Yves Saint Laurent Nu

3.8

on 7/14/2004 12:58:00 PM

The only YSL'S perfume that I like. Mysterious, woody and different, I really love it.

on 6/1/2004 6:13:00 PM

I bought this for $15 or $20 at TJ Maxx. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it on my skin, as it seemed to blend in well with my chemistry. This is a lovely spicy scent, unusually wearable, not to dry or overly spicy. It has orchid, lily, vanilla, and cinnamon in it, amont other notes. I don't usually like cinnamon in a fragrance but this time it's nice.

on 5/8/2004 2:18:00 PM

When I first sniffed this, I thought it smelled just like Kingdom. When actualy comparing them side by side, however, instead of just from memory - Nu was much 'softer', with more floral in the top notes. I don't get any vanilla from Nu - just soft spices and a bit of jasmine/rose, and then it mellows out pretty linearly. I like to wear this layered with a vanilla/amber scent. If you like the idea of Kingdom, but want something more wearable - this is it.

on 4/6/2004 5:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I love the inital peppery cola spicy burst of this, but after ten minutes it becomes more potent and cologne-like, and less unique. Then it dries down to smell like Lynx. It reminds me a bit in character of Bvlgari black, which is superior. On the right person this might work. That isn't me though.

LMAO!! I totally agree with Kaylabee's review below. She writes some great reviews LOL!Actually, this is a scent I don't hate totally- tho I'd never purchase it. This would be a scent to wear at the beach in autumn or at an authentic Italian restaurant. When you are going somewhere where you want to smell your surroundings (if that makes sense!). Definitely not a seducing or sexy scent. continued >>

on 1/30/2004 6:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Do Androids Wear Electric Perfume?

NU reminds me of pleather and vocoderized singing(think Kraftwerk, Roger & Zapp). Not the smell but the overall effect of this highly synthetic oriental(to my nose, a plastic pineapple-melon w/ spices and wood). it's unisex-leaning-to-masculine(Jude Law's 'Meca'-gigolo Joe from Artificial Intelligence comes to mind). umm... i can't really come up with anything nice to say about it, granted it's not my style. sheesh, even the packaging design is a bit cold and AI/Blade Runner-esque.

Maybe it's a perfume for sexy androids? If Data from STNG (for non-nerds, that's geek for Star Trek: Next Generation) had a 'hot' girlfriend she might wear this. continued >>

on 12/22/2003 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

What a wondeful discovery I've made in Nu. It's definitely one of my top five scents. As others have said, it opens with a very sharp spice aroma ... almost masculine, but very "noteworthy." On me, it then goes through a rather unfortunate, but luckily short-lived, synthetic plastic scent. It then develops into a beautiful floral with touches of cinnamon and vanilla. The drydown, on me, is an utterly delicious soft vanilla/lush, spicy lilly. Love this scent and am happy to see it's being discounted regularly online and at Marshalls/T.J. Maxx. I will stock up!

on 12/14/2003 1:46:00 PM

Well... this seems to be one of those fragrances that develop very differently on different people. Something to do with skin and chemistry I guess. Btw I am reviewing the EDP as it is quite different from the EDT. When I first sprayed this on my immediate reaction was: yikes, this is so strong, in your face, too spicy! What a mistake... in fact it reminded me of a particularly nasty oriental scent by Yves Rocher(!) that I wore briefly in the mid-80's... Lo and behold when, a few hours later, I smelled my wrists again and it had totally mellowed down into a luscious, very sexy and yet not too overpowering scent - I am not great at analysing perfumes but I noted vanilla - which I love - as being among the more prominent notes there. I think I will buy this, but I'm not sure how I will deal with the first couple of hours after spritzing this on, while waiting for the drydown to develop! It's so strong. This is the only reason I gave it only a 4.

The EDT lacks the mellowing-down, deep base notes. It also doesn't last as long. It would be perfect for those who like a lighter version with more emphasis on the spicy and floral top notes.

on 12/4/2003 5:35:00 PM

This is a very special scent. usually I can not wear oriental and spicy scents as they are way too strong. This is different. At first tt smells like very warm pepper and cinnnamon or something...definitely spicy but not like BANG I smash you down spicy.. It is spicy but still being very demure and that is what makes it sexy. It is not owerpowering at all but rather soft. I quess this went very well with my chemistry.

on 12/2/2003 11:16:00 AM

I couldn't agree more with msp12 on this one. Especially when it comes to the part following "the only reason". Lost for words.

Popular Fragrances