August 23, 2014 | 1904 users online

Eye Shadow - Shiseido - Hydro-Powder Eye Shadow

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2008 6:24:00 PM More reviews by AnnaMaria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

* NOTE: Pic included below. * NOTE: I also posted my review in the "new colors for Spring 2007" review area becaused most of the colors I have are from that collection, but I wanted to post my review in this general Hydro-Powder review area as well.

I love Shiseido Hydro Powders. I have six. Glistening Sand, Whitelights, Goldlights, Violet Visions, Bare Pink and Aqua Shimmer, and I love them all. Three are from the Spring 2007 Collection -- Glistening Sand, Violet Visions and Bare Pink.

Glistening Sand (bottom center in the picture below) is my favorite because it's so versatile. I can use it as a base, alone as a wash, alone heavier as a shadow, or in conjunction with other shadows. It's beautiful and, although it is shimmery, it's not too shimmery and is still professional enough for me to wear to work (I'm 40). It's one of my all-time favorite shadows from any line, and I reach for it all the time.

Goldlights and Whitelights are also super versatile because they can be used as highlighters, washes, base colors, etc. Shiseido artistic director Dick Page (whose sister VickiJ is an MUAer) recommends using Goldlights and Whitelights as highlighters, which other MUAers pointed out and which is how I knew to use them that way. Whitelights is great for a wet look. I like to put a tiny bit in the corner of my eyes to brigthen/open up my eyes. But I have to be careful not to use too much because Whitelights is VERY shimmery.

Bare Pink is also very lovely, but it's a little too warm for my preference. Bare Pink and Glistening Sand are similar, but Glistening Sand works better for my cool-toned PPP skin while I think Bare Pink would work better for warmer-toned women.

Of the brightly colored Hydro Powders, I have Violet Visions and Aqua Shimmer. I really love Violet Visions. Purple is my favorite color and works well with my skin tone, and Violet Visions is my favorite purple shadow. With a light hand I can wear it for work, or I can use it with a heavier hand or with other shadows for a more dramatic look. In the picture below, Violet Visions actually comes acorss more blue than it actually is. It truly is a bright violet shade, not blue like it appears below. The other shades are true to life IMHO.

My least used Hydro Powder is the Aqua Shimmer one. I debated sending it back but experimented with it and found that, with a light hand and used in conjunction with other shadows, I can get a lovely look from it. But if I use just a little too much, it can overpower me so I have to be careful in how I apply it.

You get a ton of product with Hydro Powders, so one little tub will last for a VERY long time. I definitely plan to try new shades.

Top row: MAC Fafi Cash Flow Paint Pot
Middle: Whitelights, Goldlights, Aqua Shimmer
Bottom: Bare Pink, Glistening Sand, Violet Visions
continued >>

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2008 7:42:00 PM More reviews by rubyred719

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Beautiful colors! Sheer although very buildable! Subtle but shimmery enough to make your eyes stand out. These eyeshadows are pretty expensive but these little pots will definitely last a while with a light hand. I only have one of these eyeshadows in this line but I know that Shiseido is going to be one of my favorite makeups. I can't say enough about how I love my H11 Rose eyeshadow. I use it with every eyeshadow I have using it as a base or alone if I want to look naturally simple and not too made up.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2008 10:22:00 PM More reviews by Lisainsf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased H9 (Shimmering Sand) and H8 (Bare Pink) and I can honestly say, these are the most wonderful cream eye shadows EVER. First of all, they go on smoothly and add subtle color, bringing light to the eye. They blend well, and are a great base for darker/bolder powder formula shadows. They are not as not as dry as MAC paint pots, but also not as opaque. I have begun to experiment with using the Shimmering Sand as a base for gold and peach-bronze pigments-- which helps the pigments show up better and last longer. I will use the Bare Pink alone with black eyeliner or as a base for purple shadows (which I am getting more into lately). I highly recommend both these shades for medium and olive skin tones.

While I have long been a Shiseido devotee, in recent years I have limited myself to their pressed powder (HG), foundations, and once in a great while, a lipstick. However, I will surely buy Hydro Powder eyeshadows as long as they make them. If they come out with a silver color in this formula, I will be running to Macy's to buy two of them.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2008 11:36:00 AM More reviews by Laura22

This is the only, repeat only, eye shadow I can wear since I started to see the early effects of aging. When I noticed other e/s's creasing and emphasizing lines, I thought I would have to give up all together on e/s. Someone recd these and they went beyond my expectations. They are gorgeous for young ladies too, but for anyone with the types of concerns I have...run, don't walk.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2008 3:13:00 AM More reviews by retro1988

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For those who are worried that these eyeshadows will dry out on them, let me just say that I've got a pot of both the white and gold lights that are three years old, and they are still as wonderful as the day I purchased them. These shadows are AWESOME! Well worth the price. I've used them nearly every day for since I bought them, and there's STILL plenty left in each pot.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2007 9:55:00 AM More reviews by babiig1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros:

- Nice range of eyeshadows.
- Creamy texture.
- Able to be used as a base.
- Provides sheer, vibrant colour.
- AMAZING staying power.
- Does not crease.
- Even application.
- Pot lasts for an indefinite amount of time.
- Buildable & blendable.
- Cute packaging; small but compact.
- Selected few can be used as highlighters (Whitelights, Goldlights, Tiger Eyes).
- Applicator included.

Cons:

- Expensive.
- Possibly too shimmery for certain people.

Obviously, the pros outweigh the cons here. I highly recommend Shiseido's Hydro-Powder Eye Shadows, they are undeniably one of the best eyeshadow ranges I have come across. Although it is expensive, it is well worth the price!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2007 10:21:00 AM More reviews by CharismaSL

This is THE BEST CREAM EYESHADOW OUT THERE in the universe! I cannot describe how much I love these eyeshadwos. I never liked cream eyeshadows until now. I have 2 of these and I am going on the weekend to buy a few more. I think for the price you pay you get a lot considering the fact that you don't need much to apply. A little goes a very long way!! The quality of the product is beyond superior! I just hope that it doesn't dry up as time goes on as this will last me a very very long time!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2007 12:00:00 PM More reviews by loveuntold

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

I absolutely adore these shadows! I have never been a fan of cream shadows, as they crease like crazy on me, but these dry to a beautiful powdery finish with absolutely no creasing. They all have a translucent, shimmery (not glittery) sheen to them. They go on sheer, but you can build up the color to be as intense as necessary. They're super easy to apply (I use either my finger or a small eyeshadow brush) and blend. At $23 USD, these may seem like a splurge... but, really, you only have to use a tiny bit of the product each time you use it, so it will last you forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2007 7:59:00 PM More reviews by rikkiadele

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Leaves a lovely subtle shimmer with color that you can build...would definetly buy again!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2006 10:25:00 PM More reviews by ivonaive

I love this eye shadow. I have aqua shimmer and I love it. it stays long and they color is beautiful...