September 18, 2014 | 1871 users online

Self Tanners - Dove - Summer Glow

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2008 1:42:00 AM More reviews by SewaBunni

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin's ability to tan is practically non-existent. Therefore, my legs are white. So white they seem to fluoresce in the sunlight.
Therefore, I have tried self tanners before to give them that lovely tanned look, however, this has left them too dark to suit the rest of my body. Hence proclaiming to the world "Fake Tan!".
So, I bought Dove Summer Glow Body Lotion in the 'Fair to Normal skin' shade. I find this adds a very natural looking tan that does not look fake. I do want them to be less pasty-white, but on the other hand I don't want them too dark. So, instead of getting 'great results after about 5 days' as the bottle says, I find applying it for 2-3 days (once per day) does the trick. Then I wait another 2-3 days before starting again to prevent them getting too dark.
I would give it 5 lippies, but i find that the fragrance which I think smells slightly citrusy when I apply it turns into a fake tan smell after a couple of hours. Albeit, not as stinky as a normal fake tan. Overall, a great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2007 3:12:00 PM More reviews by enchanted_garden

This is the first self tanner of any kind that I've tried and I like it. The tanning was gradual but I can see it and I havent had any problems with streaking. At first I thought there was no selftanner smell, but I've recently been told that when I wear I do smell a little bit of selftanner. I've bought this twice already and I will definately repurchase again.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/28/2007 8:23:00 AM More reviews by superguard247

After using this for two weeks, this self tanner flaked off in uneven patches, mostly on my chest and elbow creases. It gave me that "lizard" skin appearance, making it look like I had some kind of skin disease. The color was okay for a self tanner, but certainly not worth looking sickly for. Normally, I like Dove, but I def don't recommend this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2007 9:06:00 AM More reviews by kitten_at_heart

After seeing the commercial I got it and well I'm glad I did. Effective mosturizer and it really developed a mild tan. I'm using it reguraly though. I had no problems with the smell.
After mine finished out I went for a re-purchase, but instead got the one with shimmers, and I just can't wait to go back to this one again!
It only streaked once on my leg, and took about three days to disappear, however it was my fault for not blending properly. Like this product, however, next summer I'll be switching to cadey cambia pelle, which gives out a sun-bed-tan

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2007 10:59:00 AM More reviews by cammitu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is by far one of the best self tanning lotions around! And its dirt cheap too, which is a bonus!! I normally head to the solarium every week to get my skin bronzed but with all the risks involved with skin cancer etc..i decided to quit the solariums for good. Heard alot of great reviews about this product so i gave it a try and i am now completely hooked. It wont get you the " I just came back from the beaches of brazil" look, but it gives you a nice golden glow, about 2-3 shades darker then you natural skin colour. Only thing i dont like about this product is that it can be quite difficult to squeeze out of the bottle as the consistancy of the cream is thick. Asides from that..I love it! Be aware tho, with any self tanning products, exfoliation is a must! I exfoliate every 2 days to get the best results. I dont know if it takes away some of the colour but rather that then a yucky streaky tan.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2007 12:40:00 AM More reviews by melocoe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm on my second bottle of this. Tried the Johnson & Johnson version and the Nivea one but I think this one is just a little better. The smell is more pleasant with not much fake tan odour and it is a bit more moisturising and slightly thicket than the others which is great for my dry skin. The colour is pretty convincing too and you start to see results on light skin in a few days. I use the med-dark one. Great price, especially when its on special at the supermarket.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2007 2:17:00 AM More reviews by ocicat

there must be something wrong with me - i dont seem to tan. been using this summer glow for the past week - and my legs havent even turned one shade darker. i just wanted to try this stuff so i can even out the blotchiness of my legs.
the lotion itself is creamy and smells fantastic! quite strong - stronger than a light spray of perfume that i usually put on. thats a good thing in this case because the fragrance is very pleasant.
is a bit sticky after application (i put on a lot and rub it in), so i wait a while before getting dressed again.
i won't repurchase simply coz it's not doing its job! i would look at a non-tanning body lotion if all i wanted was something to moisturise my body

Edited to add: have been using this on a more consistent basis and it does add a light tan (very natural and almost un-noticable on my light skin). I'm addicted to the lovely mango-fruity scent and love the buttery texture. the stickiness i can put up with - just wait a while before dressing. Have already re-purchased another bottle -this time in the darker shade.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2007 10:30:00 AM More reviews by angehayler

I really really love this product. I have freakishly fair skin, and burn very easily, so I have tried a number of self tanners, and, in my opinion, this is among the best. I love the color (it takes about 4 days to develop on me), and it really doesn't streak, even when I'm lazy with the application.
Edit*** I've been using this for a while now, and while I still think it's good, it does streak a bit more than I'm happy with (probably because I have to dress before it's properly dry) and it really takes FOREVER to dry, which really irritates me especially since I hate wearing clothes over wet skin - grose.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2007 11:39:00 AM More reviews by IceQueen333

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

At first everything was fine.
Then I either overdid it (applied too much at once) or simply used it for too long, and
1) my arms broke out
2) I ended up with orange splotches. :/

I like that it doesn't stink though.
will use until i find something better.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/31/2007 4:16:00 PM More reviews by shmoodley

This product totally made my arms breakout. I have sensitive skin prone to breaking out and was thinking that Dove would be gentle enough to use. I was wrong. I went back to the Sublime by L'oreal. It doesn't make my skin breakout.