April 19, 2014 | 1086 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2007 5:05:00 PM More reviews by Sheep73

I've spent years ruining my hair with chemical dyes - til I used Lush Henna.

After a bit of trial and error I now use two squares of Marron and one of Noir. It gives a perfect dark chestnutty auburn colour.

However the downside is all the hassle.

Firstly I find it best to grate the block first. You don't have to - it contains cocoa butter and will melt down with the boiling water, but not always successfully. Then, after slapping on the resulting hot green goo onto my hair (and my skin..the bathroom floor...my towels....my feet....!) I then have several hours (at least four) of sitting about with cling film around my head, praying no-one will knock at the door!).

Then there's the rinsing. It takes ages and produces more mess.

But in the end it's SO worth it. My hair is the best condition it's been in for years. I'm trying to grow it at the moment and I'm sure this has helped as there's little breakage. It positively sparkles reddish in the sunlight and I'm often asked what colour I've used.

Messy -yes. Time consuming - yes. A hassle - yes. But I'll never use a box of chemical filled dye again. I love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2007 6:12:00 PM More reviews by playkitty911

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this henna for 2 and a half years now. The application can be a bit messy but the color turnout is worth it. I get a shiny, coppery head of soft waves. People even think I'm a natural redhead when I use this. The color lasts for 4-5 months, so you only need to apply it 2 or 3 times a year. I think it's worth it. Especially that it has no harmful chemicals or bleach like other hair dyes do.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2006 1:23:00 PM More reviews by allegro_barbaro

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Let me start off by saying that initially I did it wrong! It says on the packet that you rinse it out with water which I did until the water ran clear. Unfortunately when I tried to dry my hair it turned into a sticky mass. That's when I came onto MUA (thank you girls) and found out that you all shampooed it out at least twice. That I did and I must say that NOW I am the possesor of a head of shiny, shiny, shiny, conker coloured hair. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's nice.

For your information I used two squares of Rouge and two squares of Brun which is great because it means I will get two more goes out of the two blocks I bought (great value in my book). I don't need to use the whole six squares because my hair is pretty fine.

Despite the crappy instructions I think it is worth the hassle for naturally beautiful hair. So there!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2005 5:11:00 AM More reviews by Redmosaic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you haven't used henna before, it takes patience and practice , and also be aware that usually what henna does to your hair is more subtle than hair dyes ( generally speaking) But if you have used henna or if you are willing to take a chance on a really challenging and fun way to beautiful hair, then use the Caca line! I have been hennaing for years and years ( interspersed with some years of hair dye... will never do the dye thing again!). Lush's caca is truly one of the best ( there is also hennaworks.com, they have great powder henna ) . I make sure I have a lot of time to mix it all up and loll about while the henna is magically transforming my dark brown color to gleaming richer brown (CacaBrun)... or giving me a dark red glaze over the dark brown( CacaRouge) or burgundy sheen ( CacaMarron... havent tried the Caca Noir) ... I am crazy for henna and will use various colors, either mixing a chunk of this with a chunk of that, or one time will use brun the next time rouge...
I use a big knife and cut about 3 squares into chunks, cover with boiling water ( use a plastic bowl, never metal!)
I let it sit till the cocoa butter in the henna has melted and softened and then I mix and mix ( using a heavy wooded spoon, again, never metal!)
I add a big squirt of conditioner and that helps it mix and bind
Then, in the bathroom, wearing gloves, I section pieces of hair, starting in the front, and smoosh fingersful of henna paste along the length of the strands, mushing it in well, and then swirling the strand into a little pile on my head. I go around my head that way till all is covered.
It takes practice and patience and the neat thing is you can do it again even the next day if you want better coverage
Ok, so then I cover with a plastic cap and wrap cotton coil around my head tucking it into the elastic of the cap
***Use the cotton coil! Lush henna has cocoa butter and and the body heat makes it melt even more and it tends to drip down after a 1/2 hour. The cotton is a lifesaver!
I leave it in at least 2 hours, and wash it out with moisturizing shampoo and good conditioner and also use a leave in conditioner as henna can be drying.

Henna makes my hair fuller , richer, shinier , glazed with neat colors and I love the scent. Greeny earthy scent. And the ritual quality of mixing, applying, waiting.... it is very meditative and healing.

It is SO worth the time and details, so be patient and relaxed when you decide to do it. You may end up like me, NEVER going back to dye!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2005 12:50:00 PM More reviews by Trixie_belle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Didnt like the colour of this, its a bit too orangey red for me, but the Cacas are really good for your hair, give lots of shine and dont dry out your hair. They can be messy and difficult to use, but its gets easier with practise.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2004 9:14:00 AM More reviews by dumpling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Totally agree with the the last review, if you want (naturally) beautiful, conditioning hair colour you have to put some effort into it. I would typically spend about 80- 100 to dye my hair at salons (quite long ,very dark hair)
I used Caca Brun the first time and not only got incredible shine on my stressed hair (20 yrs of dyeing, bleaching & chemical straightening) ,but a lovely brown shade with auburn lowlights , and this after only an hour of application (leave on longer for super conditioning & colour intensity). The conditioning effect lasted weeks and was amazing to me because regular hennas dry your hair, the Lush makes you hair better than before. Normally I deep condition my hair either at salons or with expensive treatments at home, trust me I got better results at a fraction of the price.
Finally ,it is messy and time consuming ,but after seeing such splendid results (twice) I will never go back to chemical dyes. My hair is so shiny and soft and I haven't put any product on it at all, normally I put a good amount of serum or cream to clam it and give it shine.
Also, I want to add that it isn't necessary to heat the henna in Bain Marie, nor grate the block, just do what I do pour boing water over it and it will soften & melt, add more water & mix to reach the desired consistentcy.
Lasly, rinsing is a real pain, but if you do this properly ( lather with shampoo & massage the scalp with the pads of your fingers) you will be left with an an impecably clean scalp as the little particles act like gentle srubbies.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2004 12:41:00 PM More reviews by red_cherry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

guys you have to understand that this is natural. you have to put a bit of effort into using the henna and it does get messy but you arn't ruining your hair by treating it with harsh chemicals.
i make up the henna as stated in the instuctions, sometimes adding some lemon juice too. i apply it to my hair working from the roots to the tips (hanging your head upside down really helps) then i wrap my head in cling film (saran wrap) and leave for at least 6 hours. the results are beautifully shiny, moisturised hair. and my hair becomes a dark reddy brown, its naturally very dark brown/black.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/6/2004 9:12:00 AM More reviews by Geogal

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this product because I wanted to give my hair a little kick of color without the harsh chemicals that are in most hair dyes. This stuff comes in the form of a brick - you have to grate it and then heat it over a stove. You then try to apply it to your hair without burning yourself before it totally cools down. The whole process was really messy and I ended up staining a bunch of stuff in my bathroom. And rising the stuff out of your hair is a nightmare - I spent forever rising my hair and my tub was absolutely disgusting in the end. There wasn't any change in color, but my hair was shinier and smelled nice for a few days. Overall, the effort I put into it just wasn't worth what I got out of it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2004 6:25:00 PM More reviews by nazlan

I love this stuff. It's certainly more trouble than most other at-home hair colors, but in my opinion, it's more than worth. A little extra hassle is a pretty easy trade-off for glowing color and shine and no chemicals stripping my hair. This is my HG hair color.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2004 4:23:00 PM More reviews by AmandaPandaPSC

Not too sure about this stuff (brun). The color didn't last too long, and was splotchy at first. You need to rinse really really well to get all the particles out, or your hair will dry out. But, if you do it right, and use a heavy moisturizing conditioner after, your hair will be silky and shiny just like mine turned out