October 2, 2014 | 1858 users online

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 8:40:00 AM More reviews by emvie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

*UPDATE* 2/11/2014
I finally tried CO as a hair mask and loveeee it! I have long, blonde, highlighted hair and it looks so healthy and soft! I'm going to try to incorporate this into a weekly routine because the benefits are amazing. If anyone is interested in my method: At first I tried to warm up the CO in my hands and then put it on my hair but it was too tedious and messy so I filled my bathroom sink up with hot water and placed the jar in it, it was liquid in a matter of minutes, then I poured some in my palms, put it in my hair, and repeated. My scalp is dry from the cold winter so I coated thoroughly from my scalp down to the tips of my hair, put my hair in a bun, placed a disposable shower cap over it, and kept it on for 8 hours! The next morning I washed my hair twice with my favorite shampoo (Pureology Hydrate), and continued the rest of my routine as normal!

I tried really hard to use this as a makeup remover for my mascara. Am I missing something? I only use mascara for my top eyelashes. First of all, I get it in my eyes EVERY time, no matter how hard I close them. Then, my mascara isn't coming off very easy so I have to really rub. Using a cotton round doesn't work, using just my fingers doesn't work... and on top of that, from all the tugging, eyelashes come out. I love the way CO feels on my eyelashes/eyebrows/eyelids once I have no mascara on but so far this is NOT working for me.

Lastly, when I first picked up CO from Walmart, I didn't realize that I got "refined" until recently. I was wondering why it didn't have a scent and this is why. I bought Dr. Bronner's Whole Kernel Virgin CO yesterday and it smells amazingggggg. I read that it has more of the "good stuff" in it so I definitely recommend people making sure they get unrefined!

*ORIGINAL POST* 12/7/2013
I've used CO in place of body lotion and I liked it. It seemed to work fine, didn't have any adverse effects, and soaked into my skin fairly well. The reason i stopped using it was because it's just really annoying when you're getting ready (and I'm usually in a hurry) to get a spoon, spoon it out of the jar, and warm it up in your hands before applying while inadvertently some chunks fall on the floor. If it was liquid at room temperature I'd probably be more apt to use it. I would still like to try it as a hair mask, though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

Recently, my husband asked me whether I had lost a lot of hair. Not exactly something anyone wants to hear, (especially when I thought he was going to say "weight"). Well, I hadn't. According to my research, 50-100 strands a day is normal, and I lose a lot less than that. But my initial paranoia made me want to do a treatment on my hair. So I pulled out the jar of coconut oil and really coated my hair. First, I have to point out how messy it is. Little balls of congealed oil were falling on the floor, and my neck and shoulders were all greasy. Mine is also unenhanced, so I don't find the smell to be at all appealing. But I put on a shower cap and went about my business. Four hours later, I took a shower and even with a residue removing shampoo, my hair was still coated. I almost panicked, then decided to use my husband's dandruff shampoo, which some people use to remove color after a bad color job. Success, but surprisingly, my hair was extremely tangly and definitely didn't feel or look like it had just had a 4 hour "treatment." I would never cleanse with an oil, and I'm certainly not using it in my hair again, so I think I should just throw it away.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by shari_sp2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Coconut oil is the hardest working product, as it has SO many different uses, both in the bathroom and in the kitchen! As a beauty product, I use it to cleanse and moisturize, I make a homemade toothpaste with it, I oil pull with it, use it as a hair treatment, and also to treat pimples. Yes, I dab coconut oil right onto the active zit, and within a day it starts to dry up and shrinks, and within 3-4 days it is pretty much gone! Now I do have extremely dry skin, and I am almost 40 years old, so I'm not saying coconut oil would work the same on someone in their 20s with acne-prone or oily skin. But For those of us who can, it is amazing! I use it to remove makeup, wash my face and moisturize my skin, and my skin has never looked better! I also bake with it instead of using butter or oil (makes brownies SO moist and chewy!), fry with it (for frying I use a non-scented/flavored version), put it in my smoothies, even in my coffee sometimes. I love organic coconut oil and always have a couple of jars in the house, usually one in the bathroom and 1-2 in the kitchen. I really like the Nutiva brand but it is expensive when it is not on sale, but Costco carries an organic coconut oil by Carrington Farms which is a good price for a big jar, so I alternate between those two brands.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2014 8:39:00 AM More reviews by JustBeHappy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I put it on my whole body! Love it! Dry skin completely gone. Too strong for my face though. I just found Nerium to use for my sensitive face. Both products make my skin so soft.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/5/2014 7:11:00 AM More reviews by asunta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have to say I agree with some of the negative reviews. I dont understand the hype. I have tried using this for everything. In my hair it becomes the worst oil ball ever, I had to make sure not to go near any flames . On my skin omg dont get me started all I needed was some pineapple and I would become a human pina coloda.To cleanse break out city!! For cooking health proffessionals warn to stay away. So basically I wouldnt buy this ever again and I dont know why I would cleanse with this when there are so many beauty products out there designed to cleanse. Food on face? I didnt understand before but I do now.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2014 2:42:00 AM More reviews by sunblockobsession

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I do not understand why people go crazy over coconut oil. I have tried various brands for things like moisturizing (face and body), hair treatments, and cooking but I just don't think it's that great. Way overrated and expensive for what it is. Will not repurchase.

EDIT: The negative response to my review prompted me to try coconut oil on my hair again. I LOVED it. I melted about 5 tablespoons of oil, spread them from ends to scalp, left it in for two hours, and washed it out with a LUSH Seanik shampoo bar to reveal the softest, shiniest, bounciest hair I have had in YEARS. I uploaded a picture of my hair air-dried and brushed after my treatment on my profile. The process is kind of a hassle but I will probably aim to do this once a week. I won't be eating coconut oil or using it as a facial cleanser/body moisturizer, anytime soon though.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2014 10:34:00 PM More reviews by Jnsbaby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product does leave my face super soft but I've been wearing it to sleep and it gives me huge painful cystic acne. Not worth it.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 8:37:00 PM More reviews by JessieAnneH

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is such a dream come true! It is super healthy, and has dramatically helped me with my dry hair and combination skin. I use it once a week as a deep conditioner for my hair. It makes it super silky and soft. So luminous! For my face i use it every night as a night moisturizer. I do not have acne, but i do get a blemish or two every 2-3 months. It really helped with my break out prone skin from breaking out. It is also amazing because you know that there are no ingredients in it that can unbalance your hormones!!! Woot woot

Coconut oil has made my soul so happy, and i will use if for the rest of my life. Thank you America

Love, Jess

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by yellowease

Coconut oil is my HG everything! I have used it overnight as a deep conditioning treatment for my colored hair, a moisturizer (sparingly-- especially when I want to detox from using too many chemicals), shaving gel (although it did cause minor irritation and sensitivity afterwards), in my food (and tea) and last but not least I use it once or twice a week to oil pull!

It's absolutely great and I have no complaints whatsoever.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 2:56:00 AM More reviews by Jaytexas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Love coconut oil! It had many useful purposes. Cooking, oil pulling, body/facial moisturizer, hair mask, diaper rashes, cradle cap, etc. side note: I personally do not use as a facial moisturizer, due to a couple of break outs while using. Supposably, some say it's your skin get rid of the impurities and it would diminish after awhile. Well, I didn't continue using to find out! Lol I'll stick to my usually facial moisturizer :) other than that coconut oil is awesome!