Paula's Choice Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion

3.4

Not tested on animals

Water, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (skin-conditioning agent), Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone/skin-conditioning agent), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Dimethicone (silicone/skin-conditioning agent), Propylene Glycol Isoceteth-3 Acetate (water-binding agent), Squalane (emollient), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2 (gel-based thickener), Potassium Cetyl Phosphate (emulsifier), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (thickeners), Cholesterol (skin-conditioning agent), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritant), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract (antioxidants), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (suspending agent), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Sodium PCA, Phytosphingosine (water-binding agents), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (thickener), Cetyl Alcohol (emollient), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Laureth-23 (solubolizing agent), Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, Sorbic Acid (preservatives).

on 11/30/2008 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using PC products off and on for years now, and it seems that recently, my skin has really started to respond positively. I suppose that now that I'm older, effective products and ineffective ones become more apparent since I now actually need products to fix my aging skin! But I digress.

I bought this because I wanted something to use at night on areas where I don't use the BHA lotion (which for me also doubles as a moisturizer), such as around my eyes. When I first started to use it, it did seem a little watery and perhaps a little separated, but shaking up the pump bottle before use solves this problem. It is thin in consistency and doesn't seem like it would do much, but for me and my oily skin, it's just right. It sinks right in and moisturizes much more than I expected. Other moisturizers that I've tried with as light of a consistency as this just aren't as effective as Hydralight. I use this over the super balancing antioxidant, and its perfect I am guessing that other people with blessed with less oily skin than I might need more than this, though.

I like the practical, sanitary pump packaging which meters out just the right amount of product for me. It's not fancy, but it gets the job done, so that's as much as I ask for. Price is USD 18.95 for 2 oz, which I think is very reasonable. Yes, I'd rebuy. Although I've been buying PC products for years, I've always cheated but come back. This time, i think I may just have to stick with this line. For the price/performance, I think its hard to beat.

on 11/11/2008 10:48:00 AM

I've been reading PB product reccomendations for years and thought i should try out her products. i'm in the UK so I order from the Europe site..I use and love the Balancing Cleanser and Antioxidants for all skin types. Hydralight isn't quite mositurizing as i had hoped for me. it does soak into my skin nicely but my skin still feels like it needs a 'drink' in this UK Autum/Winter weather. i'm not going to throw this away as i'm sure it will work perfectly in the summer, I will however order the Hydrating Cream and see whether that provides enough mositure. overall i am always very happy with Paula's products. i like the no fuss packaging - i'm well over the the days of having to have products that looked 'pretty' in my bedroom & bathroom.

on 9/19/2008 8:52:00 PM

Surprisingly effective for such a light lotion. Smell doesn't bother me. ETA Sorbic acid not good for rosacea, causes blotches?

on 8/19/2008 12:21:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

!!! i love this stuff. makes my skin so soft and smooth. lots of great, completely non-greasy moisture. i pair this up with one of paula's super antioxidant concentrates, and i'm usually good to go for the day.

re: the smell of the stuff - it's pretty strong when you put it on, but i find that the smell goes away rather quickly. i can't smell it at all once it has dried. way better than many moisturizers i have used. will definitely repurchase.

on 7/9/2008 1:23:00 AM

the product works ok. it takes a little wait to sink into your skin though but OMG the smell is horrible. It smells like spoiled milk. I would definitely not use this again - my dh and son won't want to go near me.

on 6/7/2008 1:35:00 PM

I really love this product in combitnation with a 2% BHA...however it makes me cringe just to think of the smell. I was reading the reviews here- so i was prepared for it to smell 'funky' ...but this smells like salt & vingar chips or just vinegar..it's sooo strong and long lasting. Seriously i'm willing to pay the price of beauty- but i want a product that i'm looking forward to using not one that makes me *almost* gag.
Maybe i'm too sensitive, but i can smell it for about 30-45 minutes even when i just apply this around my eyes....The only solution i found is to apply it and then use my parfume ( not on my face LOL) right after this step, which is normally the last thing i do in the mornings .and it's not very practical at night ( luckly i use something else at night) ...my BH claims he cannot smell it - so maybe it's just me ;(
EDIT: FOUND THE PERFECT solution for the stink - light a scented candle/oil burner before you shower , once your ready to do skincare relax by the candle/oilburner and inhale before you start with this little stinky poo darling lotion =) LOL

on 6/2/2008 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just bought a second bottle of this moisturizer. I like using this moisturizer in the summer under my sunscreen. It doesn't make my face look shiny at the end of the day. I like that it's light, absorbs quickly and have plenty of antioxidants. I let it absorb into my face for several minutes, then put on my physical sunscreen (Solar Sense Clear Zinc, Advanced Sun Protection, For Face SPF 45).

on 4/30/2008 10:09:00 PM

generally this is a pretty nice moisturiser, although it is true to its name and is VERY light.
i dont have dry skin at all, tend to lean towards combination which can get oily in parts.
when applied, i feel as though i have literally done nothing to my face and actually i find i tend to actually get dry which is really strange.
one plus, i dont break out with this, but i think i need something a little more moisturising.
oh and the full size of this is TINY TINY TINY !! not worth the $$$$$
back to the drawing board !!!

on 4/19/2008 9:01:00 PM

So far I've only used a sample of this, but I'm planning to order a full-size soon. Have to agree with others here that the smell is, uh, unusual and rather strong, but it does fade after a few minutes (or maybe I get used to it). Bottom line is it seems to be just enough moisture without breaking me out, which is significant for me. I also tried a sample of the skin balancing moisture gel, which had no odor and felt fabulous going on. But I woke up to annoying little whiteheads around my mouth and I suspect it was the culprit. So I'm going to risk the odd smell and go with this.

on 4/18/2008 12:22:00 PM

I tried it only from a sample and it a very weird texture. I'm not sure how it is in the full size bottle, but in the sample it broke down and separated into a clear liquid and slimy white water stuff. I applied it to my face and it seemed very greasy and didn't absorb quite as fast as a lotion should, and it left my face shiny. Very strange since this is a lotion and both, the hydrating cream and the skin recovery cream, left my face quite matte and were easily absorbed. I don't know if I got a bad sample but this one was sure bad and if the lotion is really like that, there is no way I will purchase a full size.
UPDATE: I bumped it up to 5 lippies because I got a second sample and it was nothing like the first one. I guess the first one was defected. The second sample had no separation, had nice white solution that easily absorbed and left my skin silky smooth. Quite moisturizing and paired with PC cleanser for normal to dry skin makes a perfect combination. My skin is usually dehydrated, but this combo makes it very soft and moisturized. I was considering purchasing the hydrating cream, but I think as summer approaches, this lotion is all I need. Can't comment on the packaging quality since I only tried samples. Although it does look quite weird on the website. I wish it came in a tube.
One thing though: it has a very chemical scent, more so then the usual "unscented" version.

Popular Moisturizers