August 20, 2014 | 1916 users online

Cleansers - Eve Lom - Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by junglegirl004

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is much like a tub of paraffin with cinnamon in it. I'm pretty sure that if you shelled out $50 for the same, you'd have to "swear by" that too... and it probably would work, for the same reason that Eve Lom's works.

Yes I am using it correctly - had a private appointment with Eve Lom herself to make sure I was! She did do me the favour of talking me out of using creams on my face at all, including hers, because they were blocking my pores and my skin couldn't breathe. So using almost nothing has been a huge improvement.

This tub however - is not necessary and is not going to save you... if you want something equally heavy and balm-like, Lush' Ultrabland is at least as good in every way, and just happens to be far cheaper. But I'm pretty sure that everyone would be better off with Herbfarmacy's gorgeous, soft and natural cleansing mousse (not yet reviewed on MUA).

Don't fall for the Lom hype!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2012 2:27:00 AM More reviews by katiebaby87

I was freaked out by the negative reviews I saw on here, especially as I have very sensitive skin and have had disastrous results in the past (redness, rashes, irritation) with products that have turned out to be both insanely overhyped and overpriced.. BUT, I'm very relieved to say, this cleanser has worked fantastically for me (I've been using it for about 8 weeks now). My skin has never felt so soft and clean and I now use about half of the moisturiser that I used to. Lots of reviews say that the cleansing routine is time-consuming, but I don't really agree (and I'm super lazy haha). Normally I spend ages getting all my makeup (especially eyemakeup) when I'm washing my face before bed, but this stuff just melts it right off. My skin feels sooo spotless and squeaky clean afterwards. I would have to say my favourite thing about the eve lom is that I've been able to eliminate facial scrubs/exfoliating from my routine, and this is from someone who has been plagued by a stubborn, flaky tx-zone since puberty. My skin is just so manageable now...I don't even have to think about it. All in all, I'm relieved and happy I finally tried this product.

Another thing I noticed in the reviews on here is people saying they broke out after the first few days of using this, followed by their skin subsequently clearing up, which is apparently how the cleanser 'works'...this didn't happen to me, and I probably wouldn't have been too keen if the SA had mentioned it. One last thing I have to mention is the muslin cloths - I have been waaaay too time and money poor to waste dollars on these (I lost mine only a few weeks after buying the cleanser). I personally find the routine works exactly the same and is just as effective l with a good quality, texturised face washer/cloth.

Although I love Eve Lom and everything's it's doing for my skin, it is VERY expensive...especially when you consider the list of ingredients. For this reason, I may investigate similar, cheaper cleansers when my current tub starts to run out.

Sooooooooo to summarise, I love the results I got with this stuff, but taking into account the absurd, unjustifiable high price tag, I can't bring myself to give it 5/5.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2012 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Lizbie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I've been using this for years and have given up trying anything else now: nothing else is as good, including the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish, which smelt lovely but gave me bumpy skin. If you can get past the initial outlay, it's very good value too: one 100ml pot lasts me six months and it works as moisturiser, exfoliator and eye make-up remover as well as conventional cleanser. In extreme weather I might use some moisturiser as well, but really, that's it.

I'm 36 with dry/combination skin and am prone to eczema but I've never had any trouble with this stuff. The packaging is exactly as it should be, no fuss, just a robust tub in a box with clear instructions. As for the hot cloth method, it's not at all time-consuming or tricky once you've done it a few times, and I speak as someone with serious low maintenance tendencies (I don't even own a hairbrush or comb). For cloths I use muslin squares (the ones for babies!) cut in half.

I guess some people just won't get on with it, but I think everyone should try it. One other thing: give it a month minimum (unless you have a reaction to it of course).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 9:29:00 PM More reviews by pandabear5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm going to have to agree with British Vogue that this is "probably the best cleanser in the world." At least for me. Well, this and the Emma Hardie one, which is slightly more moisturizing, but I digress.
Judging from the rating, it seems like the Eve Lom is hit or miss with people. It's definitely worth a shot at least. Removes my makeup and makes my skin nice, clear, and soft. The scent is medicinal, kind of like Vicks VapoRub and cloves. I'd rate the scent a 3, but if clove oil and eucalyptus oil are what makes this cleanser work, then I really don't care. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2012 9:00:00 PM More reviews by samk22710

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this cleanser!! It takes all my makeup off and leaves my skin feeling hydrated and smooth. I have been using it for about three weeks, and I can already see some results. My skin tone has become even, and my face is blemish free. I don't think I could use anything else!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2012 3:40:00 PM More reviews by AngelaywHo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I am quite surprised to see this product doesn't even reach a rating of 3.5, I mean I understand everyone can be different in reacting to skincare but cleanser usually slightly different, don't they? To me if a cleanser can remove make up gently and easily without any break out afterward and also leave my skin soft and not dry, I would consider that as a good cleanser and Eve Lom has definitely gone beyond that!! It makes my skin even smooth and brighter instantly, after a month of use I also noticed that my t-zone area is getting less oily altho I still get blackheads, the condition of my skin is so much better and Liz Earle can no way do the same job to my skin. I agree that this product is still overpriced in general but if you get the 200ml size it is cheaper and possibly wait for the seasonal sale for bargain. I think I will buy it again not probably not right away when I finish my current one, there are many cleansing balm out there and I am still interested to hunt for new ones.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2012 3:36:00 PM More reviews by kimbalala

This cleanser is the best cleanser on the market. You're obviously not using it properly if you're leaving negative comments:
Once a day, at night, for normal/dry skin types

Twice a day, morning and night, for oily/very oily skin types

Massage a small amount onto the face and neck over grime and make-up from the day. At this stage the cleanser will remove all forms of make-up from the skin.

Fill a basin with hot water and immerse the muslin cloth. Squeeze off excess water and gently press the cloth onto the face and neck for a few seconds. The heat will soften the skin and open the pores, allowing the aromatic oils to cleanse the skin of impurities. For the optimum cleanse, repeat this stage three times.

Fold the hot, rinsed cloth into a square and work it in small, circular movements across the face and neck to remove all traces of Cleanser.

The muslin will gently exfoliate the skin surface and encourage blood circulation, leaving the skin feeling exceptionally smooth.

When using the Cleanser at night, add this step. Rinse the cloth in cool water and press onto the face and neck.

This helps close the pores, giving the skin a more even, toned appearance. It also leaves the skin feeling fresh and ultra clean.

It's not your usual cheap or expensive, scented foam up wash off cleanser - it's amazing if you use it correctly. For oily skin you don't need moisturiser. Yes, it's expensive but it's worth every bit.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/3/2012 11:15:00 PM More reviews by kimthoang

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Got a sample. It's like smearing crisco oil & doesn't take off eye makeup. Smell is nauseating. Hard to believe sales rep said it's world best cleanser. Cheapy Cetaphil is better. Muslin cloth is nice but yes you can use a hanky.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2011 12:43:00 PM More reviews by daisylonglegs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The best cleanser I've ever used. Has the consistency if Vaseline but the most delicious aroma . I use in the evening BUT it is not good for removing eye makeup as it gets the grits in my eyes and so I use a separate cleanser for my eyes.
Using the muslin cloth detoxifies the skin and it's a lovely regime.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2011 1:46:00 AM More reviews by Amruta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Do not buy if you have dry or dry/ combination skin. It will only dry you skin out more.

It does not take all the make-up off, and using the muslin cloth soaked in hot water is INCREDIBLY drying and abrasive on the face.

Particularly things like eye liner and mascara do not respond well to the balm, and need a lot of massaging or scrubbing with the muslin cloth to get off. This is irritating to the eye area.

And frankly, the muslin cloth is good but you don't need the Eve Lom balm to use with it, and you don't even need to waste AU $30 on buying Eve Lom brand muslin cloths - you can use any muslin cloth (even a cotton handkerchief) with practically any other cleansing balm.

Plus the whole cleansing ritual is really time consuming - opening the pores, closing the pores etc. And if you skip the muslin cloth and use just the balm and rinse it off, it leaves your skin feeling coated with a film that you need to wash off later anyway.

And don't believe this balm when it says you do not need to moisturise later. If you have dry skin, this balm + cloth process will dry you skin out more and you will have to moisturise.

The only pros I would say are that it smells nice and herbal, and feels warming and nice to massage on your face. But just 'feeling' nice is of no use if it doesn't do anything nice for your skin too.

So save your money.

It may work for you if you have very oily skin that needs a bit of oil control using hot water/ exfoliation. Otherwise, save your AU $ 68. Buy a make-up remover + gentle skin cleanser for cheaper (see my reviews of Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm). Together two products will serve you better, for a wider range of sitautions, than Eve Lom Cleanser alone.