December 22, 2014 | 900 users online

Eye Shadow - Shiseido - Hydro-Powder Eye Shadow (All)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2008 7:33:00 PM More reviews by ceciliathegreat

General: I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hydro-Powders!!!
I originally wanted to buy Lancome's Colour Dose cream eye-shadow/base but they discontinued the entire line! *stomps feet* I've always wanted to try Shiseido's Hydro-Powders ever since it came out, so here I went last Friday to their counter and instantly adored the texture of these cream shadows and instead of intending to buy just one, I bought 2! The texture is softer and creamier (less thick) than Lancome's which on the other hand is more metallic and less sparkly than Shiseido's; either way I like both but Shiseido's gets an extra point for the adorable pot (Lancome had a cheap lil toothpaste-like tube). I liked it so much that 3 days later on Monday, I went back and wanted to get 3 more pots but they didn't have 2 colours that I wanted, so I just got one. I did put down my name for the next shipment of the missing colours; THIS IS HOW MUCH I LIKE THEM!!! lol

Packaging: Adorable! Fabulous! Also comes with a sponge applicator which I don't use (a synthetic brush with cream shadows works better imo); so I prefer to use my fingers which works great too! 6g/.21oz for 28$CAD+taxes.

So far I have these 3 (I will get more muhahahahaha! lol):
1. Languid Lagoon H10 - This was the first one that I got, it was LOVE at first sight and touch! lol The light blue colour is aqua-like with a bit green. Has pearly SHIMMER, NOT sparkles!
2. Bare Pink H8 - I got this thinking that it looked like Lancome's Bermuda Sunrise which I LOVE, but Shiseido's is much more pink and orange, kinda like coral. It's still good as an eyeshadow but I do find that anything orangey makes me look like I have blood-shot eyes or that I didn't sleep enough.... So instead, what's so versatile here is that it can be used as a CREAM BLUSHER!!! Awesome! lol Gives me a really nice glow on my cheeks! LOVE IT! Again has pearly shimmer, not sparkles.
3. Lemon Sugar H12 - I was having a hard time deciding between this and Glistening Sand H9 (see 4), but I bought this instead and now I'm thinking that I need to go back to get the other one too! lol Anyway Lemon Sugar is a light pearly yellow! It looks great as a highlight in the inner corner of your eyes, or on its own giving your lids a pop! It's not a scary dandelion yellow, but a very nice pastel light yellow! More metallic and pearly than shimmery imo, but definitely no sparkles.
4. Glistening Sand H9 - This wiil be my next purchase! It has a peachy - pale gold, metallic/pearly colour. I think this one is more like my search for Lancome's Bermuda Sunrise! lol
5. Tulle Rose H11 - I don't have this one and don't plan on buying it, but I'm writing it here because I remember it well when testing it at the counter. It looks light pink in the pot, but once you try it one, the pink is barely visible and all you get is MEGA SPARKLES! I guess you can all tell that I prefer metallic/pearly/shimmery than sparkles now lol. Thus AVOID at all costs if you do not like sparkles!
6. Violet Visions H6 - tried it at the counter. The bight royal purple with blue undertones is really quite dark so I personally don't like it because I prefer a wash of colour instead. It's still a pretty colour with a SHEEN, no shimmers and no sparkles here.
7. Clover Dew - H13 - very pretty light pastel green with metallic/pearly effect. Belongs with Languid Lagoon and Lemon Sugar as the 2008 Spring Collection. I may get this too...
8. Green Exotique H7 - Ughhh... it's much more green than Clover Dew; not pastel-like, darker, grassier, metallic/pearly. Since I don't really wear green eyeshadow (except this gorgeous metallic olive colour by MAC lol), I won't be getting it.
9. Aqua Shimmer H5 - More turquoise and darker than Lanquid Lagoon. Like, Violet Visions, this colour is darker, more intense, and has a SHEEN, not pearly/metallic/shimmery!
10. Goldlights H1 - I normally don't like sparkles, but here in this wash of gold colour they look really pretty together. I dunno how the sparkles will look on my eyes... So I' won't get it just to be on the safe side! lol

Alright that's all I remember now! *GO GET YOUR HYDRO-POWDERS NOW! lol*

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2008 12:14:00 PM More reviews by may_baby

I am STILL amazed and in love with this shadow. Just love it! It comes with an applicator but I just apply with my finger. This is the only shadow (cream or powder) that I can apply without using UDPP under and it doesn't crease. For a little sparkle, I use Rose Tulle underneath any other color. It goes on sheer for me but leaves a beautiful sparkle. A pot will last a very long time. Can't wait for new colors!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2008 6:24:00 PM More reviews by AnnaMaria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

* NOTE: Pic included below. * NOTE: I also posted my review in the "new colors for Spring 2007" review area becaused most of the colors I have are from that collection, but I wanted to post my review in this general Hydro-Powder review area as well.

Glistening Sand (bottom center in the picture below) is my favorite because it's so versatile. I can use it as a base, alone as a wash, alone heavier as a shadow, or in conjunction with other shadows. It's beautiful and, although it is shimmery, it's not too shimmery and is still professional enough for me to wear to work (I'm 40). It's one of my all-time favorite shadows from any line, and I reach for it all the time.

Goldlights and Whitelights are also super versatile because they can be used as highlighters, washes, base colors, etc. Shiseido artistic director Dick Page (whose sister VickiJ is an MUAer) recommends using Goldlights and Whitelights as highlighters, which other MUAers pointed out and which is how I knew to use them that way. Whitelights is great for a wet look. I like to put a tiny bit in the corner of my eyes to brigthen/open up my eyes. But I have to be careful not to use too much because Whitelights is VERY shimmery.

Bare Pink is also very lovely, but it's a little too warm for my preference. Bare Pink and Glistening Sand are similar, but Glistening Sand works better for my cool-toned PPP skin while I think Bare Pink would work better for warmer-toned women.

Of the brightly colored Hydro Powders, I have Violet Visions and Aqua Shimmer. I really love Violet Visions. Purple is my favorite color and works well with my skin tone, and Violet Visions is my favorite purple shadow. With a light hand I can wear it for work, or I can use it with a heavier hand or with other shadows for a more dramatic look. In the picture below, Violet Visions actually comes acorss more blue than it actually is. It truly is a bright violet shade, not blue like it appears below. The other shades are true to life IMHO.

My least used Hydro Powder is the Aqua Shimmer one. I debated sending it back but experimented with it and found that, with a light hand and used in conjunction with other shadows, I can get a lovely look from it. But if I use just a little too much, it can overpower me so I have to be careful in how I apply it.

You get a ton of product with Hydro Powders, so one little tub will last for a VERY long time. I definitely plan to try new shades.

Top row: MAC Fafi Cash Flow Paint Pot
Middle: Whitelights, Goldlights, Aqua Shimmer
Bottom: Bare Pink, Glistening Sand, Violet Visions

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2008 7:42:00 PM More reviews by rubyred719

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Beautiful colors! Sheer although very buildable! Subtle but shimmery enough to make your eyes stand out. These eyeshadows are pretty expensive but these little pots will definitely last a while with a light hand. I only have one of these eyeshadows in this line but I know that Shiseido is going to be one of my favorite makeups. I can't say enough about how I love my H11 Rose eyeshadow. I use it with every eyeshadow I have using it as a base or alone if I want to look naturally simple and not too made up.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2008 8:28:00 AM More reviews by mjacqueline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I guess I'm another fan of hydro-powder eyeshadows. I already have them in Violet Vision, Goldlights and Whitelights. I love the texture and how shimmery it is. So when I heard there were new colours out I had to go and have a look. I bought Languid Lagoon which turns out to be a really sheer aqua, perfect for a fun day look without being over the top. I bought Pink Tulle because it looked so nice when swatched on my hand under lights. When I applied it on my lids, it was a very sheer pink with a slight hint of pink. Matches well with Languid Lagoon.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2008 8:58:00 PM More reviews by AnnaMaria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

* NOTE: Pic included below. * I love Shiseido Hydro Powders. I have six. Glistening Sand, Whitelights, Goldlights, Violet Visions, Bare Pink and Aqua Shimmer, and I love them all. Three are from the Spring 2007 Collection -- Glistening Sand, Violet Visions and Bare Pink.

Top row: MAC Fafi Cash Flow Paint Pot
Middle: Whitelights, Goldlights, Aqua Shimmer
Bottom: Bare Pink, Glistening Sand, Violet Visions

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2008 10:22:00 PM More reviews by Lisainsf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased H9 (Shimmering Sand) and H8 (Bare Pink) and I can honestly say, these are the most wonderful cream eye shadows EVER. First of all, they go on smoothly and add subtle color, bringing light to the eye. They blend well, and are a great base for darker/bolder powder formula shadows. They are not as not as dry as MAC paint pots, but also not as opaque. I have begun to experiment with using the Shimmering Sand as a base for gold and peach-bronze pigments-- which helps the pigments show up better and last longer. I will use the Bare Pink alone with black eyeliner or as a base for purple shadows (which I am getting more into lately). I highly recommend both these shades for medium and olive skin tones.

While I have long been a Shiseido devotee, in recent years I have limited myself to their pressed powder (HG), foundations, and once in a great while, a lipstick. However, I will surely buy Hydro Powder eyeshadows as long as they make them. If they come out with a silver color in this formula, I will be running to Macy's to buy two of them.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2008 4:17:00 PM More reviews by Lisainsf

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2008 12:17:00 PM More reviews by may_baby

I LOVE these shadows. The sponge tip applicator that comes with it isn't the best idea. If I had to, I'd rather use with a brush, but for now I am using just my finger to apply.

I have the Languid Lagoon and Rose Tulle colors. The Lagoon one shows up better on me than the Rose, but both have such a pretty sparkle! It's not too dramatic, so it's great for daytime use. I have the gel shadows from Awake also, and the glitter from that falls all over my face in seconds. So that's great for nighttime use, but I wanted some sparkle for daytime and this is perfect. I'm on my way to collecting all the colors!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2008 11:36:00 AM More reviews by Laura22

This is the only, repeat only, eye shadow I can wear since I started to see the early effects of aging. When I noticed other e/s's creasing and emphasizing lines, I thought I would have to give up all together on e/s. Someone recd these and they went beyond my expectations. They are gorgeous for young ladies too, but for anyone with the types of concerns I have...run, don't walk.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No