less orange , more gold woodwinked and a lighter satin taupe. These work surpisingly well together and would be a great duo for an office staple or daily daytime wear. For reference, I am a pale, warm, redhead with aqua eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2007 3:09:00 AM More reviews by Kuuipogal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

These are the gorgeous colors you find in tigereye jewelry. Perfectly rich fall colors.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2007 8:52:00 PM More reviews by PrincessScuzzlebutt2

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a pale gold and a golden taupe..both are on the cooler side. These are definitely unique neutrals. Very silky and blendable with tons of pigment too. EDIT: this one actually grew on me more. I'm usually not big on cooler toned neutrals but it really just looks great on pretty much everyone IMO.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2007 7:37:00 PM More reviews by jennstarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this duo. I love all my Shu Uemura shadows, but I couldn't say no to this one. The slightly pinky bronze/taupe shimmer is my favorite. It gives the eye that sexy natural shimmer look without being too gold or grey. I use it to blend, to do a soft smoky eye...its just unbelievable and a must have in any kit. If you have olive skin though, it does look more ashy. Still a great duo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2007 3:38:00 PM More reviews by storybookheroine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this. As someone who has too many neutrals it is wonderful to find something I do not already have in another line. I agree with Artbabe. This does remind me of Shu ME shadows but I have an easier time applying these. For those of you who purchased the Bohemian Gold duo from fall 2006 I found the finish to be similar but the colors more wearable as a duo than Bo. Gold(which I used India Song to make the look work as a completed look). Kalahari is much less work than Bo Gold and better individual colors. I find I can easily wear this in the day and take the same colors to a more dressed up smokey eye. The shine, once applied, is super pretty and eye catching. I think anyone looking to mix it up a bit with neutrals would be happy with this duo. Nars describes the colors as gold confection and sugared cocoa, my take is a ME light coppery gold (very neutral and wearable) and a darker, slightly less ME light to medium chocolate color. Both are very buildable to a darker look and are very pigmented. I've mixed the duo with Underworld and was very surprised at the dramatic but wearable smokey eye I did. Also using Voyage as a base wash (sheer tan with gold glimmer) adds bits of gold glimmer and warms the look up a bit when using underworld. With this I do Nico with Albatross to highlight and Promiscuous (the new gold l/s). I'm very pleased with Kalahari and the other fall purchases and will look for more of the collection. Blue/green eyes, Nars Mont Blanc, Becca Sand, Fresh Northern Light, light brown/dirty blonde hair with red highlights. *update* great metallic taupe when mixed together

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2007 11:42:00 PM More reviews by Artbabe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love neutral eyeshadows and NARS is one of my favorite lines. Kalahari does not disappoint. The texture and colors are soft and beautiful. There is a pale gold, which is a terrific wash color, and a cocoa shade. Both are metallics, but in a subtle way--the application reminds me of the best Shu Uemura ME eyeshadows. The effect is of a very soft sheen of color rather than shimmer. Just lovely for a natural-but-glowing look. For reference, I am a cool-toned LLL, blue eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2007 10:06:00 PM More reviews by hellolizzie3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Although I already have a lot of bronzes and taupes, this duo really called to me. The bronze is similar to mac woodwinked but less orange and the taupe is similar to mac satin taupe but a little lighter.

nars has been accused of not having enough pigment in their shadows, but this is not the case with kalahari. I felt that sugarland from spring was not pigmented enough and this is much better. true, it is NOT as pigmented as the two mac shadows listed above, but I got a great color read from both shadows when using them and the wear was nice when using UDPP.