Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) TCA Peel

4.2

Trichloroacetic Acid, Glycolic Acid 5%, Lactic Acid 5%, Purified Water, Isopropyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Glyerine USP, Menthol Crystals, Sodium Chloride, Neolone, Benzyl Alcohol

I purchased the 8% TCA peel from MUAC in an attempt to firm up my face and get rid of fine lines. I am biracial, and was afraid to use anything stronger because of my coloring. I used two layers on my forehead, and one layer on the rest of my face. I left it on for five min. It burned a little, but didn't peel at all. I tried it again two weeks later, this time layering three layers on my forehead, and one layer on the rest of my face. I immediately got 'frosting' around my eyes. I washed the eye area off after five min (it burned like hell). My undereyes and crows feet looked terrible for almost a week. I looked 80 years old (I am 39) with wrinkles and redness. After a week or so, I cannot believe the results. My undereye fine lines are GONE, and my crows feet have improved significantly!!! I am sooooo happy! Unfortunately, my forehead looks the same. I will need a higher strength peel for the forehead, obviously. I am a Retin-A user, so I am assuming that I have tough skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am in the middle of a series of peels from MUAC and am loving it. The reviews on this site really helped me, so I thought I would share a tip. During my first peel I found myself putting on makeup even though it is NOT recommended, but let's face it, if I felt comfortable going w/o makeup, I probably wouldn't need to do the peel right? So when I had to leave the house I would put on makeup and worry that I was harming my skin.(it didn't BTW). I wanted to do a second stronger peel after my first one and I remembered that they made makeup for after cosmetic procedures. I researched and found este lauder camo foundation which was formulated by dermatologists and cosmetic surgeons specifically to be worn after cosmetic procedures. Now I have never seen this recommended post peel, but I figure if I'm going to put on makeup anyway it should be something like this. It's kind of pricy, but worth the peace of mind. It won't cover the peelies, but it makes me look presentable unless someone is really close up. Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Almost a miracle! I ordered the MUAC 15% TCA peel based on my skin type (thick, oily, non-sensitive) and on previous experience with peels and exfoliating agents.

Even though I was a first time user, I used two layers since the first layer frosted only in a couple of spots. The second layer frosted nicely all over. It did sting a bit, but the only hard part was my eyes watering while I was trying to apply. I used a small hand held fan from the Dollar Tree after applying, and neutralized after five minutes. My face was pink all over, with some spots (top of cheeks, bridge of nose) quickly turning brown. I started to peel on the chin and around the mouth between 24 and 36 hours (MUAC info sheet says peeling usually begins around day four). Once the chin was peeled, peeling slowed down considerably. I pretty much finished peeling by day seven. It was not a pretty sight! I tried to stay home, but unfortunately had to go to the grocery store and a couple of meetings. The results are amazing! Smooth luminous skin with melasma spots great reduced. I've had a Vitalize Peel in the past, and also Portrait, and neither made any difference in my skin (Portrait was in fact horrible). Fine lines are overall reduced. The only place that did not respond much was the melasma on my neck, so I will be peeling that again in six weeks or so. In the meantime, I'm going to buy the lactic acid peel to use for maintenance, and consider whether I will do another TCA peel in 6-8 weeks. Overall, I'm thrilled!

15% TCA Peel for the first time ever. I used this to remove hyperpigmentation from sun damage and acne scars. I have a lots of dark spots. I was very nervous, but the product came with good instruction, which explained what to expect and how to avoid/prevent problem very well. As the instruction says, patch test is a must, and it familialized me with how to apply the acid before putting it on all over the face.
It was a bit tricky to see how much I should put on. In my case, I should have put more acid, but I was being careful. Now I know much better, so second time will be even better.
Process: First 5 minutes, a little burning. First 2 days, my face felt tight and darker (especially sun-damaged spots). Next 4 days, skin started to peel gradually, exposing brighter, softer new skin. I did not have to hide away during the peel. Just looked like I had sun burn and peeling.
Result: After 7 days, my skin is one tone lighter and brighter. Dark spots are still there, but 40% lighter in color or smaller. My skin is much softer, and I was told my skin looks younger than a year ago.
I will update my review after my second peel next month. I hope my dark spots will be further lighter and clear.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Interesting experience with this product. I'm past 30 and now noticing the results of skin abuse in my teens and 20s (sun, tanning beds), so I purchased this product to improve texture and pigmentation. As the peel has been accurately described below, I'll simply share my process. A first time user, I applied the 12.5% peel conservatively per the provided MUAC directions (which are very helpful and incredibly thorough - a big plus!) and left on for about 8 minutes total. I had some frosting on the upper cheeks, but nowhere else, and did experience some burning (not severe). By day 2 my skin had hardened and had turned brownish in the areas which had frosted, and simply looked a bit shiny and ready to shed on the forehead, nose, and chin. I began to peel on day three and peeled about three days. The peel strength was not strong enough for me to peel off in sheets - instead, I peeled in little bits, and I did not peel evenly. In retrospect I wish I'd added an additional layer of TCA, but that's the benefit of hindsight. The peeled areas looked very pretty and fresh - not as pink as a deeper peel would have provided, but definitely better. My lower cheeks never peeled, and I now feel they don't exactly match the texture of the rest of my face. As others have mentioned, I had minimal peeling in areas I did not frost.

This TCA peel was a good purchase, and I'm going to do a series of these lighter peels throughout the summer. The biggest drawback for me is the need to apply sunscreen to my newly peeled skin (and yes, this is a MUST), because all sunscreens, physical or chemical, seem to badly dry my skin. I therefore feel like I'm abusing my pretty new skin, even though I know it's better than exposing the new skin to the sun.

My experience with MUAC was good - the price is exceptional when compared to what this would have cost if applied by a dermatologist, and I really feel a peel this mild can be handled at home. I have continued to use the tea tree soap which came in the TCA kit. I have my next round planned one week from now and will report my progress then. Overall, I think this is a good tool for improving one's complexion and I would repurchase.

EDIT: I'm now five days into my second peel - the MUAC instructions state that users may need a series of 2-3 peels to get their desired result. Still peeling - started yesterday, one day later than last time. I was more agressive with peel #2 and did two full layers, and I believer my results will be much better this time. I do not peel in sheets, but rather have little flakies that slough off each time I apply Aquaphor or wash. My new skin looks very pretty - pink, healthy, less lined. I have no deep wrinkles (and this product wouldn't cure them, anyway), but do have onion-paper-like skin on forhead and lower cheeks. Neither of these areas peeled last time, but they are peeling now and look great! I suspect I'll finish peeling tomorrow, and will decide later if I want to do a third peel. My results thus far: I would estimate a 25-30% improvement in surface texture, which I consider significant, particularly for a $35 investment. I do imagine I will upgrade to a stronger peel once this bottle is finished, because my skin seems to tolerate the acids fine. Changing review to five lippies.

Thought I would post my experience thusfar with this and will edit/repost as I progress. Ordered this through MUAC, trial sample at around $20, quick service, but the gloves and soap were missing from the shipment; sent email, waiting for reply. At any rate I had leftovers of the soap from other peels so I was still able to proceed. I ordered the 8% and 12.5% level, low levels. The 8% is for careful spot use around eyes. MUAC instructions state not to use higher than 8% solution around eyes. To prepare for the TCA peel, as recommended by MUAC, I used combo prep peels for 3-4 weeks; lactic acid(30%) and glycolic acid(40%...all came packaged in same size trial bottles....the TCA peel, on me, took more solution than product level used with either of the other 2 peels...something that seemed odd, but it is just a tad more serum like than the lactic and glycolic....not sure on that since it is so miniscule...but definitely used more product on TCA...perhaps that might also be because the lactic and glycolic is applied with fingertip and TCA with q-tip, though like another poster here instead I used a small taklon brush....felt it would apply more evenly and quickly since this is a timed procedure....just seems timing would be awkwardly impacted since applying w/q-tip takes much longer to do entire face and from what point do ya commence timing....clearly areas applied first are going to be at least 2-4 min more advanced than the areas applied last...and minutes make difference with acid on your face, lol. You can actually strengthen level of peel within the same % level by layering applications with 5 minutes between layers up to 3 layers only...each layer boosts the level of the peel by 25%. Additionally the TCA peel process is recommended as 3-series, but can be done only once if you want....recommendation is 3 applications, 3 weeks apart every 6 months with lactic acid and/or glycolic acid 1-2xweekly maintenance peels in between the 6months TCA peels. The goal is to achieve that optimum balance level and then you can increase/adjust your % levels and length of times applied for each product to find what gives you the best results. Anyway, personal experiences/impressions thusfar is this product at 8% level stung less than the 30% lactic acid, the mildest peel, so go figure. On me the lactic acid peel stings like hell. I am 55, fairly dry-normal quite fair skinned, burn easily--so commencing with all low levels and building gradually. The TCA 8% on me only very slightly stung and passed within a couple of minutes of application. After successfully doing patch test with absolutely no redness, swelling, and barely any sensation at all I proceeded w/no concerns. First application was one layer only; no frosting or problems; results were pigmented areas somewhat lightened, and wrinkles slightly softened. Second 8% application consisted of 2 layer application process; pigmentation substantially lifted and wrinkles very noticeably reduced, no frosting/problems. Third 8% application; before applying the 8% all over I dabbed the 12.5% on wrinkles first waited til the sting left (and yes it does sting more than 8%, lol)and then followed with 3 layers of 8% w/very slight frosting on areas where the 12.5% had been applied first...too early to know on results....just did it a couple of hours ago...had some redness and slight swelling where the 12.5% was applied, but that is very normal. My dermatologist recommended I follow peels with Curel Natural Healing w/green tea, aloe, & cucumber.....its a healing lotion available at any drugstore.....apparently it's a favorite w/tatoo artists for healing tatoo areas....I have never had a tatoo, but this stuff has worked great for me for after peels and after skin cancer treatment. Heals skin up quick and very soothing!!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I can't say enough about how much this TCA Peel has helped my skin. This has become a life saver, and I am so grateful I found this product.

A little bit of background about me; I'm in my late 20's with very fair skinned, and I had very bad cystic acne breakouts from the age of 14-19ish. During that time I developed pretty severe acne scarring on my cheeks and jaw line. I have tried multiple treatments to alleviate this scarring: Microdermabrasion, Dermaroller, Glycolic Peels, topical creams, I even went with Laser treatments totaling over $5,000 trying to diminish the look of my acne scarring.

I had no luck with any of these procedures, and finally in a last chance effort thought I would try out TCA peels to use the TCA cross method (applying peel only to the scar itself, not the overall skin area). I started very slowly with the smallest concentration possible and didn't notice too much of a difference. However, I thought I have nothing else to lose and kept up with the peels gradually increasing the strength VERY slowly.

I have seen better results using this at home TCA peel than I have with any professional treatment that cost 10x the amount of what I paid. I still have a ways to go, but I would say my scars have improved about 70% in the year and a half I have been using these peels. I couldn't be more pleased!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Let me start off by giving you some skin history. I have always had great skin that was only problematic once a month. That all changed after my husband, my children and myself moved to germany. I have no idea what happened. Maybe it was the stress, maybe it was the air, maybe it was lack of air conditioning in the summer, but my face freaked out! Within weeks of moving there, my perfect skin was the worst of my life. I didn't know what to do with it. It was sensitive to products designed for acne, but anything else seemed to clog my pores even more. After almost a year I found muac. I bought the 12.5 % TCA peel, but couldn't bring myself to use it. After having it for months and doing more research i decided to buy the 25% mandelic acid and 40% lactic acid. My skin is very fair, extremely ruddy, horrible hyperpigmentation, minor ice pick scars on the tops of cheeks, and extreme blackheads all over nose with a slight smattering over the rest of my face. I started with the lactic acid. It is awesome. Then i moved on the alternating the lactic and mandelic acids for about 3 weeks to a month before I finally decided to take the dive and do the TCA.
Day one:
I washed with neutrogena naturals fresh cleansing and makeup remover and used the ph prep step. I then prepared my neutralizer and set my timer. I took a q-tip and applied the 12.5% tca all over my face. The burn was awful. My face is sensitive and the lactic acid feels like sharp bug legs crawling all over my face. This was worse. I sat in front of my fan set to high, gritted my teeth and begged my husband to talk to me to try and help me get through as many minutes as i could stand. I lasted five minutes before i nuetralized. I didn't know this was going to burn so much. After neutralizing i rinsed my face with cool water and patted it dry. I then applied embryolisse lait creme concentre and went to sleep. My face was pink and slightly tender.
Day two:
I looked great. My skin was taught but not too dry, and I could see a more evenness, if thats a word.Used the same wash and moisturizer as the first day and they worked just fine.
Day three:
I look like leatherface. Horrible. Plus my skin is breaking out in a few places. Mostly there are just a few whiteheads peeking out, but i also have to deep painful pimples side by side on the top of my cheek.
Day four:
Still slightly breaking out with whiteheads, but my two painful pimples dried up all on their own and now i just have a very thick patch of red dry skin there. My skin is peeling soooo badly. I look horrible. My skin is extremely taught and dry, but i can see my new skin peeking out and it looks really great.
Day five:
Same as day four.
Day six:
Most of my peeling has subsided, everything but my forehead, which doesnt look that bad. Im hoping my face will be done peeling because this weekend is supposed to actually be nice in germany.

Overall, I am very happy I used this peel. The results from the lactc and mandelic acid were already pretty great, this is just awesome. I can't wait until I can do another. I plan to maintain this peel with my other peels and I will update after all my peeling is finished.

Update 2/18/15
This is still a winner in my book. I don't use it often because I don't have to. Once you get your skin to the way you want it all you have to do is maintain it. I haven't used stronger than 12.5 because my skin is sensitive and this is perfect for me, still awesome.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

One of the best TCA peels I've tried. Please let the record show, YOU DON'T HAVE TO 'PEEL' FOR A CHEMICAL PEEL TO WORK!!! That is one of the most annoying things for an esthetician to hear. You don't have to shed like a snake for the next week in order to get results from a chemical peel. Just because you don't experience major peeling means absolutely nothing. It's going to work exactly the same. In my experience you don't peel as much with TCA's but the effects are much more prominent and worthwhile.

I'm in my 40's, Asian with dry skin, fine wrinkles in the usual places, some mild blemishes from sun damage and scarring (I'm a picker). I have tough skin. In my 30's I started on renova, eventually moving up to retin A with excellent results. Then at some point the benefits seemed to wear off. I've been lax with my skincare in the last 8 years aside from occasional mechanical exfoliation or masks.

I received the tca 18% solution in a swap and diluted it to 9% and gave it a go. No burning; no frosting; no real peeling. Just that totally annoying tight mask-like feeling and random flaking for 10 days. I did moisturize (not knowing that it's better not to). But overall I was disappointed. Just the tiniest fading of some blemishes. The best part was the 'firming' up it did. I liked that it tightened up my face a bit.

For my second round i prepped with acetone. it burned a little bit and I did a second swipe 1/2way through the 10 minutes. One area frosted and eventually turned dark brown and peeled deeply. The skin underneath was fresh. I minimized the lotion. But again the tight mask-like face, random flakies and no real peel over the course of 10 days. My hope was kept alive by the eventual residual firmness that I loved. And a glimmer of freshness.

So I read up on this more and decided to do a month of the 30% glycolic acid peel to prep my skin for the TCA. Once or twice a week for a month. Easy peasy. Painless. And it polished up the surface of my skin. I was hopeful that by polishing the skin and evening out any microscopically patchy areas, the TCA would apply and penetrate more evenly.

So tonight I did the 9% TCA again. Prepped with acetone. Then, the TCA. It really BURNED (!) like I had expected it to the first time I tried months ago. There was light diffuse frosting on my cheekbone which I neutralized with a qtip and solution. At 5 min, I did a second swipe and got the same frosting on the other cheekbone. I neutralized those areas only and at 10 min I neutralized my entire face. Now it feels tight and I'm really hopeful that I'll get a real full face peel in 3-4 days. I applied Jurlique Calendula cream (camomille/anti-inflammatory) and jojoba oil with EO lavender for the night. Immediately regretted this because it seemed to over-moisturize my face and gave me a sense that my skin wouldn't peel after-all.

Day 1 : sunscreen, eye concealer, liner and lipstick only. mild tightness, but really underwhelming. almost like what i'd expect anyway from not wearing moisturizer. Overnight - no products.

Day 2 : same as above. no real change. no peeling. not even a sense that I'll peel. my face feels smooth and tight and looks clearer. not even leathery and mask-like as it had in the previous peels. I'm dubious. thinking i'll need to go straight to 18% next but really afraid of how much that might burn.

Day 3-4: The leathery skin started. It seems more evenly leathery and tight, so I'm hopeful that I'll get an even peel. some areas are more affected and i think those are areas where i may have done a 3rd swipe with the TCA. Day 3 after a long shower I very gently scrubbed with St. Ives Apricot scrub and that helped the flakies to start. Day 4 I helped it along by taking fine tweezers to peel of rice grain sized skin that was white on the edges all around. couldn't even feel it when i peeled it off, so I figure that shouldn't be a problem. when i have to go out i moisturize with jojoba oil, apply eye makeup with concealer and lipstick. not so bad. I figure i'll tell people that i had an allergic reaction to a product. when i get home, i wash my face to dry it out again.

Day 5-6; Crocodile skin esp day 5. My man was concerned and wondered if my skin would ever be normal again. I gently scrub with St. Ives Apricot scrub at the end of a long shower. And whenever I wash my face (using very warm water), I rub firmly, but not vigorously with my towel for an extended period when I dry off my face. I think these things help without damaging my skin. For the first time ever my sunscreen (La Roche Posay Anthelios 60) burns a tiny bit when I put it on. I probably have a few more days of final light peelies and will be done.

Overall I think the glycolic acid 30% peels for the prior month really helped the TCA achieve a deeper and more even handed peel (i.e. not as much patchy peeling). I'm just tired of how long this takes and wonder if there is a faster way. But I suspect you have to put in your time to get deeper results. Would I do it again? I think I tend to get amnesia re: the annoying wait; so I'll probably do it again in a couple months. But i will continue the glycolic acid regularly and perhaps increase the %.

Bottom line: I definitely got lightened, clearer skin. blemishes with a slight fade. skin firmed up. i feel confident to go out without any foundation or tinted moisturizer. And i used to always at least use the TM. I just need under eye concealer, eyeliner and lipstick and i think I look fresh.