Ouidad Climate Control Gel

3.7

on 6/26/2006 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I'm not sure about the frizz control of this product but for those who wanna where a straight style this is an excellent heat protector. It gives the hair an unbelievable shine and it feels like silk when your done styling. I love it for straight styles, as a hair gel for wet stlyes it doesnt do very much for me. This was why I originally bought the product, to wear my hair wet and give the waves some definition but it's just not for my hair type when it comes to that. I was happy to see that the directions also let you know that it was a dual purpose product, so for those of you with curly hair that wanna go straight sometimes, and/or didnt like this product for your curls, give it a try for your straight styles. You might be pleased.

on 4/29/2006 2:12:00 PM

Nothing can beat the performance of this product for my naturally curly hair. I first use Balancing Rinse as a leave-in, and follow with this. It does have a wet or crunchy look when it first dries, but you're going to get this with almost any curl enhancing product. I just run my hands over it in the ponytail method, and I get the best soft bouncy spiral curls I've ever been able to achieve with any other products... and I'm a product junkie.

on 3/15/2006 9:53:00 AM

I have coarse hair that I get chemically relaxed. I normally blowdry and flat iron/curl iron. Whenever I need to give it a break I let it air dry, and it turns very curly/nappy. This gel gives my hair control. A little goes a long way. I apply it mostly to the ends, otherwise I find that it weighs my hair down too much. But it really does keep the frizzies away! I like to mix in a little glossing serum.

on 12/13/2005 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a staple for me, probably my favorite hair product. I can't live without it even in the winter when it's not humid. I use a diffuser to dry my curls so it helps my hair stay soft and not frizzy. I follow this product with Paul Mitchell Styling Foam.

Recently I tried mixing this gel with the Ouidad Shine Hair Glaze (just a small amount) and I really like that combo.

on 10/8/2005 8:36:00 PM

I like this product but it took a little experimentation to get the results I wanted. Applied alone, it is far too stiff and crunchy. I mix it with the Tress F/X gel and/or the Curl Quencher gel. I apply only a little of this to the ends, since I don't like stuck-together ends, and I apply more of it at the root area, where I like more definition since my fine hair tends to go flat and limp at the top. I bought the professional-size bottle over a year ago and I still haven't run out, so it's a pretty good value if used sensibly.

on 10/4/2005 5:38:00 PM

I didn't find anything extaordinary to justify the astronomically expensive gel. It didn't do anything for my hair that regular drugstore gels don't do for a fraction of the price.

on 8/30/2005 4:09:00 PM

I found that this gel on it's own can be a bit sticky and crunchy - although it does the job on frizz. For everyday use, I mix this 50/50 with Tress FX. It gives a bit more hold than Tress FX, and isn't as sticky.

on 8/19/2005 1:32:00 AM

This is an OK gel but outrageously overpriced IMO. And calling it a "climate control heat and humidity gel" is a bit of a joke. My area has had very hot, very humid weather of late and I found that this gel does not hold up well at all in those conditions. According to Paula B's book this is actually not a gel you'd want to use in high heat or humidity, because the conditioning agents in it draw moisture to the hair which can cause the hair shaft to swell and your hair to frizz up. Every time I used this in hot, humid weather I ended up with major frizz, and I guess that's why. Be forewarned that if you air dry your hair it will dry very hard and crunchy. I had heard this was a lightweight gel and was surprised at how crunchy my hair was. I did try the "ponytail method" mentioned here to smooth out the crunch and it helped. Overall I don't think this gel merits the high price tag.

on 7/6/2005 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I really like this gel for my NC hair. It does control frizz well, but I must use a heavy conditioner with it(before it). I did not notice any damage to my hair with the cones. THe smell is OK, nit the best. The bottle is boring. the black writing usually fades and stains my white shower though.(When I use shampoo and Cond, this product is not in my shower) Not a good thing. It will look crunchy and wet looking when it dries. Just get a little of the Ouidad shine gel or Pureology shine drops and rub your hair from the mid to the ends then the root to the mid. Do not stretch out the curl or break up the curl. Like a PP, kind of pretend to put it in a pony tail.

on 6/30/2005 7:18:00 PM

Silicone is one of the *very* worst things for curly hair and why they put this crap on the market is beyond me. If you want crisp, wet look 80s hair that dries out like a bale of hay after a week of using this, then you have found the right product.