April 21, 2014 | 1227 users online

Polishes - Revlon - Vixen

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2007 11:40:00 AM More reviews by tmpr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Fortunately for my wallet, Revlon lasts a great long time on my short nails. So I can really enjoy the color on my tips for a while. During the cooler months, I gravitate towards the deep, rich, vampy colors that add some warm drama and pizazz to an otherwise cool, steel blue day.

Vixen is a beautiful, rich burgandy with hits of reds and browns. There is no sparkle or shimmer to this nailpolish; it is a straight up cream. The brush distributes the polish evenly, the polish dries pretty quickly (for a regular polish), and all I need are two coats. Usually the polish keeps its shine until I take it off (at the sign of the first chip, which is around the 4th or 5th day).

The definite thumbs up for this staple winter color.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2007 7:01:00 PM More reviews by rutgutpoo

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am 55 and remember wearing black polish in my 20's and so I loved this because from a distance it looks black. I think it looks sexy and stylish. I am not a fan of Revlon polish and prefer Chanel for the shine and chip resistance but this was only $4.00 at Target so I grabbed it.
I like wearing my nails short and this color would look so wrong on anything but short nails. It would go from looking hip to sleezy.
This is streaky and chippy polish but is OK for the few months I will be wearing it.
I am a pale skinned blond and it looks fantastic on me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2007 11:17:00 AM More reviews by abcx123

I got this because I heard it's similar to the cult classic Vamp. I've never seen vamp but I guess I like to buy things that are popular. This is an okay polish-average staying power and a bit streaky, which can be fixed with a few coats. The colour doesn't go very nicely with my Asian skintone, but I'm sure it is a great fall colour for others.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2007 1:28:00 PM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Iíve had this nailpolish in my possession for a few years . . . a little after Chanel came out with Vamp. I had never bothered using it because I had planned to give it to a friend, but then somehow forgot or something rather. I applied it the other day in anticipation of Halloween and well, Iím pretty glad I ďconveniently forgotĒ to gift this to my friend. Itís a deep deep, almost bordering on brown, but not quite maroon. No frost to it, just strictly shine. Very sexy for such an occasion as Halloween or just everyday wear. It might be a tad too vampy for a conservative work environment, but itís a great alternative to the usual bright apple red. The longevity of this naipolish is as good as OPI with a base and topcoat Ė which I always do. I have to apply two generous layers to get the nice opaque color as shown in the bottle. Beautiful just beautiful. This is coming from someone who very very rarely wears nail polish. If I ever ran out of this and I doubt I will, I will repurchase. But must I say, kudos to Revlon! After the many years of owning this, itís still in great usable condition.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2007 3:29:00 PM More reviews by laurentoohott0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product is alright. It was a nice color and thats what attracted me but it was a little too dark for me. I wanted to try out something like this versus the brighter shades or red im used to, but it just didnt work for me. The application was okay although it wasnt too strong. If you like these types of dark shades it may work for you, but I ended up giving the bottle away.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2007 10:22:00 PM More reviews by loreleilee33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this color. One coat gives you a nice lighter red (not blue based IMO, but still looks nice with my super pale, cool undertoned skin) - 2 or 3 coats gives you a dark vampy deep red that's really beautiful. I don't have a problem with streakiness, & i actually prefer a small brush so I can get in the corners. Using a topcoat is necessary, since it does tend to chip, but i've yet to find a polish that doesn't. Will repurchase....

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2007 1:41:00 AM More reviews by essiegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

My comments are pretty much the same as the previous reviewer. It's a lovely color, but it is very streaky that it is necessary to put at least two coats. I definitely prefer OPI's wide brush to Revlon's brush, which makes application more difficult. As well, tiny bubbles are visible. It was worth trying out this color, although I probably wouldn't buy it again.. only because I probably wouldn't run out. I will yet to try my Essie's "Wicked" but the two shades look very similar, and we will see how the application goes. Nothing beats OPI's wide brushes!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2007 10:27:00 AM More reviews by jhadiq

Well, fall is here, and I found myself buying this on impulse at the DS - I do like these deep colors for fall, and figured it was time to give the infamous "Vixen" a try. I haven't used Revlon polishes since HS, so I was also interested in seeing what I thought of it since the last time I used it.

Color: Others have described this well, and the color is famous enough that I don't really have to go into it. My skin tone is fair, neutral tending to cool (Asian). I love how the color looks on me - on my short nails, the look is polished, sophisticated, and makes my fingers look longer and more elegant. I dont think the look is at all goth (at least not on me) and is appropriate for work when wearing dark, fall colors. I would also use this on my toes in the summer.

Application: Here is where my love affair with this polish ends! the first time I applied it using my normal procedure of OPI ridge filler as a base, 3 coats (letting each coat dry before applying the next), then OPI topcoat. The brush is thinner and smaller than the OPI brushes, which to me, made application more difficult. The brush is definitely poorer quality than what I am used to with OPI. As others have noted, there is some streakiness with the first coat. After two coats, most of the streakiness was gone, and definitely gone with three. HOWEVER, I noticed tiny bubbles formed on the surface, and the color with three coats was a bit more dark than I would like. I removed the polish the next day, thinking I should just be more careful with application, and only apply 2 coats. My hope was that I would't get the bubbles, and I would have a lighter color. Well, I got the lighter color, but if I look very closely at the nail, you can still see a smidge of streakiness, and I still have air bubbles!! Look, I am no pro when it comes to polish application, but I can say that I don't have these issues when I use OPI polish that has been opened and older than this new bottle of Revlon. Anyway, my manicure with this stuff looks cheap and crappy from day one, no matter how careful I am! Horrid!

Durability: Durability is decent/average, no chips for 3-5 days, which is standard for me.

This experience has reminded me why it is worth paying just a smidge more for OPI. Love the color, but I believe I can find something similar with OPI or Essie.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2007 6:38:00 PM More reviews by littlebella25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have to say the last reviewer was wayy wrong when she said "I'd say this is definitely a cooler toned, bluer-based color. I'm very warm toned and it looks great on me, my mother is very cool and it isn't flattering to her skin tone."

This is a neutral very dark blackish red that is so very in, this season. I have warm toned light olive skin and it looks fantastic, one of my roommates has paler skin with cooler undertones and my other roommate is pale with peachy undertones and it looks great on all three of us--I'd say it's appropriate for ages 16-35--it's a little too trendy/goth for anyone older.

chips like a son of a gun though and doesn't stay that shiny if you apply more than 1 coat--i've heard essie's berry hard is better.. i don't know for sure though

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2007 7:40:00 AM More reviews by askr

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like to wear this on my feet--it's a deep burgundy without shimmer. Nice color; no streaking and lasts forever. Nice on hands too but too strong for work though. I've also layered this on top of a brighter red nail polish underneath to lighten the effect and it still looks great!