August 23, 2014 | 1111 users online

Eyeliner - Smashbox - Cream Eyeliner in Smashing Caviar

rated 1 of 5 on 6/28/2006 12:02:00 AM More reviews by belleangelique

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this eyeliner off of EBay for 14 bucks and I still think that was way too much for this crap. I agree that it smears as soon as you put it on and I would recommend Urban Decay's Primer Potion to even get the stuff to stick to your eyelids. With the PP it will last but it fades eventually. Without the PP it smears instantly and just makes you look like you need some sleep. Don't even think about wearing it to a club without PP, you will end up looking like a greasy lidded racoon. Overall, don't waste your time or money, try Mac fluidlines instead.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2006 11:07:00 PM More reviews by jenny_c

I generally agree with most of the reviews below. This eyeliner fades, smudges, bleeds and does not last the entire day without multiple re-applications. I have oily eyelids which made it even worse. I also found that because it isn't matte and doesn't stay put, it irritates my eyes and I feel really sleepy after I apply it inside my eyelid since it burns. I far prefer Stila's Smudgepots over this eyeliner. I also agree that it is a very faint gray color and comes nothing close to a black black that most women like. If anything it should be used to create a smokey eye, but shouldn't be used for eyeliner alone. But for that occasional use, it's not worth the $22.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2006 7:37:00 AM More reviews by DommeDiva

I don't understand all the bad reviews. This stuff absolutely works for me. I was able to this on like a pro, especially with the flat brush that came with it. I did the angelina winged cat eye look and it looked soo sexy. I've been trying to create that look with other types of liner and it just hasnt worked. I love the thin line that this creates and I can also smudge it for a thicker line if I choose. It's so versatile. I have the palette with many other smashbox liner colors. Im glad that I took a chance and tried it. Very happy! I plan on trying out other smashbox products even though I've always been a MAC girl.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/4/2006 12:52:00 AM More reviews by Starfie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Horrid horrid horrid!!! This liner is just plain rubbish! Bought it from Sephora after asking a SA her opinion of the best black eyeliner they had to offer. Apparently, she lied through her teeth. That was 22$ very well spent. Not only is it not pigmented at all (perpetually grey for me), it also had a habit of smudging like no other. I don't have oily lids and although I admit many liners have a habit of eventually giving me those panda rings, smashbox was king! Blinked twice and I was transformed into "gothic girl"...not exactly what I was going for. Thank God I didn't leave the house unaware. I have paid so much less for so much more. Even the most mediocre of drugstore liners can beat the performance of this.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/26/2006 2:06:00 PM More reviews by specialkalle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My aunt ordered this for me from QVC along with the eyeliner brush. I really don't like the liner, it's gooey, messy, and fades very fast. At $22 a pop, I would not ever buy this when other more quality products cost less (MAC fluidline $14.50, Bobbi Brown long wear gel eyeliner $18)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2006 4:10:00 PM More reviews by empressxia

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

DO NOT BUY THIS. I saw this on QVC. It sounded so great on TV. Cream Eyeliner SUCKS. Caviar looks like a true black but when applied (I even used the Smashbox Eyeliner Brush) the color FADED to gray. I tried using more but still can't get it to show up as a real black. Bottom line - Creme Eyeliner FADES like crazy. The STAYING POWDER is also HORRIBLE. I'm not saying this because I hate Smashbox, in fact I love their makeup brushes and primers, but Creme Eyeliners just suck.

Try MAC Fluidline if you want a black liner that don't fade and stays forever.

EDIT - I tried my creme eyeliner again. They key is to put A LOT on the brush to get a black line, otherwise the color will fade. It's still not as good as MAC fluidline though. With fluidline, I only had to use a little bit to get a black line.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2006 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Michi_Chan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This stuff is a joke!! I saw it on the Shopping Channel here in Canada and the representative from Smashbox said that this liner would set in 60 seconds and then be smudgeproof, which is what I was looking for after having liners wear off, turn colours or transfer onto my top lid. But, much to my disapointment, it turns out that lady was lying. Big, fat, ball-faced lying. This liner couldn't BE worse for smudging!! Quite honestly, no liner I've ever used has ever smudged as much as this one, and it turns from black when I first apply it to a gross grey about 1 hour later. I do have oily eyelids but even with the best lid primer it still fades, smudges AND creases!! Oh, in addition, for the price I had to pay, you get very little product.

So:

- Fades

- Smudges

- Creases

= DO NOT BUY!!

I will never be fooled into buying another Smashbox product again. Way to alienate customers. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2006 12:25:00 AM More reviews by Shakeitdontbreakit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this at Sephora. I usually use powder liner (Trish) and I love the thin line a flat brush applied liner gives. Now that there are other options like creams and gels, I figured I would check them out and avoid the whole black powder fallout on my cheeks situation.
I asked the salesgirl which liner is best. I rarely do this because I am one of those horrible people who thinks that I know everything and I don't need anyone else's advice (except my fellow MUAers, of course). Well, I guess it serves me right for buying this without consulting the MUA reviews, because that F&^%$ing sales girl insisted that this is THE BEST and stays put no matter what. I never have a hard time with my eyeliner smudging but I did ask her specifically because it looked so greasy in the store. She was all "It's the hot lights". Hot lights my ass. I went home, put this on, caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror an hour later and thought "who is that poor, drunken prostitute??" Then I realized, it's ME! That pathetic creature with the two greasy black eyes is ME with my new Smashbox cream liner on. From now on, it's MUA and THEN Sephora.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2005 4:08:00 PM More reviews by SaraLee2

UPDATE: MAC fluidline has replaced this entirely. Goes on easily, smudges perfectly and stays put all day. I'll probably never use this again

I really want to adore this. It's absolutely perfect for that smokey eye look. Goes on smoothly and easily. Smudges perfectly without feeling like it's damaging my delicate eye area. But it doesn't stay put at all on my upper lashes. It continues to smudge until its gone, even though I never touch my eyes. Under my lower lashes it stays perfect all day. I still love the way it looks, but usually use only on the bottom, and LM's black violet pencil on top, which is also great and smudges nicely, but stays put. I would still buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2005 9:14:00 PM More reviews by Amandafly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this!! Sometimes I get in the mood to wear creme eyeliner because it's more dramatic and blendable, and this fits the bill. I've tried Bobbi Brown and I don't like it as much, this is high drama, smokey and perfect!!