October 25, 2014 | 1495 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 3:00:00 PM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

**Edit - see at end of review for tips on retouching roots only **
I have used this product consistently for the past 20 years and it has never let me down.
If it is your first time highlighting your hair, please read and follow the instructions to a T and remember to PLEASE ladies and gents, do the strand test!
Here's what I think is important when using this product:
If it's your first time, have someone with you to help you pull through the back.
Start with hair that is tangle free and not freshly washed. I usually do mine the day after I've washed it.
Figure out if you want all over highlights, face framing or a few strands and then map out where you're going to pull.
I always find this works best for me when I brush my hair back before putting the cap on VS putting cap on when my hair is in it's normal part. This way, you're getting product evenly through your hair and not emphasizing one area (hope this makes sense).
Start pulling from the lower sides upward so that you're not having to brush hair out of your face, the top of your head is last. Then do back of your head, working your way towards the front. When pulling, the needle should face up, this makes it much easier to pull, trust me.
After all the hair is pulled, please brush through the strands with a fine tooth comb to make sure that all the hair is out of the hole evenly.
Apply the product to the pulled through hair as directed. I do use a dye brush to do this.
When your hair is processing, you will see it turn orange first, then yellow - don't panic, this is normal and is your color lifting. It will then turn blonde.
The most important thing in highlighting your hair is THE LENGTH OF TIME you leave the product on your hair, this depends TOTALLY on your natural hair color. If your hair is already light, your processing time is less than someone who has dark hair. Again, read the instructions!
When your processing time is done, untie the cap but leave it on and rinse out the product from the highlighted hair. I then add conditioner to it in order to help with removing the cap (it slides right off if you do this).
When the cap is off, then shampoo and condition as usual.
If your hair is already highlighted, you should apply the product only to the visible roots with a dye brush and process as usual. Avoid as much as possible, applying this product to already highlighted hair as it will fry your hair!
Overall I've saved hundreds if not thousands over the years using this product and I love it an will always use it!
Canadians - The cheapest I've found this product is at Superstore of all places at $9.99 regular price compared to $14.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart!
**Tips For ROOT TOUCH UPS ONLY **
- Pull hair through cap as you would normally. Try as much as possible to pull in same way you did the first time, ie: same holes and same amount of hair - you can use the plastic needle that comes in the box or purchase one that suits how much hair you want to pull. I purchased a set of needles at Sally's that pull different amounts of hair and they work very well.
- Don't worry about root touch up not matching old highlights exactly! If you map out where you're going to pull and how much to match what you did originally, IT WILL BLEND!
- Place product on roots only, to do this, I use a small dye brush I purchased at Sally's. This process is very lengthy and meticulous, yes I go row by row, being very careful to place only on roots. I usually start from the back and work my way to the front of my head and then to the sides.
-If you color your base as I do, do this first (roots only) then do your roots (highlights). I usually do my base color then do my roots for highlights 2 days later. This gives the base time to set as I only shampoo the next day and leaves a day in between the shampoo and the highlights.

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2012 2:08:00 PM More reviews by xtasteofimpact

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So surprised at how well this worked !! Used the lighter blonde one on length hair that was already highlighted like a caramel color. I didn't get too close to my roots which was my fault, I didn't think I selected strands evenly on both sides and left it on around 50-55 minutes. The results honestly are comparable to a salon, just very even and multi faceted. Would definitely do again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2012 2:04:00 AM More reviews by krissay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

SO HAPPY WITH THIS! I got the Honey kit for medium-dark brown hair, my hair is naturally med-dark brown.. used the product as instructed, left in my hair for about 30 mins and I now have the PERFECT frosted brown/blonde hair. My hair now looks really beachy, gorgeous and kinda like the VS model look (think Alessandra and Adriana's hair from a while ago). Love love love and I will keep using this stuff forever and ever and ever.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by Ashjasgreen

I just tried this today and I LOVE it! I was a little nervous about blonde highlighting at home. I usually dye my own hair but go to the salon for highlights. My husband helped me pull the hair through the cap, and i left the dye on for 55 minutes so it wouldn't be orange or brassy. I will continue to buy this product. My hair came out amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by tdhx0

I normally have medium brown hair. I used this kit to OMBRE my hair, not as a highlighting kit. So I have no experience with the cap. Anyways! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this product! Actually makes me hair blonde and not brassy orange. I split my hair on two sides. Then I start placing color on my tips. Then after 20mins I add more higher up on my hair then after 15 add some more a little closer to the crown of my head then about 8 mins later hop in the shower and I get beauitful ombre. Highly recommend this kit! I used the blonde to light brown kit. I've used the medium brown honey one once and wasn't as crazy about the results as I am with the blond to light brown. It doesn't have brassy notes in it like the honey kit does.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 11:45:00 PM More reviews by bj06

Well i am always bad at lightening my hair. This product really works. I had JUST dyed my hair a soft brown with a box and i liked it but ive been in the mood to play with my hair so i bought this in the platinum. I even applied it to my extensions and came out wonderful. I did have to double process and it works so much better if you use foil and your hair dryer. I left it on for 40 minutes , washed it and re applied for another 40 and it really comes out great. ( and thats on previously dyed hair) and the shampoo and conditioner are really nice too. I used my silver lights shampoo with it and it looks great- i got it on sale for $7! and there is plenty of mix to double process or long hair, or extensions. always test to see how its going to come out. Ill be using again. the cap is a long process of pulling pieces out but it gives you a nice natural look because the pieces are so small. try it , you can always get a toner.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2012 2:00:00 PM More reviews by nwildeisen

I ADORE this kit! I have naturally light brown hair which I dye platinum blonde. I use this kit to do my roots and I get perfect results every time. I cover my hair with plastic and let it develop for 45 minutes or so. I do not get any red or gold tones in my hair. This is the best product I have ever used!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by peachmow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not picky on the packaging quality, it's not expensive and it does a good job.
My hair is currently a faded brown (yes, coloured) and I'm planning on dying my hair back to blonde. I've used this kit before to dye my whole head back to blonde (which is my original colour). I used ALL the wholes on the cap. I put it on and in LESS THAN 10 MINUTES, my hair was already a bright white. There was no yellow, and I didn't even use a plastic bag to cover my head with. I left it on for 30 minutes just in case.. but seriously! I washed it out and my hair was blonde and bleached! Wow! I actually wanted a honey blonde, but that's ohk. I went out to the store and bought Revlon's Colorsilk blonde colour and it was a beautiful blonde! This really does the trick, for highlighting and for the whole head (w/cap). Definitely buying this again :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2012 6:13:00 AM More reviews by OvErDoSeDoNbEaUtii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this product. iv been using it since I was 14/15...im 22 now. When I got older I started going to a salon to get my hair done, but over time it got to expensive, so I decided I'd do it myself like I use to. My hair is layered, the top crown has heavy blonde highlight and the bottom is dark brown. I use this product to re highlight my hair, I use the honey highlight for dark brown hair since my natural hair is medium brownish, I leave it on for a 1hr everytime I use it. that's just what works for me though....and it came out great. I don't like the shampoo and conditioner though, id recommend using a purple toner shampoo if your using this or have highlight or blonde hair in general, it will help keep the highlights up and remove any brassy/orange/yellow tones in your hair I use Clairol shimmer lights, a few times a week, you get it at sally's...overall I like and recommend this product iv never had a bad experience with it

I GET MINE AT WALMART EVERYTIME, ITS WAY CHEAPER THERE THEN AT WALGREENS AND CVS

PICTURE -----> http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/JessicaRabbit90/?action=view¤t=ddsfsd2.jpg

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2012 1:15:00 AM More reviews by joeyla79

This was my first time highlighting my hair at home. I was very nervous, but it turned out better than I could have hoped for! I have shoulder length light brown hair that had salon highlights about four months ago. It was clear that it was time for a touch up. I used 'honey highlights for medium to dark brown hair'. I didn't find the hair pulling through the cap to be as terrible as many reviews said. It did take about an hour to do 2/3 of my head, but it wasn't too bad. Thankfully I was watching my hair closely, because it was bright blonde in 25 minutes! It actually turned out a little lighter than I had planned, but I like it. Only complaint is that I couldn't get the color as close to my scalp as it would have been at the salon... but for $7 I really don't care!

Do be careful how thick you pull the hair through. I did end up with a large blonde streak near my face. My hair isn't dried out the way many reviews mentioned. Maybe it will be after another wash, but tonight it feels great. I will definitely be using this product again!