beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 2/14/2015 1:22:00 PM

If they lowered the price to $12 I'd be more likely to buy more because as another review stated, it's unsanitary. With that being said, "No rAgrets". I love it. When I apply foundation with a brush, it always kicks up some flakes from my dry patches because of the buffing motion, I also have to hurry up and blend the makeup before it dries. With the beauty blender you're just dabbing the foundation on so it really did make my face look flawless because I didn't flake and my makeup didn't get cakey due to the dampness of the sponge ,it made the foundation and concealer super blendable.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

IT'S SO FLUFFLY I'M GONNA DIE!
Ok, on a serious note, I can't believe I spent $20.00 on a freaking sponge. It was just a momentanous moment of splurge because this sponge is EVERYWHERE on YouTube. Super hyped! Yeah, I get it; it is super soft and blends foundation and concealer like a dream, it is made of such soft porous material it expands tremendously with water, but really? Twenty-freaking- dollars?
I actually have a couple of problems with this sponge: 1) The steep price 2) How unsanitary it really is... I just clean it in microwaved hot water, also with anti bacterial soap, and I leave it to dry wondering if mildew is forming at its core, because I am never 100% sure it is truly dry even after it shrinks. 3) It is some delicate frail material. I know it will lose it's shape over time, and the pink color also fades. 4) With my great quality brushes I can achieve the same effect this product provides me. All in all, I feel it is a cool item to have just because everyone raves about it. You know what I mean? Not a god sent. Not worth twenty dollars.

on 2/7/2015 9:47:00 PM

I bought this sponge because I read and heard so many good reviews about about it. Without this sponge I literally don't know how I did my makeup before. I really love this sponge because I can apply my concealer and foundation without it looking cakey. I stopped using foundation for everyday use and I just use concealer. I stopped using this sponge aswell for a while and just used a brush to apply my concealer and it was the worst decision ever. As I applied my conealer with a brush you can see streaks from the brush. Most definately try out this brush.

Although I absolutely love this application sponge and consider it a gift from the makeup gods, the only complaint I have is it is a little pricey. However, for the versatility of coverage one is able to achieve with just one sponge, I suppose it is worth it. As long as you clean it regularly, it lasts quite a while so maybe it almost pays for itself if you ditch your other disposable cheap sponges, etc,
Buyer Beware of cheap knockoffs! They will NOT give you the same amazing results as the original, authentic BeautyBlender (speaking from experience!).

on 1/28/2015 12:09:00 AM

This is my HG makeup "applicator." I have used many different brands and types of brushes/sponges and the Beauty Blender takes the cake. I thoroughly wet the BB then squeeze it with my hand then I give it a squeeze with a towel so it is left just a little damp. I apply my concealer with a little brush then buff it out with the BB and I dip the BB into my foundation and bounce it on my face. I also use it to apply Anastasia Beverly Hills Banana shade from the highlight and contour palette. I sort of dab the pointy end on the. Powder then bounce it under my eyes and it comes out matte but not actually powdery. It works well to blend out harsh cream blushes and bringers. I have already repurchased this once because my original went missing after a few months and I missed it so much I spent another $20 for a new one... So worth the price! If you think about it, a nice brush can cost at least that much and this serves as several brushes in my opinion. I can't say enough so I am going to end here!

on 1/27/2015 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The Beauty Blender are popular for good reasons. The first and most important reason: it leaves your foundation looking airbrushed and seamless. No more nasty cakey make-up!

That being said, I must admit that have never jumped on board with the whole Make-Up Sponge hype.

Shocking, I know.

Let me explain why:

Despite it's easy application and flawless finish it leaves on your skin, I greatly question the HYGIENE level of constantly having a damp make-up sponge. No, this isn't about foundation residue left on your sponge, this is about bacteria and mould!

Sponges, unlike the old-school brushes, simply takes too long to dry. The emphasis here is no longer the method of cleaning, but the method of drying. Why? It's simple. The longer the sponge stays damp, the greater the chances of it attracting bacteria and mould!

Some ladies I know aren't too bothered with that fact because they are assured of its cleanliness as long as it is physically clean of foundation residues and what not. As with anything in life:

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Here's some proof:

"The warm, damp and porous nature of kitchen sponges make them an ideal breeding ground for bacteria. In these conditions one bacterium can multiply to more than four million in just eight hours.
This can make them up to 200 times more infested than a lavatory. A study by the University of Arizona found that most sponges in kitchens hold large numbers of bacteria including E.coli and salmonella." - source

Granted, we're not talking about kitchen sponges here. Though the idea is the same - make-up sponges can be indeed warm, damp and they are in fact porous. Yes, even with the best cleaning solutions or microwaving it.

Additionally, the egg-shaped or spherical nature of the sponge further aggravates the drying time. Especially in the core of the sponge. So while it may be dry to touch, the centre of the sponge may still be damp enough to harbour unwanted bacteria.

Not convinced?

Ever found some black specks on your make-up sponge? Those are mould! It happened to me on the second day that I've bought one. Despite how new it was, I couldn't bear the thought of having mould come in contact with my skin. With great reluctance, I threw it out and never looked backed since.

Take heart, not all is lost!There is one way where you can have the similar flawless finish of a make-up sponge all whilst maintaining tip-top hygiene standards for your face.

Continue reading on how I do it here: http://claudlyy.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-one-thing-to-consider-before-using.html

on 1/27/2015 9:25:00 AM

The best thing to ever happen to me. I have dry/sensitive skin with dry flaky patches. Every single foundation brush I used just irritated my skin, make the flakes even worse, and it ends up being patchy and cakey. I like sheer/glowy/natural finish and this does the job perfectly.

I have tried other dupes but they do not even come close to this. It's expensive for a sponge but its well worth it for me.

My only con is it leaks a lot of pink dye. I don't really want that near my skin and after a few washes the sponge also looks quite old/beat up.

on 1/22/2015 6:15:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This product is a total freaking scam! And I fell for it...
Summary of product:
Magenta, egg shaped makeup sponge.
Comes 2 to a package ($20 at Sephora).
To be used while damp on clean, dry, moisturized skin.
Place a pumpful of foundation on back of hand. Dip damp beauty blender in foundation. Apply to face using a gentle stippling (aka dabbing) motion. Apply multiple layers of foundation if necessary.

Pros:
Super freaking soft! I have to say, it is so gentle on my sensitive skin <-- reason for star 1.
Provides a nice and even application. HOWEVER, it's no better than the makeup wedges I buy from Target (a package of 50 costs $4.00) <-- reason for star 2 because, hey, it does provide a nice makeup application in general.

Cons:
Where do I begin?
HYGIENE! Oh my goodness! The unhygienic nature of this product is ridiculous. It didn't even hit my until after I used this product for the first time that I'm supposed to use this same sponge for 3 whole months. Even with the obvious washings this thing recieves, that is way too long of a time to use a single sponge. It is impossible to wash away 100% of all bacteria from the sponge. Inevitably, this bacteria will manage to thrive on the beauty blender over time. Worst part is, the Beauty Blender Cleansing Solid costs and extra $15 at Sephora. Basically, you're spending $35 for two pink sponges and soap... That's ridiculous. This is why I prefer the wedges from Target. They come out to 8 cents each and can be thrown away after a week or so of use. So, time to do the math... using the beauty blender, you get 6 mon the worth of use (3 months per sponge, 2 sponges per pack) for $35 (including cost of cleanser). Using the makeup wedges, I get a year's worth of wedges for $4. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have the money to spend $70 per year on a makeup applicator and its special cleanser. On the other hand, $4 per year I will happily spend for something that works just as well.
Too absorbant! A full 2/3 of my foundation gets trapped in the blender! Basically only 1/3 of the foundation makes its way only to skin, the rest goes to waste. Can you imagine how big of a waste of money it is to only be able to actually use 1/3 of the foundation you buy? Not only is it a waste of money, it leads to too sheer of coverage. I need something that can place enough product on my under eye are to cover dark circles. This beauty blender simply cannot! If I apply foundation and then use the beauty blender to try and apply concealer, hardly any of it makes its way onto my skin. Worse yet, if I use a concealer brush to apply a thicker layer of concealer amd then try to blend it all together with the beauty blender, it picks up and essentially removes all of the concealer I had applied to my skin.
The price! I've already covered this, but I felt the need to list it as a separate bullet point because it truly is a huge negative of this product!
Not a durable product. Yes, I realize it is a sponge so, it's not exactly strong. However, the tip started to tear/wear out after only a week of use (primarily, I used the tip for my under eye area to get a precise foundation application).

Overall, if you use the beauty blender as directed, it will work well. However, it is comparable in results to a much MUCH cheaper and hygienic makeup wedge when used for a sheer makeup application. It cannot provide a moderate or thick application. It costs $20 for a 6 month supply. It costs an additional $15 for the cleanser. It soaks up makeup like crazy (costing you yet more money!). It is not durable enough.
Be smart. Skip this product. Get yourself a package of makeup wedges and save yourself $66 per year.

on 1/22/2015 4:50:00 AM

I never right reviews here, but it's almost 2 am and I can't sleep so let me share with you my thoughts. First of all I have tried every beauty blender knock off and the original one and they awful. Damp, super wet l, or just plain dry, this sponge acts like a sponte because that's what it is, it absorbs most of the product and you are left with an uneven and sheer bad foundation coverage on your skin. I have tried this with th e kat von d d and revlon color stay foundations which are the most pigmented, heavier and overall full in coverage, and this stupid thing still managed to thin out the foundation damp or dry. I don't understand the fascination with this product and others like it. It gives you no coverage and eats up everything! Even if you are expecting a natural and light coverage finish, this will actually leave your face without any product. This is basically smearing your foundation all over your face until the sponge eats up the foundation and leaves you with zero product on your face. Awful, truly awful product.

on 1/19/2015 11:32:00 PM

I did not understand the hype about the beauty blender until I forked over the 20$ at Sephora to get my hands on one after having my color matched foundation applied with the BB by one of the Sephora artists. I fell in love with the finish it left me with and was so happy how natural my foundation looked. This is also the only thing I use to blend in my MAC prolongwear concealer and Highighter. Seriously the finish is unbelievable! I know it seems expensive but if you take care of it you only have to buy it once. That being said, I found a box of 2 beauty blenders from amazon for $24, so keep your eyes peeled for those babies!!!

In terms of performance I give 5 stars, but for cleaning up and everyday maintenance the BB is kind of difficult to deal with. Washing it poorly I guess will leave your sponge with tears and holes in it, which arent a problem for makeup application but just look gross and make me not happy when my sponge looks old.

I have the special liquid cleanser that you are supposed to clean it with but i find that i get similar or even better results when i use a mild liquid face or hand soap

happy blending!