December 21, 2014 | 1789 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 1 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:33:00 PM More reviews by finzi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

***EDIT***

My original review (written after using the product for two months) is below the dash line.

After using this for several months, my skin started to become slightly irritated, red and tight. After a process of elimination I realised it was the C serum. I tried using a lower concentration but still wasn't happy, so I investigated other options. I'm now using C Boost by 302 Skincare and am much happier.

Previously, I was surprised by people reporting irritation caused by homemade C serums, but now of course I'm one of them! I think the problem was the form of C (in this case, L-Ascorbic acid). The C Boost uses a different form of vitamin C and appears to be working much better for me. I've been using it for a month and when I've been using it a little longer I'll write a separate review.

---------------------

I can only reiterate the high praise heaped by other reviewers upon this simple little wonder! It evens my skin tone, makes my skin radiant and fresh, and I wouldn't be without it. I make up a 5% solution with water and sometimes some chamomile water (this is available from lots of aromatherapy stockists). I mix half a teaspoon C powder with 10 teaspoons liquid (I use 5 tsps water and 5 tsps chamomile water).

In response to the unfortunate reviewers who have had problems with dryness and irritation, I have two pieces of advice. First of all, a 5% solution is quite sufficient if you are unable to tolerate anything higher. Second, vitamin C is said to stay in the skin for two to three days, so you need only apply every two to three days. If I applied my C serum every day I expect my skin would go berserk!

A homemade C serum is the cheapest and most effective way to give your skin a gentle boost. I use it in conjunction with my vitamin A cream (I use one made by Environ, but there are lots of options) and my skin has never looked better.

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by dc1407

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought some Vitamin C powder to mix with glycerin to use as a night serum. It made my skin feel amazingly soft, but the glycerin made my face too dewy.

I now mix Vitamin C powder + water, popped into a spray bottle and use as a toner after cleansing... and it makes the world of difference. Have been complimented on my glowing skin so often!

Best to make small batches often as opposed to making a large batch because it works better when it's fresh and it doesn't keep very well (I store it in the fridge to be on the safe side).

If you've never made your own beauty products, you must try! I've been making a lot of them because I'm trying to use more natural/organic products and I find that homemade ones definitely work the best as they're not laden with preservatives, they're cheaper than buying ready-made and usually the products can be found in your kitchen.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Amie99

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had a terrible skin infection last year that left some bad scars on my arms and face. I tried everything to make them better, but nothing seemed to work. My skin on my arms started looking like lizard skin. I was desperate, so I read that vitamin C serum was really good at removing scars and discoloration, so I looked for a homemade recipe and VOILA! I used the 10% solution with plain distilled water, because any kind of glycerin or oil breaks my skin out, even at my age. I put it on my arms and face with a cotton swab, but it didn't seem to do anything for my arms at all. I then read about a "mask" which only used a tablespoon of the Vit C powder and 1/2 tbsp of water, so did that, but it wouldn't dissolve. I put it on my arms, then put some coconut oil on and used it like a scrub. I then let it sit on my arms for about 45 minutes and rinsed it off. You wouldn't believe how smooth my arms are. It's not the coconut oil because I use that every day and my arms are still rough. I'm going to continue to use the 10% toner mixture on my face, although I may mix it with witch hazel instead of just water. I'll do the "mask" scrub on my arms every night and see what happens. I'm going to try to leave it on my arms for an hour at least.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

LOVE LOVE an easy DIY that is really inexpensive and performs as well as the much more expensive products out there! About me: mid 40s w/ combo skin (slightly oiler t-zone, slightly drier cheeks) w/ slight subtype I rosacea (blushing) on cheeks, nose, chin, not really prone to breakouts unless TTOTM.

I read in awe and with a slight sense of envy all those reviews and articles out there about DIY products - most of the time, I don't have the patience to delve into this process. BUT, this one totally intrigued me (even though at first it intimidated me because there are so many variations out there.) After wading thru many many reviews and postings + getting some very helpful info from the SKB, I finally figured out the simplest and what I feel to be most effective formula for me.

I purchased a bottle of the Vitamin C powder from Whole Foods, an 8 oz dark brown bottle w/ screw top (the 4 oz was sold out) some basic KY jelly (the one in the blue tube w/ only a few ingredients). I purchased a roll of PH papers from Amazon (for cheap). I already had a brown dropper bottle from MUAC that I cleaned out + I already had Thayers Rose Toner.

I started out at 10% concentration and applied every a.m. After a few weeks, I upped it to 20% and ph continues to hover at 3 or less. My recipe: 3 tsp toner; 1 tsp KY; 1 tsp vitamin C.

I put in a couple of days worth into my brown dropper bottle that I keep w/ the rest of my skincare stuff under my sink. The rest I store in my bigger brown bottle in the fridge and refill to my dropper bottle as needed.

No skin irritation, no breakouts, starting to see a reduction in my melasma spots, am spending WAY less $$, easy to make = what's not to love? :)

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2013 8:07:00 PM More reviews by sk_london2003

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Regular use of this homemade vitamin C serum at night, plus Argan oil as a facial moisturizer during the day and the Indian Aztec clay mask once a week has changed the texture and tone of my skin in as little as 2 months.

My skin feels like it can 'breath' and all the congestion and old pigmentation marks are almost gone.. I have a glow and for the first time in 7 years left the house without a stitch of foundation... this serum is a serious miracle and so cheap.. this is a product the big skincare giants do not want you to know about!

Spread the word ladies!!

There are plenty of recipes online, I just use vitamin C powder and Glycerin with water, and store in a brown glass bottle with a dropper.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by NotoriousCharity

Was excited to kiss goodbye super expensive serums and make my own. First I brought 100% argan oil since itís chock full of vitamin E, it was perfect to mix with a pinch of vitamin C powder and a few drops of distilled water to make the homemade vitamin C serum. I used the Now Vitamin C ascorbic acid powder. I also used either a 1.5 or 0.5 dermaroller beforehand before applying so the serum penetrates deeper. And I love the serum for making my skin more even, fine lines and scars are fading and my freckles are lightening. Definitely recommend.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ugghh.....This was the beginning of the end for my skin, meaning it turned my skin into a total hot mess for weeks on end. I made a 10% solution. The first day I used it, my skin turned a bit red, but nothing major. After the second day, my skin was a bit sensitive. Each day I used it, my skin became progressively worse. Even after I stopped using it after a few days, my skin became more and more sensitive and broke out in a painful rash with hives all over my face. Nothing I use can calm the irritation. This was the worst reaction I've had in quite a long time. At least I know now that my skin HATES Vitamin C in large doses.

10 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by matteam92

I got 1000 mg vitamin c pills the other day because I was feeling like I was starting to get sick. I remembered that I saw this homemade vitamin c serum on here when I was browsing so I ground some up and added a little water. That night after my shower I put some on my face (warning: it stings) The next morning my face was glowing. I didn't even put makeup on and felt beautiful(note I also started using lush full of grace serum today) This serum is like lemon juicex1000. My pores look smaller, the texture of my skin looks amazing, and the tone is more even.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2012 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Kat2004

I've been mixing vitamin c powder with my regular moisturizer for the past few weeks and i've noticed a significant difference in my skin. It's more toned, even, redness is reduced and most importantly CLEAR! I haven't had more than a couple tiny quick healing pimples since I started using this stuff. I battle with random cystic pimples around my chin which leave scars and even this has helped reduce the marks left behind. I'll continue to use this in hopes that it keeps working for me.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 11:35:00 AM More reviews by rachelleanita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used The Body Shop's vitamin C serum which was ok, but I never saw a huge difference. I read about homemade serums and bought a big bag of the powder off of Ebay for super cheap. Make sure it's the pure, real stuff! I make just a teeny bit at a time because it doesn't work well when it isn't fresh, and I put it in a dark amber dropper bottle and keep it in the fridge.

After about a week of using it, I realized my skin was super clear, glowy, and even toned. The only thing I changed was the addition of this, so it has to be from the vitamin C! I only use it in the morning, and I haven't found any glycerin so I mixed it with water instead and use it like a toner. It may tingle or lightly sting for a second, but it doesn't irritate my skin. Once it's completely soaked in I put on my moisturizer. This is a permanent addition to my skincare regimine, and I think it's a necessity for everybody. Don't waste your money on products that don't even work as well as this pure and cheap homemade potion. I will be upping the potency next time I make it.

This link has a lot of information about making your own serum and a great recipe guide:

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No