April 16, 2014 | 2023 users online

Foundations - Smashbox - High Definition Healthy FX Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2011 1:09:00 PM More reviews by sanyav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think Smashbox re-formulated this foundation - the one I bought couple of years ago was very oily-feeling and offered no coverage at all. They also introduced more colours in the lighter range.

I just recently tried this out since F0 (the fairest shade) is such a perfect colour match for me - it's very light with nice neutral/beige undertone (not PINK, not YELLOW, not WHITE).

The coverage is much imroved - this one was not really dewy, more like a natural finish when it dried, and the coverage is medium. I honestly would like it to be a bit more dewy.

But love the colour so I'll keep using it !

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2011 2:21:00 PM More reviews by freezepop413

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have very VERY fair, dry, and sensitive skin. This product did nothing for me. I got the lightest color and it's STILL too dark and orangey. The only good thing about it is the dewy finish, but it does not have enough coverage for my acne scars. It's more like a tinted moisturizer. I will go back to using Rimmel's 25 hour foundation, which is about 6 bucks and works a whole lot better than this overpriced foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2011 9:21:00 PM More reviews by abjo17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really like this foundation for its good coverage and skin tone adapting quality. I only ever wear this foundation on nights out when I would like a little bit more coverage than daytime. However I occasionally mix it with a lighter foundation (Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua) to 'water' it down a little, so to speak.
I love the pump in this foundation as it rises as you use it, making it fresh foundation from the first to the very last drop. Also works wonders with Smashbox Photo Finish Primer.
I'm really brand loyal to Smashbox with 80% of my make-up bag their products, which makes me inclined to rate this with a 5, but I wouldn't consider it a 5 based against my 5 rated Chanel foundation. A 4 yes.
It's still brilliant though! £28 I think I bought it for. I recommend this foundation for someone after a bit more coverage for day or night.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2011 9:30:00 AM More reviews by gkitten25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have only been using this product for a week or so, and so far I am quite liking it. I have oily combo skin, and do get the odd breakout, I have to say that I haven't had a breakout while using this product, but it is early days. I have noticed slight, small blocked pores on my cheeks, but I have been trying out a new primer recently, and I think that it may be due to that rather than the foundation.

With regards to colour, I did get a shade or two darker than my skin tone, as I often use moisturing tan on my body, and had also recently died my hair a few shades darker, so felt I needed something to warm up my skin tone, I'm really enjoying the colour, it lets me go a few shades darker without looking orange or cakey and I find that a little goes a long way and blends well.

**UPDATE** I felt I should add an update as I had to take a couple of lippies off this foundation. When I first reviewed it was early days, I have since stopped using this product. I do still like the colour, but the texture just wasn't providing me with the right coverage for my oilier skin, I also felt that it wasn't helping my breakouts either. I would say this is more for normal/dry skin. I also noticed, after not using it for a while, that the product was 'seperating' in the bottle, this probably happens with most foundations but it made it appear very greasy as the liquid separated. Wouldn't purchase again but would like to point out it is mainly due to the product being incompatable with my skin type, do not want to put others off ,as I said it may work better for drier/mature skin types.

I usually use blotting papers during the day to control my oil areas, but since using this foundation and my primer, I have found that I need to do this a lot less and my make up lasts and looks good all day.

To sum it up, one of my favourites so far, I am going to persevere and see if my little blocked pores clear up, I am prone to these anyway, and need to exfoliate regularly! It is a bit on the expensive side, but so far I'd say it's been worth it, a great day to night foundation as you can build up the colour to get a heavier coverage. Although I do agree with previous reviews that it doesn't give the heaviest of coverages, but personally I can't get away with a heavy foundation, so I suppose that it is down to personal preference.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2011 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Amberanson1220

I'm absolutely in LOVE with this product! I have oily/combo skin that is very breakout prone. This foundation stays on all day and my face looks smooth. (like a porcelrrin

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2011 5:10:00 PM More reviews by starberry237

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The sephora recommended this foundation for me b/c i wanted medium coverage. BUT this doesn't offer medium coverage at all. This is more of a light coverage foundation and just has a little more coverage than a tinted moisturizer. i wasn't impressed at the quality as it is only $2 less than the makeupforever hd one. It says oil-free, but it does feel oily on my skin maybe b/c of the spf 15. i don't mind that as my cheeks are dry. i usually apply this with my fingers rather than a brush b/c it offers more coverage. i usually dap this on spots where i need coverage. Wouldn't recommend for people with oily skin. Also, this contains 1 fluid ounce of product and has a pump which i like. Btw, i have been using this for 6 months now daily and only a quarter of the product is gone. As for blemish coverage, it doesn't really help , but it does make it look less red.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2011 5:09:00 PM More reviews by rbyars1

Feels gummy and thick, hard to explain but my face feels coated almost like in a waxy way. Didn't spread evenly and the color fair is very yellow to me. Will not buy again

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 8:07:00 PM More reviews by Spamstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I just had this product applied at the store yesterday, and loved it so much that I bought some. So after about two days of wearing this and the Photo Finish classic, I have zits.

I have sensitive skin with Rosacea, I use Retin-A and Finacea to keep my face clear and to contain redness. These products apparently do not agree with my usage of Bare Minerals Matte foundation any longer, so I went to Sephora to try the Smashbox products. The SA there directed me to the FX foundation and applied it for me, over the Photo Finish primer. This was the first time I've ever, ever had a foundation match so perfectly that you couldn't tell I had anything on. I needed their lightest color to achieve this. It didn't perfectly cover the two red bumps I had from recent acne but a good concealer would have taken care of it. I applied the makeup this morning and we ran around in the heat for several hours; it definitely had some shine going on but I applied the Tarte Smooth Operator powder the SA had suggested I buy, and that really helped. Nomallly I am NOT a liquid foundation girl (too many bad experiences and never a good one) but I'm liking this product.

One thing I learned in a hurry about this product is that a little goes a long way. I used the Smashbox foundation brush to apply it, and made the mistake of putting way too much on my face and it was hard to blend and started to 'pile up'. One pump of foundation would have been plenty for my whole face but since I'm used to drugstore foundations I had used two; ended up having to waste most of the extra. So this does go far for the money if you are using a brush to apply.

I'll edit my review if I find out one way or the other if this foundation is causing my breakouts. Reading from other reviews, I hope it's not this foundation causing my problems.

**EDIT: Switching to Photo Finish Light eliminated the breakout problem!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2011 4:25:00 PM More reviews by makeupalley9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love it!
Makes my face look super soft and its pretty durable! It also matches my skin tone perfectly A bit expensive but well worth it since were talking about a face product

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by aceciul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Somehow disappointed! I really wanted to love this product as much as I love makeup. I heard great thing about it so I bought it without questions. Firstly I thought it was pricey and I liked the bottle, then I used it andÖ
For me I needed more product to get the coverage I like, but it was to yellow so as I overlaid my face looked worst. So I finally apply a thin layer of it and it looked a little dewy in my skin, but I deal with that with setting powder, and even when it was not my favorite look it was wearable.
3 hours later it was a complete mess. My face started to sweat and I started to transfer makeup everywhere, so I had a creepy melting face that felt so oily (I am normal to dry skin). By the night, when I washed my makeup off I had 3 pimples in my nose (in my whole life Iíve had 3 pimples a year at most).
I donít know exactly why it didnít worked for me, but since Iíve heard good things about it I would definitely ask for a prove at smashbox counter so you can stay some hours with it and see what happens.