April 18, 2014 | 1825 users online

Gels/Soaps - Ivory Soap

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2008 8:00:00 PM More reviews by yvonyvonnette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

No, never again! Drawn to its low price, I got a bar to try this out. It made me feel very clean but it also stripped my skin of its moisture. 20 minutes after my shower, i was itchy all over. I thought maybe I didn't rince it all off so I stepped back into the shower and rubbed my skin with water for 5 minutes or so. 20 minutes after that, not only was my skin still itchy but dry. I slapped on some moisturizer and went to bed. the next morning, my skin had bumps everywhere. needless to say, i threw this out vowing "never again"

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2008 6:39:00 PM More reviews by LuvPinkCottonCandy

This is one of THE WORST products on the market. I can't even call it skin care. When I was a teen, I had an allergic reaction to this soap that landed me in the hospital ER for 14 hours with my eyes so swollen shut, I couldn't get my contacts out until an hour after the epinephrine shot! I guess even though it is 99 44/100% natural it is that 56/100% that I am allergic to. It dried my skin out, I had scales like a fish. The only way to get rid of them was with prescription moisturizer.

Also, Ivory is NOT an animal-friendly product. Do ya'll know what TALLOW ACID is, which is listed on the ingredient list? It is inedible animal fat! Sounds like a good thing to put on your skin, huh?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2008 4:15:00 PM More reviews by CatherineSolo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't use this on my body, but as a face wash, I love it. After using Pro Activ, Philosophy, Cetaphil, and more, this is what I end up using. I can't believe it.

I was faithful to Pro Activ for almost 6 years, and then it stopped working for me. I broke out so badly. My skin is SO tempermental. And Ivory is the only thing that successfully cleans it and doesn't irritate it. I wash, then exfoliate if I feel like it, and then wash again. Always twice. I have found that makes a difference (once to remove makeup, once to really cleanse the skin). It's simple, and it works wonders.

Little note: cleansers that are designed for acne care are often bogus. Cleansers don't deposit anything into your skin (as they probably shouldn't, considering they're designed to cleanse things OFF your skin). So why use a so-called acne fighting wash when really it's the other products you use that will be helpful.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2008 12:10:00 PM More reviews by mightymittens

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really really REALLY don't like this :( My parents would buy it when I was little and it totally dried out my skin and left me kinda itchy. I now only use liquid soaps because they don't leave a film on my skin and I find don't dry me out the way bar ones do. I don't even like dove soap because I find it's still kinda rough on my skin, let alone Ivory. However, I have tried the Ivory liquid soap and that stuff is pretty good.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ivory Soap is as pure as soap gets. No added moisturizers or colors or botanicals or AHAs, just basic white soap with a very light scent. I haven't seen an ingredients list, but I'd bet it's short. Depending on my mood, that's either a good thing or a bad thing.

I wouldn't use this on my face unless it was followed by a liquid cleanser, because as a true soap, Ivory leaves a "squeaky" film on my oily skin. However, I do like it as a body soap when I am very sweaty from the gym, because it makes me feel cleaner than oil-laden body washes. It's great for bathing my toddler, too. Nothing harmful about Ivory, but nothing really beneficial, either. More useful in summer than in winter for me. I think a lot of my attraction to the product is nostalgia and love of "classics." Many soaps are nicer to use, but Ivory is the best at getting off the grub and leaving skin smelling neutral.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/5/2008 1:17:00 AM More reviews by goldenfae

This stuff still leaves me unclean. I love how it rinses off squeaky clean. But I have acne on my chest and back and I've noticed that I'm still as sticky from dirt, oil, and sweat in those areas after the shower as I was before it. And it doesn't completely get rid of deodorant and body odors from my armpits. More like cover them up. I don't remember having this problem before but I think they might've changed the formulation. Or at least it feels that way.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2008 8:31:00 AM More reviews by Savvy890

this is cheap, and it great!
-it cleans
-it is sensitive to my skin
-it only has the lihtest scent of aloe
-you can get 3 bars for $1
4 lippies (like someone else said, no bells and whistles, it just does what it's supposed to do) i like dove go fresh alot!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2008 4:14:00 PM More reviews by apollosrose

This is a cheap, basic soap without any bells and whistles. It does what it is supposed to do - clean. It does not cause me breakouts, rashes, itchiness, or any other side effects.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2008 10:48:00 PM More reviews by Zevie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My dermat recommended a plain soap with no added moisturizers for my acne. She said Ivory was the cheapest and the best. I started using Ivory, along with new acne meds, and my skin has never been better! I know the meds play a huge part but if I were to forget to use them and just use Ivory for a few days, my skin will still remain clear. I won't use any other soap on my face. I use Ivory on my body too although I always use a shower gel afterward for extra moisture.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2008 4:48:00 PM More reviews by thirdstrokelucky

The worst soap I've ever used! You would think Ivory would gently cleanse your skin because of its white (and therefore innocent) packaging, and its slogan "Simply Ivory."

The result of using this soap on my hands was red itchy patches! Horrible. The fragrance is horrible too.

Jergens is better by far.

Ingredients: SODIUM TALLOWATE AND/OR SODIUM PALMATE, WATER, SODIUM COCOATE AND/OR SODIUM PALM KERNELATE, GLYCERIN, SODIUM CHLORIDE, FRAGRANCE, COCONUT ACID*, PALM KERNEL ACID*, TALLOW ACID*, PALM ACID*, TETRASODIUM EDTA.

*CONTAINS ONE OR MORE OF THESE INGREDIENTS.
(The ingredients don't sound simple to me what with the and/or's and the asterisks.)