April 16, 2014 | 922 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by lrachel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Skin (body) - Love it for skin, though oddly it only works well on my legs. This has replaced anything I've ever used previously on my very sensitive, dry legs. The tub lasts FOREVER (I have Nature's Way brand). If I use too much, it doesn't sink in well, but I've learned how much is perfect and it really is just that......perfect (I use about a quarter sized amount, total, for both legs).

Hair - the jury is still out on this. When I've used it alone (put it on before bed, shampoo out in the morning) it seems to make my hair feel drier. I'm guessing this is due to the protein (my hair is not a fan of protein treatments). However, this past week I mixed a few drops of avocado oil in with some coconut, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then washed as normal and that seems to work well (though I used too much). That was on Monday and today is Friday and my hair shows no signs of needing to be oiled again (and my hair is heavily highlighted, so tends to be dry).

Makeup remover - it will remove eye makeup, but it's not my first choice.

Feet - this is a GREAT moisturizer for feet, especially after I pumice. Love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2013 12:26:00 PM More reviews by madscientist01

This was horrible as a facial moisturizer! I tried this after watching youtubers suggest it. Big mistake. This does smell nice, which is a bonus. However, it just sits on the surface of your skin, doesn't ever absorb, and isn't actually moisturizing at all! The worst part is it broke me out.....it's actually quite comedogenic. :(

7 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2013 3:03:00 AM More reviews by ooohdiamonds

I began using coconut oil because I want to try eliminate as many chemicals from my beauty products if I can help it. So I decided to opt for a natural moisturiser for my feet, hands and body. I have been applying it directly after a shower, wearing cotton gloves and cotton socks, then going to sleep.
My hands and feet feel smooth, but there is still some visible scaling on my hands and fingers. I almost feel like it is not penetrating my skin!! I also read somewhere that coconut oil can be stripping- hence it is an ingredient in many types of soap. I really want this to work, so I will mix it with some extra virgin olive oil, wait out and continue using it for another couple of months or so and see if it makes an improvement to the dry, scaly nature of my hands this winter.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 1:12:00 AM More reviews by giannamoggs

A MUST FOR EVERY WOMAN OUT THERE!!! If you struggle with dry skin, split ends, slow hair growth, crazy eye lashes or even dietary needs, then this is for you. Pure, unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil (extra virgin) is considered an all natural moisturizer that is safe for your skin, hair, and tummy!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 5:46:00 PM More reviews by Reemyn

Miracle product. I'll be buying this forever.

I use this to cleanse my face, see more under the oil cleansing method!

But my new favorite is: hair mask/treatment. I experimented with coconut oil before, but I didn't like it, I couldn't wash it properly, my hair still looked oily afterwards.

But a few months back, after getting back from a work trip I jumped into the shower, and washed my hair. My hair felt really dry, so I decided to put on some coconut oil. It was really hot that day so I skipped blow drying, and for my surprise the oil sinked in very well. Sure I had to wash it again the next day, and after blow drying my hair felt sooo goood. Unusually good. Nice, full, shiny. It looked like I had $300 blow dryer (and I don't).

So I'm doing this now at night once a week: wet my hair, put on coconut oil (I use extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil btw) sleep, wake up, wash my hair and voila. No coconut oil residue, nor oily feeling jut good hair.

Sure sometimes I didn't have the time, but my hair still felt good. So now I'm a believer that this stuff moisturizes and conditions your hair deeply.

One more thing: thanks to coconut oil dandruff is gone!

What else? Get this miracle worker now maybe?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 3:47:00 PM More reviews by amandadee97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this mainly for my teeth(oil-pulling) and my hair. I used to use it on my skin, and, while it didn't make me break out, it didn't moisturize it as much as I wanted, so I use jojoba now. However, for oil-pulling and my hair, it's great! I use the Spectrum brand. It's refined but organic(though I'm likely going to look for something even more natural next time I run out. I use it in pretty much every hair mask I do, or on it's own as a pre-shampoo treatment, and on my ends at night when I put my hair in braids or twists. In dry hair, it makes it super soft and subtly shiny without being greasy. As a mask or pre-poo, it does the same, and prevents my hair from getting too stripped by my shampoo(though I do have to scrub more to make sure my hair doesn't get oily).
As for oil-pulling, it helps to whiten my teeth and give my mouth a more thorough clean without damaging my teeth like other whitening products. However, it's not as effective or as dramatic as such products.
Other uses of mine: lip balm, shaving cream
It's a very good multitasking natural oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 11:51:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

There are things I like Extra virgin coconut oil for, & things I don't. I originally bought this to use on my hair. I've been using it for a while (correctly as reccommended) & it leaves my hair shiny....but doesn't do much else. After a couple of uses, this also builds up in your hair like crazy. So, a good clarifying shampoo is VITAL or else your hair will be an oily greaseball until you clarify. As far as moisturizing goes, this honestly didn't really moisturize my hair...it just covered my hair in oil. Once the oil was washed out, no moisturizing effect was left behind. It actually (slightly) made my hair drier. From reading some of the other reviews, I am not the only person who had this same effect. I researched before buying this, & I bought the right type of coconut oil (suggested brand most people say to use), correctly applied it, & left it on for the correct amount of time.

This absoloutley has a strong ability to clog pores, so I would not reccommend people with sensitive skin/acne prone to use this on or near their face. If in question, do a small patch test prior. I DO like the way this tastes as a butter alternative, & I will use the rest of my jar for cooking purposes. As for hair & skin purposes go, I think I'll just stick to what I was previously doing for my whole life...it has always worked for me. I have used this to shave before, & it does do a good job at moisturizing skin...but the consistency is too thick for my razor. Regular lotion I use to shave with works just as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Hrtchoco

I love coconut oil. I use it on my hair, I use it on my body, i put it on cuts, I feed it to my dog and myself. I don't put it on my face since I feel it can clog my pores. It might not, but I rather not try.
I really love it on my hair. I put it in, leave it on for a few hours, wash it off. After a few uses, even my hubby noticed a difference. My hair got healthier, shinier and smoother. Now I use it about once a week.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2013 9:19:00 PM More reviews by herbst3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm a highly clog prone person, but I decided to experiment with coconut oil, out of curiousity. I put it on one 1/2 of my nose, for 4 days. At day 4, a new cyst was forming in the crease in my nose, and roughly 80% of my pores were clogged. The other half of my nose was normal. So, yes, this really is comedogenic. I found that I reacted to this significantly faster than my average reaction to moisturizers, which usually takes @2 wks.

Edit: Now it's 2 months out. I was looking at the clogs in my nose and realized that they were 10x worse on one side. Hmmm. I wonder why...OH WAIT. That's the side I tried the Coconut oil on! SO, I am 2 months out and that side of my nose is still feeling the negative effects of only a few days of coconut oil. Wowza.

I might add, this also gave me acne on my body. Ever had clogged pores on your legs? Not good.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by idkwhattoput

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff is just amazing. There's use for it in almost everything. Here are what I use it as:

-Natural tanning oil
-Butter alternative in stir-fries
-Bi-weekly facial moisturizer (if I use it to often I break out ): )
-Consume orally daily for healthier hair, skin, and energy
-Cuts to speed up healing
-After-shave soother
-In DIY hand washing soap (Dr. Bronner's castille soap, coconut oil and tea tree oil)
-Eye makeup remover

and my favorite....

In recipes! Here's my favorite one, It's absolutely AMAZING and surprising very healthy!

CHOCOLATE COCONUT CLUSTERS

2/3 cup shredded/flaked coconut (unsweetened)
2/3 cup melted coconut oil + 1 TBSP (the TBS is used later in the recipe)
1/2 cup almond butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (dark chocolate chips work too)

1. Mix almond butter, coconut flakes, 2/3 cup of coconut oil and vanilla in medium bowl, place in freezer for a few minutes, and stir consistently until made a less liquid texture. This will be used to form the little clusters.

2. Use hands or spoon to form little balls (they won't be perfectly shaped) and place each ball on wax paper on a large plate, then place in freezer for 5-10 minutes to freeze solid.

3. When clusters have hardened, melt the chocolate chips + 1 TBS of coconut oil in double boiler, or just heat in microwave on half power, for a minute OR 30 seconds each time, and stir consistently until melted.

4. Dip each cluster in chocolate and put back on plate with wax paper. Once all are done, drizzle the leftover chocolate on each one to coat it a little better. Place in freezer, and eat in 10-15 minutes when completely solidified!

If you like the taste of coconut and chocolate, you will fall in LOVE with this recipe. (:

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No