MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

I love this foundation. It's a great coverage and makes my skin look flawless. Before I used this I used the Nars all day luminous weightless foundation. It's £11 cheaper then that and way better. I am shade nc15 and it is a perfect match. I would definitely buy this again. I like to apply it with a damp real techniques sponge, it makes it look a little more natural. I am oily combination and I usually get super oily through the day, not with this foundation though, I do set it with a powder. The only bad thing about this is the smell and it rubs off on my nose through the day. The packaging is nice, but the lid can get very messy.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I really dislike this foundation. It makes me so super oily and oxidizes like crazy. It isnt long wearing at all and feels thick on the face. The coverage is good but that is one of the only nice things about it. If you have oily skin i do not recomend this at all

In my many years of wearing foundation I have to say I have bought this foundation the most. I use to have fairly bad acne and acneprone skin and needed a full coverage foundation. I've used everything from Chanel to Nars to Maybelline and for a full coverage matte foundation and a good price MACs studio fix foundation has it all.

I'm surprise by the low reviews as I am so in love with this foundation!

A friend of mine recommended I try it and I was immediately hooked. It's flawless, matte and lasts all day (and night) and doesn't cause me to break out.

I moisturize, apply the foundation, concealer and MAC studio perfect compact, Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray and I'm all set for work from 8am till 11pm with only blotting my T-zone occasionally (I do not touch up my make up at all!). It's awesome for night out partying as well. My make up stays on from 11pm till 6am with no need for touch up.

I have really oily skin and this foundation really helps with the oil control and keeps me matte all day long.

Not sure if it's the setting spray that kept it on but I do forget to spray at times and it's still the same.

Would definitely get it again!

Love the feel of this foundation, not too thick and it doesn't run down your face. I also like how it gives you a tint of bronze color allowing me to use less bronzer powdeer.

So when I heard Mac came out with shade NW10 I was trilled, finally one pale enough. The formula is great goes on easily, but smells weird, the only problem I have is its not pale enough, so please bring out a NW5, maybe I'm related to casper?

Update note***
I know this review is a novel but for those who say this foundation is a mask and/or turns you orange- you are using too much!! Use less foundation. It's full coverage so you put a small amount, buff it out completely into the skin, then build more if necessary.
_________________________________________

This foundation carries a certain amount of nostalgia for me-- it was my first "high end" foundation- when I decided to take a step up from my revlon CS. The smell is strong but to me it's almost like a drug-- it reminds me of my first hit of "mac" lol.

This is a super thick, super matte foundation that reminded me more of paint than of makeup when I first bought it. I definitely found there was a learning curve to using this stuff. I couldn't effortlessly slap it on my face like I could with CS. With this stuff you apply SMALL dots bc it's pigmented as hell, take a brush and blend blend BLEND!!

This foundation when applied correctly can seriously make me look flawless like no foundation I've ever tried (I've tried into the hundreds). As far as high end foundations run this is one of the least expensive at $27-- so that makes it all the more appealing as it performs PHENOMENALLY for its intents and purposes.

Con:
Since it is so pigmented, the color ranges are not at all forgiving. If you don't have an exact match, this will simply not look right on you. There are no neutral shades, not even a little. The nc are super yellow in tone while the nw are very pink. So if you have more of a beige or neutral cast to your skin, you are SIL. I was once wearing this in nc15 in late November at an apple orchard. Someone snapped a picture of me in natural daylight and omg I dont think I ever wanted to run home and wash my makeup off SO badly. I was straight up yellow. And the incredibly matte finish combined with the harsh dry wind made my face look dry, dehydrated and highlighted EVERY last flaw.

For this reason I switched to Mac matchmaster for fall and winter if I desire a matte foundation. Shade 1 is a more neutral nc15 type of shade. It's actually a perfect match for my dead of winter skintone. Also the finish is a Demi matte- so it keeps my face shine free without look dehydrated and gross.

Hard lesson learned I CANNOT use SFF in colder months-- not only is it too much of a matte finish but the color match is HORRIBLE when it does not match your skin tone like exactly.

Pros:
BUT this foundation is my shining star for the summer. I learned that in summer I basically either want a water thin almost skinlike finish- That will sweat off gracefully as the day wears (MAC face and body). Or I want a bullet proof flawless matte foundation that will hide every dot of sweat and imperfection all day long. That is studio fix.

I have Mediterranean skin so although I am fair and avoid the sun, I magically transform into an nc20 after like the first hot day of the year. I prep with an oil controlling moisturizer, prime with SMASHBOX photo finish, a personal favorite of mine. Then go in with the SFF. I put tiny dots and literally work in sections: chin, extending out to jawline, peripherals of my face. I sort of start outward and work inward bc the inner of my face needs the most coverage so I do that last so I can determine how much I need to build up coverage. My acne scarring doesn't even need concealer when i am done. I take a small dab of PLW concealer in nw20 (I find nc20 gives a highlighted look which I don't like. I want to conceal so I use nw20). I pat this under my eyes. Set with Mac mineralize loose powder and I am flawless for literally an entire day. Running errands in the hot heat with a toddler in tow, I at least *look* like I have everything under control.

The summer heat allows this to blend with my skin flawlessly and my fine lines and pores cease to exist all day long until I wash it off at night.

This truly is magic in a bottle..... But summer only for me!

*UPDATE** 10/15

Fall again! I don't know what I was saying bc whipping out Mac matchmaster this fall, I found it WAY more matte, prone to caking, and making my face look dull.

I am back on SFF. I am paler so have been mixing nc15 with nc20 to get a perfect match. I could probably get away with just nc15, but I am very fair as is, so I look sickly if I make myself even more fair.

I haven't been setting with powder bc the weather is cooler, and the foundation sits nicely, but at times get more matte actually throughout the day and starts going into lines and pores.

On a whim I picked up the maybelline matte and poreless (it was $6). I got th lightest shade which was wayyyyy too light and too pink and grey.

After realizing it wasn't going to work I mixed it w a copious amount of nc20 SFF. Like maybe 75% SFF and 25% maybelline. I may have to tweak the formula but this looks great!

Natural finish, controlled oil but not overly matte, my pores and lines really do look smaller! My crappy skin issues are well covered!

I am liking this mix a lot. I also set this with Mac cc in neutralize (a yellow powder) to take out even more of the unwanted pink tone.

I wish the maybelline had a match for me so I could try it alone-- but alas this is why I diverted away from the ds to begin with. All the fair shades are super pink and the golden undertoned ones are super tan.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I'm in two minds with this foundation. I absolutely love the look it gives you, it makes your skin appear flawless and it easily blends in your face. However, I have really oily skin (mainly in my T-Zone) and oh my this foundation likes to show it. It makes me literally look like i've rubbed my face in baby oil. I have used many primers, setting sprays and powders however after a few hours (2-3) it just tends to let all my oil show. This is what lets me down about it, other than that the foundation is beautiful and does give you the flawless look. The packaging consists of a 30ml bottle WITHOUT a pump (you have to get this separate) which also lets this product down. Overall, if you have a normal skin tone/dry I recommend this for you, but for us oily girls out there I'm afraid this does nothing for us!

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Wow this product has changed the way I view MAC. I've always had bad experiences with MAC products, but this foundation is absolutely amazing. But it's not for everyone, let me explain... I naturally have incredibly pale skin so I normally wear NARS foundation. But because I've been self tanning a lot lately I decided to look into some cheaper foundations. That's why I went to MAC. I picked up this foundation (in NC40) and went home to try it on. I used the beauty blender to apply it and the first thing I noticed is how thick the foundation was. I only needed a few drops of it to cover my entire face. It gave me full coverage. It made my face look flawless. I've worn it several times now and it has not made me break out.
There are 2 things I did not like about this foundation: The first thing is the bottle it comes in. It's a glass container so it's hard to get all the product out. The second thing is that this foundation does not have a matte finish. I had to apply my loose setting powder in order to get rid of the "shine" on my face.

I would not recommend this foundation if you have pale skin. A friend of mine has pale skin and used to wear this product, her face always looked a bit orange. Luckily she stopped using it. That's why I only use this product when I tan.

Breaks me out but I come back to this one time and time again. I just never get the same finish with other foundations regardless of what I do! So I'll deal with a few spots for this one!!