July 28, 2014 | 1256 users online

Cleansers - Aura Cacia - Grapeseed Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2008 11:04:00 PM More reviews by AlisonPJ

I am reviewing grapeseed oil itself, not this particular brand. After learning about the oil precleanse method on MUA, I went to Whole Foods in pursuit of jojoba oil, but I ended up with grapeseed oil instead because it was so much less expensive. I have been using it to remove makeup and sunscreen for about a month now. The first time I tried it, I was kind of alarmed by the sensation of rubbing oil all over my face. It seemed all wrong at first, but now I actually like it. It is fantastic for removing eye makeup. Mascara and liner come off easily without smearing all over my cheeks. It hasn't affected the condition of my skin at all (no impact on my mild acne), but I am satisfied with it simply as an agent to get everything off my face at the end of the day. I follow up with Purpose cleanser to rinse clean.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2008 3:22:00 AM More reviews by sesajones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is specifically for the AuraCacia brand of Grapeseed oil, with vitamin E.
I bought this oil to use as an oil cleanser, after having been using jojoba oil for a while. The AuraCacia grapeseed was particularly smoothing and absorbed more readily into my skin than the jojoba, and the addition of vitamin E hasn't bothered my skin (and I think it's helping it). The product has a neutral odor, and has a flip cap top with a odd rubber cover over the opening in the plastic top. The rubber has a smaller hole in it, and the product comes through that. I imagine this is to keep the oil from being contaminated by your hands or by being open in general, so it does seem to be a more sanitary system. The only problem is that it's a little difficult to get a drop of oil, because you have to squeeze the bottle to get enough pressure to push the oil through the rubber, and so you get the oil in a squirt and a stream instead of drop by drop. For oil cleansing, that's not a problem, because it squeezes out just the right amount, but if you wanted to use a few drops just for moisturizing, I'd suggest getting a second bottle to keep it in.
EDIT: After trying it for 10 days, it was clear my skin wasn't happy with this stuff. I tried the grapeseed because the jojoba was too drying and I thought the E added to this oil would help with that, but it ended up leaving a lot of little surface whiteheads and pimples, even after the period of time when it should have purged and cleared if it was going to do that. I've gone back to jojoba, mixing it with olive oil so it would be less drying; the skin's much happier now. But oils are very "your-mileage-may-vary", and grapeseed did feel nice going on, so it's worth trying it as you search for the oil that works for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2008 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Crabtwix

I am using GrapeOla brand grapeseed oil... I have just recently discovered the Oil Cleansing Method after years and years of horrible acne and unbalanced skin... dermatologists, thousands spent and never feeling great about my skin.

My method - To remove eye makeup - I put a little oil into a cotton pad and rub the makeup off... this removes every kind of waterproof makeup with little fuss. Then I put oil in my palm,(about a quartersized amount) and rub my hands together (clean hands!) and start rubbing my dry face I'll rub and smooth the oil in for several seconds - to the point where I am giving myself a mini-facial. After it starts to feel like the oil is getting absorbed, I use a wash cloth with as hot water as I can stand, mostly rung out, and place that over my face to steam. As soon as the cloth cools (this takes seconds), I'll do it again, then after that, I very gently use the freshly rinsed out cloth to wipe away any residual oil. That is it. No cleanser. No soap. No moisturizer. Then, in the morning, I just rinse my face with water in the shower. The lines on my forehead (I am 35) have already nearly disappeared. My skin has never, ever felt better. I have had some very minor pimples pop up -- I think more of individual pores finally getting really clean. Once whatever is in the little spots is pressed out, they heal up by the next day. It's pretty remarkable.

I highly recommend it! OH - and I only do the steaming about every third day... otherwise it's actually too harsh.

If you have a lot of acne, you may want to add a little caster oil (a VERY LITTLE) or a drop of tea tree oil (in a 4 oz bottle of oil, literally one or two drops) - this will help disinfect your skin, and break the cycle. These oils get down into the pores and pull the dirt and oil out to the surface to be wiped away.

It's genius.

OH - and I've used coconut oil as well --- it really absorbs into the skin, but my skin was actually a little too dry (when I used to be a grease-rag!)....

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2008 7:04:00 PM More reviews by Bridgetr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use the Homestead brand of grapeseed as a precleanse and have better results than with jojoba. It leaves my skin softer and it spreads easier. As a bonus, it is also much cheaper. A wonderful discovery thanks to MUA users!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2007 11:51:00 AM More reviews by jamesie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for the NOW brand of grapeseed oil. I bought this at a health food store for $7 for a large bottle. I use it as a pre-cleanser to remove sunscreen, as well as a body moisturizer.

I've been using this for about two weeks now, and no breakouts so far. Here's how I use it as a pre-cleanser:
I massage about a dime-size onto my face, making sure to rub my eyelashes. During this process, the oil tends to exfoliate away most of my flakes. Then, I wet my hands and "lather" up my facial cleanser (it doesn't really lather), and massage my face with that.
Finally, I rinse everything off. My face is left smooth and soft.

I was previously using Fancl's mild oil cleanser (for about 3 months), which didn't do much for my skin, and the jojoba oils actually clogged me. Grapeseed oil, however, has improved the condition of my skin in the past 2 weeks, and has faded some old acne marks. My skin as a "glow" to it now.

This has worked very well for me so far, no breakouts and clogged pores yet. I recycled an old Fancl pump bottle so it's very easy to use.
On it's own, this doesn't work wonders on my dry skin as a body moisturizer. I prefer Shea butter for that. However, for oily skin types, this would make a wonderful moisturizer. I also have mixed it with Shea butter with great results.

As with any oil, you will have to experiment to see what works best for you. Will update as I continue using this.

***Edited 12.2011*** I've been using grapeseed oil for a few years as a homemade cleansing oil. I purchase the cold-pressed chardonnay oil from gardenofwisdom.com, and use 90% oil and 10% cromollient SCE by weight (also from gow.com) to emulsify. I love how this cleansing oil removes all my makeup and even the Japanese sunscreen, but leaves some moisture in my skin.

my technique: I apply to dry skin, massage, add a bit of water to my hands, massage again, then use a cheap washcloth from the dollar store that I've run under hot water to wipe the day off! It's really a pampering treat.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2007 8:04:00 AM More reviews by stargazer_lily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

NOTE! I'm not reviewing this brand - only grapeseed oil itself. I use Azalea brand (made in Italy). I use this as a pre-cleanser every night , and I follow with a gentle hand-made soap and a washcloth. My skin has never looked better. For reference, my skin has the following issues: a) oily t-zone b) acne-prone c) nose blackheads d) flaking/dehydration in oily t-zone e) very mild rosacea. It has assisted with the flakiness, reduced the appearance of blackheads, not interfered with or caused acne, and finally, has contributed to improved skin tone and appearance. If such a simple product can do this for my fickle skin, what will it do for yours?! I store my oil in a small air-pump that I picked up in the travel section of my local Priceline (Australian drugstore). I squirt about 4 or 5 drops out and massage really thoroughly into my dry face. It MELTS makeup away and if you're lucky, will also lift any flakies off. I then lather up my soap and apply to take away the oil and my skin is left soft, smooth and comfortable. I highly recommend you try this if your skin is anything like mine.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2007 12:07:00 PM More reviews by eam531

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm reviewing this as a moisturizer, not a cleanser.

Well, I may have found my HG moisturizer. I read about using grapeseed oil as a facial moisturizer on a health forum. I got some 2 weeks ago, have been using it every day, and I just LOVE it. It's very light, it has no scent, I only need to use a little, it absorbs quickly and makes my skin glow in a pretty way. I use about 4 drops on my face. My little bottle will last a very long time, at this rate--I paid 4 bucks for it!

I don't have super-dry or super-oily skin, so the weight and texture of the oil is fine for me. I have mild rosacea and the oil doesn't hurt my skin at all. The person who wrote about grapeseed oil on the health forum says that it is chockfull of anti-oxidants--another benefit.

Highly recommended product!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2007 8:35:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

this reveiw isn't specifically for Aura Cacia's grapeseed oil (though I have seen it in stores); I bought my grapeseed oil online from quinessence.com. I got the 50 mL size for 3.30 GBP, which works out to about $7 Canadian, INCLUDING shipping! It arrvied at my house in about a week, which is awesome.

Packaging: mine arrived in an amber plastic bottle; no, not glass. The bottle has a white plastic screw in cap, with no dropper top, I had an empty 10 mL green glass bottle with a dropper top and child-safety cap from Tea Tree Oil I bought from The Body Shop a few years ago; I carefully poured some of the grapeseed oil in there, and so now I've got a proper dispenser for it.

Performance: I have combo/oily skin most days of the year, and I was looking for a simple moisturizer that would moisturize my skin lightly without feeling heavy, or the need for large bulky bottles. I use 3-4 drops of this on my face and it absorbs SO quickly without leaving a trace of oiliness or stickiness on the face. I love that! Grapeseed oil is known to have a slightly astringent effect on skins, and it is a lighter oil (carrier oil) so it's best suited for oilier skins. Drier skins would probably benefit from jojoba oil more. For me, it's perfect to use all over my face, even around my sensitive eyes, without any irritation. It doesn't have a smell either, which is nice.

I can't testify to its non-comedogenicity yet, since I've only received this today, but I will update! continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2007 5:52:00 PM More reviews by caitlinv

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am on the fence about this product. About three months ago I became absolutely desperate about the state of my skin (acne, dry) and I rushed to my local health food store and picked up this and the jojoba oil. I used them both after cleansing for about a month and a half, and at first I was very excited about the state of my skin. It was becoming clear, even, and healthy. But eventually, I broke out more badly then I ever have. And in new places on my face, too. But, desperate for these two products to work, I convinced myself it was just my skin purging. Eventually I consented the oils were the culprit, and I quit using them on my face. I am now on a regemin (sp?) from Kiehls and my skin is improving slowly but surely. However, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, and vitamin e make a wonderful hot oil treatment for your hair, and are equally nice body moisturizers. So, I will repurchase for those purposes, but acne-prones, be wary of oils on your face!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2007 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Scarlett_Canada

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This caused me to break out with whiteheads. I do not recommend this if you have oily or combination skin.