September 2, 2014 | 1628 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 8:45:00 AM More reviews by domokun_nyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this a couple times a week to remove makeup and clean my face in the evening and use a flannel/wash cloth to wipe/rinse everything away. I use a foaming face wash in the shower otherwise. The Clinique seems to take everything off without using a separate makeup remover, as the name implies. I haven't found it to be drying or irritating or break me out. But, I don't use it every day.

I like the idea of oil cleansers and have used DHC and Lumene. The Clinique rinses off easily like the DHC, but is not as drying. The solid format is interesting/different, but I'm not a fan of the tub and digging my fingers in there. I'm not sure how else they could package it, maybe a push up solid brick thingy like a solid deoderant? Maybe I should get myself a scoop. Anyway, it's got no colour or fragrance; it is a bit pricy for a cleanser, but it works well and is an interesting product. So, when I run out, I'll probably repurchase.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2013 10:16:00 AM More reviews by Princesseren

I worked for Clinique for a little while and I noticed that a common mistake people make is using this as a cleanser. Pore clogging and breakouts resulting from this product are often a sign that people used it as a cleanser. The correct way to use this is to remove makeup (mostly hard to remove makeup or water proof), after that you still need to cleanse, tone and moisturize.
I think this is a great product if you are using hard to remove products. It basically breaks down waterproof makeup allowing you get rid of residues.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 8:54:00 AM More reviews by mommygirl5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I realize all products are YMMV. I tried this after reason all the rave reviews and and it caused major breakouts. If you are sensitive and acne prone like me...Save your money and just use a carrier oil instead if you want to do the double cleanse method. You will achieve the same results and not be exposed to potential pore clogging ingredients.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 8:13:00 AM More reviews by MrMontyBurns

I really wanted to love this, and in the beginning we had a lovely start to our relationship. I gladly shelled out the money for it, and in return, it gave me clean, soft, smooth skin.

But as they say, the honeymoon phase doesn't last forever. I have rosacea, and after the first few weeks of infatuation, things suddenly changed between us. I ended up with bumpy and red skin, along with the pain of having someone (ok, something) you thought was so right for you suddenly betray you with no explanation.

I just wasn't willing to give things another try after that. Some things, such as badly inflamed skin, just can't be forgiven.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 2:18:00 AM More reviews by zed4zorro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't use this as an everyday cleanser. I only use it when I wear make up which is 3 or 4 times a week. It comes in a jar and I scoop a portion out with a spatula. Then I rub it straight onto my face with dry hands and the product
just melts into your skin and removes all make up. Then I take a flannel/face towel, wet it in hot water and use that to rub everything off. I don't think water alone is sufficient to remove all traces of the cleansing balm and that's why I prefer to use a face towel. It also gently exfoliates the skin and it leaves my skin feeling soft and clean. I then follow up with a gentle calming cleanser from dermalogica. This is what is referred to as "double cleanse". Anyway this jar of cleansing balm from Clinique is a lovely product which I use as a make up remover.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2013 1:09:00 PM More reviews by completelynumby

'Take The Day Off' balm has been a great addition to my cleansing routine.

I use this as a makeup remover before using my cleanser. It will literally melt off every scrap of makeup on the face, even eye makeup.

It feels gentle on the face, there's no irritation whatsoever. Doesn't oil up my face and doesn't give me spots either.

It is pricey, but considering the amount and the quality of the product, I will continue to purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I realized that foundation sometimes needs more than a cleanser to completely come off. Take the Day Off Balm fits the bill. You smooth it on your face while it is dry. The texture is a little thicker than cold cream. After you rub this on your face, you add water. The interesting thing is that the texture changes to a milky liquid. As the product is liquifying, it rinses your makeup off. I personally follow with cleanser.

The packaging doesn't bother me. It is in a jar, but there is no other logical packaging for a product this thick. The only downside is the price. It is a little over $30 after taxes.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2013 3:21:00 AM More reviews by firefox23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Amazing for blemish prone skin!!!
What can I say about this awesome product that everyone hasn't already said!
I bought this because I read on a beauty blog that you should avoid using any cleanser that foamed, as it strips your skin and causes problems. Now, I have traditionally blemish prone skin and up until recently, I was constantly breaking out. I was really skeptical to try this, as anyone with acne can tell you that anything that looks like oil or has a balm like consistency, is probably going to break you out.

After reading SO many (countless) positive reviews, I decided to give it a try. You have to use it on DRY skin, massage it around on your face for a bit, and then use warm water to rinse it off. It literally emulsifies into nothing when you put it into contact with water! I double-cleanse - I'd recommend double-cleansing if you wear long-wearing foundation and/or concealer. It hasn't caused any skin troubles for me, so I can safely say it's good to use if you have acne or are prone to blemishes. As I use acne treatments, I can say that my skin is MUCH less dry than when I used a foaming cleanser combined with my treatment (benzoyl peroxide and salisylic acid). HIGHLY recommend to anyone who suffers from breakouts!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2013 5:42:00 PM More reviews by TraciMaci

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I needed something to replace my previous make up remover (PreCleanse by Dermalogic) that I had to stop using. I read reviews on this and started using it on Monday. So far I am very happy with it.

As others have said, it looks like Crisco or Vaseline, but once it's on your face, it immediately dissolves and begins melting that make up. I work this in and really loosen up my make up and then add a bit of warm water and it get's really milky. I then rinse and all the make up is gone! I follow with a cleanser and toner. This is a make up remover, not a cleanser. So I highly recommend following this product with a cleanser. It is excellent at removing makeup! I recommend this product and will purchase it again if my skin continues to respond well with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2013 3:00:00 PM More reviews by deebaby07

This is a great cleanser, you don't need a second cleanser. In one use it removed three layers of face makeup, blush and a full smoky eye with mascara and eyeliner. I don't wear that much makeup everyday but it removed it all. My skin also did not feel dry and tight after. I think this a very effective cleanser even of you don't wear makeup everyday just to get your skin really clean.