Aura Cacia Grapeseed Oil

4.3

Grape Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate

on 6/30/2008 2:43:00 AM

This review is for the Whole Foods brand grapeseed oil.

I recently started using Shiseido sunscreen, and learned that one must either use a cleansing oil or pre-cleanse with oil to get that stuff off. Well, I had a couple bottles of oil around for when I get the urge to play with aromatherapy, grapeseed and apricot kernel. I chose grapeseed as my pre-cleanse since it's lighter and has natural antioxidants.

Rubbing oil onto your face definitely feels weird. Grapeseed oil has a distinct nutty scent that I find very comforting, but I suggest you sniff before you buy. Scents are a very personal preference. Not only does it get my Shiseido off, this stuff melts off even stubborn makeup and doesn't irritate my contact-wearing eyes at all! Hasn't broken me out yet, and there's just enough left after using my foaming cleanser to make my face feel soft and moisturized. I haven't noticed any drying effect, but then my skin is quite oily to begin with.

on 5/28/2008 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Grapeseed oil acts like a toner plus light moisturizer for combo-oily skin which is why some below have experienced drying effects. I have been using this for two weeks already and my skin seems to have no negative effects. I have yet to see any breakouts. The only problem is the packaging. I think I need to get a dropper to pick up the perfect amount of oil. Other than that, it has a very light smell and I use this at night so that it has time to absorb until morning.

on 2/27/2008 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I am very careful about my reviews because I don't like sending out wrong informations. So, I try not write any reviews until I have been using the products at least for few weeks. I honest gave this product 5 stars because it saved my very very dry skin. Before I use this product, I have the very very dry skin. I wash my face twice by the most gentle cleanser following tons of moistures designed for dry skin. But still, it was not enough. My skin was still tight, dry and itchy. Nothing seems work on me. Then I discovered this oil on drugstore.com and decided to buy because the positive reviews. And I am so glad that I did. I use it on my damp face right after washing it. (Persoanlly, I find it works better when you apply it as the first layer of your skin care rountin rather than the last layer.) At first, it is a little greasy. Then it got absorbed into my skin and suddenly my skin is beaming with radiant that I couldn't have for years. People with true dry skin know what I am talking about. After applying this oil, I also apply alpha hydroxy acid gel, serum and sunscreen. Everything after applying the oil seems working 10 times better than before. Now I don't have itchy and tight skin anymore. Sometimes when I look at face, I even find a little oil on my face, which I love. Plus, I love the fact that I am getting more antioxidnet from this oil.
This oil is very cheap and you only need to use a little. So, try it if you are battling with dry skin.
By the way, this is not a cleanser. I don't know why it shows under the cleanser category.

on 2/13/2008 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This review is for food grade organic cold-pressed grapeseed oil.At first I thought I had scooped up a great way to get more antioxidants into my skincare. I tried this as a precleanse followed by Cetaphil and also as a pre-moisturizer serum around my eyes, on my neck, and on stretch marks. After 3 weeks of use, I discovered it had virtually zero effect on stretch marks, and that it was actually drying my skin out. Currently I am using a few drops every morning as a moisture shield for my face in the shower. I rub a few drops in damp palms and press it lightly to my face before I get in the shower. I find the oil helps to protect my face from the hot water in the shower which can be very drying and irritating. Aside from this, I don't know what else to do with the grapeseed oil. It's just too drying to leave on my face all day, after my skin soaks up the initial oil it just feels dry!I really really wanted to like grapeseed oil, it's used in so many skincare products and praised for its antioxidant and anti-aging qualities. *sigh* back to EVOO I go. continued >>

on 2/9/2008 3:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

NOTE: I am reviewing grapeseed oil in general not this brand.

I am amazed by this stuff its FAB! Sinks in really quick and is just so nice on the skin. I was hooked on oils when i tried DHC Virgin olive oil but found after a while it was a bit too rich for my skin. So, i looked through all your lovely reviews and I sent for some Grapeseed, hazelnut and sweet almond oils. I do love this one but i bought the others as back ups in case I started to react.

I would give it a shot if you are unsure, even though you may think its a bit scary. My skin is prone to oilyness and spots in my T-Zone and It seems to be ok so far. I will update later if it begins to go bad though!
UPDATE: Have since found that Rosehip oil is much better for me so only use grapeseed as a base for my essential oil creations.

on 1/26/2008 11:04:00 PM

I am reviewing grapeseed oil itself, not this particular brand. After learning about the oil precleanse method on MUA, I went to Whole Foods in pursuit of jojoba oil, but I ended up with grapeseed oil instead because it was so much less expensive. I have been using it to remove makeup and sunscreen for about a month now. The first time I tried it, I was kind of alarmed by the sensation of rubbing oil all over my face. It seemed all wrong at first, but now I actually like it. It is fantastic for removing eye makeup. Mascara and liner come off easily without smearing all over my cheeks. It hasn't affected the condition of my skin at all (no impact on my mild acne), but I am satisfied with it simply as an agent to get everything off my face at the end of the day. I follow up with Purpose cleanser to rinse clean.

on 1/23/2008 3:22:00 AM

This review is specifically for the AuraCacia brand of Grapeseed oil, with vitamin E.
I bought this oil to use as an oil cleanser, after having been using jojoba oil for a while. The AuraCacia grapeseed was particularly smoothing and absorbed more readily into my skin than the jojoba, and the addition of vitamin E hasn't bothered my skin (and I think it's helping it). The product has a neutral odor, and has a flip cap top with a odd rubber cover over the opening in the plastic top. The rubber has a smaller hole in it, and the product comes through that. I imagine this is to keep the oil from being contaminated by your hands or by being open in general, so it does seem to be a more sanitary system. The only problem is that it's a little difficult to get a drop of oil, because you have to squeeze the bottle to get enough pressure to push the oil through the rubber, and so you get the oil in a squirt and a stream instead of drop by drop. For oil cleansing, that's not a problem, because it squeezes out just the right amount, but if you wanted to use a few drops just for moisturizing, I'd suggest getting a second bottle to keep it in.
EDIT: After trying it for 10 days, it was clear my skin wasn't happy with this stuff. I tried the grapeseed because the jojoba was too drying and I thought the E added to this oil would help with that, but it ended up leaving a lot of little surface whiteheads and pimples, even after the period of time when it should have purged and cleared if it was going to do that. I've gone back to jojoba, mixing it with olive oil so it would be less drying; the skin's much happier now. But oils are very "your-mileage-may-vary", and grapeseed did feel nice going on, so it's worth trying it as you search for the oil that works for you.

on 1/20/2008 3:44:00 PM

I am using GrapeOla brand grapeseed oil... I have just recently discovered the Oil Cleansing Method after years and years of horrible acne and unbalanced skin... dermatologists, thousands spent and never feeling great about my skin.

My method - To remove eye makeup - I put a little oil into a cotton pad and rub the makeup off... this removes every kind of waterproof makeup with little fuss. Then I put oil in my palm,(about a quartersized amount) and rub my hands together (clean hands!) and start rubbing my dry face I'll rub and smooth the oil in for several seconds - to the point where I am giving myself a mini-facial. After it starts to feel like the oil is getting absorbed, I use a wash cloth with as hot water as I can stand, mostly rung out, and place that over my face to steam. As soon as the cloth cools (this takes seconds), I'll do it again, then after that, I very gently use the freshly rinsed out cloth to wipe away any residual oil. That is it. No cleanser. No soap. No moisturizer. Then, in the morning, I just rinse my face with water in the shower. The lines on my forehead (I am 35) have already nearly disappeared. My skin has never, ever felt better. I have had some very minor pimples pop up -- I think more of individual pores finally getting really clean. Once whatever is in the little spots is pressed out, they heal up by the next day. It's pretty remarkable.

I highly recommend it! OH - and I only do the steaming about every third day... otherwise it's actually too harsh.

If you have a lot of acne, you may want to add a little caster oil (a VERY LITTLE) or a drop of tea tree oil (in a 4 oz bottle of oil, literally one or two drops) - this will help disinfect your skin, and break the cycle. These oils get down into the pores and pull the dirt and oil out to the surface to be wiped away.

It's genius.

OH - and I've used coconut oil as well --- it really absorbs into the skin, but my skin was actually a little too dry (when I used to be a grease-rag!)....

on 1/19/2008 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use the Homestead brand of grapeseed as a precleanse and have better results than with jojoba. It leaves my skin softer and it spreads easier. As a bonus, it is also much cheaper. A wonderful discovery thanks to MUA users!

on 11/23/2007 11:51:00 AM

This review is for the NOW brand of grapeseed oil. I bought this at a health food store for $7 for a large bottle. I use it as a pre-cleanser to remove sunscreen, as well as a body moisturizer.

I've been using this for about two weeks now, and no breakouts so far. Here's how I use it as a pre-cleanser:
I massage about a dime-size onto my face, making sure to rub my eyelashes. During this process, the oil tends to exfoliate away most of my flakes. Then, I wet my hands and "lather" up my facial cleanser (it doesn't really lather), and massage my face with that.
Finally, I rinse everything off. My face is left smooth and soft.

I was previously using Fancl's mild oil cleanser (for about 3 months), which didn't do much for my skin, and the jojoba oils actually clogged me. Grapeseed oil, however, has improved the condition of my skin in the past 2 weeks, and has faded some old acne marks. My skin as a "glow" to it now.

This has worked very well for me so far, no breakouts and clogged pores yet. I recycled an old Fancl pump bottle so it's very easy to use.
On it's own, this doesn't work wonders on my dry skin as a body moisturizer. I prefer Shea butter for that. However, for oily skin types, this would make a wonderful moisturizer. I also have mixed it with Shea butter with great results.

As with any oil, you will have to experiment to see what works best for you. Will update as I continue using this.

***Edited 12.2011*** I've been using grapeseed oil for a few years as a homemade cleansing oil. I purchase the cold-pressed chardonnay oil from gardenofwisdom.com, and use 90% oil and 10% cromollient SCE by weight (also from gow.com) to emulsify. I love how this cleansing oil removes all my makeup and even the Japanese sunscreen, but leaves some moisture in my skin.

my technique: I apply to dry skin, massage, add a bit of water to my hands, massage again, then use a cheap washcloth from the dollar store that I've run under hot water to wipe the day off! It's really a pampering treat.