September 2, 2014 | 1816 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Gardenia

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2005 9:52:00 AM More reviews by youngnjaded

Oh, my! what a great scent. so soft, so feminine. I got a sample and loved it right away. Soft jasmine with a hint of green and a creamy base. so pretty, so perfect for hot days. It is a very simple scent but sometimes those are the hardest to keep from smelling off or cheap. When DH got home, he confirmed how, ahem, attractive this scent is. The only reasons I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 is i only got 3-4 hours out of it and for that price, I think it should wear a little longer. Also, I wish some of the other notes stuck around after drydown. But I wish Chanel would make it part of the regular line. I would buy it, despite the lasting time and the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2005 4:32:00 AM More reviews by PeroxideGloss

A few years ago I couldn't have grasped the idea of a "cult fragrance" seeing as I thought of perfume as something more of a hygenic accessory, not a fashion statement as I see it now. Today I understand perfectly thanks to Gardenia, which is high up there on the list of sought after cult fragrances. It's one of the more unique florals I've ever smelled. I'm picky about florals because a lot of them tend to fall into the same category for me....sweet or musky. This stands in that rare little category of creamy vanilla florals and really smells like nothing else. This is good for the daytime during any season, if not too humid. It's not sharp, but it isn't so baby soft that it's 'girly'. On the contrary! It's very grown up. Vanilla is dominant, but the presence of Chanels signature white florals (Jasmine being the strongest) makes it familiar. The packaging is of course simple and art deco. It's a crying shame I can only find the Eua de Tolette right now.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2005 10:37:00 AM More reviews by star811

It's funny that I actually tried this because 1) I don't particularly like Gardenia (I won't get into why that is) and 2) I don't particularly like Chanel fragrances. I was told this doesn't actually smell like Gardenia (hmm, what a misleading name) so I decided to check it out. Well it definitely has a white floral accord, but I don't get an overwhelming gardenia note. And while it is beautiful and pleasant smelling, there are other white florals I'd wear before this one.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2005 2:49:00 AM More reviews by marina169

I finally decided to try this to see if it lived to it's hype, expecially since I'm big Gardenia fan. Unfortunatly I was extremely disappointed. I Think it smelled pretty good for about a minute then all of a sudden I started having flash backs to those cheap floral plug in air freshners my mom used to put in the bathroom. Yuk!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2005 4:55:00 PM More reviews by dusty333

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

So all revved up for this one thanks to Perfumegirl's helpful advice I went to the Chanel counter and cheerfully asked the sales girl if I could smell this fragarnce. She tilted her head to the side and smiles (you southern girls know this pose) and said "Awww I am sorry this was a LD last summer...this summer it is Le Fleur...would ya like to smell that?" I could feel the vein pulsing in my head as my chilren were engaging in a chorus of "no I didn't..yes you did". Squelching the urge to reach across the counter and pull her over by her perfectly ironed shirt I said" Do you happen to still have the tester?". "Oh SURE" she says....(now I really wanna beat her senseless or yank out her nose stud...)and hands me a 1/2 empty tester. Ohhhhh maaaaannnn....breathe deep..this stuff is heaven. Not exactly the gardenia smell I am still seeking but the soft floral blew me away. Soft fluffy clouds yall....... I guess I will be getting this one on line. She gave me a sample of Coco Mademoiselle(sp) bc she started feeling sorry for my after watching my kids hit each other with thier Build-A-Bear toys...me likie..see that review.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2005 10:59:00 PM More reviews by hollywoodgurl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

One of my fave gardenia perfumes. Only reason I didn't give it 5 lippies is due to the fact that it doesn't have any lasting power whatsoever, what a shame! Such a pretty scent.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2005 3:52:00 PM More reviews by wcw74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love gardenias but sadly this fragrance just didnt work for me. I do detect some gardenias in the fragrance but it smelled too synthetic for me. Also the fragrance was gone after an hour so lasting power is not there which I'm thankful for. What a pity.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2005 1:49:00 AM More reviews by jilljilljill

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This fragrance smells really nice. However, it won't last long and the packaging of the bottle is very plain. It's okay for me if this product is expensive and the quality is good. However, this product is very expensive and the quality is not good. I definitely won't buy this product anymore.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2005 9:59:00 PM More reviews by nancy_183

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like this, I love gardenias!! After reading so many good reviews on here, I thought I would like it to. I didn't. Maybe it just didn't work well with my body chemistry. It smelled too much like candy mixed with flowers on me. I guess I'll just stick to the real flower. :P

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2005 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Barbatia

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was once wearing this while sitting in an empty bar,waiting on a man who never showed up.The bartender was an older fella and we got to talking. He leaned close as he passed me a free drink & said,"You smell pretty,so classy,like women used to...when all the ladies wore stockings with seams." Chanel Gardenia is the glorious, feminine,ladylike white flower fragrance that makes memories.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No