Shiseido Majolica Majorca Lash Expander

4.3

11-12 Isoparaffin, Dextrin Palmitate, Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, CI 77449, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Sucrose Tetrastearate Triacetate, Microcrystalline Wax, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Water, Sucrose Tetrastearate, PEG-20 Hydrogenated Castor Oil Triisostearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Trimethylsiloxysilylcarbamoyl Pullulan, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Tocopherol.

on 6/24/2009 7:55:00 AM

I just got this mascara after looking at a ton of reviews on beauty blogs, and oh my god, this stuff is insanely awesome. It's one of my favorite mascaras, and the price is amazing.

1) Holds curls like woah. With my stick straight Asian lashes, I thought for years that buying mascara was all but useless--I've bought so many mascaras at so many different prices that simply never held the curl--they would always weigh down my lashes and make them all gross and clumpy, but never actually make them look nice and feathery. For Asian eyes, I think this is the most important quality a mascara should have, as there is no point if you have thick, voluminous lashes that no one can actually see because they are stick straight, sometimes even pointing down.

2) Lasts forever, through almost anything. I really don't get why people are complaining about this. Waterproof mascaras are mostly oil, silicon, and wax based, so you need an oily substance to remove it. My suggestion is to get a good, oil-based makeup remover and soak a cotton ball in it. Then, place it on your lashes for a little bit--there's no point in roughly rubbing your lashes with the cotton ball immediatly. Just let the solution soak through and gently rub it after a minute or so of soaking.

3) It's very flexible--use it alone for really long, separated lashes or use it on the tips of your lashes after a voluminizing mascara to enhance the first one.

4) Makes bottom lashes POP. So much better than any other lengthening mascara I've tried.

5) Reasonably priced. Not a $27 mascara like Givenchey, Dior or YSL. A couple bucks more than drugstore. Worth every penny.

6) I think the applicator is nice. I really don't use the blunter side with less teeth to put on the mascara, as I think the side with more teeth is sufficient. Takes getting used to, but you get so much more precision compared to normal, huge spoolies.

Phew. Glad I got all that out. Ignore the negative reviews--just take your time taking this stuff off and buy a nicer, OIL-BASED makeup remover with the money you saved from not buying a high-end, $30 mascara.

on 6/18/2009 3:37:00 AM

I love this mascara! It gives me great lashes - full, long and separated, keeps the curl up for the whole day and never smudges on me. I have really watery eyes which meant that many mascaras would flake and smudge after a few hours, however majolica's lash expander has never ever done that (even after crying). It comes off easily with the Loreal's waterproof eye makeup remover and Loreal's cashmere makeup remover. This is an awesome mascara, worth every single cent.

on 6/17/2009 12:44:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I really do love this mascara. I've been using it for a year. I thought I was in love with loreal panoramic curl (it fanned out my lashes and kept the curl in).. then I switched to Diorshow expecting more volume (hated it since it didn't keep a curl and didn't lengthen)... and then I switched to Fiberwig, which I loved, but hated that it didn't give me the volume and curling power I wanted.

This mascara is a total godsend. The comb applicator is much more precise and easy to work with than those regular fat brushes that would probably work best on long, full lashes (not short Asian lashes like mine). This mascara especially works best on the bottom lashes. It takes a bit of effort to take off (like everyone said below) but I think it's totally worth it. I bought the Shiseido mascara base so I'm going to start using it with that to see if it boosts the effects. I also bought YSl Faux Cils and did one of my eyes for comparison with the other eye, using Majolica alone. The one with Majolica looks WAY longer, but the YSL looks like I have more lashes (more separation). Nonetheless, I will choose Majolica over any mascara I have tried.

on 5/30/2009 5:21:00 PM

During a recent trip to Japan I tried this mascara out after reading positive reviews. Even though people stated clearly over and over again that this mascara has "staying power" I was skeptical and assumed it would easily come off with some makeup remover and oil cleanser. Well...let me backtrack. I loved this mascara when applied. It made my eyelashes super long and I felt glamorous wearing this stuff over my typical Maybelline. Then I got back to my hotel after a day of hoofing it around southern Japan, and despite the humidity and my sweating, my lashes still looked perfect. Great! I contemplated buying a few more tubes before coming home. That is, until I tried removing it. I washed my face and nothing happened. I used makeup remover and a bit of the mascara started flaking off in chunks. I scrubbed a bit harder with a super creamy body wash, and more of the mascara came off (still in little chunky flakes) and proceeded to get all over my cheeks. Yet after rinsing, there was STILL mascara on my eyelashes and now all over my face. I then proceeded to pull or rub off the mascara off my lashes just so I could finally get to bed and not wake up with black flakes burning my eyeballs. This still did not entirely remove the mascara, and I noticed over the next two or three days an occasional flake of mascara would appear under my eyes after washing up. Based on how hard this stuff is to remove, I tossed my 1250 yen tube of mascara. I loved how it looked, but hated how hard I had to work to get it off.

on 5/29/2009 7:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I would buy this again if I can find it.

It's my favourite mascara.

The tips don't curl the wrong way when they dry, it stays in the shape that you applied it.

I only recommend this to asians. People with long lashes already probably can't use this anyway.

Wow I'm really surprised by all the negative reviews of this product! A friend of mines mother went to Japan on a business trip and brought back several tubes...she gave one to me, and I just started using it and woowww...I LOVE IT. It's probably one of the best mascara's I've used...it and Covergirl Volume Exact are my absolute favorites...this IS difficult to get off, that's completely true...but I've found that the best thing to take it off is Lancome Bi-Facil (for sensitive eyes, I think...but I don't think that matters).
Anyway this is fabulous...it's the first mascara I've used that had the comb applicator, which took some getting used to...generally I prefer the rubber brush, but the comb is pretty cool...so if you can get it, I totally recommend buying and trying:D

on 3/30/2009 8:45:00 AM

this mascara has the best staying power ihave ever encountered, which can be a good thing for many people, but for me, im pretty sure i scrubbed out a few of my own lashes trying to get this out :( and i was using an oil based remover as well...
as for length and volume, this product pretty much sucks. you have try to wipe off that excess fibre and mascara from the applicator before you apply otherwise you have waterproof prickly fibres stuck in your eyes for eternity :( this product is no good for me. the only thing its got going for itself is the staying power.

on 3/28/2009 9:27:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I took the extra step to order this mascara together with the new Lash base from an online website (Bobodave) about 3 years ago. And I have to say..I dislike this mascara. And of course I'll tell you why.

1) The comb applicator is abit awkward to use. Unlike other comb applicators, this comb only has bristles in one direction. Okay basically its like a hair comb? I am never a fan of comb mascaras because I much prefer the normal traditional mascara wand which in my opinion gives better results, for me anyway.

2) Secondly the finish is glossy like a reviewer just said. For me, not a fan of mascara that is too glossy. It doesnt work for me during the day.

3) Its too hard to remove even with baby oil/ Lancome bi facil eye makeup remover. Waterproof mascara is also not good for your lashes. With this mascara I find that my lashes become really really stiff and crunchy? It also stings my eyes slightly if I wear it too long.

In short, I will definitely not be repurchasing this because I find that other drugstore mascaras such as L'oreal voluminous and Max factor 2000 calories work much better for me.

UPDATE 27/7/2010: I recently purchased the latest version ' Lash Expander Frame Plus' and I have been loving it so far! I think the trick is to get used to using the wand applicator. If used correctly it gives me insanely long lush lashes! Also, I very much prefer the new one compared to the older version as I feel that this one does not leave my lashes crunchy. I also find that I am able to remove this mascara easily by using L'oreal gentle eye makeup remover. I am giving this mascara 5 stars because it is reasonably priced for a drugstore mascara and I definitely will repurchase this when I run out! Great value for $$$.

on 3/4/2009 7:56:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

YES! i love this mascara! the comb applicator takes a longer time with application, but it saves you so much time in the long run, because you don't need to get the clumps out after. why? THERE AREN'T ANY! this gives my little asian lashes the most amazing length ever! they look so long! the texture of this mascara is almost like a gel, smooth and slightly liquidy, but not runny. there are little fibers throughout the formula that attach themselves onto your natural lashes to give extra length. this lasts all day long with ZERO smudging, flaking or drooping. when applied, lashes aren't very soft, but they are not brittle either. somewhere in between. beware, this mascara is one of the hardest mascaras to remove that i have ever come across! you must. use. a makeup remover! if you're looking for a more effortless removal, you must use an oil based remover! otherwise, you have to keep working at it for a bit when taking it off. also, be careful with the application! once you get this onto your eyelid, it's not coming off unless you swab it with some makeup remover. also, this mascara will not give you any volume whatsoever, so you have to layer it with another mascara for volume. i personally layer this with loreal's voluminous or mac plushlash for a full out dramatic fan of lashes. of course, the packaging is absolutely GORGEOUS. majolica majorca packaging gets me every time... *sigh*

on 2/19/2009 11:36:00 PM

I usually have a bias towards higher end products but with mascara, I believe when you find the right one, price isn't as big a determining quality factor (unlike foundations and powders). After all, mascara should be thrown out every 3 months so I would prefer if my mascara didn't cost a bomb.

Majolica Majorca is hands down, the BEST mascara I've ever used for my straight, sparse, short (alliteration, anyone?) eyelashes. I've tried other Japanese mascaras (Canmake - too drying and clumping, Dejavu Fiberwig - unspectacular results), American mascaras (L'oreal and Maybelline doing squat), European Mascaras (YSL Fauxcils - too big a brush and heavily fragranced, Bourjois Pump up the volume - good but not spectacular results).

Majorlica Mascara is somehow waterproof but doesn't dry out and make your lashes all clumpy. They still feel soft and look fairly glossy (some people may not like this). The fibers in this product means I get unbelievably long lashes! Used with my Shu Uemura curler, I can actually see my lashes when I look straight into the mirror (they usually just point slightly downward). This mascara also holds a curl very well with no drooping throughout the day. But a waterprood mascara means you have to use a proper oil-based eye makeup remover. I use Shu Uemura's cleansing oil and it works like a charm! :)

This is a comb wand, rather than a brush wand. Some people have problems with comb wands but I personally prefer a comb than a brush wand. It somehow works better on me. I feel I get more length AND volume whenever I use a comb brush (hence why I prefer this over the black Neo version of this mascara).

Lastly, this is cheap at about RM40 (can't remember, which is about 8, or US$10)! Like I said, hands down, the best mascara I've used thus far!

Top Rated Shiseido Products