July 29, 2014 | 1887 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2010 10:58:00 PM More reviews by Magpie00

I had been dying my hair a semi-permanent black color (Midnight by Natural Instincts) for almost a year, but wanted to try something new and go for a lighter color. The black color was not budging from my hair and I began to have visible roots (even after washing with Dawn, Prell, and Head and Shoulders over the span of a few months).

I had used ONO ColorFix before, and was impressed with the results, but found it annoying to have to measure everything myself and purchase a cap, mixing bowl, and gloves in addition to the product itself. It also left my hair an awful orange color that I had to dye over.

After reading reviews, I purchased Color Oops Extra Conditioning for $9.99. I used as directed, including rinsing for twenty minutes. I also shampooed three or four times throughout the rinsing process, and used a deep conditioner afterward.

This product lightened my hair significantly (but not beyond my natural medium brown color), but left a slightly reddish tone behind, which I think looks really pretty. I am so impressed with the results, I will not be re-dyeing my hair as I had originally planned.

It's true, the product is a little runny, but that can be helped with a shower cap. The product didn't smell as bad as I thought it would, but it did leave a sulfur smell behind, even after about 4 shampoos, but it is definitely worth the results. I would definitely recommend deep conditioning after your final rinse, as my hair felt very dry (I'm glad I didn't go with the extra strength version!)
Overall, I am more than satisfied and would recommend this product to anyone trying to remove dark dye buildup from their hair.

Edit: After about 3 days, my hair had returned to it's original black/dark brown color. It has been about three weeks since using Color Oops, and my hair still smells strongly of sulfur when it gets wet. Today I decided to go back to ColorFix; I mixed equal parts #1, #2, and shampoo, and developed under a cap for 20 minutes. It did not turn my hair a horrid orange color like it did the first time I used it, my hair is significantly lighter (medium auburn/brown instead of black), and I am very happy with it. The smell of ColorFix is much better than that of Color Oops, and it left my hair in much better condition. It did not lighten my hair beyond my natural color (probably because the dyes I used never contained peroxide), and was very gentle. Also, I have enough left for about 5 more applications. I love the stuff and would recommend it over Color Oops to anyone. It says it may not work on semi permanent dyes, but those are the only dyes I have used and it definitely worked for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2010 3:58:00 PM More reviews by pearl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product saved my hair after I tried to dye my dark blonde hair auburn and it came out too violet for my liking. I was afraid that since my hair had been previously colored and highlighted that it was very porous and therefore would be harder to remove the new dark color, but it's all gone back and I have my same blonde color back. This stuff smells nasty but at least my color is back!

ETA: They're not kidding when they say to use a lighter shade if you recolor! I still love it though.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2010 10:06:00 AM More reviews by missowlie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

If you're having a hair dilemma, Color Oops is your friend :) I've used this product several times, and it has always been gentle on my hair and does everything it promises. My hair had been an extremely dark brown, and after using, it turned it light again and it felt so soft. The best part of all, is that you can dye it again in the same exact day. It lightens your hair like bleach, except it doesn't fry it.

After I used this product, my hair felt like I had just conditioned it. I was really happy :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2010 4:57:00 AM More reviews by waldsen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

With this and all colour correctors, you MUST WAIT to dye your hair again. Go look at the Colorfix reviews (same basic product, different brand) and you will note that people who re-dye without waiting a week or so have their dyed colour return. This is because the new dye will "reactivate" the particles still left in your hair.

My tips:

Concentrate on the ENDS of your hair-these have the most dye

WAIT TO REDYE, at least 3 days

Also, your colour will oxidize. This means that the colour on after using this will darken with time. It could be a little, or a lot, so wait it out and see.

Also, use colorfix if this stuff doesn't work. It tends to be more effective/stronger.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2010 11:41:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Available in drugstores for $10-$13 this works just like ONO ColorFix & I've used it before to stip my hair of old haircolor pigment that had gotten muddy looking from repeated coloring with different brands & colors. It gently removed all the artificial pigment from my hair & left a fresh base to re-color without frying my hair. Much easier to use than ONO as this product is premeasured & the applicator bottle is provided (with ONO you do your own work & provide your own supplies, as needed). I've stopped all my crazy home haircoloring experiments for a while & have pretty much tossed my wallet to the hair salon for my haircoloring needs (for now). I need a little break from all the you-never-know-what-you're-going-to-get-with-this-new-box-color madness. Next time I mess up my hair color, I know I can depend on ONO to help me "delete" it (& then probably skip over to the hairdresser for a color correction & highlights...) lol.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2009 5:46:00 PM More reviews by dhuma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hate it when something so widely adored doesn't work for me.

I wanted to remove jet black from my hair to prep it for another die job. Previous to the black, my hair had been a dark red, which I got from lightening and dying my naturally black (or dark dark brown) hair. I followed the instructions and rinsed my hair for a LONG time (about 1 hr), because I was afraid of waking up the next day with black hair again. Unfortunately, it still didn't manage to get all of the black out. I'm still giving it 3 stars because it didn't damage my hair too much and it seemed to get some of the color out, but not enough to make my hair ready for another (lightening) dye job.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2009 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Shegette

1 week ago a "professional stylist" at a salon colored my hair. She ran out of dye halfway through and asked an associate to mix up a new batch. The "stylist" used up all the dye in the new batch by going back over my bangs and part area. The associate either mixed the wrong color or my "stylist" told her the wrong color, because the second batch was not the warm, chocolate brown that I wanted, it was a blue tinged jet black. So, $80.00 later, I got home to find I looked ready for halloween with jet black hair framing my face and the nice chocolate brown underneath...kind of like those black witch wigs you get at WalMart that don't cover all your own hair. I was furious, consulted another salon who recommended a clarifying shampoo. I saw Color Oops at Walgreens and decided to give it a shot. I ended up with the extra strength because Walgreen's didn't have the regular strength. I followed the instructions carefully, and the result is a light, reddish brown where my chocolate brown was and a dark cool brown where the jet black was. I don't plan on recoloring for a while, because my hair is long, fine and thick and I don't want anymore chemical damage. My results after Color Oops aren't perfect, but they are so much better than the jet black, and better than even I expcected! I would definitely use this product again, and agree with everyone that the awful smell is worth it to have my hair closer to normal. And make sure you use conditioner!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2009 10:23:00 AM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a terrible habit of messing with my hair color. My natural color is dark blonde, but I lighten it (Preference LB02). Every so often, I color it dark blonde, hate it, and bleach it back to light blonde with no problem. This time, I really messed up. Initially, I used a medium ash blonde, hoping to counter-act the brassiness in my hair from coloring it light blonde. That, in return, turned my hair green/gray. So I went out to Target, bought a box of dark blonde color, and a box of medium brown as well. I used the dark blonde on top, and the medium brown underneath, hoping to achieve a two-toned color. When I rinsed and dried, my hair was dark brown, with slight green/gray casts coming through. I freaked, since I didn't have time to fix it before work (a 9 hour shift...at the mall...on a saturday...). As soon as I got home I started researching how I could fix this when I came across Color Oops. Numerous websites had good reviews, so I went out to Rite Aid to buy it. At 10.99 a box, I was hoping it worked as well as people said. I bought two boxes, since my hair is fairly long and very thick. When I got home, I read the instructions very carefully. I took the advice of other reviewers and set up the bathrom with the window open and a fan pointed to push the air out of the room. I began applying the remover, which is really easy to work through hair. Unlike actual hair color, it doesn't make your hair knotty, stuck together, and hard. The smell wasn't horrible, but it did remind me of a cheap fruit salad. I was able to comb through my hair with a wide tooth comb to work the mixture through my hair thouroughly. Before I even left the bathroom, I noticed my blonde roots coming through. I set the timer for twenty minutes and anxiously waited. I rinsed my hair for almost 40 minutes (the instructions say rinse for 15-20 minutes, but the longer the better). I did start smelling the "rotten eggs" when I rinsed it out, and it still faintly lingers through the apartment. I dried my hair, and was slightly disappointed. My hair was still a light golden brown/dark blonde. Now, that is probably my fault, since I think I should have used both boxes (I only used one because I thought my hair was fully saturated, but now I'm not sure it was). It may be light enough that I can bleach it back to the right color, but if I need to use Color Oops again, I'd use the full two boxes. If your hair is medium/long, use at least two to be on the safe side, and rinse rinse rinse.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2009 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Charbridges

Loved this product! It worked wonders for me! :) Been dying my hair for YEARS and still turned back to my natural hair color.
I know if you have bleached hair you remove natural pigment from your hair and ColorOops cannot restore that. Also, If you use a 20v or more developer it removes natural pigment and cannot restore that either. I found that out from other people. Hope this helped anyone who is considering using it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2009 7:56:00 PM More reviews by afanda1

I have naturally medium brown hair. This summer I was dying it Dark Golden Blond which I really loved, but was tired of fixing roots. I grabbed a medium brown color but it was a cool and I was A-S-H-Y! So green. Was really scared to use this stuff.

Verdict - worked like a charm! Back to the color it was, EXACTLY! Smelled like crap though. I could smell it on my hair for weeks after. But, worth the stink for not having green hair.

Highly recommend! Stick with regular strength, I hear scary things about the Extra Strength.