October 31, 2014 | 1403 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

LOVE LOVE an easy DIY that is really inexpensive and performs as well as the much more expensive products out there! About me: mid 40s w/ combo skin (slightly oiler t-zone, slightly drier cheeks) w/ slight subtype I rosacea (blushing) on cheeks, nose, chin, not really prone to breakouts unless TTOTM.

I read in awe and with a slight sense of envy all those reviews and articles out there about DIY products - most of the time, I don't have the patience to delve into this process. BUT, this one totally intrigued me (even though at first it intimidated me because there are so many variations out there.) After wading thru many many reviews and postings + getting some very helpful info from the SKB, I finally figured out the simplest and what I feel to be most effective formula for me.

I purchased a bottle of the Vitamin C powder from Whole Foods, an 8 oz dark brown bottle w/ screw top (the 4 oz was sold out) some basic KY jelly (the one in the blue tube w/ only a few ingredients). I purchased a roll of PH papers from Amazon (for cheap). I already had a brown dropper bottle from MUAC that I cleaned out + I already had Thayers Rose Toner.

I started out at 10% concentration and applied every a.m. After a few weeks, I upped it to 20% and ph continues to hover at 3 or less. My recipe: 3 tsp toner; 1 tsp KY; 1 tsp vitamin C.

I put in a couple of days worth into my brown dropper bottle that I keep w/ the rest of my skincare stuff under my sink. The rest I store in my bigger brown bottle in the fridge and refill to my dropper bottle as needed.

No skin irritation, no breakouts, starting to see a reduction in my melasma spots, am spending WAY less $$, easy to make = what's not to love? :)

24 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2013 8:07:00 PM More reviews by sk_london2003

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Regular use of this homemade vitamin C serum at night, plus Argan oil as a facial moisturizer during the day and the Indian Aztec clay mask once a week has changed the texture and tone of my skin in as little as 2 months.

My skin feels like it can 'breath' and all the congestion and old pigmentation marks are almost gone.. I have a glow and for the first time in 7 years left the house without a stitch of foundation... this serum is a serious miracle and so cheap.. this is a product the big skincare giants do not want you to know about!

Spread the word ladies!!

There are plenty of recipes online, I just use vitamin C powder and Glycerin with water, and store in a brown glass bottle with a dropper.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by NotoriousCharity

Was excited to kiss goodbye super expensive serums and make my own. First I brought 100% argan oil since itís chock full of vitamin E, it was perfect to mix with a pinch of vitamin C powder and a few drops of distilled water to make the homemade vitamin C serum. I used the Now Vitamin C ascorbic acid powder. I also used either a 1.5 or 0.5 dermaroller beforehand before applying so the serum penetrates deeper. And I love the serum for making my skin more even, fine lines and scars are fading and my freckles are lightening. Definitely recommend.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ugghh.....This was the beginning of the end for my skin, meaning it turned my skin into a total hot mess for weeks on end. I made a 10% solution. The first day I used it, my skin turned a bit red, but nothing major. After the second day, my skin was a bit sensitive. Each day I used it, my skin became progressively worse. Even after I stopped using it after a few days, my skin became more and more sensitive and broke out in a painful rash with hives all over my face. Nothing I use can calm the irritation. This was the worst reaction I've had in quite a long time. At least I know now that my skin HATES Vitamin C in large doses.

10 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by matteam92

I got 1000 mg vitamin c pills the other day because I was feeling like I was starting to get sick. I remembered that I saw this homemade vitamin c serum on here when I was browsing so I ground some up and added a little water. That night after my shower I put some on my face (warning: it stings) The next morning my face was glowing. I didn't even put makeup on and felt beautiful(note I also started using lush full of grace serum today) This serum is like lemon juicex1000. My pores look smaller, the texture of my skin looks amazing, and the tone is more even.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2012 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Kat2004

I've been mixing vitamin c powder with my regular moisturizer for the past few weeks and i've noticed a significant difference in my skin. It's more toned, even, redness is reduced and most importantly CLEAR! I haven't had more than a couple tiny quick healing pimples since I started using this stuff. I battle with random cystic pimples around my chin which leave scars and even this has helped reduce the marks left behind. I'll continue to use this in hopes that it keeps working for me.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 11:35:00 AM More reviews by rachelleanita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used The Body Shop's vitamin C serum which was ok, but I never saw a huge difference. I read about homemade serums and bought a big bag of the powder off of Ebay for super cheap. Make sure it's the pure, real stuff! I make just a teeny bit at a time because it doesn't work well when it isn't fresh, and I put it in a dark amber dropper bottle and keep it in the fridge.

After about a week of using it, I realized my skin was super clear, glowy, and even toned. The only thing I changed was the addition of this, so it has to be from the vitamin C! I only use it in the morning, and I haven't found any glycerin so I mixed it with water instead and use it like a toner. It may tingle or lightly sting for a second, but it doesn't irritate my skin. Once it's completely soaked in I put on my moisturizer. This is a permanent addition to my skincare regimine, and I think it's a necessity for everybody. Don't waste your money on products that don't even work as well as this pure and cheap homemade potion. I will be upping the potency next time I make it.

This link has a lot of information about making your own serum and a great recipe guide:

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2012 1:01:00 AM More reviews by soccergirl272

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If only I could figure out how to make this right... Maybe after my chem class is over;)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by lipstickland

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ooooo my gosh!!! Run to the store and buy Vitamin C crystals right now guys. It might say Ascorbic Acid crystals. Its the same thing. This product is absolutely amazing! I was so upset because I started to notice some not so fine lines under my eyes and between my brows. Being only 28, this bothered me. I tried several different things and this did the trick. There are all different ways that you can make the serum.. I did a lot of research and I know the most important thing is to make it fresh every time in the palm of your hand because the vit c oxidizes rapidly. Also, it is key to mix it with vitamin E as that is when it is most effective. What I have done, that seems to work best is this:

pour a little olive oil (which contains vit E) or oil from a vit E capsule in the palm of my hand

add a little purified water

add a pinch of the vit C crystals

rub it in so that the crystals absorb

apply the serum all over. concentrate on areas of concern.

Hope this helps pretty ladies! Also I wanted to add that Rosehip seed oil and taking omega 3 oils with high dha content has helped my skin dramatically. (make sure you NEVER supplement with omega 6's or 9's as we get plenty of those in the diet already and they are immflamatory)

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 9:44:00 PM More reviews by bixbailey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been making C serum for a few years, based on a recipe from EDS. It helps fade post-acne pigmentation, gives a luminescence to the skin, and has a firming effect. My mom has been using it as well and always comments about its effectiveness. Like most, I buy supplies online and keep the serum refrigerated in amber bottles. Definitely recommend.