October 30, 2014 | 1351 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2014 7:54:00 PM More reviews by SarahCosProf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just recently purchased this product. I do have to say that it was definitely worth the chunk of change. The only downfall of the beauty blender is that sometimes when I use it to blend my foundation, I feel like it soaks up the foundation and even wipes the makeup right off of my face. I use urban decay primer and loreal true match foundation, and they are both great products and I have been using them for years, so I know it is not the foundation. Overall, it does give a nice airbrushed, clean finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2014 6:32:00 PM More reviews by Katelrobs3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Well I'll be damned...this lil sponge is the bee's knees. I avoided purchasing this for about two years for I just couldn't justify spending $20 on a sponge. After receiving some $ for graduation I decided to cave and buy it and I'm oh so glad I did. I have dry skin and after being disappointed with setting sprays claiming to give you a 'dewy' face I was hoping this would take away that 'cakey' quality that some foundations can give. This did all that and more; cuts your foundation application time in half and truly gives your face a very very natural, hydrated look. I have Real Techniques beauty sponge and I would not say it is a dupe for the BB at all. At the moment I'm using my HG Shiseido Radiant Lift foundation as well as Lancme's Teint Miracle foundation and it works wonders with both. Just get it wet, squeeze out the water and there ya go! So satisfied with this purchase and definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence about purchasing!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by Helenaw14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is great! I was hesitant to buy it at first because I did not think it would cover up my blemishes and the dryness on my skin. I got the target brand one and it was a total disappointment. But then I got this one, it works so well. Nothing compares to this! Love love love!💞

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by qaeng3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Other

Best tool ever!! If you want your makeup to be NATURAL, then this is for you. However as it is a sponge, it Is not as durable as a brush. Also you might need to use more product since it absorbs the foundation. It is very convenient but price wise, I feel it is a bit EXPENSIVE for its durability. But regardless of that, I will still repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by treradical

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I no longer use this because I am no longer wearing foundation, but this was the BEST way to apply my makeup when I was wearing Revlon Colorstay. It made my makeup go on so smoothly and made it look natural. If I was still wearing foundation, I would definitely keep repurchasing it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2014 4:12:00 PM More reviews by thecharberry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Since I purchased my first Beautyblender (BB) 2 years ago, I've stopped looking for the "perfect" makeup tool to make my foundation look flawless. If you are like me and your goal is to have a dewy, polished, and natural skin finish, then the BB is for you.

I used to spend a lot of time with my foundation, from making sure that there were no brush streaks on my face and neck to making sure everything was perfectly in place. The BB has been a huge time-saver for me. To prep the sponge, all I do is squeeze it in my hand under warm running water to make sure that the whole BB is wet. Then using a towel, I would squeeze out any excess water. You want the sponge to be damp and ready to use, not soaking wet.

Some have complained about the BB soaking up and wasting too much product. What I have learned to do is pump my foundation on the back of my hand and with my clean fingers, I dot the foundation on my face and neck. Now comes the best part! With the larger side, I will bounce away (or stipple, as you pros say) on my cheeks, chin, forehead, and neck. Any difficult areas like around the nose or under the eyes, I will use the pointed side for more precision. The BB is great for powdered foundations and for blending out concealers too.

One thing that I would like to emphasize is to clean your BBs regularly. My cleanser isn't anything fancy or expensive so I use it to clean the sponge. Focus on the areas where you can see the foundation but also clean the whole sponge thoroughly. If you don't try and clean it daily, you risk staining your BB (the longer you wait, the harder it is to get it all pink and clean again) but the biggest risk is damaging your skin with a dirty sponge. With my sensitive skin, I would never risk that. When you are squeezing your clean BB under running water, the sponge should quickly expand back. If you see that your BB is not absorbing the water and isn't growing (it should expand when wet), it's a sign that product or even the cleanser you used to clean it is still trapped in there. I would suggest to replace your BBs every 6 months. Just the thought of all the bacteria that can be potentially trapped inside the sponge is making my palms sweaty now...

One last thing is a word of caution for those with long nails! Be careful when you're squeezing the sponge dry, careful not to tear the sponge.

The Beautyblender is quite pricey and I haven't tried other sponges (other than the ones that came with my compact foundations). My principle is to not waste money if I've already found something good.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2014 2:28:00 AM More reviews by gracyyylala

It's a pretty good product. It blends out foundation evenly, doesn't suck up to much product, and leaves a nice smooth finish. However if you have mild to severe acne or acne scaring and you want your foundation to cover it up flawlessly I would recommend using a stippling or buffing brush for maximum coverage.

Side Note: If you try to sanitize the beauty blender with rubbing alcohol some of the color will rinse of leaving it a bit lighter.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2014 4:48:00 PM More reviews by Nicola21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the amazing finish this gives, you can layer for fuller coverage or sheer out any foundation. I always get compliments when I use this to apply my foundation on how great my skin looks, which is kind of rare for me seeing as my foundation less face is uneven has scaring and is prone to acne and redness. All these great things aside I'm no longer using this product because I don't find it hygienic enough, I washed it after every use and used anti bacterial soap which removed all the foundation stains but I still felt that I there could be bacteria growing inside it (because of my acne issues Im a bit of a hygiene freak with my skin care products). If I could afford to buy a new one of these every 3 weeks to a month I would still use it, but being a broke student I don't have that money to spare :(. I said yes to re-buying because it is worth the money and I plan to start using it again when I have more income. I am now using the real techniques buffing brush to apply my foundation which is great but the finish isn't as natural or glow-y.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/8/2014 4:11:00 PM More reviews by saem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I cannot believe sephora is selling a sponge for almost 30.00 in clear, dollar store looking packaging. Like if I'm going to be crazy enough to drop 27.00 on a sponge than at least give me some cute packaging. I went to winners and bought TWO in a package of the exact same thing, pink and orange, with two different levels of firmness for 7.99. They do the same thing the beauty blender does. Ladies, please do yourself a favour and go to winners or even your drugstore and buy them there do not spend 27.00 on a tiny pink sponge!!!!! >:(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2014 12:56:00 PM More reviews by Norahraj88