October 21, 2014 | 898 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2010 11:47:00 AM More reviews by gabprg

I had 'Special Effects' hair dye in my hair. After I opened the pack and was reading the instructions, I realized they are saying that it will not work on bright colour dyes. Since I already had it, I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I did everything as per the instructions but there was no change. I am not blaming the product at all but wanted everyone to be aware of this fact. Do not use Oops to remove 'Special Effect' hair dye.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2010 3:37:00 PM More reviews by kjeff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

SAVED ME AGAIN!! Love this stuff. I wish haircolor companies would be honest about their hair colors. This saved me a second time when a supposedly red dye turned my hair black. Fantastic product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2010 8:53:00 PM More reviews by jcdiva1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Black

This stuff worked so well on my too-dark extensions! I dyed my extensions dark brown and they turned out BLACK as night and I was pissed so I tried dying it with lighter colors (before I found out that dye doesn't "remove" color, it just adds more) so my hair was now this goth black color with red undertones and I just wanted my hair to be normal again. So I bought color oops, hoping that it would work...and it DID! :) To my surprise, it got rid of all the color and returned my extensions to it's natural hair color. I was shocked! Hopefully the black doesn't come back but overall I would buy it again.

PS: I would really recommend you to use color oops outside because you can't even smell it when you put it on, unlike if you try to do it inside (and it smells BAD, like toilet water and crap lol). Plus the warm weather will help the product work. Good Luck!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2010 10:58:00 PM More reviews by Magpie00

I had been dying my hair a semi-permanent black color (Midnight by Natural Instincts) for almost a year, but wanted to try something new and go for a lighter color. The black color was not budging from my hair and I began to have visible roots (even after washing with Dawn, Prell, and Head and Shoulders over the span of a few months).

I had used ONO ColorFix before, and was impressed with the results, but found it annoying to have to measure everything myself and purchase a cap, mixing bowl, and gloves in addition to the product itself. It also left my hair an awful orange color that I had to dye over.

After reading reviews, I purchased Color Oops Extra Conditioning for $9.99. I used as directed, including rinsing for twenty minutes. I also shampooed three or four times throughout the rinsing process, and used a deep conditioner afterward.

This product lightened my hair significantly (but not beyond my natural medium brown color), but left a slightly reddish tone behind, which I think looks really pretty. I am so impressed with the results, I will not be re-dyeing my hair as I had originally planned.

It's true, the product is a little runny, but that can be helped with a shower cap. The product didn't smell as bad as I thought it would, but it did leave a sulfur smell behind, even after about 4 shampoos, but it is definitely worth the results. I would definitely recommend deep conditioning after your final rinse, as my hair felt very dry (I'm glad I didn't go with the extra strength version!)
Overall, I am more than satisfied and would recommend this product to anyone trying to remove dark dye buildup from their hair.

Edit: After about 3 days, my hair had returned to it's original black/dark brown color. It has been about three weeks since using Color Oops, and my hair still smells strongly of sulfur when it gets wet. Today I decided to go back to ColorFix; I mixed equal parts #1, #2, and shampoo, and developed under a cap for 20 minutes. It did not turn my hair a horrid orange color like it did the first time I used it, my hair is significantly lighter (medium auburn/brown instead of black), and I am very happy with it. The smell of ColorFix is much better than that of Color Oops, and it left my hair in much better condition. It did not lighten my hair beyond my natural color (probably because the dyes I used never contained peroxide), and was very gentle. Also, I have enough left for about 5 more applications. I love the stuff and would recommend it over Color Oops to anyone. It says it may not work on semi permanent dyes, but those are the only dyes I have used and it definitely worked for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2010 3:58:00 PM More reviews by pearl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product saved my hair after I tried to dye my dark blonde hair auburn and it came out too violet for my liking. I was afraid that since my hair had been previously colored and highlighted that it was very porous and therefore would be harder to remove the new dark color, but it's all gone back and I have my same blonde color back. This stuff smells nasty but at least my color is back!

ETA: They're not kidding when they say to use a lighter shade if you recolor! I still love it though.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2010 10:06:00 AM More reviews by missowlie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

If you're having a hair dilemma, Color Oops is your friend :) I've used this product several times, and it has always been gentle on my hair and does everything it promises. My hair had been an extremely dark brown, and after using, it turned it light again and it felt so soft. The best part of all, is that you can dye it again in the same exact day. It lightens your hair like bleach, except it doesn't fry it.

After I used this product, my hair felt like I had just conditioned it. I was really happy :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2010 4:57:00 AM More reviews by waldsen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

With this and all colour correctors, you MUST WAIT to dye your hair again. Go look at the Colorfix reviews (same basic product, different brand) and you will note that people who re-dye without waiting a week or so have their dyed colour return. This is because the new dye will "reactivate" the particles still left in your hair.

My tips:

Concentrate on the ENDS of your hair-these have the most dye

WAIT TO REDYE, at least 3 days

Also, your colour will oxidize. This means that the colour on after using this will darken with time. It could be a little, or a lot, so wait it out and see.

Also, use colorfix if this stuff doesn't work. It tends to be more effective/stronger.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2010 11:41:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Available in drugstores for $10-$13 this works just like ONO ColorFix & I've used it before to stip my hair of old haircolor pigment that had gotten muddy looking from repeated coloring with different brands & colors. It gently removed all the artificial pigment from my hair & left a fresh base to re-color without frying my hair. Much easier to use than ONO as this product is premeasured & the applicator bottle is provided (with ONO you do your own work & provide your own supplies, as needed). I've stopped all my crazy home haircoloring experiments for a while & have pretty much tossed my wallet to the hair salon for my haircoloring needs (for now). I need a little break from all the you-never-know-what-you're-going-to-get-with-this-new-box-color madness. Next time I mess up my hair color, I know I can depend on ONO to help me "delete" it (& then probably skip over to the hairdresser for a color correction & highlights...) lol.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2009 5:46:00 PM More reviews by dhuma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hate it when something so widely adored doesn't work for me.

I wanted to remove jet black from my hair to prep it for another die job. Previous to the black, my hair had been a dark red, which I got from lightening and dying my naturally black (or dark dark brown) hair. I followed the instructions and rinsed my hair for a LONG time (about 1 hr), because I was afraid of waking up the next day with black hair again. Unfortunately, it still didn't manage to get all of the black out. I'm still giving it 3 stars because it didn't damage my hair too much and it seemed to get some of the color out, but not enough to make my hair ready for another (lightening) dye job.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2009 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Shegette

1 week ago a "professional stylist" at a salon colored my hair. She ran out of dye halfway through and asked an associate to mix up a new batch. The "stylist" used up all the dye in the new batch by going back over my bangs and part area. The associate either mixed the wrong color or my "stylist" told her the wrong color, because the second batch was not the warm, chocolate brown that I wanted, it was a blue tinged jet black. So, $80.00 later, I got home to find I looked ready for halloween with jet black hair framing my face and the nice chocolate brown underneath...kind of like those black witch wigs you get at WalMart that don't cover all your own hair. I was furious, consulted another salon who recommended a clarifying shampoo. I saw Color Oops at Walgreens and decided to give it a shot. I ended up with the extra strength because Walgreen's didn't have the regular strength. I followed the instructions carefully, and the result is a light, reddish brown where my chocolate brown was and a dark cool brown where the jet black was. I don't plan on recoloring for a while, because my hair is long, fine and thick and I don't want anymore chemical damage. My results after Color Oops aren't perfect, but they are so much better than the jet black, and better than even I expcected! I would definitely use this product again, and agree with everyone that the awful smell is worth it to have my hair closer to normal. And make sure you use conditioner!