OPI Top Coat

2.7

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Acrylates Copolymer, SD Alcohol 40B, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Etocrylene, Benzophenone-1, Dimethicone, CI 60725

Very simply, this is a horrible top coat. I tried different methods and the outcome was always the same: bubbles and never seemed to dry.

on 1/28/2012 4:16:00 PM

Let me start out by saying that I have never used this as a "stand-alone" topcoat. Whenever I do my nails I top the polish with a quick-dry immediately (almost always Seche Vite). And then, if I wear the polish for more than a day I will add a coat of OPI topcoat as a refresher. This is where this topcoat really shines. It never gives me shrinkage, over my already dry manicure it dries really quickly (around 15 minutes until it won't dent), and it is incredibly shiny. I have tried it over many drugstore and salon brands including OPI, Zoya, Essie, Chanel, China Glaze and Deborah Lippmann and it always yields the same shiny chip-resistant results. Quick dry topcoats aren't meant to be put over dry polish, so this is perfect when I need to maintain the shine. It is also nice and thin so subsequent coats don't make my nails look thick. I probably wouldn't use this as my regular topcoat but it is my perfect refresher topcoat. I will repurchase when my bottle runs out.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is thick and bubbles and doesnt dry hard. its like. jelly ish (which makes it prone to making marks and what not). I like the natural base coat though.

on 11/30/2011 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I LOVE the OPI nail polishes but the makers really dropped the ball on this one =((( I had been searching for something shiny and glossy and has some abilty to dry quickly .... This top coat does neither. Back to the drawing board on this one.

on 11/25/2011 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love OPI top coat and when my first bottle turned stringy (tiny amount left in bottle after 9 months use) I decided to try Essie Good To Go instead because of the whole formaldehyde thing (i'm big on going with reviews) - big mistake. I had no problem with OPI Top Coat, my polish (only tried with OPI and Barry M) stayed on for a week no problem. Very shiny, consistency not too thin nor too thick, smooth application, no shrinking or denting (the complete opposite of Essie!). Am now going back to OPI, can't believe the negative reviews of it. I'd definately recommend it. Obviously it isn't a fast drying top coat but it does dry (a while after doing my nails - when i think theyre dry - i run them under the cold tap and dry gently, don't know if it helps but i can then do normal tasks and don't have problems) and i'd rather wait the time than have tips shrunken up!

on 11/14/2011 10:59:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am quite surprised at the negative reviews. I love this top coat, and have just bought a second one. It is a bit expensive (as all OPI products are in AUS), but it is my favourite top coat.
It doesn't chip, peel or dent for me. I do one coat over colour and it makes my nails very shiny and glossy. I usually refresh my nails with another coat of top coat at about day 3-4 and my whole manicure can last a week.
Besides the lovely shine, my favourite thing about it is the wide brush. It only takes 2 strokes to cover my nail, so it is really quick to apply (which is what I want when doing something as boring as a top coat).

on 11/12/2011 3:59:00 PM

This is the only OPI product I've ever tried that I thought was worth the expensive price (usually 8 dollars) because I've tried many top coats NYC, Sally Hanson, Wet and Wild of lesser quality and while those did nothing to prolong my color this one did, it helped with chipping and made my manicure last longer.

Note: I just red all the other reviews, I'm really surprised this topcoat is always completely dry in 3 min, I've never had any denting or sliding so I'm not sure what's going on. All I can say is so far I disagree. I mean this is what they always use in salons, shouldn't it be one of the best?

on 11/6/2011 11:22:00 AM

OPI downfall!!!!! it become very sticky after few uses.And it takes forever to dry out. But what makes me rate it one star is the lid stuck tightly like superglue on the bottle after 1/3 were used and it can't be opened by bare hands! Every time I want to use it afterward I have to soak it in boiling water to open it. And believe me, I tried to remove any top coat on the lid and the neck, but it still stuck. I eventually throw it away

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is the worst top coat i have ever used. I love OPI polishes but this just sucks big time. This first time i used it it was good but after that it just went downhill from there. Mine got gloopy and clumpy and it takes forever and a day for it to dry and it always ruins my polish. I had half a bottle left and had to throw it out because it wouldnt go on smooth anymore and it was just so unmanagble. It really is a waste of money.

on 10/29/2011 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I love OPI in general for polishes and base coats/treatments ... but OPI's top coat suckssss big time!

My staple "brands" for polishes are OPI, Essie, China Glaze, Chanel, etc ... all of which wear exceptionally well for me. However I recently had a professional manicure done at a salon that used the OPI Top Coat on me (my staple is Seche Vite) and literally within 6 hours, I had a chip in my manicure (which was an OPI polish). That has never happened with my SV, Poshe or Barielle top coats. ONLY with OPI's. Needless to say, it left me far less than impressed and the one or two other times I've tried OPI's top coat, the same thing has happened. While I love OPI polishes, their top coat leaves a lot to be desired. Not one I will ever purchase, I'll stick with my beloved SV. continued >>

Top Rated OPI Products