April 20, 2014 | 1811 users online

Concealers - MAC - Select Cover-Up

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2012 9:55:00 AM More reviews by msmarielliejellie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This might sound cliche from someone reviewing concealers but here goes: I suffer from dark circles and this is one that helps reduce that problem if I'm in a rush to do my makeup. I don't wear foundation anymore but concealer is definitely a staple considering my situation. It stays the whole day but it creases on me. I'd say the coverage is medium to buildable full coverage which is mediocre considering this ought to be a concealer thus it also ought to be full coverage. I also like that it's small enough to carry with you in your clutch. I keep two of these in my bag (I have one that stays permanently in my purse the other I tend to grab from my desk and bring with me when I'm rushing. Don't think you're being skimped on product. A little goes a long way. Coming from someone who uses only concealer, half a pea size amount is enough to cover my eyes and lids, around my nose and mouth and in between my brows to add brightness. A decent concealer but I'm still on the lookout for the best one for me.

UPDATE:
I added another lippie because I tried different methods of applying this and found one that doesn't lose its coverage and at the same time prevents creasing. I pat this on my dark circles and blemishes with my finger to distribute and warm up the product and use the shiseido perfect foundation brush to pat and blend it in place. It looks absolutely amazing on when I use this method, undetectable and flawless. This has easily become my HG concealer/foundation. Will repurchase and buy more backups soon.
PS. A dot of this mixed in with your moisturizer makes an excellent tinted moisturizer!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by kirstenp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't even know how many tubes of this I have purchased...too many. I used to use this in NW15 as a foundation--it was the only thing i could find that covered well and was light enough. It definitely worked nicely as a foundation, but I have found concealers that cover much more using less product, and that are significantly less expensive. Not the worst product in the world, but I don't think it is worth the money. I suggest looking into some drugstore concealers, such as Hard Candy's "Glam-oflage", Revlon's concealer stick, or Mabelline's "fit me" concealer.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2012 5:33:00 PM More reviews by CamiChicken

This concealer is.......good and bad at the same time.

it works pretty well covering acne scars ! as long as you find the right shade for you this can cover every blemish ! you just need a tiny amount, this will last a very long time

but for the under eye area doesn't work that great, it looks cakey and DRY, which is weird because I have super oily skin

also, it doesn't stay more than 4-5 hours WITH primer

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by cinderelka90

wow i seriously think this is one of the worst concealers Ive ever come across. for under the eyes, it is far too cakey and settles into fine lines even over a primer and even when set with a powder. i thought maybe it would be good for blemishes but it oxidizes within a half hour and leaves an obvious mark of where the concealer was placed. really just horrible and useless. I have yet to be impressed by any mac concealers, and this one was no different.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 3:27:00 PM More reviews by tichel

this is a great concealer! Whereas prolongwear is darker than it should be,this is the perfect shade. I have HORRIBLY dark circles under my eyes and I have tried many different brands and products but this is perfect! Just apply little circles of this on your undereye area using a flat synthetic brush (like 242) and buff it out and down with a fluffy dome shaped brush (like 224). For both eyes together do not use more than a pea sized amount. After it is buffed all the way out so that there is no harsh line between your skin and the product, set with Mineralize Skin Finish Natural using the same fluffy brush (or a bigger face brush if you want to make sure your whole face is the same color and there are no sudden stops between where there is powder and where there is not). Perfect under eye concealer!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by SDSnyds

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't hate this concealer but I don't love it either. It doesn't fully cover dark circles or blemishes but I like that it doesn't settle into lines that much. What I absolutely hate is there's some kind of shimmer in this. I don't know why makeup companies insist on adding shimmer to their products. Maybe they're under the delusion that it makes us look younger but we all know that's certainly not the case. I also hate the packaging and how runny this is. More times than not I've wasted product by barely squeezing and way too much coming out. All in all, I wouldn't repurchase. Save your money for something better.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 1:42:00 AM More reviews by cuyugang0322

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my go to concealer if I am in a rush, and need something foolproof. When I use this concealer, I generally am not using any liquid foundation underneath. I use this concealer under mineral foundation powder or Studio Fix Powder. I like this concealer as a quick application because it is sheer enough to be forgiving when you're in a rush, but opaque enough to conceal. It blends like a dream when you choose the right shade. If you have redness, try the "NC" shades as they will counteract the redness with the yellow tones. I use NC30 for the winter, and NC35 for summer. Even when I tan to NC40, the select line still blends well enough so I can get away with NC35 in this concealer.
I do not use this concealer for my under eye area. I generally do not use under eye concealer so unfortunately I would not be able to determine it's effectiveness as one. But it is a great quick concealer that melts into your skin for a natural put-together look. Powder foundation glides over it seamlessly.
With a primer (oil-controlling), setting powder (usually BE, MAC SF, MAC MSF), finishing spray (MAC fix +), and periodic blotting I last 8 hours without looking like a deep-fried oily mess.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by bionicbigjames

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not a fan of this at all. It is very drying and looks cakey when I put it under my eyes. It also settles in the lines. I sometimes use this to cover blemishes and that's only because I don't like wasting something I paid for. The only thing I do like is the packaging. The squeeze tube is hygienic and will allow you to get every drop of product. Other than that though, this concealer is just not for me. :-/

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2012 11:09:00 AM More reviews by sweetascocoa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this concealer for covering for facial blemishes. I'm not a huge fan of using it for my undereye area- I think my pro longwear concealer is better for that. But, for spot covering, Select Cover-up is it.
One reason that I like Select Cover-Up is because the shades tend to run truer to color to most MAC foundations. I find that the pro long wear concealers can be way too orange in some colors (like NC50).
I typically add a small squirt of my NC50 Select Cover-Up to my 8.0 Matchmaster foundation, and this gives me excellent coverage, and the color match is really good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2012 6:30:00 AM More reviews by delicatepost

I use this for under my eyes.. this is the best product I've used for my under eyes dark circles.. the shades in this are lighter than the actual foundation colours. you've been told!!

I like that this is a liquid and blendable, it's thick enough too.. just to cover up my horrible dark circles..

I will buy this time and time again. I don't use this for my blemishes.