Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 4/11/2012 3:29:00 PM

I bought this since it was one of the more practical purchases I could make in order to score the awesome gift-with-purchase deal that Clinique had at the time. I usually use Shiseido ultimate sun protection cream, but thought I'd give this a try.

I like that it doesn't feel oily on my skin, but noticed that if I leave it on for a bit too long without blending, (about 10-20 seconds) then it starts to peel off if I try to rub it in. The package says it can be used as an under-makeup primer so I suppose this is the effect of the primer ingredients.

I like that it's tinted so it leaves less of a white cast on my pale Asian skin than the Shiseido sunblock, but I can't really testify to its sun protection powers. I usually use my face sunblock on the backs of my hands as well but this sunblock makes it look like I have foundation on my hands.

I probably would not purchase it again, although I do like Clinique products in general.

on 3/26/2012 11:10:00 AM

I've lost count of how many times I've purchased this product. It is reliable, immediate protection under makeup or alone. If you dont wear foundation you can reapply this during the day. It does actually offer very slight coverage because of the chemical-free sunscreen ingredients.

I would caution people to remove this product thoroughly as it can cause breakouts.

on 3/3/2012 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this product (and other variations of it) on and off for 10 years and I always keep going back to it. It works great and is really good as a primer as well.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

My mum & I used this and it was fine. Don't love it but it prob got the job done. Felt it was a bit greasy on my skin, but other than that, did not break me out. Will repurchase if I ever run out of ideas for sunblock. But for now I like to try new things :)

on 2/25/2012 7:22:00 AM

really love this sunblock! i was putting off getting face sunblock for the longest time, and i was just using regular sunblock on my face but it makes your face very oily and blemish prone. so i needed something oil free and with a high spf because i am very fair skinned. initially i was concerned because this sunblock is tinted but i can't notice any color on my ghostly pale skin, it's perfect, it sinks in really fast. i will put it on my face right after i put on my moisturizer, i find that's the best way for it to really sink in. there have been a couple times that i've used a moisturizer i rarely use with it or i've tried to put on foundation too soon after applying and it will kind of come off and ball up and flake off, i suppose you just need to let it have the time to sink in and be patient for a couple minutes haha.
since using this sunblock i've never experienced any breakouts from it, no greasy/oilyness, it actually gives my skin a nice glow with some added coverage from the sheer tint. love! will purchase again and again :)

on 1/29/2012 1:00:00 PM

Ok. This is one of my staples, and HG's. I have used the City Block products in various incarnations for almost 20 years. A product I started in my teens. It does feel thick going on, but then vanishes into the skin. Because it has zinc it doesn't irritate my skin - yah! It really works for me, and I do believe because it was so easy to use and stayed on that I wore my sunscreen every day - which I don't always do unless it is in my moisturizer. Doesn't cause me to breakout, if I am in a rush works as both a sunscreen & some tint. Only problem it that if I use this alone now I am a bit older -and didn't use sunscreen while I was pregnant & breastfeeding to get some Vit. D's so got some skin damage- this has so much zinc in it that I look noticeably ghostly. I have to put something on top. The old 15 version had a couple of tones - one which was a much more skin matching tone that you could use if you wanted to skip makeup in the summer - which I often did.
Grumbles.
But still I think this is a great product works for me, and if they discontinue their City Block product line...I will sulk for weeks and mourn for years.

on 1/22/2012 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sunscreen is an issue with my very oily skin. Often, it left my face slick, even the oil free kind and was a terrible base for makeup. Finding this product was a gift!
As for price, sunscreen in general is quite pricy and decent brand face creams with sunscreen also run pretty pricey-yes this product's a bit costlier but it last a really long time. My last tube lasted me about 6 months-so that works out to about $45.00 a year for a high SPF, non-irritating, tinted cream.
I like Clinique but am not a major fan-they have a few okay products, so I'm not writing this as a product devotee-I'm writing it as a long time searcher for a great spf face product. I will continue to use this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I got a sample of this together with the turnaround body lotion as part of a gift my aunt gave me. I like mixing it in with my tinted moisturizer because I wanted to make sure to wear a goo amount of SPF in my daily face routine. And I love this! Most SPFs I've worn for my face tend to be too greasy and break me out a lot, so I stopped for a while. After getting this, I finally decided to give it a try. I like it so far, the consistency is definitely not greasy and it goes on very light, very much like a daily moisturizer. It easily gets absorbed into the skin and with the SPF40, I'm not complaining! :)

on 11/3/2011 11:29:00 PM

My HG daily sunscreen! I am soooo happy that I found this product b/c i was searching high and low for the perfect daily sunscreen and this is it! I've tried so many, a lot of them were way more expensive than this and this happens to be the best. It feels light, doesn't leave my face shiny or greasy and it actually makes my skin look better than before i put it on. It offers very slight coverage b/c it's tinted and it makes my skin look radiant and glowy. And the best part is that it has SPF 40 and it's a mineral sunscreen (contains zinc) so it's perfect for sensitive skin. When i first tried this i didn't like it very much b/c it would flake so much but the key is to put on a moisturizer or serum beforehand (I use Paula's choice Resist antioxidant serum) so that this could be applied smoothly and flawlessly. i hope they never discontinue this product!! I love it so much! I even got it for my sister.
**edit** Still loving this product so much, I came back to sing it praises. Btw Paula's choice lists this under best daily sunscreen.

on 10/25/2011 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product works well for me. I can wear it alone because of the light tint. I just brush on a bit of powder. I can also wear it along with my foundation. SPF 40 is great because I am outdoors quite a bit and I drive quite a bit.