September 2, 2014 | 1972 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2007 6:45:00 AM More reviews by hounddog1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used henna powders and Lush Caca rouge. I was sceptical about that this product would work fine becuase I have heard some had problems preparing this and working it on the hair. If you have never used henna before, you will think it is hard and time consuming because it is much harder than using a chemical haircolor. It is more messy and requires more of your time. I left mine in my hair for 3 hours. I have however found that it is worth the extra effort. My hair is more healthy, and the henna red color sticks to my hair lot better than chemical dyes. I had no problems preparing this. I just took my big kitchen knive, chopped it in pieces. Added it in a bowl and poored some boiling water on it. I never make henna straight in a casserole. Because then might burn it. You make a yogurt like pasta of it. I had no problems with product not melting. It melted just fine. I left it cooling for about an hour, but then it was a little bit too cool, I think. So shorter cooling time would have been sufficient. I had 1/3 still left from the hennawhen I had applied on my shortish hair. I wrapped a plastic film all over it, and then I used a warm fleece hat. I also did some running with my crosstrainer while I had it in my hair so that might have helped with the color cause I got pretty hot with the plastic and the fleece hat on my head. LOL. Ended up with gorgeous deep red color! My hair was red before but now it is super shiny and much deeper!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2007 4:39:00 PM More reviews by camillacamilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have dark brown hair that I like to have a reddish tint to it. I have used other hennas before, of the powdered variety, so LUSH's solid block of henna was a little different.

Let me start off by saying the following:
1)Henna can not lighten your hair. Can not. Don't expect it to. It is a stain only. And quite a permanent stain at that.
2)Henna is translucent. Meaning, with my dark brown hair, I will get a reddish tint from henna, but not have flaming red hair. A blonde, however, WOULD be able to obtain a carrotty orange color.
3)Henna is messy, looks like duck poo, and smells like hay. You need gloves and plenty of time to prepare the henna, apply the henna, and clean up after the henna.
4)Henna takes DAYS for the color to oxidize and develop. So if you use Rouge Caca and only have a faint orange tint, give it a few days. It will deepen.

Okay, having given my quickie henna lecture, now I will move on to how to mix and apply.

Prepare.
IGNORE the directions that tell you to mix and apply it immediately. If you do that, your henna will not have time to release the dye. And you won't get much color. Instead, 12 hours before you plan to apply, crumble your Caca Rouge blocks into a glass bowl, add hot water and stir to melt. No metal utensils or metal bowls either.Once your mix is melted and the texture of cake batter, cover it with plastic wrap and walk away. 12 hours later, you should notice your henna is brown, not green. Add a little more hot water into the henna, and stir until is a yogurt consistency.

Apply.
Apply generously to dry hair. I have thick hair that hits mid-back and I use the whole 6 cube block on my hair. Don't be stingy. If you make too much, you can freeze it. Your head should look like it is caked in mud if you did it right. Cover the henna mud mess in a disposable shower cap from Sally Beauty, then a Turbie twist towel on top of that. Clean the henna off your hairline and ears. The shower cap/Turbie twist combo means you can move around the house with no drips. Leave the henna on for 5-8 hours. Yes, you read that right. 6 is optimal for me, people with stubborn grays might want to go 8. Some people cover their pillows with a towel and sleep in their henna.

Removal.
Fill the bathtub with water. You can hang your head over the side, or just get right in the tub(naked of course). Swish your hair around, loosening the henna mud. Wash.Rinse. Wash again.Rinse again. Deep condition, since henna acts similiar to a protein pack.

Allow a few days for your color to develop and deepen.The Caca Rouge is pretty straightforward a typical henna application. Caca Brun, Marron, and Noir all integrate indigo. I was very happy with the customer service I received from LUSH as well. Due to Fedex problems, they quickly, at no cost to me, overnighted me a replacement package. They also include samples in your order.

45 out of 45 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2007 6:14:00 PM More reviews by synthetic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to give my hair a little boost of colour, but sadly this product let me down. I followed the directions to a t, but my medium brown/auburn hair basically looks exactly the same. My friends weren't able to tell a difference. I could see slight highlights in one 1-inch strand of hair, but otherwise no difference. Weird! I really don't know what I did wrong. Any thoughts? I used 3 squares and left it in for 3 hours. I'll use the remaining squares just to use it up, but definitely won't repurchase because it's not worth the hassle & price. EDIT: I ended up throwing out the rest, because I couldn't be bothered using it up & frankly I don't think it's good enough to even give away.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/20/2007 1:42:00 PM More reviews by MillicentWinds

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Okay, a lot of people are misguided when it comes to henna.

While I don't doubt that the LUSH bars work well, this is not the optimal method of henna. Why? Whilst the quality of LUSH henna is excellent, the added ingredients have the effect of "watering down" the henna, meaning you will get a less vibrant result.

I urge everyone to read this large, informative henna thread:

After learning about your other options, if you are still hellbent on trying LUSH henna, here is my advice.

I did try it despite knowing it wasn't the best kind of henna out there because:

a) My hair is dyed blue-black save for 4 inches of virgin roots...so I desired the conditioning effects more than a vibrant red colour

b) LUSH henna is far easier to locate than BAQ (Body Art Quality, which is the best kind) henna...which one generally has to order online. A simple trip to my local LUSH shop and I had my Caca Rouge.

I recommend grating the henna. Once you have mixed the water/henna mixture, it's important to keep it away from metals (pot, bowl, spoon, etc.) as it can lessen the effects.

Leave it on for at least 6 hours. Leave it on for at least 6 hours. Leave it on for at least 6 hours.

Make sure all your hair is coated evenly. It should look like a greenish paste on your head. You can kind of sculpt and conform it to your head when you're done, then wrap it up in cling wrap.

My roots took on reddish tones, almost a carroty colour in the places where my hair was lighter brown. It will get darker with increased applications.

Also...henna is a STAIN. It cannot lighten, it can only add colour to your existing hair tone.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2007 7:07:00 AM More reviews by savethemarianne

I was pretty disppointed, I love LUSH but this didn't work for me at all, maybe like a very mild tinge. The woman in the shop said for me to leave it on for 1.5 hours which reading this board, I suspect was wrong. Anyway for the record 1.5hours does absolutely nothing. It does condition your hair, but I found it kinda greasy, not really what I like in my hair...It cost me more to do less than a box dye. I know it would've worked if I'd left it in for longer, but I don't think it's worth it seeing as a box dye will do the same in 30 minutes...
*UPDATE* left it in for 4.5 hours. still disappointing, I know it was only meant to be a red varnish/tint but the tint can only be seen in certain lights which is pathetic for 6 hours of work. i'd definitely go salon or box over this.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2007 11:35:00 PM More reviews by mutelorelei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've used the Rouge and Marron colors a couple of times now. I think I like Rouge a little better, but they're both ok. I've got very dark, very thick brown hair with chemical highlights and it makes my hair look shiny, and it's red in the sun (it still looks very dark in dark light, and photos, this doesn't lighten your hair at all). If you have very dark hair and want a brighter red, you have to lighten your hair with chemical dye first (better to use the low or no peroxide, no ammonia kind) and then wait a month or two to do the henna. I think this is still better than using the red chemical dye alone, at least this fixes some of the dye damage, and it's a lasting red that does not fade, the red-in-a-box always faded in 2 weeks for me, no matter what brand of dye I used.
Unlike most people, I find this very easy to mix and use, but I'm used to mixing several bottles of commercial dye from Sally and double-process, etc. However, this is so much better for the hair, my split ends have just about disappeared. I find that right after dying with henna, it can feel a little coated for a week or two, and the results adapt over that time, but later it on it looks and feels very healthy, I only have to dye every 3-4 months.
I always leave the henna in for at least 10 HOURS, the longer the better, you get better results that way. You are not going to be able to do this in an hour! I'm still experimenting with mix-ins, I've tried coffee and paprika, but I'm planning on trying merlot wine next to see if I can get a different shade of red.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2007 2:40:00 PM More reviews by sarahvma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I haven't tried Henna dyes before, so I can't speak to how it works compared with that type of dye in particular, but compared to chemical dyes? Hot Hair Henna *rocks*.

First off - do not expect to get cherry-red hair if your hair is dark brown. I made the mistake of chemically dying mine a super dark (almost black) brown and I hated the result. Even though the girl at Lush advised against it (becaue she didn't think I would see any result), I bought Rouge Mama. First off - 18.50 Canadian for what ended up being three uses is pretty good when compared with most boxed dyes, so I'd say it's on par with the average L'Oreal concoction on price when you consider how many times you can use it.

The first time I did this, I left it in for probably about 4-5 hours. Now my hair is naturally a medium brown, and auburn in summer, so I think the only reason that it colored over the very dark brown was because of my natural shade. The color wasn't a huge difference, but in direct sunlight it had a nice red sheen.

The second use - a month later - I left in again for about 4-5 hours. Now this isn't something that they necessarily say is a must, but I think that if you're attempting to dye darker hair, you really should consider the long haul.

This second attempt came out with a lighter, brighter red.

The final time I have pretty much auburn hair again, and you can tell it's red in dark or light areas.

I only recently realized I never fully followed the directions, but rather just stirred in the boiling water rather than then covering it and letting it sit and/or double-boiling it afterwards.

Here is why Hot Hair is great, though - yes, the conditioning properties are obviously a plus for those of us who've wrecked our hair with chemicals, but also the color really does look natural. If you're trying to color hair that's just too dark and the dye won't take, chances are it just won't look that good on your skin tone, either.

I saw a woman recently who had dyed over strawberry-blonde hair with it, and had gotten a really gorgeous, vibrant carroty-rouge color that looked completely natural.

So that's my big prop for Hot Hair Henna - it's the foolproof red that is subtle or vibrant, depending on what your skin can handle.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2007 4:22:00 PM More reviews by Tippchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been playing with the Lush Henna products for a while now and am now officially addicted to the Caca Rouge Henna and Reincarnate.

Firstly, this is a messy product and requires patience and a bit of skill but I think the benefits and results far outweigh those negatives. Having said that, I will move on to how I use this product.

I started to experiment with hennas about a year ago. I was unhappy with drugstore hair dyes (due to results and, well, the chemicals) and due to my busy schedule, which make it difficult to get my hair coloured and spending habits (I would rather have the money from a year of professional hair colourings to use towards a new Chanel bag than to have a year's worth of professionally coloured hair), I decided to give the Lush hennas a go.

I started with the Brun (or was it Maroon?). After much messing, fussing and dealing with a truly filthy shower after rinsing the henna out, I managed to perfect the application and removal process. This is how I use it.

ALWAYS TEST STRAND!!!

1) I only use 1/3 of the henna block, which I place in a plastic bowl. I pour boiling water over it (enough to make a thick paste but one that is easy to work with) and with a chopstick (DO NOT USE METAL WITH HENNA) break it all up. When it has cooled down enough to apply, I put on gloves and start applying. I focus on the area where I have greys, then roots and finally working the product down to the ends. I apply in the kitchen where I have black granite counters which don't stain and clean easily. After the product is applied, I pile my hair up on my head and take cling film wrapping it all up.

2) I keep the henna in for at least 6 hours. So if I am going to bed with it, I put several old towels on my pillow. It gets hot under that cling film and the henna will run! Be warned. Or if it is a hang around the house and do crap housework day, I just get on with it.

3) When it is time to remove, I prepare the shower area making sure there are no nice towels, clothes, basically anything that can stain in the vicinity. I stick my head under the shower and always look down at the shower tray thinking how dirty my shower will be as I watch the henna rinse out. I use the Reincarnate shampoo from Lush to help remove the henna. It usually takes about 3-4 shampoo and rinses before the water runs clean. For a final conditioning I like to use the Aveda deep conditioner stuff not only because it works so well but because it helps counteract the dirty hay smell of the henna.

4) I dry with one of my special henna towels and then blow dry as usual. Just as a precaution I tend to not wear any light coloured clothes immediately afterwards. (I approach henna the way some people approach fake tan.)

Your hair will be super glossy and shiny. People will comment on it. The woman who cuts my hair asked me where I was going for the treatments because it looked so fabulous. Most importantly my hair does not look badly home dyed or artificially reddish. It just looks like I have had a rinse of some kind.

I enjoy the Caca Rouge Henna and despite what must sound rather labour intensive putting henna in my hair is like second nature to me. I do it at least once every two weeks.

Just want to add: henna will make your grey hair very vibrant and possibly orange. My natural hair colour is dark brown and my greys look like bright maroonish highlights. The greys might get a bit orange if I allow more than two weeks to lapse between henna treatments. As a bonus, the henna seems to have cured my dandruff.

Sorry about the novel but I just want to try and be as helpful as possible.

ETA: In my profile I have added a picture of my hair, specifically its roots, to show, or at least attempt to show what the vibrant maroonish highlights look like. As you can see my hair is dark and shiny but if you look carefully you can see the highlights, which are really the affect this product has on my grey hairs. This photo was taken a day after using this product. Hope this helps!

22 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2007 5:05:00 PM More reviews by Sheep73

I've spent years ruining my hair with chemical dyes - til I used Lush Henna.

After a bit of trial and error I now use two squares of Marron and one of Noir. It gives a perfect dark chestnutty auburn colour.

However the downside is all the hassle.

Firstly I find it best to grate the block first. You don't have to - it contains cocoa butter and will melt down with the boiling water, but not always successfully. Then, after slapping on the resulting hot green goo onto my hair (and my skin..the bathroom floor...my towels....my feet....!) I then have several hours (at least four) of sitting about with cling film around my head, praying no-one will knock at the door!).

Then there's the rinsing. It takes ages and produces more mess.

But in the end it's SO worth it. My hair is the best condition it's been in for years. I'm trying to grow it at the moment and I'm sure this has helped as there's little breakage. It positively sparkles reddish in the sunlight and I'm often asked what colour I've used.

Messy -yes. Time consuming - yes. A hassle - yes. But I'll never use a box of chemical filled dye again. I love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2007 6:12:00 PM More reviews by playkitty911

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this henna for 2 and a half years now. The application can be a bit messy but the color turnout is worth it. I get a shiny, coppery head of soft waves. People even think I'm a natural redhead when I use this. The color lasts for 4-5 months, so you only need to apply it 2 or 3 times a year. I think it's worth it. Especially that it has no harmful chemicals or bleach like other hair dyes do.