November 24, 2014 | 2041 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - Smashbox - Backdrop Cooling Tint

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2003 6:12:00 PM More reviews by Tweetyfan

A tinted moisturizer with sunscreen that does not make my face shiny! Finally!

This is a wonderful product that, while doesn't necessary feel "cool" for me, is very comfortable to wear.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2003 6:21:00 PM More reviews by jeanki

I like the thin texture and the yellow-based color. I didn't really notice a smell and the 'cooling' sensation for me was barely anything. But the coverage was way too sheer for me, practically nothing, and there were faint sparkles that I didn't care for. Also one of the top ingredients in this supposedly 'waterbased' tint is oil.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2003 1:22:00 PM More reviews by LadyChristine

Rather than a cooling sensation, I experienced a burning sensation when I put this on. Even after I took it off, the burning sensation remained for about a half hour. I think this product is way too harsh for those with sensitive skin. I don't understand why anyone would put something on their face that clearly is irritating to some extent (whether the sensation be cooling or burning). The product also smelled like water color paint and had a slight perfumy fragrance. Coverage is very sheer, but that is to be expected from a tinted moisturizer. Due to the skin's reaction to the cooling ingredient (menthol? peppermint?), my face looks more red with this product on than without it. I will never attempt to use it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2003 12:22:00 AM More reviews by USCgirlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

9/13/03 EDIT: this one wasn't the culprit of my breakouts! I use this everyday and I LOVE it. :)

Start of original review:I am still a bit mixed about this product. I use the medium shade, #4. It goes on nicely and is great for a no-makeup look. It also blends into my skintone perfectly...it's yellow enough for my Asian, NC35-40 skin, and isn't pink like Laura Mercier's Beige or "ashy" like MAC's Select Tint in NC40. That said, though, do not expect any coverage. It just evens out my skintone very sheerly, and doesn't cover up any flaws. (Whereas Laura Mercier's and MAC's Select Tint have much more coverage.) But the reason why I'm mixed about this product is because I'm not sure if this is causing me to breakout! I have little zits in my T-zone, whereas before using this, my skin was clear for two months. I can't figure out if it's stress or Smashbox's Backdrop that has caused the little breakouts. Time will tell though, so I will edit this as soon as I find out for sure. By the way, the slight cooling sensation is especially great when it's a hot summer day. So refreshing! Just be careful around the eye area...it will sting a bit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2003 12:50:00 AM More reviews by dblaze

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is awesome! I am gaining more and more appreciation for Smashbox with each new item I try. I saw the Backdrop Cooling Tint on QVC and decided to give it a shot. I can honestly say that this is hands-down the best tinted moisturizer type product I have ever used. The color I got (Light) is very neutral, no icky unnatural peachy/pink weirdness. The coverage is great, less than a cream or powder foundation but much more than a usual tinted moisturizer/foundation. More coverage than Px Traceless and Almay Nearly Naked, less coverage than Px Photochrome or Mary Kay cream to powder. I didn't notice any cooling sensation at first, but after it was on for a few minutes I did, somewhat refreshing. I will definitely repurchase this - great color, super easy to blend, SPF 15 and NO shine problems with my oily skin - what a winner! I highly recommend checking this one out!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2003 4:16:00 PM More reviews by kendrafisher

This product was extremely sheer which is what I really loved and the colors are wonderful and neutral but the downfall was it made my face have a shine that I just did not like. I was so disappointed. I wanted to love this TM but I can't go around looking shiny.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2003 5:34:00 PM More reviews by purplevelvet

Smashbox's Backdrop Cooling Tint is the bomb!! Now that I'm a full-time law student with little money to spare on products that don't work, I research products before I spend a bundle (thanks to your reviews and trials at Sephora). I really wanted a tinted moisturizer with SPF for the summer and tried many brands before I found this gem from Smashbox -- it really surpasses the rest. I tried several: Paula Dorf's -- it was nice, but didn't blow me away; Clinique's Almost Makeup -- nice, but made me break out; Benefit's You Rebel -- I really wanted this one, and tried very hard to like it, but it was simply too orangey for my light skin. So three wonderful products remained: Shiseido's Essential Tinted Moisturizer -- very lovely shades to choose from and a great product, but didn't sufficiently moisturize my dry skin; Laura Mercier's TM -- also very nice. However, Smashbox's Backdrop is much nicer than Laura's and much cheaper. I couldn't justify spending almost $40 on Laura's when it didn't offer full spectrum SPF and wasn't oil free. Smashbox's is $28, and well worth it! It is oil free (water-based) and it doesn't break me out. It moisturizes my dry, acne-prone skin and offers a nice, healthy glow, while evening out my skin. It won't conceal blemishes, but that's what a concealer is for. The aloe and cucumber soothe my skin, and I do notice a nice sensation every time I put it on -- not quite "cooling", but soothing nontheless. I am finding that it gives me a nice matte finish as opposed to the oily face I get with many moisturizers. It also offers full spectrum SPF!! It comes in three shades. I use the medium shade (#4) during the summer on my very light skin. I might switch to the light shade during winter. So now my 3 must-haves for a perfect face are: Prescriptives Camouflage Creme, LORAC's powder compact (Wet/dry) and Smashbox's Backdrop. I am finding that I need little of the first two when I use this moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2003 10:57:00 AM More reviews by Stellam

I would have to agree that the packaging sux. It can be quite cumbersome, but the product is wonderful!A sheer tinted moisturizer (+ spf 15) like coverage and a tingly feeling - pls keep away from eyes! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2003 4:33:00 AM More reviews by BEVERLYS

PRICE: US$28.00

First of all, what "cooling tint"? It wasn't cooling at all on my skin so I'm not sure what the person naming this product was on. But this product really is lovely. It's a very sheer tinted sunscreen (SPF15) so I love using this during the week where I like a natural look. It won't cover up any flaws though. It wears like a charm and doesn't go greasy on me, plus I love tinted products so this is right up my alley. I didn't like the packaging though. the tube was quite fat and chunky which is tolerable, but when I stood it up, product would always leak out around the cap everytime I used it! It needs a smaller hole or tighter packaging.. or better yet, a pump.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2003 1:44:00 PM More reviews by aznbebebabe

This is an interesting product. I have combo/acne prone/medium asian skin and it was quite beautiful on. I love the natural sheer finish, but this one was too sheer for me. The feeling is nice, but no cooling sensation. I wished they had more colors though.