Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

on 12/12/2012 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I don't usually write reviews, but this product deserves it. I have used various different brands of home hair color but always end up with brassy/ orange hair, and end up having to go to the salon anyways to get it fixed. I heard good things about this product, and decided to give it a shot, even though I was not expecting much. I used the blonde color, and it looks just as good if not better than when I go to the salon for highlights that cost more than $100.I have used it twice now. I say give this product a shot.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

AMAZING.

I am never paying salon prices again. I was in a quandry this morning, as I had the impulsive urge to get my hair highlighted, but didn't feel right shelling out the cash to get it done professionally.

Read the reviews and went for it, and I am extremely impressed. I did the honey highlights for my medium brown hair. It turned out natural, professional, and beautiful looking.

The only negative aspect is that it is quite labor intensive. Simple and easy to do, but labor intensive none the less. It is best you have someone with you to help you out, specifically with the back parts. I struggled awkwardly for over an hour with a mirror trying to get the crown and back finished, and eventually gave up as I had no one with me to help. But it still looks brilliant just as a half head.

on 11/9/2012 3:19:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This product really delivers- especially for a $7 drugstore kit. I wanted to write a review on this because of all the wonderful, helpful reviews that made me brave enough to attempt highlighting my own hair. I read just about every review and had my kit stored in my closet for months before i had the courage to try it. This was the first time I have ever highlighted my hair myself without going to a professional. What kept me from trying this? Fear of brassy, orange hair and uneven color... none of which happened. This has got a seriously good rating here for being a hair color product with bleach. Revlon is doing something right.

I typically pull really brassy, orange hair when I use any sort of lightening agent or bleach. I have course, thick, Asian hair (notoriously hard to lift, doesn't take color well). I was getting frustrated spending around $145 at various Chicago salons for highlights because my hair would barely lift and i never felt completely satisfied with the end result, especially for what i was paying plus the 2 hours at the salon. With the Revlon kit in Honey, I was able to go from a level 6 light-medium golden brown to beautiful caramel and honey highlights. I purchased the Magicap from Sally's but decided that the Revlon was easier to use and fit my head better, though I did use the metal hook from the purple Magicap. Love that the bleach mixture is blue to tone down any brass/orange. In my opinion, the cap was snug and very easy to use. Both hooks worked fine and didn't hurt even though I poked through the holes along the way. The process overall was not as bad as I had expected.

I was scared to do allover highlights in case the root area turned out brassy or the ends wouldn't lift as evenly. I only wanted highlights placed on the middle to bottom layers of my hair, so I went straight across my head starting at the temples, pulling small pieces out of only the circled holes. It took 45 minutes to pull the strands carefully. 5 Min to apply the color. The full 60 minutes to lift my resistant hair to a light caramel brown-honey blonde. I waited for the most of the orange to disappear and rinsed when I started seeing a peachy blonde. Remember: if you're not sure when to rinse or have any feeling it will still be a bit orange, wait 5-10 min and check again! Too light and not brassy is always better than orange and brassy. You can always tone down too-light hair color with a demi permanent dye if necessary. (I like Wella in the blue box from Sally's) The highlights come out very blended and subtle with two small pulls of hair with a metal hook. The plastic one included pulls out larger sections. With the metal hook and two pulls per hole, I had blended highlights that were nowhere near chunky or too subtle. Just very well blended, fine to medium thickness. Looks very professional and brightened up my hair overall with sun kissed looking highlights.

Some advice:
-Like many others have said, don't freak out and rinse early. Get past the orange stage. The highlights will blend in more and look better after drying.
-Tie or pin back all unhighlighted hair and if any of the bleach mixture gets on it, wash it off very thoroughly. This bleach is very strong and even when I got tiny wisps of hair slightly covered in the mixture, then wiped it off, it still came out a tad lighter than the hair around it.
-Strand test every 10 minutes and check from root to the ends to ensure the color is evenly lifted.
-If you have long hair and want to do full highlights, I'd recommend buying 2 kits. One kit was perfect for half a head of highlights on hair length that is just past my chest.

Hope this helps and good luck!

on 10/16/2012 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am in heaven! This kit created beautiful blonde highlights in my dark brown pixie cut hair in almost no time! I pulled on the cap, tied it securely--if you don't you may experience product leakage; fortunately this did no thappen to me--and used their hook to pull strands from my crown to around my face. As other reviewers havenoted, turn the hook upside down, then ineet and pull, with moderate pressure. I had no pain and I was pretty vigorous! I kept checking the color--paranoid about getting brassy or orange ---bu t then remembered to let it do its thing and pull past the brassy stage without panicking! This I did. I rinsed in about 20 minutes, maybe 25. And voila! Blonde highlights evenly placed (take care to pull evently and when all hair is pulled, brush gently into your usual style so you will see where you will have highlights...then go back and pull more if needed. It's best to pull less initially, then see if you need to comb into place and pull more. I used their shampoo and condish, and my hair was silky. It wasn't in the greatest shape to begin with but I plan on deep conditioning every other day.
I hope this helps and happy highlighting!

on 10/6/2012 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used this several times and have made several reviews, I think this will be my fifth, at least. This is an amazing product, if used wisely. First of all, the plastic hook works just fine. I had trouble at first but watched some youtube videos and the trick is to hold the tool so that the hook part is facing up, makes a world of difference. Using this technique made everything so much easier and eliminated the need to pre-poke holes. When doing the sides of your head, have the hook facing out, if you try to poke holes through with the hook facing towards your head, it just doesn't work well at all, this could be what's causing so much difficulty.
Doing every other hole gives a natural look and I always leave it on the full 60 minutes in order to get a true-blonde look. I have light brown hair and have used both kits for the honey blonde and regular blonde. I find the kit for honey blonde is very strong and I have much more breakage when I use that one.
Oh, and I always have my hubs help me with the back, there's just no way I can do that myself with much accuracy.

on 9/18/2012 3:00:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

**Edit - see at end of review for tips on retouching roots only **
I have used this product consistently for the past 20 years and it has never let me down.
If it is your first time highlighting your hair, please read and follow the instructions to a T and remember to PLEASE ladies and gents, do the strand test!
Here's what I think is important when using this product:
If it's your first time, have someone with you to help you pull through the back.
Start with hair that is tangle free and not freshly washed. I usually do mine the day after I've washed it.
Figure out if you want all over highlights, face framing or a few strands and then map out where you're going to pull.
I always find this works best for me when I brush my hair back before putting the cap on VS putting cap on when my hair is in it's normal part. This way, you're getting product evenly through your hair and not emphasizing one area (hope this makes sense).
Start pulling from the lower sides upward so that you're not having to brush hair out of your face, the top of your head is last. Then do back of your head, working your way towards the front. If you are doing this alone, you will need to hold a mirror to look at the back of your head on your wall mirror. Yes it will take time to get used to this. When pulling, the needle should face up, this makes it much easier to pull, trust me.
After all the hair is pulled, please brush through the strands with a fine tooth comb to make sure that all the hair is out of the hole evenly.
Apply the product to the pulled through hair as directed. I do use a dye brush to do this.
When your hair is processing, you will see it turn orange first, then yellow - don't panic, this is normal and is your color lifting. It will then turn blonde.
The most important thing in highlighting your hair is THE LENGTH OF TIME you leave the product on your hair, this depends TOTALLY on your natural hair color. If your hair is already light, your processing time is less than someone who has dark hair. Again, read the instructions!
When your processing time is done, untie the cap but leave it on and rinse out the product from the highlighted hair. I then add conditioner to it in order to help with removing the cap (it slides right off if you do this).
When the cap is off, then shampoo and condition as usual.
If your hair is already highlighted, you should apply the product only to the visible roots with a dye brush and process as usual. Avoid as much as possible, applying this product to already highlighted hair as it will fry your hair!
Overall I've saved hundreds if not thousands over the years using this product and I love it an will always use it!
Canadians - The cheapest I've found this product is at Superstore of all places at $9.99 regular price compared to $14.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart!
**Tips For ROOT TOUCH UPS ONLY **
- Pull hair through cap as you would normally. Try as much as possible to pull in same way you did the first time, ie: same holes and same amount of hair - you can use the plastic needle that comes in the box or purchase one that suits how much hair you want to pull. I purchased a set of needles at Sally's that pull different amounts of hair and they work very well.
- Don't worry about root touch up not matching old highlights exactly! If you map out where you're going to pull and how much to match what you did originally, IT WILL BLEND!
- Place product on roots only, to do this, I use a small dye brush I purchased at Sally's. This process is very lengthy and meticulous, yes I go row by row, being very careful to place only on roots. I usually start from the back and work my way to the front of my head and then to the sides.
-If you color your base as I do, do this first (roots only) then do your roots (highlights). I usually do my base color then do my roots for highlights 2 days later. This gives the base time to set as I only shampoo the next day and leaves a day in between the shampoo and the highlights.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So surprised at how well this worked !! Used the lighter blonde one on length hair that was already highlighted like a caramel color. I didn't get too close to my roots which was my fault, I didn't think I selected strands evenly on both sides and left it on around 50-55 minutes. The results honestly are comparable to a salon, just very even and multi faceted. Would definitely do again.

on 9/7/2012 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

SO HAPPY WITH THIS! I got the Honey kit for medium-dark brown hair, my hair is naturally med-dark brown.. used the product as instructed, left in my hair for about 30 mins and I now have the PERFECT frosted brown/blonde hair. My hair now looks really beachy, gorgeous and kinda like the VS model look (think Alessandra and Adriana's hair from a while ago). Love love love and I will keep using this stuff forever and ever and ever.

on 9/2/2012 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just tried this today and I LOVE it! I was a little nervous about blonde highlighting at home. I usually dye my own hair but go to the salon for highlights. My husband helped me pull the hair through the cap, and i left the dye on for 55 minutes so it wouldn't be orange or brassy. I will continue to buy this product. My hair came out amazing!

on 9/2/2012 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I normally have medium brown hair. I used this kit to OMBRE my hair, not as a highlighting kit. So I have no experience with the cap. Anyways! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this product! Actually makes me hair blonde and not brassy orange. I split my hair on two sides. Then I start placing color on my tips. Then after 20mins I add more higher up on my hair then after 15 add some more a little closer to the crown of my head then about 8 mins later hop in the shower and I get beauitful ombre. Highly recommend this kit! I used the blonde to light brown kit. I've used the medium brown honey one once and wasn't as crazy about the results as I am with the blond to light brown. It doesn't have brassy notes in it like the honey kit does.

Popular Hair Color Products