October 23, 2014 | 1293 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 36 [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2007 11:07:00 AM More reviews by lisa4839

I've been using this for a couple of months now and I really do like this. Its matte, which is a huge plus, I HATE the oily, greasy feel of other sunscreens. It also has a very light scent which is great compared to a lot of other products.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2006 4:01:00 PM More reviews by lapin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great sunscreen for everyday, low sun-exposure days. I use it on days where I'm going to be in the (windowless) office or after working out, because the tube is so convenient to throw in my bag. It has a nice matte (but not as matte as the spf 55 lotion obviously) finish and it doesn't require as much moisturization as the lotion. I like both equally, although this cream is better in the drier winter months or when my face (while being oily and acne-prone, is on tretinoin, so it dries out easily) is flakey. I usually use a serum beforehand for a little antioxidant boost and spread this cream on. It spreads easily, and sets up in minutes, and looks amazing. It's true the UVA-protection could be better for these sunscreens, but the finish is unbeatable, and I'm male and do not wear make-up, so I need something that looks good without powder or touching-up. I remove it using pure sunflower oil, rubbed in lightly for a minute, and then use a gentle foaming cleanser to remove it all. Really great for moderate protection and for a great all-day finish that doesn't melt away by noon. *Edit* 11/18 I've been using this again after an off-period, where I was trying some Euro sunscreens I'd gotten, and I'm thinking that this is really just a thicker, slightly stickier version of the lotion, without any real contribution to moisture. With this, just as with the lotion, I need to use a moisturizer beneath them or I end up with dry spot, so I'm going to save a little money and get more protection by just sticking with the spf 55 lotion. This is still a great option to try, I think.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2006 10:28:00 PM More reviews by DivingBunny

I have very oily skin, and combined with living in sunny CA there's not much of anything that stands a chance of staying on my skin. Except this sunscreen. Its a wonderful primer and instantly makes my skin matte. I love the protection it gives me and it does not pill nor cast a white mask on my MMM skintone.

The only problem is that it really dries out my skin. The Cream version is less drying than the Lotion version on me. I get really flaky around my nose, and exfoliating and extra moisturizing at night did nothing. Fortunately I found a simple and effective solution: jojoba oil. Thanks MUA! At first I cringed at the thought of putting something oily on my oily skin. But it keeps me blemish free and works. In the morning after I wash and dry my face, I lightly mist my face and press about 2 drops of jojoba oil into my skin. I wait 15 minutes (or if pressed for time, I use a blow dryer) then apply this sunscreen. The results? Moisturized yet matte AND protected skin! A 50 ml tube will last me about 6 months. Will be a loyal user forever!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2006 1:49:00 AM More reviews by Tina38

After hearing how great Shiseido's sunscreens line are, I had no choice but to cave in and try it. It was a hard choice though, so many kinds (lotions, creams, SPF55 or less, etc) I finally went for the Extra smooth Sun protection cream SPF 38, b/c it was cheaper than the SPF55 & it was more for an everyday use. its been a month and a half now and im still in love with it. The appeal to me is that not only is it mattyfing but it is a sunscreen! I love it as a primer for my fdnt, its the first summer, i havent been a slick of oil. It is a bit too drying though (maybe b/c i use a mattyfying fdnt, Maybelline PURE) so i have to put some moisturizer underneath the sunscreen to avoid the cakeyness look. I havent had any break-outs b/c of this product yet but I have to point out that you need a cleansing oil to remove it ALL at night, that is actually a PITA but hey...The packaging is a squeeze, flip-flop tube, superb! the only thing bad is the price, a little bit too pricey (ard 38$ CAN) for a student like me but I will definitely repurchase! =D

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2006 3:05:00 PM More reviews by sasha31583

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After using DDF Photo Age SPF 30 and growing frustrated with the constant pilling of the sunsrcreen after I applied my very sheer foundation, I gave up. I bought this over the weekend at C.O. Bigelow in Boston and tried it for the first time today. I love it! I blended in perfectly underneath my foundation and there was absolutely no pilling of the cream. My foundation, for the first time in ages, looked flawless. This is my new must-have!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2006 2:19:00 AM More reviews by delenn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 6/4/06 -- Had to stop using this after a week or two because the scent was too much for my nasal allergies. I think it was also starting to dry me out a bit :(

PRELUDE: I picked this up on a trip to NY after discovering I had forgotten to pack my usual Euro sunscreen. (Brought my 1/4 tsp measure, but no s/s, dopey me.)

SKIN TYPE/COLORING: Mature, very sensitive, dryish skin with a slightly oily T-zone (Baumann's type DSPW). PPP, MAC NW15.

NB: I have nasal allergies, and got this not realizing it contains fragrance. It's a pretty, fairly light, perfumey smell that doesn't bother me now, but definitely will be too much when my allergies go into high gear in summer. The scent disappears after a few hours. The rest of this review will ignore the scent issue.

MY METHOD OF APPLICATION: 1/4 tsp. for face only, applied to cleansed, bare skin (including eyelids). Nothing applied over it.

LENGTH OF USE: 4 days so far; will update after further use.

IMPRESSIONS: This is one elegant sunscreen! It applies and feels on the skin exactly like a moisturizer. It's lightweight, very easy to spread and absorbs quickly. There is absolutely no white cast and no shine. It leaves my skin looking slightly dewy and feeling like velvet. It plumps up my fine lines just the way a good moisturizer would. I have had no stinging, burning, itching, or discomfort of any kind while wearing this. I have had no breakouts or irritation bumps thus far. I can only tell it's on my face by touching it (that slightly moist, velvety feel). It stays put all day, until I remove with cleansing oil.

In short, this would be, hands down, my HG sunscreen if only it (1) had no scent, and (2) offered better UVA protection with the exact same finish. (I can dream, can't I?)

PROTECTION: SPF 36, PA+++ (so PPD >8, presumably)

PACKAGING: Flip-top tube, 50 mL

COST: About $29, including NYC taxes.

INGREDIENTS (from box):

ACTIVES: octinoxate 5.9%, zinc oxide 9.3%

INACTIVES: water, cyclomethicone, butylene glycol, dimethicone, dimethicone copolyol, methyl gluceth-10, polybutylene glycol/PPG 0/1 polymer, disteardimonium hectorite, polymethyl methacrylate, talc, trimethylsiloxysilicate, glycerin, hydrogenated C6-14 olefin polymers, xylitol, glutathione sodium glutamate, zinc myristate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, thiotaurine, ectoin, scutellaria baicalensis extract, ononis spinosa root extract, dextrin palmitate, isostearic acid, PEG-150, calcium stearate, aluminum distearate, aluminum hydroxide, alcohol, silica, trisodium EDTA, BHT, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, fragrance, titanium dioxide.

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2005 4:07:00 PM More reviews by bunny207

Wow! I tried this about two years ago and hated it. However, last spring they reformulated all of their sunscreens and they are all fantastic (their older version contained mineral oil)! I have been using the lotion version but wanted something more moisturizing since I have dry skin. This is perfect! It dries down to a semi-matte finish and isn't too heavy. It has their signature fragrance that might be overwhelming to those sensitive to fragrances. Overall, I am very impressed and will definately repurchase! I will use the cream version during the winter and the lotion version during the summer. Run and get this! Retails for roughly $25 USD.