April 19, 2014 | 1803 users online

Fragrances - Annick Goutal - Ce Soir Ou Jamais

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2005 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Mireille1

According to various sites, Annick Goutal's Ce Soir Ou Jamais was a scent ten years in the making and incorporates 160 essences, including Turkish rose, jasmine, ambrette (these are the three acknowledged by the Annick Goutal site), cassis, pear, peach and wild flowers.

According to me, Ce Soir does bear a resemblance to the lovely Sa Majeste la Rose of Serge Lutens. I think they may share the ambrette, which affords the scent a warm muskiness. But I found this fragrance to soften into a much gentler rendition of rose, after the sharpness of its first few minutes.

A sensual scent that I found myself relaxing into ... into its ultimately very gentle elegance. Lovely.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2005 8:04:00 PM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

This is not an everyday fragrance for me. Its a bit too *much* for that. I think it is a romantic scent. Not what I would call a sexy scent..but romantic. To me...it reminds me of wine and roses. An interesting combo of both. When I put it on I find it to be very strong. In fact the first time I wore it I got quite the headache. Maybe I went a little bit overboard b/c I wasn't expecting it to be that strong. It doesn't smell as if it would be straight from the bottle..but once it mixes with my body chemistry it transforms to a more heady fragrance. I'm not blown away by this. I like it...but its more for indulging myself now and again. Like I said, its way to much for me to wear often. Its more of a romantic special occasions perfume.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2005 11:38:00 PM More reviews by tournesol

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ce Soir ou Jamais is a delicious and enchanting rose scent. It has a juicy, almost edible aspect that reminds me of Jo Malone Red Roses, that lush red rose dripping with honey. Ce Soir ou Jamais is more delicate--a lush pink rose touched with honey. In any case, I think it's one of AG's best creations, up there with Les Nuits d'Hadrien. I only wish it lasted longer. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2005 7:45:00 PM More reviews by neicy81

Ack!I opened this and thought "ah, this smells like the rose scent from my childhood".Not!It smells like turkish rose for all of 2 minutes then dries down to a powdery old lady rose. It stinks!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2004 7:51:00 PM More reviews by karissma21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I absolutely love this scent! It's been a long time since I've liked a perfume so much...after awhile though, as I kept smelling my arm (I was *testing* this fragrance LOL)...I wondered...Does this make me smell like an old lady?
I only have a sample...I'll try it again and see how I feel...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2004 5:18:00 PM More reviews by cheerymerryberry

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Got a free sample of this from Sephora. I don't plan on trying it on. Smells like wilting roses. (Maybe it smells different if you put it on, but in the vial it is a little much.)

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2004 2:24:00 AM More reviews by Saola81

What's a beautiful name for a fragrance that smells like old musty rose potpourri in the molded attic!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/16/2004 5:30:00 PM More reviews by snakeskin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Annick Goutal and I do not get along. My best attempt was Heure Exquise, which smelled like cocoa with a sprinkle of Chanel #19. Ce Soir ou Jamais was a lovely, light, fresh rose until it realized it was on my skin, then it turned to cheap, sour rose soap.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2004 7:45:00 AM More reviews by msmazeppa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm not much of a fan of florals, especially heavy florals, but certain rose fragrances do something very deep and organic to my limbic system. For that reason, I own two rose-based fragrances--Jo Malone's Red Roses and this one. The weird part about Ce Soir is that I couldn't distinguish the rose fragrance in it when I tested it; I just knew I was intrigued. I bought a bottle almost five years ago. Stored in a dark, cool closet, the fragrance remains the same today as when I bought it. I wear this one maybe three days a week, and pretty much for myself--I've never been complimented on it. I do think it's a bit old lady and fussy, which is why I won't buy it again when I finally use up this bottle. But I'll have the memories . . .

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2004 6:03:00 AM More reviews by lAnamour