GHD IV Styler (all sizes)

4.6

ummm ceramic duahhh

on 11/26/2010 6:28:00 PM

OMG I can't believe I haven't reviewed this so far. It is THE perfect straightening iron. Leaves my hair smooth, shiny and silky. It has saloon length swivel cord, it's very easy to handle, glides nicely...

The only downside is that it doesn't have adjustable temperature settings, and it heats up to astronomical temperatures, so this can be a bit much for fine hair...

It's expensive but definitelt worth every penny. Invest in a good hair strainghtener!

on 11/22/2010 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Note I ordered my from Sephora, it says it is the "Classic" flat iron so I'm not sure if it is the IV style or not.

I have thick, frizzy Asian hair and have tried different straightening methods over the years. The best result was with Japanese Thermal Reconditioning, but I had to stopp doing that because it was very costly. I had tried different moose, gel, spray and none of them do anything except weighing my hair down and makes my hair look greasy. I have heard that ceramic hair iron works but didnt want to shell out hundreds of dollars so I got a couple of cheap ones over the years, and they make my hair frizzy and dry instead of silky and smooth.

I had given up on my hair when I was talking to one of my friends, who has blond, thin hair and whom I had always assumed had naturally beautiful straight hair. To my surprise she revealed that she actually uses this GHD everyday to make her hair look nice. She was an absolute believer and did such a good job on convincing me that this is the best thing ever that I bit the bullet and ordered this from Sephora just to try. I figured that if I don't like it I can always return, because my friend and I had completely different types of hair.

Well it worked amazingly well! I have never achieved this kind of result with any other product except the Japanese TR. I am absolutely hooked! In the morning I only spent about 5min using it because 1. I don't have the time to and 2. I dont want to damage my hair too much. I have received several compliments from coworkers and people are always surprised that I only spent 5min doing my hair. So far I'm loving my new toy and although I promised myself not to use it everyday in fear of doing too much damages to my hair, I find myself reaching for it every morning! I do use a heat protectant spray with it as it gets VERY hot. So far, loving it and yup, I threw and way that Sephora receipt after I used it for the first time. It's a keeper!

on 10/30/2010 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

The bet flat iron ever! I've been through a few and this is by far the best. It leaves my huge curly frizzy poufy hair sleak and shiny. I love it. Worth ever penny!

on 10/26/2010 4:45:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Straightens hair perfectly and makes it look shiny. Had the same one for 5 years now and it still works meaning it works out cheaper than buying a bad quality one. Just make sure not to abuse your hair with it - I went through a phase of straightening everyday without protecting my hair and it got really thin (its fine again now). This was my fault and not the fault of the ghds so get these they are amazing but remember you are damaging your hair some when you use them.
Only downside is not being able to vary the temperature as people with thin or fine hair I think should use a lower temp.

on 10/26/2010 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I've had this baby for about 3 yrs now and love everytime i use it. Very light weight and even i am having these bad hair days, 2 swipes on my hair and the results are amazing. No complaints from me. Well worth the splurge and if mine had to break i would buy another one without thinking twice.

on 10/18/2010 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This flat iron is just amazing. It smooths your hair in an instant and just once is enough. I can get my hair done in 5 minutes and Iím even asked if I went to the hairdresser! It also makes it last! Sometimes I also curl my hair with it, and it looks great. If I need volume, I get volume. If I want it flat, I get it flat! And the most important thing, since I started use it, I donít get as much open ends as I did before with other flat irons.
It heads up very fast (about 20 seconds I think) and itís ready to use.
I love the fact that I can take it with me when I go on a trip because it has universal voltage.
Mine is a LE in Rare and came with a leopart print bag. The fact that you can also check on the webside if itís an original or fake (in case of buing it on ebay, for example) is also very good.
The downside of this flat iron is the prize. 189 euros was a bit too much, but I decided it was a good gift for myself and my hair.
I hope this one lasts forever so that I don' t have to buy me another one, but if it breaks or something, I will repurchase it again even though I cannot buy me any make up at all in years!!

on 10/15/2010 12:53:00 AM

I flipping love my GHD. I have lots of really thick wavy hair. Just to put it into perspective, I currently have a long bob (just scrapes my collar bone), and it takes me about 20-25 minutes to straighten. When its done it is perfectly straight and smooth. Don't get me started on GHD curls - I can rave for days about GHD curls. With the thickness of my hair I'll admit it can be time consuming, but its oh so worth it. I never use my curling iron because the GHD eliminate waves and frizz as you pull the iron through the curl. If mine ever dies I will definitely replace it with another. The downside is the price - would make a huge dent in my student budget if it ever did die.

on 8/24/2010 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

No one is exaggerating when they say that this product changes your life....it does. I probably have the most unhealthy hair out there (being a swimmer, going to the beach, colouring etc.) and this makes my hair absolutely smooth and glossy within 5-10minutes worth of straightening. When combined with a good heat protection product the results are really faultless. I also happen to have very thick hair which is quite wavy and I only need to go over each section once. Unlike other straighteners, the end result is not limp but volumous at the roots and smooth at the ends. No need to repurchase as this is more like a good investment for your hair which works time and time again.

on 8/23/2010 10:22:00 AM

Very disappointing, I expected it to do a much better job on my hair considering all the rave reviews. My hair was left poofy, not the dead straight and silky that I wanted. It was very good at curling though- curls were very nice and smooth, without product however, they disintegrate on my hair after a few minutes, so if you're going to be curling- use product. I'm returning it.

on 8/18/2010 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I hate to be one of the few that give this a bad review but i didn't like the GHD. I bought two, the purple limited edition and the standard black professional one. I preferred the purple over the black because the outside of the iron is much smoother and thus is great for curling, the curls glide effortlessly. The design is fabulous too, very slim and beautiful. Now for the bad. I straightened half of my hair with the GHD and half with my other iron (Croc Infrared- it's fabulous). The half i did with the GHD was poofy, did not get my roots straightened and lacked the shine i had with the Croc. This is because the GHD doesn't have a temperature control and didn't get hot enough for my hair. My roots got curly very fast and the curls i did with the iron only lasted for half an hour. This iron simply didn't get hot enough and frankly i don't understand why they don't have temperature control. I have curly mixed race hair that straightens very easily, yes very easily with my other two irons (Croc and Sedu) and so I know that the problem is not with my hair but with the iron. It doesn't get hot enough for my kind of hair. However, i can see how it would work on wavy hair types or curly heads who don't mind the extra volume. I love volume too, but when my hair starts turning frizzy and curly as soon as I walk out the door, it simply does not deliver. The Croc and Sedu (especially the Croc) do a far superior job. I give it 3 stars for its rounded barrel, sleek design and the fact that the plates are extra extra smooth. If I could adjust the temperature higher i would buy it in a minute, but I had to return mine to Sephora and only recommend it for wavy hair whose roots are already straight to begin with. Hope this helps.

Popular Hair Styling Tools