July 28, 2014 | 2038 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Boots - Mattifying Make-up Base

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2009 1:49:00 PM More reviews by BorderAnnie

ok this stuff IS thick and white and pasty - however! if you take just a few seconds to blend it in, lightly, like grazing your fingers over it, it absorbs and keeps oil away for a couple of hours.. which is way more than anything else i've tried! for the price, i haven't found anything that works better, heck - even the more expensive items i've used don't work as well! just take a second, blend it in, and then wait a few minutes - before you put on your makeup or spf, check for any white spots!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2009 10:47:00 PM More reviews by shiaobundan

I really like this stuff, but I use it in addition to Smashbox Photofinish, not instead of. Because this stuff doesn't act as a good base for makeup (can make foundation look cakey) I use it only on my T-Zone and a bit on the cheeks. It is an EXCELLENT mattifier and keeps the oil from shining through. Everywhere else I put Photofinish because it is a true primer, meaning it creates a smooth base.

I will repurchase. Dirt cheap and effective stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2009 11:00:00 AM More reviews by TMKipp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I think this is my favorite mattifying cream. I've tried Shiseido Matifying Veil, Mary Kay Oil Mattifier, Origins Matte Scientist, and so on, and so on. For the money, this one seems to work the best. I don't think I'll ever find anything that absorbs my oiliness for the whole day, but this lasts about 4 hours - the best I've found. It can leave white, cakey-ness if your skin is too dry when you apply (like sides of my nose in the winter).

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2009 9:29:00 PM More reviews by mellybeerbelly

I recommend using it over moisturizer and under foundation. It's very mattifying and really makes your make up last all day. Be careful to blend well otherwise makeup will cling to the primer and bare patches will stand out.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2009 5:43:00 PM More reviews by BNoel45

I tested this product out for the first time last night. I found it made my powder look darker than normal, but I think next time I'll use a brush to dusk my powder on vs. the sponge that comes in the compact. Went out with a group of friends to several bars and one was really hot. Assumed I'd look oily by the end of the night, but nope not with this stuff! I recommend, its only 10.00 and if you get embarrassed by oily skin this stuff works. I'm going to try it tomorrow before work, thats when the real test begins. By 1pm my face is usually quite shiny. Fingers crossed!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2009 3:59:00 PM More reviews by HawaiianGinger

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This definitely does help control oil, but like my other mattifying primer, Smashbox Anti-Shine, it does not control oil all day, not that I expected it to. It also really mattifys the skin on application and pores appear much much smaller which I love. It does not react well if you try to put liquid or cream make-up or concealer over top of it though, I find it tends to ball up and rub off or just makes your make-up look really unnatural. This is no longer a problem for me though since I use Everyday Minerals intensive fair concealer which is a powder. I don't use foundation either, just a bit of powder. The other problem with this is if you apply too much at all, or apply it on dry skin, it leaves white streaks (but they are easily rubbed away). All in all I think you just have to use a light hand, blend well, and only apply in areas that are oily. Overall I do like this for what it is and the price is decent, so I would repurchase, in fact I believe I am on my second tube at least.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2009 8:15:00 PM More reviews by Honeybabe39

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was just a total waste of $10. I bought this because Paula Begoun rated it highly, and her review says it's a very good option for oily to very oily skin. I have very oily skin, and it is NOT what I would consider a good option, or even mediocre. My skin actually got oilier quicker when I used this. As a primer, it's just awful - it makes my makeup look worse. It is thick, but I could rub it in okay, and when I used my foundation over it, it looked clumpy and bad. I used this about 5 times to see if it'd get any better, but no luck. This truly has no redeeming qualities other than that it did not break me out.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2009 12:28:00 AM More reviews by chinacat84

I have the Magix by Avon and I was told by numerous people that this was similar but better. Unfortunately, they were wrong!

This stuff is just awful. Its thick, white, and pasty. Avon's is colorless and it kinda just melts into your skin. This stuff doesn't spread evenly at all. I tried applying it with a makeup brush, a makeup sponge, a damp makeup sponge, and my fingers. Nothing really got the gunk to spread evenly - though the damp makeup sponge did the best job. So, I figured that it wouldn't matter too much - it wouldn't show through my foundation, right?

Wrong! My foundation stuck to the areas with the most primer. So I had areas that were darker than others. I used the damp sponge method too and it didn't work - it still clung to the areas with the most primer.

Not only that, but it dried out my face so bad that it burned - but it didn't stop the oil from showing through. With the Avon Magix, the oil usually doesn't show for about 6 hrs depending on how hot I am. With this stuff, it was like I'd never put anything on in the first place. It also made me breakout really bad. I don't usually have sensitive skin - just oily skin - but this stuff really bothered me.

Try the Magix - it works so much better, it's colorless, it doesn't dry you out or give you zits, and if you buy it on sale - it's cheaper! It also has a more pleasing texture and even if you don't get it even the foundation doesn't cling to the thicker areas!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2009 2:49:00 PM More reviews by lou4k6

Wow! I am a new convert to primers/mattifying bases! This product rocks! I was in my local boots store yesterday and had a spare 5 pound gift voucher for no7. This product retails at 10 pounds so i figured it was worth a try. I am so pleased i got it! I have never used a base before. I wouldn't class this as a primer, more of a mattifying oil control base. I googled primer and found out that 'a primer fills in pores and lines and creates a smooth surface so that foundation adheres to skin better and lasts longer'
My no7 mineral foundation and blusher definitely lasted longer, i have very oily t zone and my skin is usually greasy 1-2 hours after applying make up in the morning. I have very sensitive skin prone to lots of breakouts and so far i have been fine with this product, will update soon after i have used this for a while.
Applying was no easy feat though! It dries very fast so i think the best way to do it is to put some in your hands rub together and just smooth all over your entire face. If you apply too slowly it balls up and goes all crusty! Not a good look!
You could also use this product as a mattifying gel to PAT over skin over make up in the daytime to touch up and oilies! My skin has never looked better and my make up has never looked as good at 10 o clock at night as it does when i first applied it!
This product is my HG base, definitely worth a go!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2009 10:15:00 PM More reviews by ash_theoriginal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am really on the fence about this primer, if that's what you want to call it. This is more of a mattifier than anything else. It kept me oil free for a good 5 hours before I had to blot, and without using this product I am oily within a half hour or so. This stuff is super thick and very hard to blend evenly. It disappears into the skin almost instantly and leaves a very dry feeling to my skin. It doesn't fill in any pores and does not make a smooth application for makeup. I like that it does keep me matte for a long time, but this to me is not a primer. I have only used it for several days now and have not noticed any breakouts yet, but I will monitor and then edit this if I do. With oily and acne prone skin it is nearly impossible to find a primer. They either make me more oily or cause me to breakout like crazy. I hope this isn't the best of the best for my skin type, so I am still on the hunt for that HG primer!!!!!
Update: It`s been 1 week of use. This product has not made me break out so this product is ok by me :) Still no primer, but amazing at keeping ,me matte. If it doesn`t break me out I like it, so I`ll continue using this.