October 20, 2014 | 1584 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 30

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2008 8:37:00 AM More reviews by treecatd

I'm going to cry if i hear another person uses this as their sole sunscreen- PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!! I like this for touch-ups during the day as a powder. But seeing how the brush is a little rough for my taste , i decided to just pour it in a regular shifter jar. If you are wondering about this product but don't want to shell out 30$, just visit coastalscents.com or one of the beauty DIY stores and pick up some zinc oxide & titanium dioxide and mix it in with any loose powder- it's very easy to find the right proportions that work with your skin- good luck! Still : Use a ss underneath powder!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2008 4:53:00 AM More reviews by streeetdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great on-the-go product to have in the purse. It's great for removing mid-day shine and be protected from the UV rays at the same time. But there are 2 cons: I have no idea how much product I actually applied because the powder is so fine and disappears on my skin, and secondly... it's not possible to wash the brush applicator when there is still powder left in the tube.... this may not be an issue for some but I'm a germphobic so minus 1 lippy for that. But all in all, this is one of the few sunscreens in the market that actually encourages people to apply SPF more often because it's so foolproof and easy.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2008 8:22:00 PM More reviews by curlytexan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great. Another WOW product for me in 2008.

The good stuff:
- I can dust this on right over my regular makeup, no change in shade or appearance
- Since it's a powder, it helps me control shine
- The packaging is wonderful, usually the brushes on this type of packaging get bent and messy, but this has a great plunger-type bottom that moves the bristles up and down to avoid crumpling.
- UVA and UVB coverage!
- Contains willow bark which is great for controlling redness
No compliants, definitely recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2008 4:45:00 PM More reviews by tammy000

Great physical sunscreen, no alcohol, but messy

I decided to buy this sunscreen because it satisfies my following requirements:
- pure physical sunscreen (blocking uva&uvb instead of absorbing them)
- no alcohol
- SPF 15 and above

Such sunscreens are so hard to find, because most of physical sunscreens contain alcohol. I finally found this one, and feels this could be the right one.

It feels sheer and smooth after application. Unlike many physical sunscreens that create a noticeable white layer, this one is barely noticeable. I love it. I also used spray to settle them down.

During the day, it feels a little tight, kinda like when I move my face muscles, i feel something is on face preventing them from moving. But this feeling is minor, and probably that is what is supposed to be as physical sunscreen is supposed to have a layer on skin to block ultraviolet rays.

But as it is dryer than most sunscreens, I would recommend using a good moisturizer under it unless you have oily skin.

When I just got it, the first impression is that it is messy. The cap does not look clear as shown in pictures available online. Instead, it is a foundation color as it is covered with the minerals. The bar is sealed with plastics, so it shouldn't have been open, but seems the cap does not close tight so minerals come out easily.

When I apply it using the brush, I can see the powder going everywhere. I was so worried it can easily fly into my eyes and my mouth, so I apply it with my eyes and mouth closed. This product needs a better application bush design. The Pillow Puff applicator of rare mineral is much better. I probably will pour the power into my rare mineral container when I finish it.

I also checked all of its ingredients, and all are safe, except it contains mica which is considered dangerous for your lung if inhaled in large amount (according to Winter's A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients). As we are not going to inhale much, nowhere else saying it is bad (I checked canadian hotlist, CIR expert website, and wikipedia) and mica is used in many cosmetics, I assume it is fine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2008 9:46:00 PM More reviews by SinCity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really dislike suncreens on my face and unfortunately my fave m/u doesn't have any already in it. I use this as a powder over my m/u. Have had no skin reactions at all. The only problem with it is that if you shake it up too much you will end up in a cloud of dust.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2008 8:37:00 PM More reviews by Abderhazy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product because I needed a touch-up sunscreen mid-day that would be non-greasy and can go over the oil that would surely be covering my skin by lunchtime (sorry, but there's no way I can wash my face at noon just so I can re-apply sunscreen). I tried Colorescience powder before this, and it was just too pasty and thick for my skin. So I gave PTR a shot. I first blot my face (it's very oily) and then apply this all over. It goes on smoothly and makes my face matte. It's good enough so that I don't have to re-apply powder. I know many have complained about the container, but it's pretty convenient for me. I just keep it in my purse and dab as needed throughout the day. Of course, I have NO idea how much product I'm putting on, or if it actually works, but at least psychologically I "think" I'm protected from UVA/UVB rays...

With that said, I think I want to buy a second tube and empty it in a loose powder container, then use it with my soft powder brush on days I need to layer it on a bit more just so I feel more protected (hah!). I really just don't know how much of the product I need/have on in order to have sufficient protection. I don't rely solely on this (I put sunscreen on before I leave the house) but I do use it during peak sunshine hours. Would I use this while sipping a fruity drink on a lounge chair during a beach vacation? Well, not as my sole sunscreen but probably to reduce the shine OVER another sunscreen . I also hear avobenzone looses its efficiency when mixed with a physical sunscreen but I don't know if that's true. Still, don't really want to take unnecessary chances and trying to stay away from chemical sunscreens.

All in all, I don't have an alternative unless I wash my face and re-apply my daily sunscreen, so this is as good as it gets for really oily skin and at least it makes me look good/matte. I do know that some dermatologists have recommended this for people with uber-sensitive skin, so it can't be that bad if Docs have vouched for it... Definitely will repurchase this unless I see proof that it doesn't work (and there's no way in hell I'm going to bake out in the sun for hours to test the theory...) Still, I treat it more as an SPF 15 than a 30.... I wouldn't be out in the sun for more than 15-20 mins with just this powdered on.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2008 5:59:00 AM More reviews by cmc1234

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Tried this on at Sephora. It was way too dark for my fair skin and I think I broke the tester trying to figure out how to get the powder out. Didn't buy although I really like the idea of it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2008 11:27:00 AM More reviews by maureen2

I bought this sunscreen to put on after my moisturizer w/o sunscrren and I really like it. I use it to reapply throughout the day and as a bonus it knocs out any shine on my face. I use it on my 5 yr. old also. My only complaint is that sometimes when I open it there is way too much powder on the brush, seems like I'm wasting. However I will repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2008 7:42:00 PM More reviews by debstar75

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So many hopes for this, but it ended up returned. Somehow, the packaging lets out a ton of powder, even if you barely move it. I ended up in a cloud of product, which felt really wasteful. Also, the powder made my skin feel tight and itchy, so I think it's fairly drying (I don't have dry skin, so I never expected that to be a problem). Lastly, it did seem to "tint" my skin a darker color, even though it's supposed to be translucent. If you have really fair skin, I probably wouldn't recommend this, since it can be pretty visible. I think if you already use a physical sunscreen, you probably don't need this.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2008 7:23:00 PM More reviews by hugon0

I agree with the positive comments here. Product seemed too good to be true, but I recall buying a PTR sunscreen years ago that was one of very few that did not burn when I put it on my face, so I shelled out. It's a clever design, though could be executed better (Hey PTR, how about a nicer case that you could refill? I'd pay more for that!)
But all in all, I've never had a sunscreen that actually encouraged use, and this one does. No goo, no smell, no stinging, and yes, it does give a nice finish too-I just skip powder and use this instead. And often this is all I use. Tapping the tube a bit seems to release a bit of powder. Someone mentioned breathing it in--I have noticed that, so I shut my eyes and hold my breath to put it on!
But it's perfect to throw in my bag and have around all day. I'll probably buy another soon so I will never have to leave it behind. Also, it never opens up in my bag, FYI.
Great idea, great gift, seems great for kids, men, and anyone who doesn't like putting goo on the face. I guess I just hope it's really blocking the sun!