October 21, 2014 | 1278 users online

Lip Treatments - La Mer - Lip Balm

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2011 2:30:00 AM More reviews by aksaiyo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*****IMPORTANT: <--- please read this, even if you are going to skip everything else!
I know it seems tempting, but it's NOT their cheapest product by the unit. Here's proof:
La Mer Lip Balm: $45 / 0.32oz = $140.63 /oz
Creme de la Mer: $135/ 1oz
You see that? It's more expensive than the famous Creme de la Mer itself! Yah, just so you know :)
*******

If it's so expensive, why did I buy it? It's because my staple DHC Lip Cream is actually even more expensive per ounce too -_-
DHC Lip Cream: $7.50/ 0.05oz= $150/oz
fml. I go through a tube a month, I might as well get the La Mer then.

Now, on to the real thing. I've only owned it for 3 days so far, but I though recording my thoughts as I go will probably make for a better review.

Texture:
I can categorize lip balm textures into waxy (Burt's Bees) , oily (Kiehl's), and creamy (DHC Lip Cream), sticky (Clinique Superbalm Lip Treatment). Creamy is my favorite texture to wear during the day becuase it feels luxurious on. Sticky is my favorite for nighttime because it stays on well (I unconciously lick my lips all the time). This falls between waxy and creamy, leaning on the creamy side. Like all creamy lip balms, this smooshes quite easily, so they don't take a lot of effort to apply. If you swipe too hard, you'll make a little dent in balm. This lip balm has a great texture, creamy enough to feel super smooth on the lips, wet enough to feel moisturized, and thick enough to layer up or use under lipsticks without thinning the color much. It doesn't give lips a shiny glossy look at all, lips just look moisturized and dewy.
Scent:
All I detect is the minty scent with a hint of vanilla-y sweetness to it. Don't worry, it in no way smells cheap like cotton candy or lip smackers.
Taste:
I actually just picked up the lip balm and applied some of this to my tongue (not recommended). It simply tastes sweet, with a bit normal lip balm aftertaste, but you really have to lick of a good thick layer for that to happen.
Lasting Power:
It doesn't last ages, but it seemed to last longer than your average lip balm. Since it just arrived and I've been obsessively applying it, I haven't had a chance to find out how long lips stay comfortably moisturized after it wears off.

EDIT 5/2/2011:
It's been a full month, so I can talk about it's moisturizing abilities quite comfortably. I'm really liking it! I've also burned through this quite quickly. Here's a picture of it new and unused:
And now a picture of it after one month:
You can even see the dark patch that indicates I'm not too far from the bottom! If I had to guess, I think the lowest point would be a bit below where the screw top ridges end. That would be more than half way down into the pot! :/ There still plenty on the sides, and to be truthful, I've also been using it as a cuticle cream.

Anyways, over the past month, I've really come to appreciate it's scent and taste. I look forward to putting on my lip balm and feel sad if I leave my room without it (even if I have spare random lip balms lying at the bottom of my bag). Lasting power wise, I feel quite comfortable with just applying it around twice a day, once a day on my super dry constantly licked lips is not quite enough. I'd say once a day would be enough if you aren't a balmaholic who lick lips constantly though.
Edit 1/17/2012:
I've finally finished every last bit of this lip balm. I've repurchased and it is on its way to me right now. (PS. If you are ordering from their website, wait until some type of holiday, they have really nice "luxury" sized samples then) :D

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by SR19

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Lovely texture and great moisturising results.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 4:38:00 AM More reviews by raenamercedi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This lip balm is very expensive at $45.00. I would not mind paying this amount for a lip balm that delivered amazing results, but my results from this lip balm were far from amazing. This lip balm is highly emollient and moisturizing, but I have found similar results using lip balm that are less than one third of the price that I paid for this one.
The one thing that I do love about this lip balm is its taste. Several hours after application I can still taste a faint sweet mint flavor on my lips.
I do not mind the jar packaging for a lip balm, because I use this lip balm only in the morning and the evenings after washing my hands, but I do agree that a tube style packaging is more hygienic.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2011 4:59:00 AM More reviews by darren1971

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this lip balm. I keep it on my bedside table and use it every night along with Kiels hand cream. My lips (and hands) feel soft and nourished each morning,

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2010 5:55:00 PM More reviews by wickedcoolmama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes, this lip balm is expensive, but you get quite a bit of product in my opinion...9 grams. I've used it for 4 months or so (only before going to bed) and I I've just noticed a slight dip. one jar will last me at least a year. If it came in a more luxurious container than a frosted pastic jar w/ plastic lid, I'd consider buying it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 8:11:00 AM More reviews by mccafferty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Last winter I was staying with a friend in London. I forgot to bring my usual trusty lip balm (REN in tub form, by the way) and the indoor dry air made my lips chap. I went through my airline freebies (elemis, dermalogica, molton brown), and my lips got worse and worse. The familiar story - skin gets softer and more comfortable immediately after use, but once the protective layer is gone, the dryness got worse. In the end I need to think twice before managing even a hint of smile. So I accepted my friend's offer and tried her La Mer lip balm. I was totally impressed. I put it on whenever I could remember that evening (because I rather enjoyed using it!), and gradually I could feel my lips got better. Overnight I put a thickish layer on, and the next day, the lips were completely healthy again! After that, all I needed was an occasional layer of balm like I would normally do. Much as I love my REN lip balm, I don't think it would have worked as fast as that. Would I buy this? Normally a natural oil (ie, not petrochemical derivatives) based balm would keep my lips in good condition even in dry weather. So I'd rather save this money. But if for some reason my lips get into seriou trouble again, I will run straight for it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2010 8:26:00 AM More reviews by toniak

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this lip balm because I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I've been using it for about a month now and I do have to say that it moisturizes my lips quite nicely. I especially love how my lips taste and feel after putting it on. Is it worth the money? Definitely not but if you're looking for a small luxury to splurge on, I would highly recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/31/2010 10:07:00 PM More reviews by Onsia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got this lipbalm as a gift because i am such a lip junky,
well let me just say this
this product is NOT worth the money
It stated off with a nice scent and a mild minty tingly feeling, but as the days went on it didn't moisturize, didn't deliver properly, left a film around my lips ( i didnt over apply..)
and overall was the crappiest junk I've ever tried. Also the lid was a PAIN to take off the fist time i got it.
The packaging is cute, the smell is nice, the balm itself is crap.
I do NOT recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2010 7:21:00 PM More reviews by Vanillacandle24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love love love this!! I only wish I would have tried this sooner. It has made my lips so much fuller esp my top lip. At first I used it sparingly but now I put it on all of the time. My pot is lasting a long time too.
I have tried many other lip products but I don't even want to try any other. Also it doesn't break my skin out around my mouth like some other products have in the past.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 2:41:00 AM More reviews by mlim74

Holy smokes.....$45 for a lip balm??? That was my first impression of this product. It was recommended to me by a sale associate at a high end cosmetic boutique while I was on vacation. I had previously been using the Prada Lip Balm, which was becoming very difficult to find. (I'm under the impression that the skincare line has been discontinued. Bummer!)

I had purchased this lip balm to use during a ski vacaton last winter. My lips get chapped when I spend the entire day outside skiing in very cold weather and stay chapped even indoors because of the low humidity. This lip balm goes on smooth and creates a nice thin barrier to the elements. It makes my lips feel soft and smooth and maybe a little more plump (then again maybe that part is psycological).

I have sinced transitioned this lip balm to a year round product and not just for the dry alpine weather. It works great year round, and I keep my pot in my night stand, so I can apply it nightly before I get some zzzz's. I don't need it again in the morning, and don't have dry lips anymore. I just use a hydrating lip color or gloss during the day. I might start using it day and night again when the temperature starts dropping.

Certainly the price of the product is pretty steep, but I have a ton of other lip balms I've bought between $20-$30 and they are just thrown in a drawer or tossed out for being old, so I guess value is based on whether or not one uses the product or not. I certainly will buy this again and have already purchased another. I've already used mine for 6 months, and it's got plenty of product left.