John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shine Release Moisturizing Shampoo

3.7

WATER, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE, GLYCOL DISTEARATE, DIMETHICONE, COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE, CETYL ALCOHOL, BETAINE, COCAMIDE MEA, FRAGRANCE, GLYCERYL OLEATE, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, BENZYL ALCOHOL, CARAMEL, DISODIUM EDTA, MALIC ACID, LAURETH-4, LAURETH-23, SODIUM CHLORIDE, GLYCINE, SODIUM XYLENESULFONATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, THEOBROMA CACAO (COCOA) SEED BUTTER, PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, PEARL POWDER, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, LECITHIN, ALCOHOL, RETINYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE

on 2/24/2009 10:07:00 PM

I think this is a surprisingly good buy.

Price: Depending where you get it, it's around CAN$9. It sometimes goes on sale though so keep your eyes opened!

Scent: This is a little difficult to describe. It's a mild creamy scent with a hint of cocoa or some sort of nutty flavor. It doesn't make your hair smell like food though. After washing it out, it leaves a nice, clean scent.

Texture: Creamy, but not too heavy. Only need a quarter sized for my shoulder-length hair and it bubbles up really well. Because I only need so little, I find that a whole tube lasts me a good 2 months at least.

Effects: Very moisturizing. When I first got it, it was the summertime and I found that it was a bit too heavy on my long straight hair. During the wintertime though, it's fabulous. Doesn't weigh my hair down and gives it just the right amount of moisture. I use it everyday and I love it!

It comes in tube form so it's easier to squeeze out the excess towards the end. I'm a shampoo whore and I've used many different brands from drugstore brands to higher end salon brands. I find that this one really gives you great value and great hair. Definitely recommend.

on 2/18/2009 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This shampoo is really good, it is so moisturizing. It also smells fantastic and gives your hair great shine. I love it, I really feel like it protects my hair and my hair is very long and damaged, I put it through a lot. I really like it. The only problem I have with it is it's a bit on the expensive side, like $6 for each product which is a problem for me since I love the whole line.

on 2/17/2009 12:44:00 PM

I was very surprised at the difference this shampoo has made. I have fine, color-treated hair (dark brown) and was looking for something to give some extra shine.

This shampoo actually makes my hair shiny! I love it. And it smells very very good. My only complaint is that it contains SLS which I really prefer to avoid. I do not think it is causing my hair to fade any faster, but it's still a harsh detergent.

on 2/6/2009 6:55:00 AM

I use both the shampoo and the conditioner from this range every day, like them a lot. My hair is fine and naturally shiny, but it could do with a bit more volume. I think these products do just that, as opposed to other moisturising shampoos that tend to flatten the hair. It has a chocolatey smell that lasts in my hair. I only wish it would be cheaper, since it takes me back almost 20 Euro for both (in Boots).

EDIT: Since my review I have stopped using this because I decided to give up products that contain sulphates (Sodium Laureth Sulphate) and preservatives. I am now using the Naked range, the shampoos are very mild and the conditioners are silicone free.

I didn't notice this shampoo made my hair shiny or enrich my color.
I although, unlike any other shampoo I've ever used, when I rinsed it out, my hair felt nice and soft, opposed to feeling hard like I had just sprayed a whole can of hairspray in it.
that's how it usually feels with others.

on 1/20/2009 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have medium dark brown hair. I color every 3-4 months. My hair is fine but thick and a little wavy, shoulder length has a tendency to be dry.

I didn't give it the worst because I loved the smell and lather.

Pro's:
1.The smell (is yummy) like cocoa or nuts or something.
2. The lathering, very sudsy.
3. You can tell which is the shampoo and which is the conditioner without your glasses on in the shower!!

Con's
1. I had an allergic reaction. Sneezing, itchy watery eyes, runny nose.
2. Made my hair a little dry and flyaway and as another reader said a little 'poofy'.
3. No noticeable shine, a little duller possibly.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

i didn't notice anything different in the color of my hair. it never brought out any natural highlights or whatever it claims to do. just another basic, "okay" shampoo in my book. but the smell is lovely though.

on 11/15/2008 1:28:00 AM

Using this product keeps my hair sexy and shiny. However, Brilliant Brunette does not make my hair soft and silky. As the product does not hydrate, it does not deliver that luscious, touchable texture for which we all crave. Thus, this shampoo provides only the illusion of softness; nevertheless, the resulting appearance is simply gorgeous. I love the definition and radiance it gives my hair. Also, the shampoo leaves my hair with a fantastic, lasting smell. The scent is lightly fruity with expresso; it is absolutely divine. So, I recommend this product if you are looking for shiny hair, but definitely not if you want a well-moisturized mane.

on 10/25/2008 8:57:00 PM

This is way too harsh on my very fine hair. After two uses, my hair feels really stripped and dry with no shine. Also, it makes my hair a lot more frizzy/poofy. It's just way too harsh for fragile hair. (But the matching moisturizing conditioner is my HG!)

on 10/3/2008 9:50:00 AM

Love this! Along with the moisturizing conditioner, I've seen a nice improvement in my dark brown hair. And all from a DS brand, who would've thought? This coming from someone who always bought the high end brands that my (former) hair stylist pushed on me. Love the smell, love the shine, love that I get it BOGO when it goes on sale!