September 18, 2014 | 1906 users online

Bronzers - New York Color - Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder in Sunny 720

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2013 11:05:00 PM More reviews by karinebibou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

PRIX a REVOIR

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2013 1:51:00 AM More reviews by Mmmel

My skin color is light to medium and this does not show up on my face at all. I try to swatch it with my finger and it's as though I rubbed my finger on translucent powder. I tried to love it like the YouTube gurus do but it does nothing for me. The packaging is nice but is not durable. However, it was less than $3!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2013 4:16:00 PM More reviews by beautyforless

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This...this can't be.
99.99% of bronzers I try turn orange on me. Whether in 5 minutes or 5 hours, it's bound to happen at some point. The top reviews for this all point a finger at this bronzer and scream "ORANGE ORANGE ORANGE!!!"
So why in makeup's name did I pick it up? Curiosity, I suppose. I'm also very stubborn, and, based on the rating this bronzer has, figured there's a chance it could work for me, however slim it may be. It's only $2 anyways. Even for a college student, that's cheap.
But I was still too hesitant to try it out. Bronzer is one of the last steps in my face routine, and if turned into Snooki, I would have to start over, or figure out a way to rock the Oompa Loompa look all day. So I waited till the evening when it would be too dark for anyone to care, and in the lighting of my room, gave it a shot.
Okay...wow, that's pretty good. No orange so far, just looks like bronzer should. Nice, but I should give it some time. It's gonna oxidize, I just know it.
A movie party and a game of Apple to Apples later (because college students are adults, as I'm sure you can tell), I checked again. Still no orange. Was it the lighting? Had to be. I tested it out the next day, checking it out in artificial and natural lighting. No sign of an Oompa Loompa face. I even asked one of my guy friends...
Me: Hey, does my face look orange to you?
Him: Wha...oh, no. Why?
Me: Trying out a new bronzer.
Him: Okay, what's bronzer?
Okay, it was time to admit it, I wasn't going to get a Snooki face from using Sunny. I found this so surprising. I have a bad history with bronzers. Heck, Sunny even looked like it was gonna turn orange on me in the pan, so what happened?
Well...I'm not sure. But for a girl whose spent some time looking for a good, non orangey bronzer (and found...maybe 2 worth keeping) this is a pleasant surprise. Being that I'm pale and cool-toned, the fact that Sunny worked for me and not the other tanner more yellow-toned reviewers could point to why this bronzer stayed trough to it's bronzy hues.
It's not perfect, but that's just fine. Blending takes some time, and the packaging is...well, it's what you'd expect. I wouldn't cry or bemoan NYC if it was ever discontinued, but I would, however, ask those people how on earth they created a bronzer that would only work for people who bronzer rarely works on.
Whether its through makeup voodoo or the right undertones, either way, I'll take it.

7 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by AllAboutTheGlamLife

I love it, although it can be a bit orange...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by 6lex10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Currently I use a high end bronzer in the $30 range, so I wanted to try out something cheap in price from the drugstore. I wanted to love this product after hearing all the raves on YouTube, but It fell short from my expectations. First the perks of this product. . . The packaging is really nice, but sometimes the compact doesn't close all the way. The price is fantastic!!! It's so cheap. Out of all the drugstore bronzers I've tried this has the best color to it, not to red and not to orange.
Now for the downsides. . . It does nothing to bronze up my face at all. This was really surprising to me because I'm only a NC20. I have to scrape the product to get a slight amount of color. Maybe this was just my experience with it, I don't know. For now though I'll stick with my Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer.

EDIT: I don't know what changed, but I love this bronzer!!! I find myself gravitating towards this bronzer over my highend ones. It is a very flattering, natural looking, sunkissed color.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2013 11:21:00 AM More reviews by Jen283

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product is an excellent quality for the price. I have pretty fair neutral/warm skin, and this looks great as a contour. THIS IS MATTE. I really do not understand why some reviewers are saying this has shimmer in it. There is no shimmer, shine, sheen, sparkle, nothing. I like this because it is lighter than my NARS laguna, so I don't have to be as precise when I apply it if I'm in a rush. This has warm undertones, so on some people it might turn out orangey. If you have cool skin, you might want to splurge on Benefit's Hoola. It has gray undertones so it won't be orangey at all. The packaging is pretty bad, but it was only $3 so that's ok. I threw out the sponge that came with it. I apply this with a Sephora pro contour brush (#74).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Iammelody

For reference I'm about NW 20, brunette
-No orange
-NO glitter or even a sheen. Completely matt but not flat.
-easy to apply and blend
-decent sized sturdy compact
-somewhat easily available( although you can run in to "sold out" often")
-laughably cheap

Its a great bronzer and even if it was 10x more $$ it would still be a great one.

At the time of writing this, there are 528 reviews. Majority positive. That many people can't be wrong.
Even a lot of the negative reviews have something positive to say.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by bailokaye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is not very pigmented at all. I'm pretty pale and I couldn't get it to show up no matter how much I applied. I really wish it was darker because I love the packaging and price.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/11/2013 6:23:00 PM More reviews by ihoardmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

oh no. here i go about to upset the cult followers of this product. the powder itself wasn't bad at all! it was a smooth application, not patchy, good staying power.... but (on me) it looked orange! and muddy! oh how i wished i could have loved this. packaging was fine, price was great... product was not too good! although it reminds me tons of the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil (in the original shade, the deeper one is better) in the way that it is super warm toned. overall, for me it was a dud.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by macprobossychik

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I finally decided to give this cult favorite a try and I was impressed. For the price, it does a very good job for my complexion, which is NC44. It doesn't show up orangy on me at all, which is a bonus. I use this bronzer when I'm in a rush and there is no need to break out my more expensive ones. I love it and I'm pretty sure I'll repurchase it when I run out =)