April 20, 2014 | 1956 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Avene - Cicalfate Creme restauratrice

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by badchix84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Does this stuff actually work? I'm not so sure if it does. I went to this high-end drugstore one day because I needed something to alleviate my staph/impetigo scars and scratches I got. A nice, helpful lady gave me a generous sample so my skin could get better within a couple weeks. I'm on day 11 on this stuff, and although I am getting better, I can't honestly say that it's because of this cream. I've been surfing the internet high and low to find reviews on this product and about 98% of them are raving about it. The other 2 percent say that it doesn't really work...I'm beginning to believe that it doesn't.
When I looked through the website, I saw the before (Day 1) and after (Day 14) pics of the skin injuries...being on Day 11, I can tell you I am FAR from looking like the effects reported on Day 14. Anyone who would be looking at my face might think I should be on Day 5 or 7. Not only is this product slightly disappointing, but it's also really difficult to find in the states (since it's a European product) and it's pricey ($23 USD for a skinny, small tube)! Anyway, I'm still getting better, but I think by the time my sample runs out, I'm just going to regularly moisturize and use sunblock until the scars fade off and scratches heal on their own.

Update after 15 days: Okay, I'm really not impressed with the results. Ladies, do yourself a favor and invest in a cheaper alternative such as Neosporin or Aquaphor. Better yet, try an oil-free moisturizer packed with sunscreen over buying this stuff. The key to healing your skin is to moisturize like an OCD maniac and protect your skin from the sun, not spend it on expensive creams/lotions that take a while to work (I obviously need to listen to my common sense more).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2009 4:11:00 AM More reviews by iris82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really like this product, allways keep one in the house, perfect for fading fresh and sometimes old scars away.
First tried it on a reddish herpes scar an outbreak left me under my lips. Didn't think it was going to work, after all it is was only a cheap pharmaceutical product, but luckily the ugly mark went away completely.
I feel so confident about this product that I don't even get stressed when I see a little scar or irritation, I know cicalfate is going to take care of it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2009 1:48:00 AM More reviews by blondiegoodlooks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After overdoing it with chemical peels on my arms, the skin broke out in little red bumps, red/irritated and peeling skin, etc etc. I learned my lesson, so I decided to buy some of this based on the reviews here.

I can't offer much in the way of helpful advice, but all I can say is that after twice-daily application for three days, I see minimal improvement. It's getting better, that's for sure, but I doubt it wouldn't have improved this much had I just used Aquaphor and/or hydrocortisone.

In short, I think if you can afford to give it a try just for the heck of it, go ahead and try it, otherwise I would save your money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2008 9:49:00 PM More reviews by terriv13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using Renova once a week, and while it is working and doing it's job like it's supposed to, I've had big problems with dryness and flaking along with some redness. I've tried just about everything, and was about ready to abandon the Renova, until I read about the Avene line here on MUA (as always, my bible that never let's me down!). I ordered the Cicalfate for night and the Cream for Intolerant Skin for daytime, and, wow am I impressed!! I waited for a few days before writing my review, as I tend to get too over-excited about something, and then have to eat crow when it backfires on me.... So, I've put the Cicalfate on sparingly every night, using more on the night that I use the Renova, and I've had FAR, FAR less flaking and irritation. If I do get a little flaking, I just dab some of this on, and it's soothed and gone. It allows me to use a gentle scrub to help with the exfoliation process from the Renova without further irritating my skin. I'm soooo happy!! Thanks again, MUA!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 6:15:00 PM More reviews by TeaMonkey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I always keep this stuff in the house. I'm on my umpteenth tube.

Great for fresh wounds and fresh scars. It makes them heal faster and makes scars less noticeable. Some of my fresh acne scars faded away completely and very fast. It can sting, but only occasionally and I'm not sure why that is.
I had a breakout on one occasion from it, but never before or since.

It has a very rich texture, so you only need a very small amount. One tube lasts a long time, even if I apply it to my entire face.

I started using it as an overnight moisturizer, paired with Diacneal. It made all of my acne scars, old and new, dissapear or fade so they are barely noticeable. I don't need foundation anymore.

Do be careful, it can cause breakouts, but don't chuck it if it does, use it on wounds and scars.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2008 3:26:00 PM More reviews by mtoy

I bought this a few years ago not knowing what really to use it for. I tried it on minor skin irritations - wow - it's very soothing and adds a protective layer. Lately I've been going through an attack of dermatitis and nothing would work. I found my tube of Cicalfate, applied it and the area was immediately soothed and calmed. It only needs to be applied a couple times a day and disappears into the skin nicely. I don't ever want to be without it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2008 8:45:00 PM More reviews by dilllll90

I usually like avene products although they had some really bad ones too. I wanted to like this product because my face felt so soft and supple and glossy shiny after applying it. The cream is thick white color and kind of thick to apply, but it's easy to rub on and melts within skin contact. It never caused iciness, unlike some other skincare I've tried. I guess this is due to sulfur content that's supposed to kill bacteria.

with all the wonders it deliver, it broke me out. I don't get it. It's supposed to be for after facial treatment. Is it too rich in ingredients or what? It broke me out 1st time, I consider maybe because of weather change, it broke me out 2nd time, I thought it maybe my period hormonal stuff. Now it broke me third time with no weather factors or change of hormones. I know it does not work for me. It left my cheeks, esp. the area nearest to nose, some tiny white milias.
invisibal under sunlight but disgusting to look in bathroom, I found that if I stopped using its, those things would dissapear in two days.

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2008 4:27:00 PM More reviews by kolokithaki

You should always keep a tube of this in the house. It solves any minor skin ailment amazingly fast. I even used it on my sons bum when he was a baby with nappy rash. Excellent and healing spots that you couldn't leave alone!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2008 11:02:00 PM More reviews by Lenna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I rarely rave about products but this one I can't stop talking about. I did 2 TCA peels in the last couple of weeks and this cream which I used after the peels completely calms and neutralizes the redness/sensitivity and best of all it does not clog my acne-prone skin. I can put a thick layer and go to bed and I wake up with calm glowing skin. I don't think there's a better recovery cream out there for after chemicals peels. I absolutely recommend this product - not as a daily moisturizer - it's too thick and concentrated for a daily cream but for post-chemical peels or whenever your skin's irritated from any product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2008 11:55:00 AM More reviews by blondeambitioned

I really have to rave about this product - one MUAer recommended this for use after a chemical peel, and it really has worked wonders. I was nervous about using this on my oily, acne-prone skin since it contains mineral oil and is pretty thick - but this causes hardly any breakouts at all. Really soothes the skin and keeps it protected during the recovery process. My post-chemical peel swelling and redness has really gone down and it heals breakouts as well. I did notice that the water seperates from the cream in the tube - it's better to squeeze this into your palm and "mix" the two together before you apply. I tried this on my eczema but it did not help at all - actually made it worse! Only negative thing I could say about this product - it really is worth the money.