July 31, 2014 | 1977 users online

Styling Products - TiGi - S-Factor Heat Defender - Flat Iron Shine Spray

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2008 6:24:00 PM More reviews by cloudy888

Whoa! That's what I thought when i used it this morning after my shower. my hair stylist had recommended this to me a few yrs ago but i have been using leave in conditioner for the past 8-10 yrs and i had good healthy long hair with a trim every 4-6 months and it had a natural shine and it was thick so i didnt worry. but i also had long hair at the time. i just got a cut last week ( a very chic bob cut and my hair hasnt been this short in more than 10 yrs) soooooo althouh i always straightened my hair before, it didnt have to be as perfect as it needs to be with this new cut and the day i came from the salon, i had good shiny healthy hair....then i washed and straightened (with tons of leave in conditioner ofcourse because i know that otherwise i would fry my hair pretty fast and it would be visible in short hair) ....so back to the poin... it was not as shiny, or healthy looking! in fact it looked dry and like i had been straightening forever...and it didnt flow and fall in the same way that it did the day i got it cut (go figure right?) soooo, i went to change my str8ner because the first thing was that mine was a 2 inch which was too big for the bangs and my bangs would NOTTT stay in place, they kept going up to the sky or the other side of the head.
So, basically i retraced what my stylist used that day and i knew i needed a new str8ner because mine was too big and also slow. Do i went and asked her which one she had, got a new one that i liked after going thru 2 others before asking her and hating them. anyway, i tried it all again and still dry, non-flowing, all over the place hair....so the only thing left was that she sprayed a heat defender in my hair and i had remembered that another stylist had told me about the s factor one and so i went out looking high and low and finally found it at ulta in another city! i read the reviews which were awesome and compared to the reviews for CHI b/c these were the 2 that ulta sales rep recommended.
So, I tried the s factor this morning. heres what i did after my shower: i air dried a bit (about 75 %) , and i always follow with a leave in conditioner, i used to love the thermasilk spray and then they discontinued and i recently found out that sunsilk's thermashine is the new thermasilk with a diff name! so anyway, i used a bit of sunsilk hydra tlc 24/7 creme which is just a leave in conditioner (bright pink bottle) and rubbed that into the ends of my hair to protect it and make it healthier so it can grow well. Then i sprayed s factor, blow dried and straightened...however i had read too much makes it greasy so i only did 1 spray on each side of the head, one on back, one on each side as i worked my way through each layer of hair. i instantly noticed the shine! looked healthier smoother, and oh so easy to straighten!...anyway, at the end, shine was pretty good, straightening was good. and whats more is i got the same hairstyle, perfect volume, bangs in place and looking well done, i curve the dns of my cut and they staye din place! however, one complain i have is that it made my hair a bit stiff as if i had hair spray in there, and although it made my hair stay in place and keep the style in place, i couldnt run my fingers through my hair without saying "ow" or getting tangled. i am wondering if its the sunsilk creme doing that because too much of that tends to weigh hair down and it did that in my previous experience.
so now the first test is that i am going to wait and see if these results last overnight and if it messes up when i wake up in the morning.
2nd test will be when i party this weekend all night and see how it holds up through a whole 24 hours.
3rd trial will be when i use a bit more of this heat defender (to see if i can do better on the shine and make sure i get all my hair protected) and less or none sunsilk leave in conditioner tlc creme to see where the stiffness is coming from
now for the bad stuff...i actually HATEEE the smell, makes me sick and made me sneeze immediately! thank goodness that the sneezing didnt last once the smell died down.....but it does make my hair smell good..it seems to bring out the smell of my shampoo once i am done styling.
also, the price is tooo much, wish they would have sales, does anyone know if they ever mark these down at all so i can stock up?? and its also hard to find!
lastly, like everyone else mentioned, packaging sucks! and i think i have said all i can think of, i will add or edit once i perform all my tests :)
but all in all, its a good product to have esp. if you heat style your hair a lot b/c i thought leave in conditioner was enough and boy was i wrong after seeing the results in one use!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2008 7:20:00 PM More reviews by virgo92185

I got this product because of all the wonderful reviews here on MakeupAlley. However, this product did not deliver. I did the blow dryer test to see if it really protects against heat. Sadly to say, I could still feel the same amount of heat on the hand without and product on it as I could on the hand saturated in this product. So, since this product does not do what it advertised to do, it gets the least amount of lippies.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2008 12:51:00 PM More reviews by monicadavis

I have slightly frizzy hair, it's not thick nor is it thin. I can't say I LOVE this product but I can say I LIKE IT A LOT and refuse to take it back to the store. I sprayed a bit on my hair (damp) then a bit more after the flat ironing (sprayed on my hands and brushed over the ends of my hair ). This product made my hair look glossy not greasy, it felt lightweight, smooth and silky. I sprayed it on my hand, then on one side of my husband's (buzzed) hair, it went from dull to "glossy" as soon as it was applied. It made a difference! It last a while long too, 6-8 hours. I've tried Redken Smooth Down, it's too greasy and heavy for me. Biosilk, it wears out quickly. I have used Matrix Sleek Look Serum, which I like very much. This S Factor is a good product, cost is a bit much but it's a very good product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2008 10:32:00 PM More reviews by patsgirl321

Ok, so i've had this product for like 5 minutes and the cap already cracked - what's with this S factor line and crap packaging??? anyways, I dont care if the outer cap shatters completely, this stuff is AMAZING - used for the first time before and signed on to MUA rightway to post my review - i sprayed a few sprays on to my damp chin length hair, and then put a little bit of BTZ frizz zapper on the ends, and proceeded to blow dry... oh my god, my hair looks like a mirror... so damn shiney - and my hair feels 'heavy' - i had dry frizzy ends, that never laid straight, kind of curled up - this makes the ends feel heavier, its a good heavier, and moves like NORMAL hair does. You cannot tell at all i have curly hair at all... I figured if i sprayed this on my hair once it was all flat ironed it would be greasy, do i dont know how this would work on dry hair, but once i try that technique ill update my post..... cant complain about the Price, i get a hairdressers discount... so mine was like $15 - but would i spend $30 on it??? In a new york minute...........

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2008 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Libertyne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i actually bought this product out of sheer desperation. i had bought so many heat protectant products in the past that either worked well but smelled awful or didn't work and smelled great but nothing that smelled nice & worked, that was until i found this product. this stuff smells so nice and protects my hair so well that i actually enjoy and even look forward to using it. i even spray it on on while my hair is damp before i blow dry. i absolutely love this and think that this is well worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 4:12:00 AM More reviews by strawbit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wasn't expecting much, but delivered so well, I ended up in love. I don't really use this as a heat defender, but as a smoothing, softening hair spray. I am amazed by how it is able to diffuse frizz, add shine, provide softness, and smell great! Love it, love it, love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2008 1:24:00 AM More reviews by Jaynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Wow - I think I love this product. I've only had it for a day, but so far it's love at first try. First off, way back when I really didn't know that you should use a heat protectant product before flat ironing...I know - where the heck have I been? Of course I use smoothing serums but usually after I've ironed - and I have some smoothing hot iron spray (Matrix) but I don't use it much. And I use a leave-in conditioner, so I just didn't think I was missing anything. I've been getting my hair cut in a new style these last few months and it gives me a chance to use my iron a lot. However lately I've noticed such drying!! (see pix of new cut - and today after using Heat Defender). And frizzies - I've lost the battle with them no matter what I use! As I'd walk, my hair would bounce in fluffy dry pieces instead of smoothly swinging along. If I tried to run my fingers through (to tuck or sweep my bangs aside) I could feel little hairs breaking and then it would just flop back. This was beginning to bum me out. I read about this Heat Defender and had to phone around a lot of salons to find it. I paid $30 for it, but you get a generous amount (about 4.25 oz I think). Oh, yes, the packaging sucks - it's just cheap and crappy, all form, no function. This has been my beef with other TiGi S-Factor items, like the Lusterizer (or whatever it's called which sits at the bottom of my product basket) - it's shaped like Gumby and barely stands on end - it's just dumb (plus I'm not wowed by the product either like others are - I have a review on it). Anyway, back to this little beauty - this product and now me! When I got home I sprayed some in my hands and applied it to my dry hair. I kept adding a wee bit more, and more until my hair was GLOSSY, and SHINY and had BODY and movement - no puffiness and total reduction of frizz.....ahhhhh. This morning I simply rinsed my hair with warm water and I noticed it felt very silky. This time I sprayed about three short bursts at the middle of my wet hair, combed it through and just blow dried - OMG I love it. I don't have to flat iron (this is what helped me discover the product to begin with - I wanted to use either an appliance or a product that would eliminate my growing need to use my flat iron every day or look like a frizz ball). My hair came out glossy and swingy and no dry ends or floating pieces - and it's so soft and shiny - I swear, it looks like I took about 10 years off my hair (I mean you should have seen it before). In the picture you can still see some frizzy bits - this is at the end of the day and b/f Heat Defender it was all over like that. I think this will improve my hair over time. So no need to whip out the iron if I dont have time. LOVE IT!!!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2008 10:26:00 PM More reviews by hooplehead

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have fairly fine hair, and this product weighed it down terribly. It was difficult to gauge how much to use, as you want to use enough to prevent damage, but too much makes your hair greasy fast. It did impart a noticeable shine. I did not care for the strong melon fragrance, but some people might not mind it as much. It was a disappointment, as I love the S-Factor line otherwise. But for such a hefty price tag, I'd like better results. I think I will give this product a pass and stick with CHI's Silk Infusion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2008 12:22:00 PM More reviews by lueta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

As good as a straightening serum gets. I try not to burn my hair too frequently, because dry and split ends are a fast and very obvious result. But, whenever I do iron them, I always use this and get lots of compliments, because, firstly, even a slight change of style attracts positive attention, and secondly, my hair gets so sleek and chick and they shine like mad. I donít recommend using it on dry hair right before ironing Ė tried it with ugly results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2008 11:04:00 AM More reviews by Anitag

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Flaming heck! This stuff's brillient. I have very damaged processed hair, however I still like to iron the ends. Well this makes your hair come out like you've had it done at a salon. I got it based on the great reviews on MUA, trust me I was not dissapointed. This is quite expensive and I don't know if there's a similar product on the market that's cheaper, but I woud definitely repurchase. Do not use on your roots otherwise your hair will end up greasy (unless you wash it everday).