October 23, 2014 | 1953 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 4:17:00 PM More reviews by Saslag

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love love love this stuff.I have oily oily oily skin and acne marks everywhere! I have tried everything! This stuff is wonderful! You have to get Extra-Virgin! Otherwise, you might be putting unwanted chemicals and crap on your face...

But with that being said, I use this to wash my makeup off my face (gets eye makeup off too)... Then I wash it as a cleanser, and then at night I put this and leave it on my face. I broke out a good bit when I first started using it... But after that, My complexion was awesome and I don't break out!! I guess my skin doesn't need to produce that much oil...
I still have acne scars and dark spots on my cheeks, but I'm trying apple cider vinegar to fade those spots (not too sure about that yet)... Give it a shot!

I put this in my hair and it didn't do anything to my hair.. just made it oily and flat. ha!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by sthompson0109

I use this product on EVERYTHING. It is amazing on hair, as a styler, a oil treatment, or even a wash. I also recommend coconut oil as a face wash. Contrary to popular belief it shouldn't make you break out, and it leaves skin very soft. For dry hair add a small amount of oil to hair on a daily basis beford styling and when hair is towel dried. if your hair is straight be cautious, hair may appear greasy.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by pinkmouse09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A must in my hair regimen. I live the smell. I'll buy a big jar at Sam's Club for $8 and so for I've had it for 6 months. A little goes a long way. When curly I use all over to seal moisture an when straight I use a tiny bit on the ends. Use it for cooking as well. Can't even taste it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2014 4:40:00 PM More reviews by Lauraasti

I'm glad I started using this! It's definitely helped improve my skin by leaps and bounds. I've never gotten an official diagnosis for eczema, but my mother and sisters have it and I have very dry, scaly, itchy spots on various parts of my body. That, combined with the colder than usual winter my area has been experiencing, my skin has been a mess and lotion just wasn't cutting it. I bought the Nutiva brand in the organic aisle at my local grocery-extra virgin, cold-pressed and unrefined is the kind you want! Otherwise, you won't get the full benefits of this stuff. It's a little pricey, but a jar should last a while. It comes completely solid, but will melt around 76 degrees, or when your skin touches it. I recommend using a spoon to scoop it out, to avoid messes. Also! This isn't really something to use all over your body just before work or going out--it takes a while to absorb. I used this 3 days in a row before going back to my regular lotion and the results have been great. I bring the jar into the bathroom when I shower, that way the steam helps it loosen a bit. When I get out of the shower, I pat dry and then begin applying the oil. It smells so good! Not artificial coconut like we're used to and which I hate! I scrape out a teaspoon-full at a time, rub my hands to melt it (it's a little drippy!) then apply it from my shoulders to my feet. It doesn't absorb quickly, so I take extra time to rub it on my skin and then put on a light robe to hang out in before getting dressed. Every 15-20 minutes or so, I rub everywhere the oil is again, to try and help it absorb a little more. Usually about an hour or so, I get bored and get dressed. My skin feels great the next day! Not overly soft like it gets with silicone-packed lotion, but strong, healthy, hydrated skin. And my dry patches improved with each use. More delicate areas of my skin, such as my inner arms, we're silky smooth though. After 3 days, I started using my silicone-free lotion in place of the oil and my skin has never felt better and the dry patches have disappeared. I use the oil once a week now just for good measure and I'm so pleased. It can get tedious, but it's worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 8:40:00 AM More reviews by emvie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

*UPDATE* 2/11/2014
I finally tried CO as a hair mask and loveeee it! I have long, blonde, highlighted hair and it looks so healthy and soft! I'm going to try to incorporate this into a weekly routine because the benefits are amazing. If anyone is interested in my method: At first I tried to warm up the CO in my hands and then put it on my hair but it was too tedious and messy so I filled my bathroom sink up with hot water and placed the jar in it, it was liquid in a matter of minutes, then I poured some in my palms, put it in my hair, and repeated. My scalp is dry from the cold winter so I coated thoroughly from my scalp down to the tips of my hair, put my hair in a bun, placed a disposable shower cap over it, and kept it on for 8 hours! The next morning I washed my hair twice with my favorite shampoo (Pureology Hydrate), and continued the rest of my routine as normal!

I tried really hard to use this as a makeup remover for my mascara. Am I missing something? I only use mascara for my top eyelashes. First of all, I get it in my eyes EVERY time, no matter how hard I close them. Then, my mascara isn't coming off very easy so I have to really rub. Using a cotton round doesn't work, using just my fingers doesn't work... and on top of that, from all the tugging, eyelashes come out. I love the way CO feels on my eyelashes/eyebrows/eyelids once I have no mascara on but so far this is NOT working for me.

Lastly, when I first picked up CO from Walmart, I didn't realize that I got "refined" until recently. I was wondering why it didn't have a scent and this is why. I bought Dr. Bronner's Whole Kernel Virgin CO yesterday and it smells amazingggggg. I read that it has more of the "good stuff" in it so I definitely recommend people making sure they get unrefined!

*ORIGINAL POST* 12/7/2013
I've used CO in place of body lotion and I liked it. It seemed to work fine, didn't have any adverse effects, and soaked into my skin fairly well. The reason i stopped using it was because it's just really annoying when you're getting ready (and I'm usually in a hurry) to get a spoon, spoon it out of the jar, and warm it up in your hands before applying while inadvertently some chunks fall on the floor. If it was liquid at room temperature I'd probably be more apt to use it. I would still like to try it as a hair mask, though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

Recently, my husband asked me whether I had lost a lot of hair. Not exactly something anyone wants to hear, (especially when I thought he was going to say "weight"). Well, I hadn't. According to my research, 50-100 strands a day is normal, and I lose a lot less than that. But my initial paranoia made me want to do a treatment on my hair. So I pulled out the jar of coconut oil and really coated my hair. First, I have to point out how messy it is. Little balls of congealed oil were falling on the floor, and my neck and shoulders were all greasy. Mine is also unenhanced, so I don't find the smell to be at all appealing. But I put on a shower cap and went about my business. Four hours later, I took a shower and even with a residue removing shampoo, my hair was still coated. I almost panicked, then decided to use my husband's dandruff shampoo, which some people use to remove color after a bad color job. Success, but surprisingly, my hair was extremely tangly and definitely didn't feel or look like it had just had a 4 hour "treatment." I would never cleanse with an oil, and I'm certainly not using it in my hair again, so I think I should just throw it away.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by shari_sp2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Coconut oil is the hardest working product, as it has SO many different uses, both in the bathroom and in the kitchen! As a beauty product, I use it to cleanse and moisturize, I make a homemade toothpaste with it, I oil pull with it, use it as a hair treatment, and also to treat pimples. Yes, I dab coconut oil right onto the active zit, and within a day it starts to dry up and shrinks, and within 3-4 days it is pretty much gone! Now I do have extremely dry skin, and I am almost 40 years old, so I'm not saying coconut oil would work the same on someone in their 20s with acne-prone or oily skin. But For those of us who can, it is amazing! I use it to remove makeup, wash my face and moisturize my skin, and my skin has never looked better! I also bake with it instead of using butter or oil (makes brownies SO moist and chewy!), fry with it (for frying I use a non-scented/flavored version), put it in my smoothies, even in my coffee sometimes. I love organic coconut oil and always have a couple of jars in the house, usually one in the bathroom and 1-2 in the kitchen. I really like the Nutiva brand but it is expensive when it is not on sale, but Costco carries an organic coconut oil by Carrington Farms which is a good price for a big jar, so I alternate between those two brands.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2014 8:39:00 AM More reviews by JustBeHappy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I put it on my whole body! Love it! Dry skin completely gone. Too strong for my face though. I just found Nerium to use for my sensitive face. Both products make my skin so soft.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/5/2014 7:11:00 AM More reviews by asunta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have to say I agree with some of the negative reviews. I dont understand the hype. I have tried using this for everything. In my hair it becomes the worst oil ball ever, I had to make sure not to go near any flames . On my skin omg dont get me started all I needed was some pineapple and I would become a human pina coloda.To cleanse break out city!! For cooking health proffessionals warn to stay away. So basically I wouldnt buy this ever again and I dont know why I would cleanse with this when there are so many beauty products out there designed to cleanse. Food on face? I didnt understand before but I do now.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2014 2:42:00 AM More reviews by sunblockobsession

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I do not understand why people go crazy over coconut oil. I have tried various brands for things like moisturizing (face and body), hair treatments, and cooking but I just don't think it's that great. Way overrated and expensive for what it is. Will not repurchase.

EDIT: The negative response to my review prompted me to try coconut oil on my hair again. I LOVED it. I melted about 5 tablespoons of oil, spread them from ends to scalp, left it in for two hours, and washed it out with a LUSH Seanik shampoo bar to reveal the softest, shiniest, bounciest hair I have had in YEARS. I uploaded a picture of my hair air-dried and brushed after my treatment on my profile. The process is kind of a hassle but I will probably aim to do this once a week. I won't be eating coconut oil or using it as a facial cleanser/body moisturizer, anytime soon though.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No