November 26, 2014 | 1001 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford Black Orchid

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2009 9:18:00 PM More reviews by MonicaRockvilleMD

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Recently, I had undergone some major changes and re-invented myself. I changed my makeup, hairstyle, liked different books, movies, activities -- my politics even changed! I also noticed that I was no longer interested in any of the floral-oriental perfumes that I had collected over the years. I needed something different, something that reflected a new, bold, sophistication that I had started to feel deep from within.

I spent an entire weekend at two different local sephoras plus the cosmetics counter at Nordstrom, trying on many perfumes with a spicy, woody scent. I considered Poison, Coco Chanel, Dior Addict, DK Delicious, and CK Secret Obsession. Bvlgari Jasmin Noir came close but nothing quite did it for me ... until I found this most unusual fragrance.

It knocks your socks off with it's dark, alluring, complex, mysterious intensity for about 30 minutes, then it softens to something still bold, still unique and still strong, yet unmistakably, undeniably feminine. This describes exactly how I feel about myself and this perfume personifies exactly who I am. The fragrance stays on the body for hours. Since I wear it all the time I don't mind that my clothes already smell like it. This just means I use less. I will not leave home without wearing any and I might as well toss the rest of my perfumes because although they are very high-quality, none of them really suit my personality anymore, as if I've outgrown them.

Tom Ford is a young olfactory genius who understands strong, independent and complex people and I hope he never, ever stops creating fragrances.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2009 5:52:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This fragrance gets better the longer it's been on my skin. The first 30 minutes Black Orchid smells weird (the Black Truffle accord maybe?). Then then the weirdness goes away and you're left with a fruity, pungent oriental scent. The drydown is vanilla with some cucumber. Definitely an interesting fragrance with lots of change from top note to drydown. My DH loves this. Will be purchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2009 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Kit20

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sprayed this with trepidation as I knew it was liable to be out of my usual comfort zone. It begins very chocolatey/vanilla with echoes of Flowerbomb & Angel. I had just decided it was probably a scrubber when the drydown hit. This is absolutley beautiful. The vanilla softens and a woodiness appears to come through with strong coconut. I got so many compliments that day I went and bought a bottle. So to conclude, do not be put off by the initial gourmande feel of this fragrance - wait ten minutes, and you might love it

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2009 2:51:00 PM More reviews by BigglyBoo

This is a review not for the original, but for a site I found you might enjoy trying out. It's called www.wholesalebodyoils.com.
I ordered a dupe of this along with about 8 other perfumes. So far I have to say Im *very* happy with the staying power and scent of these roll ons.
I got the dupe of Amber Romance, Black Orchid, Very Sexy, Unforgivable, Flowerbomb, Covet and some other elses:)
Really happy with the ones I have tried out so far, and the price for sampling cannot be beat. If you want the *real* deal but don't want to spent a fortune buying a perfume you ultimately don't really wear much, this is a great alternative. I figure I'm going to work my way down their list, which should take me ages:) Then, if you decide the perfume is for you, you can always spring for the expensive real-name brand if you want. So far of the ones I have tested (I own the originals) neither my husband nor I can tell the diff when I put this on one wrist and the real one on the other, and my husband has a great sense of smell. Now I don't own all of the above scents, but I have 3 of them. I ordered some of the scents I already own so I could see how this version compared to the original *on my body and over time*. For 1/3 oz roll on for $1.49 I cannot really believe how well-made these are. The only dupes I've ever smelled/tried were in the drugstores etc. and they were ghastly - nothing like the originals to me and stung my nose.
Give these a try - I got 8 for 20.62 (which includes super fast shipping and they were packed well enough that they all got to me safely.
The roll ons are not a gorgeous bottle to keep out on your dresser/vanity, but I don't care about that one bit - I'm after the usable scent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2009 8:30:00 PM More reviews by essija

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Luxurious for sure is what you get with Black Orchid. Sweet Black currant and insense, this is to dye for. You must try this, I love it.. Warm and Creamy on my skin. I get so many compliments from both men and women
I will buy this over and over.. MY HG now!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2009 9:10:00 PM More reviews by kris4life4

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this, but am not yet sure that I like it enough to buy it. It's very deep & spicy/smoky on me...it actually smells like men's cologne on me! That's why I'm not sure about it...not sure I want to smell like a guy.
Good lasting power though...I only used one spray from my little sample vial (about 8 hours ago) and I can still smell it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2009 10:56:00 AM More reviews by woowoograce

Harsh, spicy and earthy at first, then the overripe plums come out and flirt with just a touch of weird floral. The plums are not the "fresh & fruity" sort of thing one might expect. It's like summertime when there are so many plums available that one inevitably goes a bit soft on your counter. So when you reach for it, the skin is velvety soft and the flesh gives just a little too much. Your plum feels uncomfortably like human flesh. It's hot and you've punctured the skin and juice leaks onto the counter and the fruit flies are going to have a field day.

On the dry down Black Orchid is a dirty, spicy gourmand. There is some vanilla in there, which I often dislike, but it is vanilla that has been very, very bad, so I like it. The overall effect is delightfully raunchy.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2009 10:14:00 PM More reviews by SKYYStheLimit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I tried this perfume out of curiousity. I heard it was quite nasty, but I was still curious. I went to Sephora & decided to try it out. I sprayed it and the Black Orchid Voile de Fleur on each wrist and sniffed. They were both admittedly vile, and I was disappointed. So I went on my merry way, after spraying a little makeup remover on my wrists to try to get rid of the stench. I checked out a few more stores, and then as I got into my car a wonderful little breeze of a scent hit me. I wasn't sure where it was coming from, so I just kind of pushed the thought out of my mind. Then my friend also commented on 'what smelled so good?' I hadn't even really thought about the fact that my wrist must still smell like black orchid(s). But at some point during the ride, I must have gotten my hand near my face enough to realize that's where the scent was coming from. Needless to say, we both marvelled about how good the perfume smelled on me. So I decided to go back and use a gift cert to buy it the Black Orchid. I was hoping and praying it was the Black Orchid and not the Black Orchid Voile de Fleur that I wanted, because I couldnt really be sure as they didn't have the Voile de Fleur tester out when I went back. So, I went for it and bought the Black Orchid. I sprayed a tiny bit on, and was repelled immediately. I must have bought the wrong one... damn! Then, within 30 minutes, I realized it was the RIGHT one, and I couldn't stop sniffing myself. Damn this perfume has a wicked dry down! Really, its my new signature scent. I've had a few friends tell me I smell good, and I just smile. From now on, I'm not telling anyone what I am wearing... my friends have a habit of asking me what perfume I'm wearing and then buying the same fragrance. So when we go out we smell like a troupe of french whores. This is MY scent, get your own!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2009 12:33:00 AM More reviews by TahneeT

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Weird. Distinctive. Not for everyone. Get compliments when wearing which surprises me because I'm not sure I even like it. It has a sharpness to it that reminds me of Fendi or Picasso. Until it wears down, it's as if there's only scent that comes screaming through. After it wears down I smell pipe tobacco. I'm so on the fence with this is one I cannot say if I'd buy it again... I think I could find another fragrance I could pinpoint better.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2009 5:34:00 AM More reviews by May_Bee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Stomach-churningly vile. I sprayed this on with caution but was still forced to sit in the back of the car on the way home, with two windows open (it is February). I can't even blame my boyfriend for his lack of compassion, because the smell actually made my friend's baby cry, and he is not fussy when it comes to odours. Pure evil. Toxic.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No