September 17, 2014 | 1295 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by BuckNekked

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just tried this for the first time based off great reviews. This stuff delivers. It deposits protein in your hair, which is essential if you bleach it like me (or if you're a vegetarian like me!) As soon as I started rinsing it off in the shower, I could tell my hair texture was different and better. Once dry, it feels stronger and more manageable. The stuff is super stinky though. And the 2nd step (conditioner) has a grandma throwback scent, but I just pretended I was getting my hair done by Dolly Parton in Steel Magnolias. I imagine that's how that salon would smell. Hey maybe that's weird but it makes the process more fun!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2012 12:17:00 AM More reviews by waterline

I'm currently doing the no-poo regime for my very bleached hair and just wanted to let any natural girls know that this stuff is magic for us too. Instead of shampooing before use, I just used my normal replacement for it, baking soda. This has increased the health of my hair like crazy. New HG product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 12:25:00 PM More reviews by MbMinx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this product. I have used it several times over the years, whenever I remember that my hair likes protein. I always get great results. I definitely have to do both steps, though. I've got to have the moisture after my protein.

I've never used heat for the first step. I know that's what the directions say, but I don't have a good heat source available. That's OK. It works just fine - it just takes longer. My hair still dries rock hard. It takes some time to rinse it out gently, but it DOES come out. AFter that, the deep conditioner goes on until I feel like rinsing it out.
My hair comes out great, full of body and shine.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by lilyflower26

Bought this product after a Sally's employee recommended it. My hair did not turn "rock hard" when I blow dried it, it just felt as if i loaded it with mouse and hairspray. I did not find it necessary to dip my head into the tub as recommended on here, it rinsed away easily, it also wasnt as messy as I expected and the smell not bad at all. Also I bought the ones in the little packages and I felt I needed 2 due to my long hair but unfortunately only bought 1, so if you have hair that falls to your lower back, definetly purchase two. So on to the review...

Initially after the first rinse I did not see a difference in my hair but the day after when I washed my hair again I felt a total difference. My hair was shinier and softer, overall felt more healthy and less breakage. This did not transform my hair from dry and damaged to beautiful and perfect but it DID make a significant difference, a difference that I have never seen another product do so quickly. It is totally worth it and I will continue to use this every 2 months.

BTW i have very long wavy/curly hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2012 10:16:00 AM More reviews by ehamlet

Back in January. I relaxed my hair with Mizani sensitive scalp butter blends and shortly after applied what I thought was a quality black semi-permanent color. I have done this numerous of times with a product called Adore in black velvet but this particular day I used a different brand of color Kiss jet black semi color rinse. Worst mistake of my life. My hair became straw like. I wouldn’t even curl with my flat iron. I was in tears. Even after months of conditioning and gradually cutting my hair was in the same dull lifeless state. Until last Friday when I discovered this product online and read its rave reviews. After following the products instructions I added a couple more steps. I applied Red kens moisturizing conditioner and rinsed. Then I added Kera Care leave in conditioner and Viola. My hair was back to its original normal state pre horrific color. I love this product so much I will stock up on it. The girl at the beauty supply said they have a hard time keeping it in. I was this close *** (holding right thumb and right index finger apart) *** from purchasing a kpac treatment for $35.00. So glad I took a chance on this product and all of its $2.99 glory. I only wish that I knew about this product in Jan. I could have avoided cutting my hair. Buy it. You will not regret it. I want stock in this company.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2012 5:41:00 AM More reviews by antagligen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am so grateful to everyone in here who made me buy this product. I have recently highlighted my hair blonde with cheap drugstore products (usually use professional goldwell and wella) and it looked like crap. Very brittle, dryish and absolutely no body.
So i figured I should buy a protein treatment as redken extreme or k-pac when I came across reviews of the two step treatment. It is soo cheap! Bought it off ebay for 13 dollars shipping incl, (compared to about 60!! dollar for a redken extreme treatment, it sucks living in Sweden!) And used it last night. It did smell pretty bad especially together with all the heat from my hair dryer, but the results are amazing!
My hair is just lika my 8 year old sisters who I was very envious of last time I saw her hair. ;)
Now I just need a little moisture boost for the shine.
Definately recommend this!

Uploaded a picture, check it out! Styled my hair with babyliss big hair styler. Most amazing tool too!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 11:47:00 PM More reviews by nualab67

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Let's be clear.

There is nothing as good as this. Nothing. No protein re-structuring product has the force of this one. Not Redken Extreme, nor Paul Mitchel, Nor Nexuus - nor the list of other high end mega potions.

This one is cheap, and weird to use - but it is PROFESSIONAL quality. So not made to lure the over-the-counter lovely packaging, nice smell crew.

To use: shampoo hair. Towel dry. Distribute loads through all your hair (be warned it is sticky and slimy and odd smelling). Then pile your hair on top of your head and settle down for a long session with the hairdryer. I have a hood dryer so that it is easy. But either way, loads of heat for a long time.

This stuff sets rock hard. Solid. Then keep applying the heat. Reckon on minimum 1/2 up to one whole hour. It's the heat that catalyzes the protein to form new "hair" and replace the old, treated apology for hair I had before.

Then gently moisten all the hair - which is now set rock solid - SO DO NOT USE THE HEAT WITH THE HAIR LYING DOWN YOUR BACK IF YOU ARE GOING TO HANG YOUR HEAD OVER THE BATH AFTERWARDS. Moisten thoroughly until the hair begins to soften. Then rinse it all out. Finish with a conditioner - yes, this is not a conditioner in the sense of all those things you buy that add moisture, silicones and softness. So you need to finish with your regular conditioner.

That's it. Oh yeh - and say welcome back to hair that is like real, live, lovely hair. The sort of stuff you had before you bleached it, bombed it, fried it, pulled it. dehydrated it, curled it and stripped it of all meaningful life.

I repeat, nothing else on this planet is as good at this stuff for reviving dead ex-hair and returning it to its living state.

Happy revival.

25 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2012 3:02:00 PM More reviews by Manillo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This works. It really does work for damaged hair...at least it works for my african american transitioning hair. I'm currently growing out my relaxer and my hair has been breaking off and I have been losing strands everytime I wash and comb it. Even if I just run my fingers through my hair, I inevitably lose hair. Well after one of these treatments, boy did I notice a change in my hair!

It did not stop the breakage completely, but I would say it stopped about 80% of it. I will definitely be doing this treatment every 6-8 weeks faithfully from now on. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because it smells horrible and it is extremely messy and runny. But it will turn your hair around.

Now I'm kicking myself because I endured a year worth of breakage for nothing!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/24/2012 8:55:00 PM More reviews by maryjanebranigin

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading reviews on MUA I decided to give this two-step protein treatment a try. I followed directions to the "T", washed hair, towel dried, applied product ( other reviewers were right, it IS messy!), and dried hair using blow drier set on low setting until hair was completely dry (and like others said, ROCK hard). Afterwards I rinsed out the product as directed, and followed with a (very expensive) Brazilian blowout Conditioner. My hair feels soft, but a little dry at the same time. Truthfully, I could've gotten the same (maybe even better) results using a high quality conditioning treatment.
Would definitely NOT buy this product again.
My recommendation: Don't waste your time or $ !

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2012 4:35:00 AM More reviews by NOLACreoleGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product since the age of 16/17 when I relaxed my hair OFTEN! This has been a staple of mine for years...it's saved my hair from many of damaging chemical treatments (including my stint as a platinum blond from natural black hair smh) I'm not TOO crazy about the Balancing Moisturizer that comes in the kit that I get from my local beauty supply store. But I use it anyway and I also suggest using a VERY moisturizing deep conditioner after this treatment (or any protein treatment) as proteins tend to leave the hair dry if not properly moisturized.

The application can get a bit messy but I've taken to pouring a small amount into an applicator bottle and it makes it easier for me. As stated in a few other reviews the smell does go away so no worried...but after all these years I don't really notice it lol.

Keep in mind that this is a HEAVY protein treatment and some find that their hair doesn't respond well to it. There are lighter treatments that I like such as the Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstrutor (that I always leave in for longer than 2 minutes) and its more of a conditioner as opposed to an actual treatment such as this one.

I've recommended this to several of my friends over the years and if you're having breakage or your tresses are damaged, this may be the one to try.